Female Geocachers?

Guest TJWilson

So more than two months has gone by, oh well. I just started reading the forums today. My cousin turned me on to geocaching and when my buddy got a gps we started. Now I can't stop. I am female and 45 and need the excercise and, thank you veddy much, it seems to be working. Still don't have my own gps but maybe next commission check I'll get one.

And frankly, I don't think my hair color matters because if you look up close each one is sort of different.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here. icon_cool.gif

I am a female cacher after reading article in Orlando Sentinel in May. My husband has always been interested in maps so we decided to get a GPS for our 24th anniversary. We walk every day and thought it would give us more of a purpose for walking other than health. We also do a little mountain biking and canoeing so we are combining our hobbies. He really enjoys the GPS part of the hunt and I enjoy the treasure hunt part. Works for us!

Wendy and Mark Walker

Majicman here.

I am a real man, first of all, but I do occasionally geocache in full drag (including the high heels.) Does this count? Ofttimes while geodragging, I wae a blonde wig, sometimes red. But I always wear very sexy feeling undergarments against my pulsating... wait, I digress.

Forget I said this (and don't tell my wife, what ever you do!)

NotReallyMAJICMAN (Someone else pretending to be him... icon_eek.gif )

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

Heard about Geocaching from a former boyfriend that I had re-encountered on the net. Hubby thought, "eh, ok" I was geeked. We went out looking for our first 2 caches in February and couldn't find either (3 feet of snow had something to do with it.) In Late March, Hubby got called to University of Wisconsin Hospital for a Organ Transplant, and while he was in the hospital, I bought a GPSr. WE went caching when he was allowed out "on pass" from the hospital, and have found 25 in WI and MI. Placed 5 and planning one event for July. I am the one bitten by the caching bug. Hubby goes along. Son loves it, because he gets cool stuff, but I am the driving force behind all our caching adventures. Mom rules!

Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here!

Actually I did take her to show her what all the hoopla was about..ONCE. She walks at the same speed as my run. Seems like she dug it but she's quick. She hasn't gone again since. I guess it seems to not accomplish a whole lot in the material world. Well, it's a good reason (like golf) to take a good walk and take in the outdoors. Hiking for smart people I call it.

I saw a clip on geocaching on Evening Magazine TV in Seattle. EdO and I needed a reason to go out on walks. He doesnt mind strolling with no purpose in mind but I like having a destination. He got me a used Magellan for Christmas cause I asked and thought it a little odd at first but liked the find.....I like that we are learning all the parks in King and Pierce county. I am the one who supposedly knows how the device works....lol. I tell everyone about it....the best response was Jake who picked up the Magellan, walked about five feet, and asked, "how far do I have to walk for it to change?" a natural. Others mostly go uh huh uh huh....

quote:
Originally posted by Mitsuko:

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I do occasionally geocache in full drag

That's a mental image I could have done without.

Is this an Oklahoma thing? icon_smile.gif

No, happens in Ukraine all time. See man with beard in dress only man is really wifes aunt. Big embarassing.

Kije

quote:
No, happens in Ukraine all time. See man with beard in dress only man is really wifes aunt. Big embarassing.

This Leprechaun thinks that there's a troll hiding under his bridge. Check the profile.... very nice job.

Those of us who are classical music lovers will play the "Lieutenant Kije Suite" in honor of this intrepid geocacher.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

The "Berkeley" comment gave it away, methinks.

Jamie

A guy can't get away with anything around here......

But. wait! It's not me.... The only other regular in the forums who might pull this is Chris JuriCache.

His work has been placing pressure on him though... so for all I know this could be legit.

I've talked about this hobby with hundreds of people and my daughter is usually at my side.

Will the *real* Kije please stand up....

I'm not Kije

I'm not the real Kije

All you other Kije people are just imitating

So won't the real Kije...

Please stand up, Please stand up, Please stand up

becuase I'm not Kije

I'm not the real Kije

--

I'm betting that it was either MarkWell or CourtneyP

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

I'm not Kije

I'm not the real Kije

becuase I'm not Kije

I'm not the real Kije

I'm not sure what's worse, you "quoting" this, or me KNOWING what it is!

I am so ahamed. icon_eek.gif

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by clatmandu:

Finding hidden boxes in the woods, but has no finds in his profile. icon_eek.gif

Like pretty Japanese girl, I have no GPS in America. Have to wait on parcel from brother in Pskov. He use Russia OnLine, so email take 4 to 6 weeks to get there.

I do not think I like this troll business. If I real troll, you find me under bridge or overpass or in one of your WalMart stores. Instead, you have expensive GPS and you can't find me.

Kije

Goodness! I don't see where anybody associated the "T" word with majicman. It's Lieutenant Kije who I (and others) have properly labeled as a poorly concealed troll. But at least a funnier troll than most....

majicman, I for one enjoy your posts in the forums and your sense of humor. It's folks like you that helped to get me instantly addicted to this game, for which I thank you (I think). No offense meant, if you read anything differently than it was intended.

