Female Geocachers?

Guest TJWilson

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by the white diamond pirates:

i've gotten 6 of my male friends into it.

No, no, no! We don't need any more men geocachers.

Jamie

Jamie: I think you could probably meet plenty of potential female geocachers in the vicinity of my Shelby Farms Multi. See if you can increase the percentage for us... icon_wink.gif

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

I first heard about geocaching on "Family Outdoors" on the DIY network. We already camped & hiked as a family and I thought that geocaching might help to bring back some enthusiasm from my 15 year old son. My husband already had a GPS, so we gave it a try.

Well it only took a few caches, & I was hooked. So now Chaos & I do most of the geocaching. The hubby & son come along once in a while, usually to places where dogs aren't allowed (so I don't have to wander the woods alone.) icon_wink.gif

Well, MarinerBC and I got into it at the same time-it was someone else that took us out, because he knew that we both loved the outdoors, and he didn't want to go alone, as the terrain was challenging. As soon as MBC made his find that day, I knew there would be a GPS in the house within a week-and there was! We've done caches together, but I've done a lot of my 170 finds on my own. I love the challenge of the hunt, the thrill of the find, and playing with a new toy. Between my cell, my PDA, the computer, and the GPS, I have a blast! icon_biggrin.gif I don't know any solo women cachers, just a few who are a part of teams. Personally speaking, I can be as feminine as the next girl, but don't have much stock or patience for the traditionally viewed female-type activities (shopping, decorating, what have you). I'd much rather be mucking around on a mountain somewhere, looking for that blasted little container of stuff! Thanks for the thread!

cacherunner icon_cool.gif

Found it!

Cacherunner... I have come to love caching alone. Some people may say I'm not bright by doing it... but ya know what... life's too short to worry about what's around the next corner or over the next hill. I use common sense and try not to do the real tough ones by myself, but around me there's not a whole lot of easy ones left so I do what I've gotta do and have a great time doing it. Originally (1 1/2 yrs ago) I loved caching as a bonding time for me and my son. Now that he doesn't like to play with mom anymore (13) I think it's due time for Mom to learn how to play again too.

I recently started emailing then meeting with a solo woman cacher, Planet, that lives about 45 minutes away from me and we've gotten together a bunch of times now for hunts and we're having a blast. Solo is great but sometimes it's just nice to talk to someone that understands cache talk ;-)

Glad you worked out your lost gps situation. I had read your posts in NW forums and could emmpathize with you... left my gps on the hood or bumper a bit ago and never recovered it. Now I've upgraded to a bigger and better gps and I'm still missing my old one... gotta get in sync with this one.. not there yet. Good Luck to you!

I read an article on geocaching a few weeks ago. I am a (female) leader of of Boy Scout Troop and a Venture Crew. I have not yet gone on a hunt, but I have plans to both look for a cache and place one in mid-December when we go on our next campout. I am so excited I can hardly way-- scavenger hunts for grownups!! I am hopeful that this will get our kids more into hiking and exploring-- something that my 15 year old son and I already love to do. As an added plus, there are many many caches located practically right in our neighborhood. Do I sound excited about this or what?

Lisa P.

Hi! As my philosophy goes (I must learn to follow it some time!), everything happens for a reason. What the reason is may not be readily obvious, but there IS a reason eventually. I'm so glad to see that there are other women out there who enjoy getting outdoors and doing unconventional things. I know in my part of the world, with all its natural beauty, there are a surprisingly few number of female cachers that I'm aware of. The 3 or 4 that I know are all part of a team or partnership, and wouldn't DARE go on their own! icon_eek.gif Like you, I find time caching is time for myself, which is also why I love running. It's something I can do alone, if I so desire, or with a group. Anyway, thanks for checking in-it was nice to hear from you!

Found it!

Ttepee and cacherunner,

I'm another female cacher who loves to cache alone. While I have two very good friends who often accompany me on cache hunts (and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything), I have to admit I also really treasure those times when I have the whole day to myself to hike, explore, search (and usually find!), etc. It's great to realize you have the whole day ahead of you and you can shape it however you wish, you can go at your own pace and not worry that the person you're with would rather be doing something else, and you (and only you) are responsible for yourself.

Like you, Ttepee, I try to enjoy my life and not worry needlessly. I'm comfortable taking risks as long as I'm reasonably well prepared. I'm not fragile, and I trust myself and my ability to find my way out of tough situations. I have more respect for men than to assume that they're all out to rape or murder me. And if having a full life means I might live a few years less than someone who sits on the couch all day (though I doubt that), I'll take it.

