What is your favorite type of geocach

If I have the time that day ... a several Stage woodland Muli-cache. Zero thorns preferred, but not a deal breaker. With an Ammo Can final. NONE of the Stages are any size less than SMALL (a real SMALL, not a mis-labeled film can). All Stages have PLAIN TEXT coordinates (no puzzle component). And all the coordinates were marked by someone that knows what they are doing.

Almost any cache that provides a physical challenge or takes me to an interesting location. Out in the woods caches are always a favorite for me. I tend to enjoy finding regular sized containers more but that doesn't really enter into it if any of the above conditions are met.

I do like earthcaches and virtuals but tend to shy away from them because so many require too many hoops to jump through for proof of your visit.

Virtuals - particularly those that take me deep into parks where caching is not otherwise allowed or show me history in a new way.

Earthcaches - places that I never would have discovered with insight into the science underlying this planet

Letterboxes - those that offer more than a store bought stamp at the given coordinates

Wherigos- that provide a creative adventure

In the end my favorites have less to do with a particular type and more with the location or experience.

Looking through my Favorites list, a lot of them are mystery/puzzle caches. Some of those are all about the puzzle; the puzzle solution produces coordinates, and the cache can be found at those coordinates. Others are puzzle multi-caches, with field puzzles and other complexities on site.

A lot of them are traditional caches. Some of those are all about the hide, usually clever challenging camouflage. Others are all about the location, whether scenic, artistic, historic, or something else. Actually, there are a lot that feature public art in one way or another, including a few multi-caches.

If I had to pick one favorite type, then I'd pick the puzzle multi-caches. But the ones with clever challenging camouflage and the ones that feature public art are a pretty close second and third.

Traditional caches in really interesting locations. Especially those that get me acquainted with some places that cannot be found in popular guides. Something special that I would definitely miss without paying attention to this cache.

I'll take a nice-size container large enough to accept the TB I need to drop off, dry inside (and of course with a dry log), at the end of a moderate hike (2-3 miles isn't too far to go for something like this), at an interesting location I might not have visited otherwise.

Up in the mountains, down by a lake, out in the desert...none of that really matters.

A cache in a nice spot that is not a 'nasty' hide. I hate NIH hides.

I agree. A good challenging hide is alot of fun. One that incorporates good camo or is hidden a bit differently from your run of the mill cache. Luck is pretty much the only thing needed for finding NIHs.

Armchair caching. :drama:
So, puzzle caches?
No. Armchair caching (aka couch potato caching) involves logging finds without actually going anywhere.

While puzzle caches may involve solving the puzzle from the comfort of your own home, you do actually have to go somewhere to find the cache. Armchair caching is different, and doesn't involve going somewhere to find the cache at all.

Location, location, location.

Although I'm not thrilled with nanos or micros, I don't mind any size of container as long as:

• It brought me to a location that is worth going to. (Admittedly subjective. I'm a country boy, not an urbanite.)
  • It did not require more than 10 minutes to find the cache. I'd like to spend more time enjoying the location, rather than stomping and staring for a cache.

To me the finding/logging of the GC is on par with the location -- not more or less important.

• It brought me to a location that is worth going to.
  • It did not require more than 10 minutes to find the cache. I'd like to spend more time enjoying the location, rather than stomping and staring for a cache.

To me the finding/logging of the GC is on par with the location -- not more or less important.

I never thought about it that way, but yeah, I'd say that's true for me too.

Anything as long as I don't have to solve anything, enter next coordinates or pass a test to prove I've been there.

I don't recall if you've ever NOT said in any post that you don't like puzzle caches. I think I can speak for many here when I say:

WE GET IT!

Edited by J Grouchy

While I love ammo can sized caches...almost every one I've found has either been placed next to a tree in dense woods or in a hollowed-out fallen tree. What truly impresses me is when it's a cache that size but hidden in a different way. Sometimes it's an abandoned and repurposed electrical box, a collapsible birdhouse...even an ammo can I once found magnetically attached to the underside of an old switch box next to an abandoned rail line here in town. It's easy to hide a nano in plain sight. I'm more impressed by the larger containers hidden in areas that get a lot of passers-by yet are never muggled.

As there are various reasons for liking a cache, I'd like to see (alongside / instead of the attributes the CO gives a cache) "Like" points rewarded by finders for

Journey to cache

Scenery at GZ

I learnt something: historical / otherwise interesting cache and write-up

Container

Fun / challenge to retrieve once at GZ

Fun / challenge to find once at GZ

Enjoyable puzzle / multi

These would of course be searchable on pocket queries... this weekend I want some fun containers, not bothered about the scenery. Etc etc.

I'd like to think my 7 caches would each get points in at least one of those categories. They've got 10 fave points for 73 finds (15%) so that's not too bad. But a system like the one I suggest would filter that info.

Lunchbreak in 2 mins and for cache #750 (and 751 752 753) I'm off to find some home-made containers that will be fun to find and retrieve.

An ammo can in the woods. And by woods I mean penetrable woods, not a location that is deep within impassible thicket that requires a machete to get to within 200 yards of GZ.

And not nanos in the woods.

But those locations serve two purposes. One, they offer up a really nice challenge. The other, you usually end up with real souvenirs after you get it. You know, like ticks, scratches, poison ivy. Now those are much better than those little images that gc.com places on your profile! :laughing:

Seriously though, those are the type caches that most people will actually remember and feel a sense of pride for completing. I know so many cachers who cache mainly for the smiley. You can ask them about a cache they did yesterday and chances are they don't remember a thing about it. They have the smiley count at the end of the day but that's about it. Kinda sad to me but if that's what floats their boat. :(

I love when a cache takes me to a location with a great view, that is someplace I might not have otherwise known about, or an historic location. To me, any cache in the woods is just like any other cache in the woods unless there is something special about the location like a small waterfall, great view etc.