If you stare at your hands now, the stigmata ought to have disappeared.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Goodness! I don't see where anybody associated the "T" word with majicman. It's Lieutenant Kije who I (and others) have properly labeled as a poorly concealed troll. But at least a funnier troll than most....

majicman, I for one enjoy your posts in the forums and your sense of humor. It's folks like you that helped to get me instantly addicted to this game, for which I thank you (I think). No offense meant, if you read anything differently than it was intended.

Sorry about that. I guess you are right, I reread these posts and it wasn't ME they were calling the troll.

I guess I jumpd the gun on that one (apologies...)

I guess I just had bad memories of the earlier instances where I was though to be a troll, and some e-mail once insinuating that I was a "sock-puppet" (whatever he heck that is).

Can someone explain what that meant, now that I am calmed back down?

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

Can someone explain what that meant, now that I am calmed back down?

OK. now that you have calmed down....

I Doubt very much I called you a troll (someone who posts just to start arguments or heated discussions). I don't think I ever got an email from you, and I was pretty busy with work for the last 3-4 months, and very well might have missed a forum post directed to me.

As for being a sock puppet, I may have insinuated that I thought you might be that, but it is in no way an insult. Your writing style and sense of humor reminded me of another popular poster here who has been know to use a sockpuppet or two, with very humorous results. In this case, consider it a compliment.

I suspect some of the other "questionable" cachers in this thread lean more toward cotton footware then bridge tenders. So hopefully your still cool calm and collected?

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Mr. Majik, do not feel bad for you. You big man with big heart. Make everyone laugh good in sad time and tell funny story on rainy day. Some people with strange names think I maybe go back to bridge in motherland or back in laundry basket. One day, I visit cache so you know I real. Tour America like Mohair from Turkey. You plant many cache in Oklahoma. Bet is pretty there. I visit you first.

This talk remind me of poem I hear at bar in Novgorod. It not so funny after translate to English but good slapping knees in Rus. Roses are red violets are blue I am a schizophreniac and so am I. Funny, no?

Sock puppet good. Sasha tell funny story at night with sock and cigar. Cigar smell like old shoe and sock do too. "Mr. Stalin" make us laugh hard and I get pertsovka in nose. Sasha went to Chechnya. "Mr. Stalin" not funny now.

Good news. Brother send GPS through Expressa Rodina. He say box size of grandmother. Hope just GPS in box.

Miss Mitsuko. I sorry we talk on your space. You pretty lady I do not want madness on your heart. I visit you on tour as well and sing you Russian song of beauty.

Kije

Majicman,

Just wanted to post this to say that I love reading your posts. I even enjoy getting into it with you sometimes(posts, not dragicon16.gif )as in "Best chigger treatment". I know this is off topic, but I just wanted you to know that your posts are appreciated and enjoyed. Without humor(everybodys), reading some of these forums would be like reading an encyclopedia for entertainment.1book.gif Many of comedy's greatest dressed in drag. With you being a grandpa and all, I'm sure you remember Flip Wilson and Milton Berle. Also, not all trolls are bad. Just look at my avatar. KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

[This message was edited by KYtrex on July 26, 2002 at 10:51 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by KYtrex:

Majicman,

Just wanted to post this to say that I love reading your posts. I even enjoy getting into it with you (snip)

KentuckYianeTREX user, (is that where your moniker came from?)

Thanks for the positive words.

Did you hear about the blind, dislexic geocacher with alsheimers who kept searching in a dark room for a black cat that wasn't there?

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

KentuckYianeTREX user, (is that where your moniker came from?)

Yep, KY as in Kentucky, not Jelly icon_biggrin.gif I am from Kentucky and my first gps was a yellow Etrex so I kind of put the two together. I guess they didn't mix as good as peanut butter and chocolate but it's too late now. I'm stuck with it. Oh well. And now I'll turn this thread back over to the ladies. Sorry for the intrusion icon_razz.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

quote:

Did you hear about the blind, dislexic geocacher with alsheimers who kept searching in a dark room for a black cat that wasn't there?

Reminds me of the dyslexic agnostic insomniac geocacher, who lies awake at night, wondering if there really is a Dog.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I found Geocaching not quite 2 weeks ago & waiting for my Magellan Sportrak Map to arrive via UPS (tomorrow?) icon_razz.gif I was checking out a sweepstakes on another site & then clicked on this page. Needless to say...I got hooked! My husband thought I was outta my mind, but then he started surfing around here & ordered the GPSr himself!

We'll probably do most of our caching as a family, but I also plan to do some with just the kiddos, when I can cache hunt during the week. So, cheers to the ladies AND

Thanks EVERYONE for delightful & humorous postings that have kept me entertained while I wait to get out there & really become a bonafide GEOCACHING NUT.

