Female Geocachers?

Guest TJWilson

quote:
Originally posted by Kije:

This talk remind me of poem I hear at bar in Novgorod. It not so funny after translate to English but good slapping knees in Rus. Roses are red violets are blue I am a schizophreniac and so am I. Funny, no?

Sock puppet good. Sasha tell funny story at night with sock and cigar. Cigar smell like old shoe and sock do too. "Mr. Stalin" make us laugh hard and I get pertsovka in nose. Sasha went to Chechnya. "Mr. Stalin" not funny now.

The day the Americans landed on the moon, Stalin called his best pilots into a secret meeting and told them "The Americans have landed on the moon. Well, we must do better. We are going to land on the sun." The pilots looks stunned for a moment and one speaks up and says "But Premier, the sun is too hot. We will never be able to land." Stalin looks at him and says "Do you think I'm stupid? We will do it at night."

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Cojones:

The day the Americans landed on the moon, Stalin called his best pilots into a secret meeting and told them "The Americans have landed on the moon. Well, we must do better. We are going to land on the sun." The pilots looks stunned for a moment and one speaks up and says "But Premier, the sun is too hot. We will never be able to land." Stalin looks at him and says "Do you think I'm stupid? We will do it at night."

Impressive - especially since Stalin died well before the moon landing! icon_wink.gif

I'm rather late to post to this, but I am a female, I cache with my female friend, ZooCacher, and another female friend of ours, HikerDeb, originally introduced us to it. On my first caching expedition, there were three women and one man. For the trip I'm leading this weekend, when I shall find my 50th cache, we have so far a group of five ladies and one gentleman.

Oddly enough, ZooCacher and I tend to assume male on the local cachers whose logs we see unless we can determine otherwise. We don't see it as a girl sport, but as we're also rock climbers, we're not typical girl sport participants.

I have brown hair and use a Garmin eTrex Venture, which I bought for myself within days of my first geocaching expedition.

UPSCWRU (University of Puget Sound, Case Western Reserve University)

Another female cacher checking in here. I take my son caching with me, but he's not as fanat... I mean, serious about it as I am. I'm trying to get my husband interested, but so far he's only cached at an event. He said it was fun, but the GPS acted differently in the woods than it does out on the ocean, which annoyed him. Like most men, he likes to think that he's the master of any machine.

OK, I had to jump in too...another female newbie here. My partner and I are waiting for our GPS to arrive from eBay, and we're hoping to go caching this weekend. I found out about geocaching from a friend on LiveJournal and the idea just sounded like a WAY fun way to get out and get some exercise and stuff. icon_smile.gif

My brother-in-law showed up one day last March with his new GPSr and told us of this "game" called geocaching. I was so excited I bought a Magellan and found my first cache, in the rain, within 3 days.

As of yet my bro-in-law hasn't even signed up, let alone find a cache! *Snicker*

I am totally addicted, AND I don't have a bow on my bra for nothing!

icon_biggrin.gif

Prophetically Challenged

While stuck at home with my leg in a cast, I ran into another forum online that was trashing geocaching and when I linked over to see what the fuss was about, I got hooked. I don't think thats what the response the other forum was going for but as soon as the cast came off, I hobbled to my first cache!

Its been rough dealing with my new addiction and managing college but tomorrow is my last final of the semester and then I can get some serious caching done! I even figured out a way to write a term paper for my Recreation and Leisure class on geocaching! And I got an A+ too! icon_biggrin.gif

PS. The bows on my bra have a purpose?

Happy Halloween

Female, British, Brunette.

Found out about geocaching from BookCrossing, my other addiction! Convinced my fiance we "needed" a GPS, so we got one just before we flew out to Spain for a holiday. First cache found was on Gibraltar.

Fiance's first comments were "what do we need a GPS for right now? we've managed to get on with our lives so far without one". But as soon as we found our first cache it was "wow, I like this crazy thing you've got me into"!!!

Are you going to do a similar poll for how many dogs are involved in Geocaching? We have a lurcher & a dachshund who are great cachers!

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

I am another female geocacher! I heard about the sport from a friend of mine, who is male, but lives about a thousand miles away. He was really into it and got his wife into it. I thought it sounded really cool, and convinced my husband to buy a GPS with our tax return money.

Having done so, my husband is not really into it, but for good reason: he is totally blind and hiking over rocks and roots and other such stuff is difficult for him. He's been out with me to two or three caches and he just sort of stands around and humors me. I get a bit more enjoyment out of without him standing around "making that face."

I do go caching with another couple on and off and we have a good time--it's us two women against the one man.

