Hoarding your caches

RagnoJr

Ok, I know some of you Geocaching purists are going to ream me for this one, but I am finding that I am purposefully not caching the last couple weeks of July so I will have plenty of "easy finds" nearby for the "31 Days of Geocaching" this August.

I know, I know . . . may the Geocaching Gods strike me down now, but I am actually excited about trying to get all the "31 Days of Geocaching" Souvenirs. I plan to try to get out there every day and not only grab some of the easier ones nearby, but also try to finally snag a few of those elusive ones that have been evading me so far.

What about the rest of you? Anyone willing to admit that they're taking it easy these last couple days to better their chances of collecting all 31 souvies?

Edited by RagnoJr

What about the rest of you? Anyone willing to admit that they're taking it easy these last couple days to better their chances of collecting all 31 souvies?

I haven't cut out any more than usual, but have been a little occupied hiding some new caches. I'm looking at a special PQ for some choice caches I can maybe find. I'm even considering writing to COs for some nearby DNF caches everybody else found easily that are totally evil and not findable.

I'm not even all that excited about "Souvenirs", and haven't looked at them. But I'll just see how many "days in August" I can get anyway.

Around here everyone is hiding new,"31 days of August cache". I think we are up to about 40 now. I'm still grabbing at least one cache a day as I'm trying for a 100 day challenge. I leave the new caches alone though as there are enough older caches around that I have not found yet. Most of the local cachers and the FTF hounds are leaving the new caches alone but look out on the first of August.

I have killed 2 birds in one stone. I have done a lot of trips this last month or two to get most of my geocaching needs done but I admit, I have ignored most of the near local caches so I can have nearby caches to find. I have no desire to find a cache for a streak every day and have to drive 25 miles round trip every day so I have left some 2 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles, whatever, unfound so I do not have to go that far away to continue.

Its what I would do for a streak because personally, I may not be in the mood some days and a cache 2 miles from home that day may be all I can tolerate.

I don't plan on making any special efforts for the August souvenirs, so there's no change in my recent behaviour. There has been a change in the behaviour of others, though. I've gotten far fewer finds on my caches in the last week or two, and there have been a number of caches hidden with the intention of giving other cachers something to find in August. Another cacher has listed events for every Saturday in August.

Nothing wrong with your plan. I hadn't really thought about it but since I haven't been caching much this past month I might actually try it myself. I've never tried for streaks before. I don't even know what my longest is, although it's probably not 31 days. Might be a fun little game to try.

What will get people shrieking is when it is discovered that someone has gone out to a power trail and pre-dated a bunch of caches and then logs them on-line from the comfort of their living room day by day.

Something like that was discussed recently in a different thread.

Guilty! :o I have saved a list of nearby caches (within 10 miles) that are easy, have been found recently and are mostly P&G's. These are for Monday-Friday because with work, I won't really have much time. For the weekends, I have saved another list of nearby caches that will require more effort and time. I have even passed up a few easy caches lately so I can "find" them in August. So, yep, guilty as charged. I have however, been placing some caches in the meantime. :anicute:

Edited by usatxmom

I don't think purists would have any issue with your approach. They might take issue with finding caches this week, but not logging them until August. Even non-purists might object to that bit of dishonesty, but it won't really hurt anyone so if that is how some cachers want to play, they can.

I hardly ever check my souvenirs tab. I've already done 100+ days in a row to qualify for a challenge, and doubt I will ever do a streak again. I don't plan to change my caching plans for a few more bits of pixellated artwork. My closest 1000 PQ barely goes out 12 miles. I've got plenty of caches nearby if I need to go find one.

Nothing wrong with your plan. I hadn't really thought about it but since I haven't been caching much this past month I might actually try it myself. I've never tried for streaks before. I don't even know what my longest is, although it's probably not 31 days. Might be a fun little game to try.

Longest Streak 12 consecutive days with finds from 09 Mar 06 to 20 Mar 06

I think that fudging log dates to get the souvenirs is a bit cheesy, but I'm sure it will happen. As far as holding back on caching now to get them during August, if that is what floats your boat, then go for it.

I predict that this campaign will result in a lot more throwdowns and other phony found it logs than usual. An unfortunate and unintended consequence of this new focus on numbers. Wasn't it last year that the new focus was on cache quality, or was that 2011? Hard to keep up.

Edited by briansnat

I don't think purists would have any issue with your approach. They might take issue with finding caches this week, but not logging them until August. Even non-purists might object to that bit of dishonesty, but it won't really hurt anyone so if that is how some cachers want to play, they can.

I don't know about that. If someone logs a DNF on one of my caches on 8/4 and then someone else logs a find on 8/5, even though he actually found it in July but wants to get the 8/5 souvenir, I'm going to think that my cache is okay even though it may be missing.

Your approach sounds fine, and I don't think any "purists" will take issue. I'd say it's no different than Joe cacher who decided he was going to go on a 31 day cache streak in May of 2011, to qualify for the local cache a day challenge, and of course qualify for the multitude of them that exist just about anywhere he travels.

Anyone else? Not me, but I'm sure there are several who are in just about every local Geocaching community. I'd file them under mainstream, highly active, premium members. There's not too many of them, but they have a very high profile online. Especially since you can count the people placing high quality 31 days of August caches, or hosting nightly flash mobs, amongst them.

I must admit I like the country souveniers. But I am not going to try to get souveniers for August. If I get one, fine. But I am not going out for them, I cache when I like. I do however plan to find a Geocache on Gecaching day. On the 17th. I just like the souveniers for countries, and since most European countries have no souveniers for them at all. I would rather have those added to geocaching.com then a souvenier for every random day in August.

Personally I think giving a souvenir for any and every day in August cheapens the souvenirs. Most of them are not easy to get. You have to travel to another state or show up at an event on a specific date. I'll start on Aug. 1 and 2 and see what the souvenirs look like. I now have to drive quite a ways (>20 miles) to get a new cache. Two new ones did pop up in town, and of course I'm saving them. I hope some thoughtful cachers put some more out nearby. I plan to put at least one out myself.

I must admit I like the country souveniers. But I am not going to try to get souveniers for August. If I get one, fine. But I am not going out for them, I cache when I like. I do however plan to find a Geocache on Gecaching day. On the 17th. I just like the souveniers for countries, and since most European countries have no souveniers for them at all. I would rather have those added to geocaching.com then a souvenier for every random day in August.

Agree.. I like the state and country souvenirs, but for me the August 14th 2013 just isn't that much of a landmark.