Okay, to be honest, we tried to find a cache at a park nearby without the GPSr, but I'm not logging as not found because we were LON/LAT handicapped! I'm sure we'll be logging some finds shortly! icon_cool.gif

Fairy tales & happy trails help old women stay young.

Mrs. Mother Gootz,

Kije sure you nice pretty lady like Nana Ivana, but you should no put picture of you near this bunch. Look at way all acting stupid with japanese girl when she here new.

Is nice in Houston this time year? Bet is. Maybe Kije visit space center after see Mr. Majik on way to New Jerseys.

Kije

Let's see if this avatar thing works...Sorry, Kije, you'll have to wait & see a pic once I've officially found a cache. You can be assured however that I don't look anything like Mitsuko! icon_rolleyes.gif

Houston is HOT this time of year, but you are certainly welcome to visit on your way to NJ!

Fairy tales & happy trails help old women stay young.

[This message was edited by Mother Gootz on July 11, 2002 at 10:29 AM.]

My father and husband got me into geocaching. I think it is a really neat sport. It gets me and my husband and son out of the house and we get to do this as a family. I enjoy it a lot and will be geocaching for a while. I am getting ready to make and hide some of my own geocaches. I haven't been doing this very long but I enjoy it more and more every time that I go out. I get better each and every time that I find one. icon_biggrin.gif

Mommy#1

Jones Family Web

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

Stumbled across geocaching while surfing for something else totally unrelated, and thought it sounded great. Showed hubby the site, and he (being a kayak nut who is always looking for an excuse to buy new equipment) thought it would be a great excuse to buy a new GPS!

We went out for the first time today, the five of us (Hubby and me, 17 year old son, 14 year old daughter and 7 year old daughter). Found two of the three sites we looked for. Kids got tuckered out kinda quick, but I think we'll try it again!

Were looking for a Team Name, and couldn't decide between Maniacal Monkeys (son's suggestion), The Mighty Kittens of Carnage (older daughter's suggestion) and the Timber Wolves (younger daughter's suggestion), Hubby's nickname is Bear, so... The Vancouver Zoo Crew seemed to fit.

We're 3 to 2, female to male. icon_smile.gif

~technoboggan~

I learned about geocaching at a Florida Trail Association (http://www.florida-trail.org/) Board of Directors meeting last May. A member offered the information as a way to develop a new 'type' of hike to get families and children interested in the Florida Trail. I don't think that has happened yet but I'm sure having a good time. Two new ones have appeared in my county. Since my sis and her little sis are coming up next weekend you know what the plans are now icon_smile.gif

Hey TJ,

You can write me down as another female geocacher. One day at work a friend of mine (another female) came over with her GPS and told me about geocaching. I worked at a park and there was a cache hidden there. It was interesting to think people were hiding and finding caches in a place I knew really well. I had a GPS of my own I used for tracking animals/birds. I had been wanting to get a new one and finally did after I found out about this sport. I go alone or with my dog. Sometimes I take my younger cousins- it's a great way to teach about navigation.

-northwest20 icon_razz.gif

Another female cacher here. I came across a reference to geocaching.com through bookcrossing.com. I checked out the site and immediately wanted a GPS. Bought one a few days later and have been at it every since. I introduced my husband to it. He was skeptical at first, but now we go out together every weekend and a few times a week. It's a great chance for us to talk and spend time together. Yesterday we were near a cache that required some hiking through sharp spiny plants and he dove right in...I was not so eager. icon_wink.gif I love caching - it is the perfect combination of nature, exercise, and intrigue! I have brown hair that gets red highlights in the summer from the sun.

I'm a newbie female cacher- I read an article about geocaching in the newspaper earlier this year (the Detroit Freepress- if I remember right, they showed caching in a mainly good light). My husband (Beersnob) enjoys gadgets, and would hint now and then about getting one for our hiking trips. Several weeks ago, I saw a message on the backpacker.com chat page about this site, so I checked it out. Got the Gps, and now I'm completely hooked, and am dragging Beersnob into it (he's interested, but not as enthusiastice as I am)

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

I got my husband into geocaching & we've been having a blast ever since! I first heard about Geocaching from TV's Wil Wheaton! I was checking out his webpage: www.wilwheaton.net and saw that he had mentioned it several times, so I clicked on the link to see what the heck it was all about! I told my hubby about it, we borrored a GPSr to try it out and the rest is history! He bought me a killer Magellan Meridian Platinum for my birthday Aug 22nd!! We've hidden two caches so far, and found about 20! We've been having so much fun, we go caching every chance we get! Today, we revisited a recent geocache area that we had gone to last week, it's a really cool place here in Arizona called the "Swimming Hole" just north of Phoenix! We had a nice picnic, jumped off the cliffs, swam and laughed all day! We would never have known about this place if not for geocaching! We both look forward to many more fun adventures!

