A few questions befote my first adventure.

cjdobz

Hello everyone. :laughing:

I have known about GeoCaching for a few years now and have recently decided I'm going to get stuck in. I have spent the last couple of nights recearching and it looks great. I just wish I had taken it up earlier.

I have read the rules but there are some things I am a little unsure of and would love to read some different opinions.

Firstly when logging a find what info should I give and what info should I not give?

Also I love taking pictures. What is ok to snap and what is not?. For example is it it ok to take a pic of the container and log book if it does not reveal its location?

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. great website and forum. really quick and easy to understand!!

The only info you shouldn't give is anything (comments or pictures) that would give away the hide and spoil the hunt for others. If you find an ammo can in the woods, it's probably OK to take a pic of it (but not its hiding place), since knowing what an ammo can looks like won't give away the hide. However, if the container is cleverly camouflaged or made to look like some other ordinary object, that could possibly be a spoiler.

I take plenty of pics of cool, creative containers that I find, but only for my own collection and not to post if I think it will be a giveaway.

As far as logs, write whatever you feel like about your adventure....what the weather was like, who you were with, something funny that happened on the hunt, etc. (again, as long as it doesn't give away the location). Most CO's really appreciate when finders write a little something about their experience instead of curt acronyms. Good luck!

photos of the container are fine, as long as it doesn't reveal the location of the cache, most photo's will be of cachers, or their kids holding the container, or of a landscape or view of the area. as you log more caches you will see photos that others have posted, this will give you a good example of what is ok to post.

As for your logging of a cache, really you can write what ever you want, but its a good idea not to give away the exact location of the cache. some people will not appreciate that as this is all about the hunt and the find. write about your experience on your way to the cache, if you had trouble finding it, and its nice to let the cache owner know that if their cache is in good condition or in need of repair. and remember just because you didn't find it, doesn't mean its not there, I have had a lot of new cachers not find some I have hidden and post that it is missing when they just didn't find it.

Go through the cache log and read what previous finders have written, you will see that some cachers will log a detailed description of their adventure and others will just log a "found it", it is entirely up to you how much detail you want to put into your log. Just remember to keep it kid friendly.

good luck with your new found hobby, remember the bug spray, and to keep your eye of the path.

oh and check out the podcaher podcast, they have a show every week and there can be some very useful info for new cachers. www.podcaher.com

The only info you shouldn't give is anything (comments or pictures) that would give away the hide and spoil the hunt for others. If you find an ammo can in the woods, it's probably OK to take a pic of it (but not its hiding place), since knowing what an ammo can looks like won't give away the hide. However, if the container is cleverly camouflaged or made to look like some other ordinary object, that could possibly be a spoiler.

I take plenty of pics of cool, creative containers that I find, but only for my own collection and not to post if I think it will be a giveaway.

As far as logs, write whatever you feel like about your adventure....what the weather was like, who you were with, something funny that happened on the hunt, etc. (again, as long as it doesn't give away the location). Most CO's really appreciate when finders write a little something about their experience instead of curt acronyms. Good luck!

Well said.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy.

Photos of the container are usually fine as long as they don't give away the hiding place. The only exception is if it is a uniquely camouflaged container like a fake sprinkler, birdhouse, rock, pine cone, etc. Most owners won't appreciate you posting pics of those.

When logging a find I'll usually mention the weather, who I was with, something about the walk to the cache and how long it took me to find the cache. If it was an interesting adventure my logs can be several paragraphs long, but if the cache isn't particularly special then the log might be a sentence or two.

Edited by briansnat

Yeah!! Thanks again guys! I just thought it would be best to double check. I've got a small, easy cache lined up. I'm gonna try tomorrow. :rolleyes: It's nearby so should be a good start. hopefully I will have a lot of good things to say. :lol:

Let us know how you get on, and if you have any more questions, please ask!