Is this cache dangerous?

xyzabc

Given the information provided... I have no idea.

Certainly being approached by an armed officer is alarming, but was he justified in his actions? Is the cache placed where it shouldn't be, or was this guy just having a power trip? One thing you mentioned was being along the fence. Are there signs indicating that people aren't allowed around that area or what?

I guess I'd just like to know more about what happened. Just having an officer ask you to leave is not, in and of itself, reason for the cache to be archived in my mind. If the cache is somewhere it shouldn't be, then it should be archived.

Have you had any contact with the owner of this cache?

Jamie

the large grey gate blocking thwe road is a good enough indication that people are not supposed to be there.

Furthermore, not only was he armed, but he had the gun drawn, loaded, ready to fire, and pointed at the center of my chest. Military personell are trained to aim at the center of the largest visible mass (one of the things I remember from boot camp last year).

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

WTF?

I don't like that at all. icon_mad.gif The owner had no business removing that log. TJ, you only stated what happened to you... what's the owner afraid of? The truth?

It looks like he deleted Jeremy's log too. Good grief. I know if I were you, TJ.. I'd almost be more upset at somebody censoring my words than some guy with a gun.

I'm nearly annoyed enough to email the guy myself about this.. but I won't. I'll let it go.

Boy that really get's my goat. furious.gif

Jamie

Obvisouly this is not a very responsible Geocacher. First he placed a cache next to an AIRPORT (not the best idea, considering the evenst on 9/11), then when I posted a log stating that the cache should be archived, AND Jeremy agreed (both on the site and in the e-mail he sent me), the cache owner deleted BOTH.

Perhaps I will avoid this person's caches from now on.

tj.jpg

Now I'm curious. TJ, you've given bits and pieces of the story. Can you re-create your log here in the forums, plus whatever Jeremy wrote? There's no censorship in the forums. We can't even delete our own posts!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

The jist of my log was similar you what i sent Jeremy.

The Log:

This cache should be archiver immeadiately. Once I realized where it was located, I turned around and starting walking back out from the area. It was too close to the fence surrounding the airport. On the way out, I was stoppep, at gunpoint, by a MP. Once I explained what I was doing, he let me go.

I felt my life was in danger, and i do not want other cachers to feel the same way while caching.

My e-mail to Jeremy:

Jeremy,

I just got home (about 5 minutes ago) from searching for part 3 of this

multi-cache. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36589

If you read the log, you will find that this is a very dangerous

location, as I was nearly arrested. I'm not sure what the policy on such

a cache is, but please give this issue a long thinking over before

acting. I felt that my life was in danger, and that is not a feeling I

want others to have while Caching.

Trevor Wilson,

TJWilson1

Jeremy's response:

Thanks for the info. I made the cache temporarily unavailable so it can

be moved to a safer location or archived altogether. If nothing happens,

let me know and I'll take further action (give it a week)

Jeremy

tj.jpg

Trevor, I'm sorry you had that experience, and I applaud you for turning around and calling off your hunt once you realized the placement was inappropriate.

You do not have hundreds of caches near you, so it's a shame that this one was not thought out better.

And I agree with Jamie, the placer should be apologizing all over himself, rather than deleting logs.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

I am the owner of the multi cache that you are talking about. It has been changed to a traditional cache due to people having difficulty finding the mini caches and the incident that Trevor had.

Trevor, I feel bad that you had to go through all that but I think you should have contacted me as to the cache placement before emailing admin and starting a thread here about and me and my character. Think about it, you could be searching for any cache and have something unpleasant happen. Sorry to say Trevor, but I think you were just unlucky that day. I have spent a lot of time around the airport and have never had a run in with anybody. What time of day/night did you go looking for the cache?

The mini cache you were looking for was the 3rd of 4 in my multi cache. The fourth being the main cache. The 3rd cache was located between 200 and 300 feet from the airport fence and about 75 feet from the road which you must have parked on (Garrett Drive).

As for being irresponsible and immature, please don't make statements that you can't support. Especially when those statements are about me, someone who you have never met.

My reason for deleting the logs (and all other information on my cache page) is that I planned on changing the cache to a traditional cache and didn't want people to go through what you did. As you can see, the page is almost completely updated now. ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36589 )

When I saw that my cache was unavailable and read what had happened I deleted everything on the cache page to prevent further incidents. The location was well scouted out and deemed to be suitable.

Jamie Z, I, as the owner have the right to do what I wish to my cache page. I deleted the logs as per the reasons above. As for censoring Trevor's words, I did not, am not and will not do any such thing. His log entry is at the bottom of this post. Also, why would I fear "the truth"?

Anyway, as I said, I am sorry that you had an unpleasant time while searching for my cache Trevor. Hopefully, you can put it behind you and continue to participate in gecaching. If you do not wish to search for my caches, the choice is yours.

I will speak to the MPs this evening, explain the situation and get their story.

Log entry

"I juast attemtped part 3 of this cache. It took me right up to, and along the fence surrounding the airport. I decided not to persue the mini-cache, and started walking out. I was stopped, at gun point, by an MP. I explained to him what I was doing, and he let me go. This cache should be archived immeadiatley, before someone does get arrested."

Thanks to Trofeo for explaining his side of the story. While I disagree with deleting TJ's log, I understand it was not for malicious reasons.

I suspect that Trofeo, being a somewhat experienced cacher, thought his cache placement was safe and proper. What we all need to remember when hiding a cache though, not everyone is as experienced as ourselves, nor do they already know where they are going. TJ probably wandered a bit farther, or approached the cache from a different direction, then Trofeo anticipated. Luckily nobody got shot, but from reading TJ's account of what happened to him, I think Jeremy did the right thing by disabling the cache ASAP

Illegitimus non carborundum!