~Zhanna (another girl who doesn't care about shopping or decorating but loves challenging hikes and digital-toys icon_smile.gif)

Also a Woman who got myself involved in Geocaching. Stumbled upon the site through a livejournal post in July. Held out until the beginning of November and then broke down and ebayed for a GPS. Didn't do to bad on a lil' yellow. I have introduce two of my female friends to caching (who both promise to continue going with me) and may introduce another this weekend. It's great excerise and gets me outdoors where i want to be but never could find the time icon_smile.gif now i make the time.

Like you said, Fallenfaery, it's a great way to get outside, and explore places you might not have otherwise seen. I have been to a few places, where it was just about finding the cache, but I can say that a good 90% of the caches I've found have afforded a spectacular view of some sort-makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? icon_smile.gif

Found it!

then there is me too! I started a few months ago when I found Geocaching through wheresgeorge.com. Two days after I found this site I headed out with a borrowed GPS and made my first find. I would be out there everyday if I could (weather permitting) but alas I am still using a borrowed GPS! Maybe Santa will bring me that Garmin V that I have been begging for!

On almost every hunt that I have been out on I have taken my best friend Chaney (also female) with me.

-Erin

We just did our first cache yesterday! A mutual friend told my husband about it, and when I was looking for Christmas Gift ideas, I thought about what our friend had told us about GeoCaching. I reminded my husband about it, and he's hoping Santa will bring him a GPS (or a bowling ball) in a couple of days. We are already hooked, and haven't officially started with a GPS yet. The cache we found on Sunday was in a spot that we were very familiar with.

my wife got me started on geocaching. she'd come home from work where she picked up the hobby and tell me about it. for the longest time i couldn't wrap my brain around it. so finally i went out with her and her co-workers (the TD Lunch Bunch) and, viola! i was hooked as well. i still haven't found too many, though, as i still am the taxi-driver for all the soccer games and stuff.

"frank bama once said that the best navigators aren't sure of where they're going until they get there..." - jimmy buffett icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

I'm starting this thread to find out how many female Geocachers there are on this forum.

Please be specific. If your spouse/sig. other got you involved, tell us. If it's the other way around, and you got your spouse/sig. other involved, or got involved on your own, tell us that as well.

Have fun with this expirement fellow Geocachers. I will be tabulating the responses after 2 months. At that time I will start a male geocachers thread which will last for 2 months. Total time ofor expirement will be 4 months.

TJWilson

------------------

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I joined geocachers last april, and have been

lurking for a while.. I don't expect to break

any records as far as finding caches, but I

plan to place my first cache over the holidays,

and also place a "dead-drop" cache, like the

type that spies would use years ago -- it will

be a micro cache in an urban environment..

icon_biggrin.gif

Trish

quote:
Originally posted by Squatting Dog:

my wife got me started on geocaching. she'd come home from work where she picked up the hobby and tell me about it. for the longest time i couldn't wrap my brain around it. so finally i went out with her and her co-workers (the TD Lunch Bunch) and, viola! i was hooked as well. i still haven't found too many, though, as i still am the taxi-driver for all the soccer games and stuff.

"frank bama once said that the best navigators aren't sure of where they're going until they get there..." - jimmy buffett icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

I'm starting this thread to find out how many female Geocachers there are on this forum.

Please be specific. If your spouse/sig. other got you involved, tell us. If it's the other way around, and you got your spouse/sig. other involved, or got involved on your own, tell us that as well.

Have fun with this expirement fellow Geocachers. I will be tabulating the responses after 2 months. At that time I will start a male geocachers thread which will last for 2 months. Total time ofor expirement will be 4 months.

TJWilson

------------------

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

In God we trust .. all others, we monitor.

icon_mad.gif Haven't found one I like yet. Been a back seat geocacher for a year now - even though I didn't know about it for the first couple of weeks. I have even been allowed to hold the gpsr on occasion and look myself. On day the budget will allow for a second model. Been to several locations, but only found two on my own. Count up v-royd and c-royd in the estrogen brigade too!

Greetings and salutations!

