Female Geocachers?

Guest TJWilson

Guest threelanes

Another women & teenage daughter team (two of threelanes) have hunted caches in 9 states. Yes, my husband got us started. I consider myself a true cacher after completing a multi-cache solo, with greyhound mix and cell-phone. We took my sister & husband while visiting over Thanksgiving and by Christmas they had their own GPS. My mother, who is very active and her 70's has accompanied us several times, in NY and NC. Not redheads...

Guest T-storm

I was introduced to geocching by the hubby, who had found his way to this site accidentally when randomly surfing the web. We found our first cache about 10-14 days after we found the site and have been regularly caching since. Usually one or the other of us can't stand to not go caching at least one day each weekend, and sometimes in the evening during the part of the year that the light lasts longer. On those occasions when we DON'T plan to go caching, little Geoferret will likely ask, so we go anyway! When hubby was going out of town on business recently he planned to meet up with cachers out there and I planned a trip out-of-town to visit a friend and introduce her family to caching. Unfortunately we all wound up sick and no one got to go!

And auburn hair...

T-storm

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest madphatboy2

I'll speak for my wife on this one. She is "geek impaired" on every aspect. I'm working her into learning how to log onto the website and using my GPS. She lead the trek today and did extremly well for her first time. She is a true cacher that is learning how to do it. (I'm very proud of my wife by the way. icon_smile.gif )

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! 3 female cachers here...

Sweety gal...48 finds. Goes with the family and has gotten really good at walking over uneven terrain...Too bad PTs can't incorperate g.caching into therapy!!

Butterfly girl. 50 finds. Trail blazer and flutter about kid. Makes ya smile just to see her go. Gets winded at on the return esp after a couple level 3 caches

Me..DxChallenged 51 finds. Mother to the 2 above. Learned of Geocaching last summer. 2 years prior researched and bought Fearless a Garmin III+. I thought it was a silly toy at the time....But it turned out to be one of our best investments. Looking to plan and attempt ever more difficult caches. And I've learned that discovering new places and taking time to really see what is there is more important that the number of finds....it's more important....it's more important...it's more important...(ok I'm trying to remember that).

hair color...strawberry brown/blonde though the bottle says golden brown....that red stuff just pops up!!

Family of 5 here with me, Eversure son and Fearless being the most motivated to cache.

DxChallenged

Guest EraSeek

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

Oh, and WOMEN RULE - men drool!

----------

Of course we drool! We're men! (that's what we do best) [ icon_wink.gif]

I started about a month ago, on my own. I found out about geocaching through the tv show "the screen savers" awhile back. My first time out I encountered a married couple closing in on the cache same as I was. I took up gecaching because it adds a nice demnsion to walking for health reasons.

My younger brother got me started on geocaching while visiting him at Thanksgiving. We found 9 caches while I was there. Got hooked right away.

Bought a GPS Unit as soon as I got back home. I LOVE IT! Would love to GeoCache more, but my family is not as motivated and around here you shouldn't go off by yourself because most of them are hidden in the Hills. Lots of steep climbing, etc. I have placed a couple easier caches in the city parks. Wish more people would do the same. A lunch hour type hunt or one you could do by yourself. It's great fun, gets you out of the house and gives you some exercise at the same time. Happy GeoCaching!!!

First heard of it on a backpacking forum where I hang out. Then I was given a GPS for Xmas -- to keep from getting lost on offtrail hikes in the woods, I guess! LOL!

Another friend I told about the GPS steered me to this website. Usually I hunt by myself (heck I go on vacations by myself! :-) Like the solitude and the woods. For GPSing, I like the travels through often little-known areas that locals share by their cache placement... and I like learning history of areas.

Dark brown hair here.

Up in this neck of the woods (oregon), there is a whole gaggle of women geocachers. We love the sport. I found geocaching through my roommate, oregone, of the time June 5, 2001 when we traipsed all around downtown portland looking for an urban cache.

As to this gagle's haircolor, it ranges from strawberry blond to medium auburn brown to dark burgundy brown.

