High Desert Sasquatch

A coworker and I have been doing a fair amount of geocaching in the Central Oregon area lately. Recently, we came across some tracks which could have been mistaken (or misrepresented) to be bigfoot tracks. Our ultimate interpretation was that they were a combination of deer tracks and horse tracks. Quite obviously not bigfoot tracks, but that's not the point:

photo of the track, to the right of my boot

I've been somewhat interested in sasquatch for as long as I can remember, but I never thought I'd be in an area of "activity". I don't implicitly believe in bigfoot, however I don't think its fair to discount the possibility. There have been many, many reports around the Bend area over the past twenty years, and they do form patterns.

Thankfully, some of the best cache locations in this area are also in the general vicinity of reported bigfoot activity. My plan is to combine geocaching with amateur investigation.

Have any of you ever run into any bigfoot-type things while caching in the woods? Unusual screams, horrible smells (setting myself up for jokes, I know icon_wink.gif ), large footprints, or actual sightings?

Looks like deer.

Some animals like bears walk on all fours in such a way that the rear foot print ends up being very close or touching the front foot print depression - making for one big wierd looking foot.

I'm a bigfoot buff to the extreme. Full-card carrying with plaster casts of "Patty" from Bluff Creek(the famous Roger Patterson film) and "Cripple foot" from Mt St, Helens hanging on my wall.

Dr. Grover Krantz from Washington State U has a good book called "Big Footprints". His angle is that Sasquatch could be one of several missing links in the evolutionary chain and has coined the phrase "Gigantipithicus". Some of his ideas on Cripple foot and the Patterson Film are pretty neat.

I'm planning a bigfoot cache this summer, you're too far away to hit it but I'll try to remember to send you the link. It's gonna be funny.

I've made bigfoot feet that tie on to boots and gone for a run in the snow. You put them on backwards and then run down a hill. It makes the stride ENOURMOUS although the print's full weight depression is backwards to the rear.

Cheers!

Thanks Zartimus, there's always a chance I might be somewhere unexpected icon_smile.gif

I've been meaning to get a few books off Amazon, thanks for the recommendation of Krantz's book.

Has there been a correlation noted that you know of between gravel pits / quarries and bigfoot sightings?

What a GREAT geocaching handle/name/moniker for someone in the NW - "Bigfoot". Surprized nobody has thought of it.

BTW, about 20 years ago prints were found at Camp Steiner east of Salt Lake City. It is a Boy Scout Camp and caused quite a stir. I saw casts of the prints.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Has there been a correlation noted that you know of between gravel pits / quarries and bigfoot sightings?

There are sightings in places like that(search the net for that keyword combination and you get lots of hits), but I'm not sure if that type of area gets a significantly larger number of sightings. Logging crews, Individual campers way out in the bush, They seem to come up a lot of them.

I like the study that took many different Indian dialects with words pertaining to Sasquatch, mapped them to exsisting placenames and found that they came up again and again in the same places where there were a lot of sightings in the 1900's to present. Seems native people have known about this for years.

Anyone who thinks that's kind of wierd should remember that in the 1920's early European explorers in Africa were laughed out of the universities for reporting enourmous hairy "men" (Gorillas) in the mountain ranges until a specimen was produced many years later.

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

... Anyone who thinks that's kind of wierd should remember that in the 1920's early European explorers in Africa were laughed out of the universities for reporting enourmous hairy "men" (Gorillas) in the mountain ranges until a specimen was produced many years later.

The 1920's???

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

The _19_20's???

Sorry, internal typo in my brain. The Eastern Mountain gorilla was discovered in 1902, wrong decade(grin). Some European shot one (ouch) and I'm pretty sure that latin portion of the name is that of this guy who brought one back to civilization.

Three locationless geocachers were out trying to bag a “strange track” locationless geocache when they came across some really strange tracks in the ground. The first locationless geocacher said "I think they may be deer tracks". The second locationless geocacher said "no, they are far to big for deer, they must be bear tracks". The third locationless geocacher didn’t say anything.... the train had already hit him. icon_razz.gif

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Three locationless geocachers ...... The third locationless geocacher didn’t say anything.... the train had already hit him. icon_razz.gif

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Most large mammale that walk on all fours often leave "double prints". That is to say the hind-leg pawprint sometimes touches or runs into the fore-leg pawprint. The results are a large human sized print with an inordinant abount of toes and claw marks.

Very wierd looking.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Recently, we came across some tracks which could have been mistaken (or misrepresented) to be bigfoot tracks. Our ultimate interpretation was that they were a combination of deer tracks and horse tracks. Quite obviously not bigfoot tracks, but that's not the point:

http://www.mrsnazz.com/~jmc/2002/june/3/DSC02546.JPG

If you turn your head 90 degrees counterclockwise, you can sort of see a backwards Denver Broncos emblem.

[This message was edited by Lyra on August 14, 2002 at 03:02 PM.]