Female Geocachers?

Guest TJWilson

Hi, I'm a female cacher too. I originally saw a story about Geocaching on the news and actually had a dream about it that night. I figured that was a good sign that it could become my next hobby, so I bought a GPS that weekend. Been at it for a couple weeks now, and it's tons of fun. Oh yeah, I'm not a redhead either, naturally crap-tacular brown. :lol:

Hello,

NH female cacher here. My boyfriend got me started. I only need 3 more finds & I'll be tied with him. ... not sure how he feels about that, its fun to tease him! :lol:

I' ve been at it for about 1 yr. I got a gift certificate for LL Bean for Chrismas, so now I have my own GPS. Garmin Gecko 201. :lol:

I have been caching more frequently by my self. My aunt hates that, but my dad says"Hey, she knows how to take care of herself, she's not stupid." Thanks Dad.

I female I am *waving*, red head, well right now yes! <_<

LOL

I first found out abt geocaching from this site in ??? 2001? and longed for a gps begging everyone i knew for that special christmas present.... and now i have one *YEAH*

i've gone caching alone with family and friends...

None have gotten to liking it as much as me tho' and since i work nights i only get weekends to cache.. *pout*

I'm in the calgary area if anyone wants to cache

khalua

hiya another female here :unsure: although you cant count me in as a female geocacher cos i havent gone hunting for any yet and i dont have a gps. but i enjoy lurking here and reading up on it all.

i do hope to go cache hunting soon though. it will be more tricky for me though cos i havent got the gadgets, but itll be fun i think.............unless i get lost :o

I finally know how to use the GPS enough that I can head out alone, or with one or both the kids when the hubby is not available. I spent countless hours in the woods as a child/teenager, so I'm not intimidated about doing it alone. Prior to having a GPS, I have not worried about getting lost in the woods, although now that we have one, I mark the car just in case. It must be a "mom" thing. We're prepared. I carry a small first aide kit and a couple of bottles of water. We don't pick caches that rate over 3 for terrain, so we will be fine.

I read an article in the paper and haven't stopped caching since! I sometimes cache with my family (husband and 2 teenagers) and sometimes with a friend. I introduced her to sport shortly after I started. Mygreatest adventures caching have been when the two of us are out for a glorious day of caching!

Add one more female to your count. I got started geocaching in February, and have been hooked since day 1. :back: hard to explain to a geomuggle why a grown woman is caching in the pouring rain, or poking around cemetaries by flashlight trying to read tombstones to answer questions on a virtual.. I got started geocaching with a fellow volunteer "trail mule" from the cumberland trail (Minner). He went with me the first time and we found 5 that day. I couldn't wait to get back out on my own wth my trusty little e-trex vista.

Edited by craziecacher

I just don't get it.. there are a million female cachers on this thread, yet every time I meet a young lady then at some point mention I like Geocaching they roll their eyes & start edging away from the geek! ...and yet when you read the profiles on dating sites all women seem to like a walk on the beach, how much more fun would that be if there were added caches! I'll never understand women :lol:

-S.

(For "s"olo cacher)

lmao peztone. im exactly the opposite. im female and consider myself to be a geek and proud of it. im new to geocaching, infact so new im still investigating the site and studying it all in fine detail.

my bf on the other hand cant see what the big deal is to treck miles into no where just to find something hidden under a rock or something.But if i said to him its a good photo op, then he would grab his camera and be out there quicker than greased lightning!

geeks? geeks? we are everywhere!

my bf on the other hand cant see what the big deal is to treck miles into no where just to find something hidden under a rock or something.

I'm with you, paganfrog. My husband doesn't like geocaching, and can't understand why I love it. He loves being in the woods, but I can't convince him that it's also fun to look for caches while you're out there! :lol:

I am acutally a PDA Geek.... and last year was working on PDA Team for work when in the Pocket PC magazine I ran across an article on GeoCaching. I went home and told the husband it looked like fun. We went out and bought a GPS that weekend on the advice of my boss who is a Duck Hunter and GeoCacher himself. Then we were off looking for the Cache closest to the house. From then on we have been hooked. We celebrate one year of caching July 20 and we should have our 100 cache in by end of June. We are in NC near Charlotte.

Gets up both out in the air for a bit instead of sitting in front of a PC. We love the exercise, hiking, and the history that some caches tell.

We even have 4 of our own now with more to come.