--Makio, your daughter is really cute!--

I hunt with my sister, thus the name "sis". Sometimes my mom (70+) and my aunt (75+) come along. It's a great excuse to get outdoors, go places I never knew existed, and get away from the daily grind. I've been caching since September of 2001 with 81 finds. I have grey hair mixed in with the brown hair I was born with.

We're doing good on this thread. Only 1 month in and theres about 55-60 replies that are female cachers. If any of you know any onher female cachers, please encourage them to post to this thread.

1 month to go Ladies.

Now it's time for me to tell you all a little bit about how I plan to talley the results.

What I plan to do is count up the number of female cachers that post hee saying so, and get a percentage of that, minus about 5% for ladies that read but don't post and about 15% for ladies that don't read the forums at all (for a total of 20%). Then I will, at the end of the 2 month male voting session, do the same, with the same percentage taken out (to make forums 60% of the Geocaching population, which to me sounds about right considering that theres over 3000 members registered, and mayb about 5000 Cachers) and get a male/female percentage based on that 60%.

If any of you can understand that bit of numerical nonsense, then you know what I'm going to do. If not, just wait for the munmers.

TJWilson

TJWilson

Gander NF

http://205.251.227.199/gagaMy Caching Page

Yes! I am a female Geocacher. My other/better half and I actually started this out together. It was something he stumbled on while fooling around on the internet. At first I wasn't to excited. He didn't tell me really what it was, and I thought we looked silly walking on this boardwalk, looking for a Smiley Face clue. Once we did find it, I was hooked. It became an obsession for us! Its a great way for us to spend time together and see new things. Plus, we have met some GREAT people through an event in Northern Florida, and we couldn't ask for better friends. Now we're about to break 100 caches, and we base all our trips on geocaching!

-Saxy of the Night Crawlers

FGA - Florida Geocaching Assoc.

When my son asked for a GPS for Christmas, I searched on the web for info on them. That's when I found geocaching.com. He got his GPS, but I couldn't interest him in geocaching. Later, my husband wanted one, too. When we got his, I printed out the geocaching homepage for him. And we were off. Unfortunately, he's an armchair athlete, so if any big games are on, I'm stuck without a partner. So I've created my own account and cache without him when I can. It's more fun with two, but solo caching is better than no caching! For the record, I'm brunette.

There are a few female cachers here in Australia. I think I was one of the first ones. My husband got me involved(so I can drive and he can watch his GPS). I bought our first GPS about 3 years back , you know the big boys and their expensive little toys syndrome, and we have bought a better one since. I love the caching experience especially hunting down the caching shops. All women are born to shop.

I am in my 50's with, OH NO, grey hair.Have never been a red head.

My daughter is also a cacher in the SNAFUADV team from the Northern Territory. She is 26 and a brunette.

"If any of you can understand that bit of numerical nonsense, then you know what I'm going to do. If not, just wait for the munmers."

Considering the amount of data here, I sure hope you can do your times and gozintas better than your riten.

By the way, is there any way to see the data on just the single female cachers, say within 50 or 60 miles of my coords? purely out of curiosity of course.

i'll admit, i'm a guy--my fiancée is your typical city girl, and i'm an outdoorsy guy--hiking, biking, skiing, etc. we had pretty much ran the gamut of "city" stuff to do, and one day i suggested geocaching--i had been a member for quite some time, but had never gone hunting or hiding caches. anyhow, she took to it right away, and we go caching as often as possible. by the way, she's a redhead. 15T

well, you got another female here and a bit of a red head too. My good friend rebel_chick522 got me started in Febuary. We went down to south Louisiana and I have been hooked every since. It is a really neat sport. I try to get my kids involved in it as much as possible. They enjoy it too. I hope to keep doing it for a long time! Keep up the good work girls! icon_wink.gif

Yes I'm female and geocacher and what's more: Dutch, from the Netherlands, also referred to as Holland, but that's just a part of our country. I like geocaching very much, but am still studying so don't have a lot of time off, to go out for a search. We've got very much "treasure's" hidden here in our country, so if one of you, mostly American, ladies would ever visit us, don't go to Amsterdam, but mail me and we'll go geocaching together!

