"Geocoin Buddy" Experiment

Hack1of2

2-1/2 years ago we released nine little geocacher guy geocoins, four are still active. This August we are sending out nine more, identical to the original nine, but this time with the "Don't keep me" Geocoin Buddy tags on them (pictured below). It will be interesting to see a comparison of how long they last.

The geocoins are 1" diameter round, 2 MM thick, and have the abbreviations FTF, CITO, DNF, & TFTC.

If they last a long time, we will be thrilled; if they disappear relatively quickly, well that's part of the game!

i-gRwMDdV-L.jpg

2-1/2 years ago we released nine little geocacher guy geocoins, four are still active. This August we are sending out nine more, identical to the original nine, but this time with the "Don't keep me" Geocoin Buddy tags on them (pictured below). It will be interesting to see a comparison of how long they last.

The geocoins are 1" diameter round, 2 MM thick, and have the abbreviations FTF, CITO, DNF, & TFTC.

If they last a long time, we will be thrilled; if they disappear relatively quickly, well that's part of the game!

i-gRwMDdV-L.jpg

Very Nice, Hope the travel far and wide. ~Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

Definitely interested in the results.

Only problem with the 'Buddies' is that you still need a way to attach them. We have never drilled a hole in a coin yet and don't plan on starting. Only way we've found is to use a plastic coin flip holder and punch a hole in the corner and attach a tag, mission card, or... (?) by using a small plastic wire tie, or could be done with a short chain.

GL with your experiment !!

2-1/2 year update:

Apparently adding the geocoin buddy tags made little or no difference. The first group of 9 geocoins released 2/2011 without geocoin buddy tags resulted in 4 of 9 surviving after 2-1/2 years. None of them are active anymore as it's now been a little over 5 years. Of the second batch of 9 released 8/2013 WITH geocoin buddy tags, only 1 of 9 lasted 2-1/2 years.

So much for my assumptions that the tags added to the coins would increase their longevity out in the wild. I'll still continue to place trackables out there from time to time - I just don't have expectations that they'll last forever, and that's OK.