Anne

AKA Mrs. Parrothead

And yet another name to add to the list....me! I first heard about Geocaching last year through a female friend who I know through Orienteering. Back in April (this year), my father shows up for a visit with his GPS, and announces that he's taking me Geocaching. I couldn't believe he knew about it, and he couldn't believe that I'd heard of it! We went out for 3 caches and I was hooked. He left me his Garmin Etrex Summit, since he was getting 60CS. Now I have one too, and he's coming down this week to cache with me. My husband will go along if I drag him, but I'm the primary cacher in the family and frequently go alone. Love it!

The Rhubarb (that's me) and Sweet Pea part of this group are both female! Hubby (Piglrim) got a GPS back in 2002 because his buddy got one for Christmas and insisted that Pilgrim had to have one too. There was much eye-rolling on my part, but we got one, and I pictured the two of them standing in the middle of the woods on a backpack trip looking at their GPSs and saying, "Yep, here's where we are!". Dorks.

Then Pilgrim showed me the Geocaching site. I read through it, realized what it was....and was hooked even before hunting for my first cache. I demanded a lesson on how to use the GPS and we were off!

Now the 3 of us love to go out caching together - Sweet Pea (6 yrs old) loves the hunt and trading stuff, Piglrim and I just enjoy getting out of the house, or finding new fun places in other towns when we visit/find caches there.

We have some other friends who recently tried it - the mom made fun of me for a long time whenever I talked about how fun caching is.....but once they did it themselves, she realized how fun it was, and her two boys had a blast, naturally. I still have friends who think I'm a dork though for caching, playing video games, etc. :tongue: But I can live with that!

Yes, I am a female GeoCacher. I am just now getting my hubby into the "sport" (at least i call it a sport). He was leary about it when it took us 2 hours to find our 1st multi and then the second find we did together went missing. He is now warming up to the game now we have found a few more. We just dont have enough in our area to do it frequently. :tongue:

I am a new female geocacher. My ex introduced me to it and I am positively hooked. Can't wait for my two teenage children to come home from their vacation so that I can introduce them to it.... :lol: I hope they enjoy it as much as I do. I will also be caching with my Girl Scout troop of 8th graders. They should love it.

Thanks

gsguru8306

An yet another. Heard about it a while ago throught the main stream news (tv or newspaper don't remember which). While on a trip was talking with my SGM and mentioned looking into it. He was already involved. <_< He gave me some advise on GPSs and one day I stopped by the store and picked one up. Started hunting in a familiar urban setting, been branching out ever since. Some times I go with friends, male or female. Got one friend very involved, she's just bought her own GPS.

Hi,

I am yet another female geocacher. I got started as part of my job. I work for the Royal Botanical Gardens and as the resident GIS person, was asked to investigate the caches on our property and formulate a policy (in favour, with conditions). Although I haven't found all that many caches yet, my partner (male) also enjoys the sport. We try to find at least one cache where ever we go, which has even included Spain, and combine geocaching with other activies, such as today, when we looked for a cache while logging breeding birds for the Breeding Bird Atlas of Ontario.

margw6

Dundas, ON, Canada

New since end of June - my grown son told me to go to geocaching.com and I was hooked. My husband and I do hunt together, but I have more time and go out solo most of the time (or with Betsy Ross, the goecaching Boston Terrier). Did get good and lost early on - too far away from my car and had to call my husbnad on my cell to come and get me...but even that didn't stop the urge. I have never been an active, outdoor person and I am finding a whole new world and confidence in myself out there! And yes! I am a redhead!!

Hey all! I got into geocaching by myself as I saw that there were caches placed in parks near me that I went to with my kids. After getting a unit and taking them "treasure hunting" they love it. My hubby says it sounds like fun (but has yet to come out with us!) We'll get him hooked somehow B) Any way got my Mom hooked too!

This is a fun topic, however all the people who started it (in 2002) are no longer registered! :o Just sayin'....

I am a female geocaching addict. My girlfriend's husband started it and I knew I was vunerable. So naturally when my family went on our first hunt with them I convinced my husband and kids that this would be fun for us and we bought a Magellan gps. For the first 1 1/2 months I let my husband be in charge of the gps but we only found 10 caches in that time, so I sat down with the manual and learned how to work the gps myself. It has been "Mom's" obsession ever since. I can always find some excuse to fit a cache hunt into my daily routine - or exercise routine! B)

This is a fun topic, however all the people who started it (in 2002) are no longer registered! :o Just sayin'....