Read newspaper article 6 days ago, now have GPS & know where first cache is, pouring down rain, tho, so hopefully tomorrow!! My S/O thinks I'm crazy, but I truly believe he will warm to the subject, once he's out there. >^,^<

My thanks to everyone here for all the good info & advice, I have learned more in the last week than I did last year!!

42, Reddish/Brown with Grey Highlights, Blue Eyes. icon_biggrin.gif - Lynnel

Very interesting idea. Red's are more adventurous, for sure! I bought the GPS for Shylock but I've been by his side every moment. I'm the true hiker in the family. Shylock is the computer nerd. I REALLY needed away to get him off his *** and on the trail with ME!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

_I'm starting this thread to find out how many female Geocachers there are on this forum.

_

As a little side study, how many of you have red hair? Seems to to me to be a higher percentage of redheads caching.

Female geocacher here. I became interested after seeing a report on 60 minutes or dateline or one of those documentary shows. Got the gps unit, had a hell of a time deciphering lousy, vague instructions, but after I learned it, I was off and running. I go by myself during the week, with boyfriend on weekends. Have only hidden 1 cache so far, due to lack of appropriate parkland here in San Antonio. Most parks here are not "wild" enough-just glorified picnic spots. Many caches here disappear shortly after they are

hidden. Will keep looking for isolated places cause I love to hide stuff!

My wife goes with me for the ride, and is good for 3 finds in a day before she is 'done'. She's a Brunette. My oldest daughter would go, go, go, go if she could. Brunette. My youngest also goes with me but can't decide if she hates it or loves it. You can't do it two days in a row though, that's too much for her, unless he finds the cache then she's happy and excited. Can you tell she's Blonde?

I found geocaching.com at another site (which I don't remember) after looking it over I thought it might be fun.

I found a place that sold GPS's and sent my husband to buy one. We have found 4 caches so far.

We live in Illinois so the weather has not been real good for geocaching. There are quite a few caches within 15 miles of where we live. I pick the caches, my husband handles the GPS. icon_biggrin.gif

Hi, I am Sammie, half of TeamHunter. My husband and I Geocache together. I read an article about the hobby and showed it to my husband. He has always been interested in GPS and maps etc. We like to walk and visit new places. After finding our first cache, I went out and bought my own Etrex. Hubby uses a Garmin 45xl. We have also placed four caches and 1 travel bug. It is something fun we can do together and see places we never would have found other wise. icon_biggrin.gif

oh and light brown hair

Ron and I are newbies. We just caught the geocaching bug this month after hearing about it on TV. Of the two of us, I spend the most time on the web site watching logs and checking out the forums. He usually drives and I navigate. Our teenage daughter (also blonde) joins us sometimes too. She likes it but can't be too enthusiastic about something that she does with her parents. icon_razz.gif

My folks are flying in from Alabama next weekend. We are surprising them with a GPS for their anniversary. They love to spend time together and walk daily. We figured that they would enjoy a little geocaching while on their walks. I'm sure that my mom (a brunette) will enjoy placing caches. And I'm sure that they will be full of creative treasures. icon_smile.gif

Hello all

My husband and I were introduced to this sport/hobby in February of this year by my brother. I bought my husband a GPS unit for his birthday, and we have been off and running since that time.

We always go out together, but I seem to have the best luck in finding the caches first for some reason. I hope to go out hunting alone soon..just haven't had the time yet!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

My husband and I go geocaching together. I am the mover by perhaps 51%.

We discovered geocaching a few months ago when we were walking our Labradoodle Hawkeye in a local park and saw a teenager holding a device at arms length, turning in a circle, muttering something to his mother about "signal". We asked what they were up to, and the rest is history. - CacheAndCary

I'm a single female from Indiana.(with red hair sometimes, sometimes blonde, though it is truly brunette deep down)

First heard about geo-caching from local newspaper article, then a co-worker emailed it to me later that same day. We both agreed it sounded like fun and he had an extra GPS I could borrow.