I am a newbie to geocaching (first find 11/27/02). I received a GPS for my 30th birthday from the in-laws. I have this strange desire to know where I am and how to get somewhere else using GPS. Can't quite explain it, even to myself. A family friend told me about the site after I got my little yellow tag-a-long (etrex). My husband goes along for the hikes but I am looking to get other friends involved. I'm having fun discovering other parts of my little island that few others know about. BTW-dark gold hair with green eyes.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

Its sortuf funny how even though geocaching has nothing that gives men a advantage over women in finding the geocaches, still, there are probebly much more men then women out geocaching. Why is that? icon_confused.gif

Perhaps it is because men may have more discreationary income, and are more "gadget-oriented" , while women may be more "people-oriented" ?? icon_eek.gif

Pardon the vast generalisation, however my first cache was an event cache, mainly to have a neat

way to meet, and get to know other geocacher's in

the area ...

Trish

In God we trust .. all others, we monitor.

I'm CarleenP's mom (she posted in this thread on Septembe 30) After my first Geocaching outing with her I ran right home and ordered my own GPS unit. Soon after that, while traveling, I dragged her dad along for a couple days of cache hunting in Florida and now he's sort of hooked. I came home from the trip with more caches logged than Carleen had but she's ahead again.

Neva P. icon_smile.gif

I joined weightwatchers after having my son 6 months ago and not being exactly where i wanted to be weight-wise. A person on one of their exercise forums mentioned how much they enjoyed geocaching and told about the website. Being a big hiking fan and a gadget junkie I knew this would be for me! So am still in the process of picking a GPS and backpack carrier and waiting for it to get warm enough to take our little guy with us (negative windchill here in MA this week).

Am a brunette....

I just bought my GPS no even a week ago would have got it sooner but the Rinos only became alvalable in Canada recently and that's what I wanted as a started model.

I went to two caches on the weekend the first one with my Father and two dogs the second one on my own.

Most of my caching will probly be solo, I'm not afraid to be alone since I'm a bit taller than the aveage male. I'm a 6 foot dark brown brunette and not the rail thin tall girl ether.

I haven't had a chance to hunt down any more caches since the weather turned to nasty to be out but I'm planning on looking for one tomorow weather be dammed

More to see, More to do

I am a woman who caches alone. I heard about it from my parents, who heard about it from my brother's in-laws. I cached with them a couple of times and thought it might be something I would enjoy. I got my Garmin '76S in Sept. 2002 and haven't looked back! icon_biggrin.gif I had no idea how much fun it would be. I can't get enough! Most people think I am nuts for going by myself, but I prefer it that way. I can move at my own speed and stop to enjoy the surroundings whenever I want to. No compromising. Although....there are times when I wish I had an extra pair of eyes to help spot the cache! icon_wink.gif My boyfriend is more of an indoor guy. He has hobbies of his own that keep him busy while I'm gone. Everybody is happy!

I took my brother with me on a cache this weekend. as I was getting the goodie bag out of the SUV he took of with my GPS, he has making zig zags all over the place I bellowed at him to stay on the trail but he wouldn't listen. I to yell at him to wait for me. He eventually found the Cache right beside the trail, now if he listened to me the vegetation wouldn't have gotten trampled.

Men sigh

More to see, More to do

My husband read about geocaching somewhere on the internet just over a year ago, and decided we all need one, so he bought 3 eTrexs for Christmas, knowing everyone would want their own to look at.

It's been a great 3 season family activity [too hot and humid in the summer to do much outside, unless it's out of state]. It's been such fun, I just bought a new GPS: an M330, and can't wait to try the mapping features.

I first learned about geocaching from wheresgeorge (seems many do it the other way around) when someone found one of my dollars and wrote that they planned to put it in a geocache. My son loves to come with me on the adventures and works well with me as a team (he can spot the caches better, I can use the GPSr better) but so far my husband has not shown too much interest other than listening to our stories of how we found each one and what we went through to get there each time. I tried to appeal to his machismo by telling him we might need protection from alligators and wild boar and that did seem to raise his interest level a bit, I'm still hoping to make it an activity for the whole family.

I know they said they were going to stop the count of female cachers two months after December, but I've got to get myself counted, if only to the other female cachers. My brother told me about geocaching and I pestered my hubby till he bought me a gps unit. I've dragged the family out several times, and while they enjoy it, the are only willing to go so far. I was determined to get my first travel bug and I dragged everyone out to the cache site. It started to rain, it got dark, and we didn't have flashlights, so they all made me take them home (bunch of babies.) I took the 3 year old out with me the next morning and found it. I'd prefer to not go by myself, but if they continue to whimp out on me, I will. I'm too hooked not to! icon_smile.gif

I asked my husband for a GPSr for Christmas. I take my boys camping and read about these and geocaching on a camping list.