Zoraima

Yesh, my gender is female. I do love geocahing and will be glad when:

#1. my work lets up to allow me to get out again.

#2. my car is running properly so that I can get to caches that are farther away than I can bike.

#3. DCNR approves a few caches that I have helped RGBisMe posse with.

t

A little late, since we're new to geocaching, but thought I would get myself included, even if I'm not counted. I heard about geocaching from an internet friend (female, who goes with her family). I forwarded the site to my husband and he used it as an excuse to buy a new toy--LOL! So far, my husband handles the GPS and my daughter and dogs (both female!)and I go along for the hike and the hunt. I'm the one that usually suggests it, and we all enjoy getting out in the out of doors and "treasure hunting". Female grandmother here, brown hair with red highlights, dd, 13, has the same. One female dog has red hair, one has cream. I'm a little leary of going out in the woods alone, though.

quote:
Originally posted by geeyo:

icon_rolleyes.gif Its intresting how this has turned into a hair color topic....big whoop! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

hair is hair...its just there icon_smile.gif

Gosh! I almost forgot to add that my hair is partly colored indigo! (anyone who has met me knows I am not fooling) Hair can be a fun identifier.

t

quote:
Originally posted by geeyo:

icon_rolleyes.gif Its intresting how this has turned into a hair color topic....big whoop! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

hair is hair...its just there icon_smile.gif

Unless it's not there at all. But the nice thing about hair is it's how all 3/4 of the human race with black hair can tell the whites apart.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Like most men, he likes to think that he's the master of any machine.

I was out with a male friend, his kids and my kids this weekend. wHe likes having a GPS, and understands the basic concept, but became frustrated when it didn't go EXACTLY where he wanted to go. And zero patience for the GPS to settle down and get a good fix. He wanted it NOW!!

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

the nice thing about hair is it's how all 3/4 of the human race with black hair can tell the whites apart.

That's so funny, and true all white people look alike.invasion.gif

dissclaimer: all women are individually beautiful and interesting. angel2.gif

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Another female here - just started this week in fact! I am hoping to go out on my first hunt tonight when I get home from work!!!!! My husband worked with someone that does this as a hobby and told me about it months ago and I was just like okay whatever - but then he actually had me go to the website last Sunday and when I read about it and realized how many sites are near my home I decided it sounded like fun! We immediately started looking for a GPS to buy - I got the SporTrak Pro from Cost Co - great deal and so far easy to use. Anyway, we spend too much time in front of the computer and thought this would be something fun we could do together to get a little exercise and hopefully find some new and interesting places!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Dark blonde BTW

Well, I'm usually late... but that never stopped me before, so why would I let it now? I am a newly addicted female geocacher... redheaded, thank you. icon_smile.gif But from what I've seen it looks like the Brunettes are the majority...

So, did the originator of this thread ever actually share the tally for this poll? Was interested to know, but can't bring myself to surf through all of these pages to hunt it down. Anyone know?

The Jaded Jeweler

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:
Originally posted by Delia:

female geocacher... redheaded, thank you. icon_smile.gif

_WoW! I'm moving to Pensacola._

LOL. Hey leatherman, maybe you should do a poll on redheaded geocaching females in the washington area? Ya never know... you just might find one that's a geocaching snow bunny. icon_wink.gif

The Jaded Jeweler

Redhead here icon_smile.gif

I guess I'm way late....new to geocaching & even newer to the forums. I read about GeoCaching in some silly travel mag I had to pass the time with. I actually remembered to check the website when I got home & I was immediately hooked! I raved about it so well, my boyfriend went out & bought us a Garmin. I mostly cache with him....though am used to hiking alone anyhow, so have done a few alone & with my niece. Also scouted out our first hide alone. Trying to get others involved but, they mostly pooh-pooh it. Next week is BIG family vacation so I'll force the whole lot out with us!

Well I figure since this post is still posted tat I can still put in my two cents. I am a mother and wiffe, we have only been on two caches and we have had alot of fun, have wanted to start doing things like a family and this is definetly a great family outing. But was totally my husbands doings. He read about it in Rural Missouri paper, then borrowed his dad's gps. We are still looking into getting our own. And for so that I am included if anyone checks this after me, I am a blonde and althouogh naturally that way, I color my roots to make myself feel better. Hope to meet some women and make some online, geocahier friends. casntroy@yahoo.com

Me too icon_biggrin.gif I found out about caching when I got my wireless phone and was putting websites in, one was geocaching, which I didn't know anything about....looked it up -- hooked from then on...I've pulled my Hubby into it, because I hate to stick my arms in somewhere they might be bitten! icon_eek.gif I'm a pilot, had a handheld GPS, so I didn't have to wait to start...don't have too many yet, but that'll change...I love to hide 'em!