We compete against each other on getting caches, though sometimes we go together.

I cache while on vacation and business trips, and any free weekends or evenings, just give me the opportunity.

I'll go alone when I can't manage to take along either my son, a fellow Geo-cacher, or friend, and I am always willing to initiate a novice.

I've also managed to talk my roommate into caching, though she isn't a redhead.

I am at #49 currently and plan to advance that number this weekend.

GeoLo

Greetings!!!Here is another female geocacher(blond)!!I learned about it from my brother.I bought his old GPS...he is 'upgrading'.I generally go alone.I have gone with my brother and have dragged a few friends along from time to time...one is hooked.My hubby would prefer to play golf...something I will never understand,since I prefer the woods.I'm sure I'll get him out there eventually ;D!

Howdy!

2 female geocachers here with 2 neices along for the hunt. A 4-pack of wild women!

One of us found the geocaching site by accident and it has just snowballed from there. The kids love it! Always anxious to see what kind of goodies others leave behind. A great way to teach kids to follow directions AND share. We are hooked. icon_biggrin.gif

icon.jpg

[This message was edited by DuckPondGang on April 09, 2002 at 03:45 AM.]

I like the word Web-ling used "cyberphobic". My wife Libby has went on all but 1 or our 66 finds and helped with all the hides but she is definitely cyberphobic so she doesn't get on the forums...yet!

Our hunts are totally mutual, Libby usually runs the gps while I drive to the sites (could probably skip this step with a little more research up front but how much fun would that be). Once on the actual hunt we share duties, she is usually better at finding the final nesting spots.

I'm thinking about changing our user name to Rusty&Libby to reflect the team aspect.

It is great to see so many female cachers, the endearing title "geek" is not just for men anymore icon_biggrin.gif

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

I found out about caching when two men approached a vounteer at a trailhead and asked if he knew where the "green box" was, and then told him about the website. After the volunteer told me about it, I went to the website and checked it out and ended up going up to find the cache the other men were looking for with the park's GPS. Once I found it, I went out, bought my own GPS and have been hunting ever since. All except 10 of my 48 (and counting) finds were on my own until my boyfriend decided it wasn't as crazy as he thought and is now as hooked as I am. I do the driving and he does the navigating. Blond and blue.

[This message was edited by Ranger51 on April 16, 2002 at 11:53 AM.]

I'm always out walking my doggers and a friend suggested that I go caching sometime, that the doggers would love it. So we went to "Looking for Ducks" and the doggers did enjoy the walk and I enjoyed finding the treasures!

So now I take my doggers (i.e. dubbed 'geo-doggers') out caching with me all the time and we have a great time!

Hair color? Not many votes for JetBlack but it seems to work for me icon_biggrin.gif

Entropy in Motion

but I didn't see it until today. So! I'm going to add my self to the list anyways!

I'm a 27 year old female geocacher and I told my hubbie about geocaching when I read about it in a comic book called, "Knights of the Dinner Table" (It's really funny IF you're into table-top role playing).

I cache hunt with my hubbie and our 14 mo. old son.

The Best Family

C.I.A.

Female....

Blond....

Live in Southern California....

Bought my new Etrex Legend so that I can find my Blue BMW (color coordinated to my Legend, of course, when I lose it at the shopping mall.

... or was it the other way around??? I think I bought the Legend because it was blue and matched the BMW???

I'm a 42 year old mom of 3 active boys and I stumbled upon geocaching without any male help. I found out about it in a weird way. I saw Planet of the Apes and wanted more information about the ending. I searched the Internet and found out that the producers/creators were running a geocaching game, with prizes that were tied to the film. I was hooked! I've taken my sons, my friends, and just myself on many hunts. In fact, we are heading for Rocky Point, Mexico (Puerto Penasco) and we'll hopefully find the 3 caches hidden there.

Geocaching is a great sport to do with your kids. We work together to find the 'treasure'. We respect each other's abilities. I love it.