Now, this year when we plan our camping trips, we're also going to check out the nearby caches to see what area to stay in.

I try to drag whoever is around with me. Have taken my daughter with her 2 kids, also have taken my brother-in-law (who has a GPSr for his boat) his son and friend along. They all thought it was pretty cool. I took the 2 boys last Sunday along with mine. They are into it.

Hubby, on the other hand, just does NOT get it. He just rolls his eyes when we go. He doesn't go camping with us either. In all fairness though, he works his butt off in the spring and summer and really doesn't have the time.

This female geocacher started it all in our marriage. I read about it in a local paper, brought the subject up at dinner and went to the first cache alone (he had to work). I've gone to quite a few by myself, but he has never gone without me. And I've handled all of our cache placements and maintainance (again, he has to work, I sit around and eat virtual bon-bons all day). He enjoys it as much as I do, although it is a lot more fun when he is with me.

FYI I am a natural blonde (the name Desert Viking says it all) My husband has natural jet black hair with a bit of gray in it.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I work at a local TV station, and first heard about geocaching a couple of years ago when we ran a story about it on our news. I said "that sounds like fun," but that was the end of it... for then.

A few weeks ago I got desperately lost in Southern maine. I was driving around saying "grrr! I need a GPS!" As I started shopping for one, I remembered geocaching... I looked around this website while I waited for my GPS to come in the mail, and was addicted before I even started! icon_biggrin.gif I dragged my boyfriend right in with me (which wasn't hard -- we do everything together!).

Oh, and my hair is light brown with some natural (honest!) red highlights.

~ Kelli (the female half of Teamo!)

My husband is a pilot and we have a small airplane in which we use a gps, so when my husband wanted a handheld also I thought it was a stupid idea, but he insisted since he got lost hiking in Norway and was out all night trying to find his way back... icon_rolleyes.gif

He bought it and a few months later when my hubby was out of town, I read a article about Geocaching in VIA, the next day I grabed the GPS both kids, Emma 2 and Rocket 6 monts and found 6 caches - I had a great time. Since then my husband and I do a lot of Geocaching together, but I'm definately the driving force... Oh, I'm born and raised in Sweden but my hair is just barely blond...blondish/brown really... icon_wink.gif

As of today (April 13th) I've hunted for four caches and found 1, although one of those caches I looked for has since proven missing altogether. Another might have also gone missing as well. We seem to have cache thieves in our area. But I perservere!

I cache alone with an Etrex. I have no SO, which worries me as I'm not in the best physical shape. But I have a cellphone, and I can always tell any potential rescuers exactly where I am... to within 49 feet. Or maybe it's 110. Or 27.

Dark brown hair, but if I use one of those sun-activated lighteners it can turn bright orange.

Tilt

Why is there a watermelon there?

I bought a GPS to use when camping, boating and hiking. Not that I ever hike anywhere that I really need one; it was more the fact that I like little technical gadgets more than I like jewelry or fancy shoes.

A guy at work asked if he could borrow my GPS and I said "Sure, but what for?" He told me he had found out about Geocaching on the internet, and was considering using it as part of his home-school program, but wanted to try it first before investing the money in a GPS. Once he told me, I was hooked.

I work in a predominately male environment (air traffic control) and have introduced several males to the sport. Of the females that I mentioned it to, the only ones who showed any interest were those who are employed in traditionally male jobs (a Marine and a couple of airline pilots). I am curious if this is true of other women who Geocache.

I was looking at other forums: Yes, I Geocache armed. But I also go to the grocery store and the mall that way.

As for the hair thing --- most of the time it is light ash brown, but I did the blonde and the red thing 20 or more years ago.

Female cacher here. I found out about geocaching through the internet (wilwheaton.net and a fark.com comments thingee discussion) and got immediately hooked. I go alone because the hubby rolls his eyes and asks questions like,"What's to stop someone from putting a bomb in a cache?"

Hey, yeah, ok -- I'll be counted too! icon_wink.gif

I kinda stumbled onto the geocaching site while looking for "mine exploration" pages in the calico area (CA)...some how, a calico cache page came up, and 3 days later I had bought myself a nice, shiny, new ol' yeller. It was meant to be!!! icon_biggrin.gif

My sister always comes along, and I'm happy that it's something that will entice her to hike with me (whether she knows it or not!). And sometimes our Mom...and many of my friends (female and male) have been introduced to the "wonderful world of caching"....and--wait, shall I go on??? Na...'nough said. icon_biggrin.gif

When life gives ya dirt, make berms!