I love when a cache takes me to a location with a great view, that is someplace I might not have otherwise known about, or an historic location. To me, any cache in the woods is just like any other cache in the woods unless there is something special about the location like a small waterfall, great view etc.

Yeah...I've come across a few like that where I ask myself "how do these people even remember where they put it?!?"...such a non-descript area that the cache owner probably needs to use the GPS to zero in on his or her own cache.

What is your favorite type of geocach ?

For the Riffster Clan, this is not a simple question. The answer evolves in stages, with several factors aggregating for a combined positive experience. Groundspeak's motto is, "The language of location", and this is where our preferences begin. Bring us to a spot we would enjoy even if there were no cache there, and you are well on your way to creating a cache we would love. As a guide, we'll suggest that waterfalls vastly trump 500 acres of sweltering blacktop, bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs.

Next, comes the container. Our objective any time we hide a cache is to use the best container possible, regardless of size. Over the years, we've learned that there are numerous containers which have demonstrated the ability to keep their contents dry in varying environments. This list includes ammo cans, real Lock & Locks, match safes, real Bison Design tubes and soda bottle preforms. Our experience has also taught us that there is a host of containers out there which totally suck, in varied environments, to include black & gray film cans, hide-a-keys, Chinese made bison tubes, Gladware, knock off brand Lock & Locks, Altoids tins, and duct tape Ziplock baggies. Considering that match safes cost about $0.88, and preforms cost about $0.60, there really is no excuse to use inferior containers.

Following this, (and somewhat related to the second factor), is container size. There is an old axiom drifting around the geocaching community: Use the largest container your selected ground zero will support. We are strong believers in this principle. For us, assuming everything else is equal, (nice location and a quality container), we will enjoy a larger container over a tiny one. We like writing about our experiences in the physical cache log, as opposed to simply posting the date and our initials, and a logbook in a regular size cache allows us that freedom. Also, we like swag. Granted, we almost never trade. But we do like leaving our signature items, and we enjoy pawing through the swag to see what's in there. It's part of the fun, for us. If a cache owner decides to use a micro, we lose the option of writing our story in the physical log, pawing through swag and leaving our signature items.

Lastly, but not least important, is the cache page write up. We are a family of readers. Reading is something we all enjoy. Give us an interesting write up, and you will have our gratitude. A cache page with fewer words than are tattooed on Rosie O'Donnell's backside? Not so much.

Once all these factors are combined, and it's time to choose the cache type, our favorite is the Wherigo. We love a well thought out multi, but on occasion we have to abandon the hunt midway due to a missing stage. With a Wherigo, we no longer have that concern. And because they are interactive, we become part of the adventure.

What is your favorite type of geocach ?

For the Riffster Clan, this is not a simple question. The answer evolves in stages, with several factors aggregating for a combined positive experience. Groundspeak's motto is, "The language of location", and this is where our preferences begin. Bring us to a spot we would enjoy even if there were no cache there, and you are well on your way to creating a cache we would love. As a guide, we'll suggest that waterfalls vastly trump 500 acres of sweltering blacktop, bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs.

Next, comes the container. Our objective any time we hide a cache is to use the best container possible, regardless of size. Over the years, we've learned that there are numerous containers which have demonstrated the ability to keep their contents dry in varying environments. This list includes ammo cans, real Lock & Locks, match safes, real Bison Design tubes and soda bottle preforms. Our experience has also taught us that there is a host of containers out there which totally suck, in varied environments, to include black & gray film cans, hide-a-keys, Chinese made bison tubes, Gladware, knock off brand Lock & Locks, Altoids tins, and duct tape Ziplock baggies. Considering that match safes cost about $0.88, and preforms cost about $0.60, there really is no excuse to use inferior containers.

Following this, (and somewhat related to the second factor), is container size. There is an old axiom drifting around the geocaching community: Use the largest container your selected ground zero will support. We are strong believers in this principle. For us, assuming everything else is equal, (nice location and a quality container), we will enjoy a larger container over a tiny one. We like writing about our experiences in the physical cache log, as opposed to simply posting the date and our initials, and a logbook in a regular size cache allows us that freedom. Also, we like swag. Granted, we almost never trade. But we do like leaving our signature items, and we enjoy pawing through the swag to see what's in there. It's part of the fun, for us. If a cache owner decides to use a micro, we lose the option of writing our story in the physical log, pawing through swag and leaving our signature items.

Lastly, but not least important, is the cache page write up. We are a family of readers. Reading is something we all enjoy. Give us an interesting write up, and you will have our gratitude. A cache page with fewer words than are tattooed on Rosie O'Donnell's backside? Not so much.

Once all these factors are combined, and it's time to choose the cache type, our favorite is the Wherigo. We love a well thought out multi, but on occasion we have to abandon the hunt midway due to a missing stage. With a Wherigo, we no longer have that concern. And because they are interactive, we become part of the adventure.

Dude...you might as well just make that into your signature since you repeat it in almost every single post. Either that or you need a new line...

I haven't been caching very long. I enjoy almost any cache...I enjoy a nano in a place that has plenty of items I check before I find the cache. I also enjoy ones that are big enough for swag. My kids love finding the bigger caches with swag...but they rarely trade for anything but enjoy dropping off a nice items from their collection of toys from the house.