Most of them are still around, it's just that this thread predates a change in forum software. All the posts on the old system were moved here, but I guess they were not able to migrate the user profiles.

I'm a red-headed female geocacher too :-)

I heard about geocaching a few years ago but rediscovered it recently on the internet and decided to go buy myself a GPS receiver.

My fiance has accompanied me most of the time so far, I'm not sure yet if he is independantly interested in the hobby.

I'm a mom to 3 girls and we all go geocaching. We just got started about a month ago and we are hooked. My husband goes with us sometimes, but so far he isn't addicted like we are. My girls are 8, 4 & 18 months. They love the hiking and "treasure" hunting. They especially like finding foreign coins in the caches.

Hi Star of Team Tigger checking in ... female I am !

Wulf got me started with the whole geocaching thing . We have been dating for about 6 years now .  We have gotten engaged to !

*whispers , I am a better cacher then he is to *  :D  :D

:laughing:  :D  :D

Hi I'm female too. Well tom-boy, girlie, truck/semi lovin, she man woman that I am. LOL. I cache with Team Tigger International alot. usually Star and myslef. I do it solo too though. Ma and Pa 'star and wulf- team tigger' got me started on this. I love it. I am cache obsessed. And Ma RIGHT ON!!!!!

*whispers , I am a better cacher then he is to *

that is for us hard core eat sleep and drink cachers. lol

love ya pa :D

Awsome Ev-

the amish geocacher :D:D:D:anitongue:

It is great to see so many ladies in this "sport"?.. I am the serious cacher int he family, I love being outside and this is a good venue for me when I can'[t fun ww in my solo canoe or get on the river. I have introduced several people to it and can usually but not always find a caching partner,, not that that stops me. :anitongue: to date no one has caught the bug yet but that is ok *g*..My hubby will go along once in awhile and my teenager goes I think to keep me out of trouble..In either case I always love the company. Night caching is my fav. and I often do best when I go then. Have fun ladies and play safe...kim

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but... I am a female and I go caching with my two girls, 2 and 5. Does anyone else feel unsafe sometimes? Since we are in NH and cache in somewhat isolated places, it's downright scary sometimes. We have a dog- a golden retriever so she will pretty much knock you over with all her tail wagging! I know deep down that this should not stop us but....

I heard about geocaching a *long* time ago from Moun10Bike, but didn't really think much of it at the time. There weren't many caches and they were harder to get to.

This last summer my husband's friend got into it and suggested it to my husband. As a family we started caching with his old Garmin 45 and have enjoyed the chance to get outside more. We take our girls, 1 and 4 along on most hunts, but they do get left elsewhere occasionally. You will notice that most of our finds are at parks where they can play. It's great for teaching our oldest about trading and that is her reward. She usually has to pick out something to trade from home so she has to give up something to get something new. She's catching on and gets excited to go find a box, even suggests it sometimes. I don't think the little one has a clue about it yet, just let her explore and she is happy.

My husband is a whimp and hates the risky muggle searches. I'm fairly brave and don't have much trouble with them. I did one find around 10pm on a Friday in an alley behind apartments (lots of college students), with a nearby apartment door open and right under the window of another occupied apartment. Had to stop a number of times to wait out people, but did find my prize.

I am a female geocacher. I went to a Girl Scout Outdoor Conference in New York and learned about the sport with a female friend. We are both hooked (more like addicted). She is divorced and my husband is a wimp - it hurts his knees to walk far or I worked all night. I would rather go with my girl friend. We can cache all day and into the night. If I take my hubby, he is done after about 4 caches (easy ones at that). I have been getting a lot of kidding at work about being so addicted, but I have gotten at least 4 other female friends into it too. By the way, we are all adult Girl Scouts so it is right up out alley. We are the ones in our council that train the camping stuff.

I have also gotten my 8 year old granddaughter into it. She is wanting a GPS for Christmas.

I was having a lot of problems with my knees - Drs. had done all they could - only thing left was to lose weight so I have started that and the caching is giving me the exercise I need. I was out both Sat. and Sun. this past weekend and knees were a little stiff today - a girl friend and I went out and hit a couple after work and they feel much better. (Is it my imagination?)

I say more power to the women cachers!!