Trackable etiquette - how long before I start hunting for my missing TB?

teambaconpancakes

(Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, so I'm re-posting it here.)

Newbie here. I just had my first cache with a trackable in it published two days ago. Since then, several people have found it, and today one of the cachers alerted me to the fact that the trackable is no longer in the cache -- yet no one has logged it as retrieved yet so it's still showing as available inventory. :c

What are the guidelines for cache owners who want to know where their trackable is? I'm *hoping* someone just doesn't know how to log it (though I'd be surprised if that's true -- the TB has a tag around it with step-by-step directions on how to log it) rather than it just got swiped in the first two days of being out. How long should I wait before I start inquiring to the first cachers on the scene to see if they picked it up?

(I love the concept of trackables, but in my short time geocaching so far, they have been the most frustrating part of the whole game. No one ever seems to log them when they find them. Out of dozens of caches I've found listing a TB in the inventory, only ONE trackable has ever actually been in the container still. It drives me nuts!)

This happened to me, I dropped our first trackable, never a word, and then the cache was muggled after 3 more finders. Since someone has mentioned it's gone, I'd go and message all the finders asking them if they'd seen it in the cache, and if they'd forgotten to log it. But I'd wait at least a good few weeks, minimum to do that, as they may have just not logged it yet.

This is a duplicate thread so anyone wishing to post should go to the other one as this one will, no doubt, be locked.

teambaconpancakes, as you likely have seen by now, the forum moderators will, as a courtesy, move your topic for you when it is posted to the wrong forum.