Another female here.

I found the sport in the newspaper. Told him about it. He told another friend & got him hooked too. This was my account first, but he had me change the name to something we could share.

I'm the one who suggests we go caching most of the time. And I'm the one searching the website. I make him look around for caches if I think there will be snakes or spiders. LOL

Signing in late for the count as well. Haven't spent much time in the forums, otherwise I'd have been here sooner. I heard about geocaching a few years back and always thought it sounded interesting. But I never went out and got a unit until about 2 months ago. Now I go every chance I can get. Mostly alone since the SO isn't too interested in it. And most of my friends seem very interested in geocaching, but then we go and they never seem to want to go again....the wusses. icon_biggrin.gif

Also adding myself to the brunette count.

I'm a cacher and female-my two daughters- 13 yrs and 10 yrs are my crew. My sister-in-law turned me onto this sport since she knew I loved orienteering. She caches with her daughter -14 yrs and 8 yr old son. As for the hair question- I'm an auburn red-my daughter is a red head while the other is a brunette. My sister-in-law and daughter are blondes.

My cousins "Team Trout" were done from Maine. We were going to Dover Delaware for the Nascar race (Go Dale Jr icon_eek.gif) and my uncle got me hooked. I just bought my GPS from Flying J E-Store. I haven't gone on any cache's yet but I am planning on getting my husband hooked also.

Light brown hair.

*raises a hand*

An friend from a message board I frequent posted about her new Vista and her first trip geocaching, and posted a link. I browsed the site, and really really wanted to start finding things.

I cache with my male friend, Puppy Dawg. We were sitting on the side of a cliff watching the sunset, discussing things, and I asked him if he knew what geocaching was. He did, so I pointed out that this would be an excellent place to hide one. (We've put our local moving cache there recently icon_biggrin.gif )

We then got quite into it and found a few and searched for some others without a GPS... we finally acquired one a few weeks later, and I'm currently obsessed. He's close icon_wink.gif

We work well as a team... I do most of the legwork in getting us to the cache site, and he usually has the best luck at actually finding the cache.

I've tried a few alone, but haven't been successful at all. Partly because I'm not quite as good at finding hiding spots as I'd like to be... partly because I'm originally off with my coordinates and the trips end up being scouting trips, and partly because I'm a chicken when I'm alone and get paranoid, then leave after some basic searching. I also tend to get cache fever in the middle of the night, which doesn't help. *laughs*

My mom and I cache with my 2½ year old. My daughter was found a cache twice. We are aptly named the Geochicks.

I started off in a husband/wife team and I told my mom about it, so she went out and bought a GPS and she and I started finding more caches.

Hubby first told me about caching from a friend of his in Oregon that caches. I got hooked from just hearing about it before even BUYING a GPS.

Another redheaded cacher here! I got started by my redhaired daughter Tigerain, a student now graduated from Penn State Univ. We did one together without a GPSr; I have done six without a unit and seven with a borrowed one. I have yet to get my own, but I'll get one soon. My favorite caching companion is my nine year old son, but now he rolls his eyes when I tell him I want to go find one. He enjoys finding the actual cache when we get to the co-ords. This is actually my second obsession; my first is quilting. icon_smile.gif

PeachyPA

I'm a female cacher. My sig other tried for a couple months to get me involved but I resisted. Then I went on a hunt and was HOOKED. I've been caching since Feb of 2002 and I'm rapidly approaching my 200th find. I am a caching fiend. Well, a ho for caching, really! [icon_wink.gif]

I prefer to cache alone and, I'm proud to say, most of my finds are solo finds.

Happy caching! Keep on stashin' and I'll keep on cachin'! [icon_biggrin.gif]

[This message was edited by Geo Ho on August 23, 2003 at 06:59 PM.]

One more female cacher reporting her existence. I found out about the hobby some 9 months ago in a newspaper. I'm often caching with my boyfriend, friends or parents, but as the "main cacher".

Oh yeah, I'm a red-head. (The hair colour comes from chemicals, but I've got the palest skin with freckles, so nobody really suspects anything. ;-)

Also my geocacher name Kettu (Finnish, meaning a fox) refers to the red fur.

I'm a female geocacher!!! And guess what, another natural redhead!!!! Found my first cache yesterday. In America at the moment, and my partner got me interested, so he has lent me his old GPS to take back to blighty with me so we can cache from opposite sides of the water.

We are about to start a little experiment in a month or so. He will release a travel bug here and send it to a certain cache in England. I will release my one from his destination and send it to his starting point. It'll be like a little geo race!!!

Daft Tart