Dogs Have Owners....Cats Have Staff!!

I read the article in the local newspaper and then chatted with a co-worker about this new 'stuff'. In a matter of days, I was so excited to try it I called my husband to stop on his way home from work and buy a GPS. He didn't have time. So I did. One day of research and phone calls and the next day I bought a GPS. Within two days we had our first cache and within the first week we had five caches under our belt. I started us on it but we both love it. I wouldn't do it alone for safety reasons, some areas are quite remote. It is amazing to see me transform: a grown woman act like a six year old when I get to open a cache. Ooh the excitement. Our fourth cache held a travel bug; can you imagine the giggles? See you on the trail. The Parrot

Well,

I read an article a while back but didnt' get invovled until my parents took me out. My dad is one with the drive of the hunt between them, but I'm my fathers daughter. I'm the one between me and my fiancee (who is a red head - I'm well.. it's either blonde or brown you pick) who really wants to get out there.

I just started and every where I drive I keep thinking - OO i bet there is a cache that way, or this is the road I'll need to take this weekend....to get to this cache...

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

I'm a newbie cacher. This is so fun. I've loaded in about a dozen caches as landmarks in my gps. My hubby got it for us after I mentioned this would be a great sport. Then he goes & steals it for a couple of weeks for hunting & showing off to his buddies! But, BWAAHAAHAA, icon_razz.gif I have it back now, just watch me go! Now if I can just remember which landmark go with which printouts. Guess I'll have to cross reference 'em.

Hi! icon_biggrin.gif

Yet another female Geocacher here, although the name of my Geocaching duo is deceiving. I was the 1 who found out about this site & persuaded my hubby to get into it (although it didn't take much arm twisting at all). Got here via my long time habit @ Where's George? & now both are my obsessions. icon_wink.gif

The Tarrytown Horsemen

PS Does our female pooch who accompanies us most of the time count, too???????

Female, brunette that leans to red if I'm in the sun too long (so yeah, I guess a summer of caching would sort of make me conform to the theory at the moment)!

Heard about caching from a male co-worker. Begged hubby and son to try it. They rolled their eyes. I left it alone for a couple of weeks, then spotted a new one stashed - I could tell by the name - at a park we knew well. Grabbed Dad's GPS and told boys they could come along or not, as the spirit moved them. They came out of a morbid curiosity. Taught myself how to use the GPS by driving to the park in question and watching what happened on the display screen as I drove. (Tip: Kiddies, don't try this on a freeway or curvy road.) Paced the park, muttering about coordinates. Nearly fell down a set of stairs because I was so busy watching the screen to figure out how it was working. And found the cache!

You'd have thought we had just picked up the Treasure of the Sierra Madre. We picked out a plastic lizard - hence our team name - and decided to try one more cache. Successfully found that one as well and made it home by 3 pm. At 4 pm, hubby yells from the computer room that he found a sale price on an ETrex, the store is 90 minutes away, they close in 90 minutes but said they'd stay open for us, so get in the car, quick!

And it's all been downhill... across a swamp, over the log, and roughly 450 feet across that field... from there. Both hubby and son totally enjoy it, but I'm generally the one pleading for them to get into the car every weekend. icon_smile.gif

WHAT'S UP!! Just replying to your new thread. I just got into geo chacheing with my husband. At first I wasn't into it much icon_rolleyes.gifuntil we found our first cache icon_biggrin.gif I was so into it after that. I use an etrex vista and a Garmin 176c. The 176c is easier to see. The etrex drives me nuts because I think the map comes up too slow. I have fun going : icon_smile.gif. My husband and I drag the little one along. She is 5 months. Now that the weather is cooling down we will probably go a lot more. I was having a fit taking her out in the heat icon_eek.gif.

around the middle of August and also took my husband and then 5 mo. daughter along for the adventure. I spent more time deciding which GPS to get than actually finding the first cache. Stupidly (or indecisively), I ended up buying two (Garmin GPS V and Magellan Meridian Platinum) and now I have to try to sell one of them. We are having fun though.

I'm female and I geocache too with my husband and children. My youngest child is 4 months old and I've only taken him on two so far when the weather gave us a break from the heat. I will only go caching when the weather is mild...I'd worry about my baby getting too hot. I look forward to hunts in the fall when the leaves are turning. icon_smile.gif

maleck4

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffery&Paula:

Quite possibly one of the only female geocachers in Ireland. I enjoy the hikes and the interesting locals. I wish we had more hidden in abandoned castles though. - Paula

"Kiss the Blarney Stone...and sign the log book!"

Speaking of Blarney...there is that little cave on the grounds that would make for an interesting micro hide.....

:-)