Etrex 30: Pro's and cons.

Reception with the 20/30 series is great with or without GLONASS, and so is battery life.

There are still some firmware issues present in v 3.x. Depending on your usage scenario you may or may not have a good time with the device. The more serious ones seem to have been sorted out.

I have an eTrex 30. The eTrex 30 is the most accurate, and best behaved GPS I've ever owned.

On our last 8 day canoe trip two of the Garmin 62's crashed out and had to be master reset in the field. Three of us had eTrex 30's and all three of us had no problems. In our Friday night caching group the eTrex 30 has become the standard device as it's just perfect for hiking. It's not a Montana, but it also doesn't weigh what a Montana does on a lanyard around your neck.

We went with the 30 for the ANT+ mainly, not the compass. The range on the sending/receiving waypoints is pretty impressive from what I've seen in our group beaming waypoints around.

Firmware issues? Yeah I've seen a couple incredibly minor ones over the last year but still the best behaved Garmin I've owned since my eTrex Legend back in 2003.