Anybody taking August off?

BTW, there are some in Australia that have been awarded the August 1st and August 2nd souvenirs. It looks like although the thumbnail for the first two days is different the artwork on the full souvenir page is identical.

Not quite true. The Aug. 1 full souvenir page has a "1/31" in the bottom-right corner, while the Aug. 2 page has a "2/31" in the bottom-right corner.

Maybe "1/31" means they aren't going to repeat this ridiculous idea in the future.

If it said "1/8/13" I'd have been worried. We might then have looked forward to souvenirs for every single day of geocaching on an ongoing basis.

Or 8/1/13 for those that live outside the U.S.

Over on the blog site, there are several blog posts related to the August souvenirs. Quite a few of the comments are from people that either have active streaks going (some with hundreds of days in a row) that just plan on extending the streak through August or some that are going to try and do a month long streak in August. There's even a post about the Groundspeak lackeys taking on a challenge to find a cache everyday in August (I'd be more impressed if they took on that challenge at location that had a cache density far less than in Seattle). But the August souvenirs are not award for finding a cache every day in August. Someone that isn't able to maintain a streak the entire month might end up getting 29 nearly identical souvenirs instead of 31 nearly identical souvenirs.

I have to wonder if awarding just 1 souvenir for finding a cache every day in August might actually get people out more than awarding one for every day that one finds a cache. If a geocacher knows they won't get the souvenir unless the go out every day they might be more motivated not to miss a day. The one a day souvenirs doesn't really motivated someone to go out every day unless that want the complete set.

8/1/13 for those that live inside the US :)

It's hard to know what motivates someone who goes caching specifically to get a souvenir. Would a single souvenir for caching every day in August encourage people to go out every day, or would it just encourage people to cheat?

I always regarded souvenirs for caching in geographical areas to be a bonus, souvenirs for caching on a particular date to be a gimmick and a series of souvenirs for caching on a series of consecutive dates to be totally pointless.

Anything streak-related will provide a growing incentive to cheat - if someone is aiming for 1000 consecutive days for any external reason (e.g. a challenge cache, souvenirs, anything except just whatever personal satisfaction they might get from doing it) then getting three days before missing one just results in a simple counter reset but going 843 days before missing one creates a much stronger incentive to cheat. If you miss one after only three days it only takes three days to get back where you were. If you managed 843 consecutive days then not only will it take over two years to restore the streak but you also need another 843 caches to find during that time.

I hope for the sake of the lackeys their local cache population isn't predominatly film pots and nanos.

I hope for the sake of the lackeys their local cache population isn't predominatly film pots and nanos.

I missed this. I personally hope that they are. I hope that the lackeys end up finding the worse caches possible. Maybe it will wake them out of their comas and let them see what the game has really become.

So, I put

geocaching.com###ctl00_ContentBody_ProfilePanel1_lnkSouvenirs

into Ad Block +. No more souvenirs. They are now totally irrelevant.

This is what everyone's profile now looks like, at least in my browser.

18838d0f-2bee-47be-b283-7c79a797d7a4.jpg?rnd=0.6326672

I suggested ABP in another thread. Now, can you show a ABP filter that will just get rid of the 31 days in August souvenirs but let me see all the other souvenirs I've previously acquired?

No, I can't seem to figure it out, and I really don't know what I'm doing anyway. You can hide the image outright, but the element that the link is based on is formatted by it's position on the page. So, if I create the rule and bring up my profile, it will block the Aug 1 link which is the third souvenir on my profile, but if I bring up your profile, it might block Alabama or whatever else is in the third position.

I missed this. I personally hope that they are. I hope that the lackeys end up finding the worse caches possible. Maybe it will wake them out of their comas and let them see what the game has really become.

+1

I was going post the exact same thing. I also wish that they would have taken on a find a cache every day in August challenge someplace that isn't as cache dense as Seattle (~5500 caches within 20 miles). I wonder if they're giving Lackeys time off of work every day in August to go find a cache. There are a *lot* of places in the world that don't have 31 caches within 20 miles (or 100 miles) where a find a cache every day in August would essentially be impossible.

I would prefer only two souvenirs for August: the one for International Geocaching Day (Aug 13?) and one for successfully completing the Aug 1, 2013 - Aug 31, 2013 streak. If I only got 30 days out of the 31 for August and I get no souvenir oh well. I do think that a different souvenir for each day of August is excessive; this month will more than double my existing Souvenirs (19).

That said, I am not going to skip caching or logging during August. I need about half the month for my Calendar Grid (all remaining open dates are between now and the end of November) and my lifetime caches/month average is by far the lowest in August (only 41 caches in 3 years!) so not logging in August would hinder me quite a bit. Plus I'm usually a stickler for logging caches on the correct date and I care about my stats so fudging my log dates for an entire month would bother me too much.

"Congratulations! You played a big part in a grand geocaching adventure. 31 Days of Geocaching celebrated the spirit of geocaching during the entire month of August. Geocachers collected souvenirs for each day they logged a “Found it” or an “Attended” during the month. The calendar-style collectibles showcase the wildlife, scenery and tools that empower geocachers as they explore the outdoors."

This is NOT the 'spirit of geocaching'. Jeremy sold the spirit years ago. He no longer even has the spirit to come here and debate these fantastically better mistakes.

This is day ONE of my August Souvenirs Suck strike. Only 30 more to go. Thanks Jeremy.

You do realize that chronic negativity will shorten your lifespan?

Perhaps instead we should all hold hands and give thanks for everything *good* about this hobby. :)

Should we sing Ommmmmm or Kumbaya while we do this? Just curious.

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna sing 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' in honor of the non-existent souvie for Georgia (not the one that sits on top of Florida). :lol:

Has anybody tried:

1. Log an August find online as July 31.

2. Immediately change the log's date to the correct one in August.

The trouble with experimenting is, if it turns out you still get the souvenir, it's indelible.

I logged my own cache for July 31.

I changed the date to August 5th.

I deleted my log.

I now have the August 5th souvenir.

It's hard to know what motivates someone who goes caching specifically to get a souvenir. Would a single souvenir for caching every day in August encourage people to go out every day, or would it just encourage people to cheat?

I'd like to answer just those two questions. I was motivated to take some extra effort to find a cache on 12/12/12, 10/10/10, Leap Day, etc because they were unique. They were not something that happened every day. Now that they are giving a souvenir for something that happens every day, I feel that it cheapens the entire idea of souvenirs.

It's a great psychological study to try to determine at what point an individual will abandon their integrity. The whole, would you let someone sleep with your wife for a million dollars thing. I would guess that anyone that would abandon their integrity to get an image on their profile that rightly belongs on the refrigerator of the parents of a three year old, probably didn't have any integrity to speak of to begin with.

I don't see online souvenirs that have no value as being a matter of personal integrity at all.

The whole issue of "would you sleep with me for $1m/$100k/$10k/$1k/$100/$10/$1?" doesn't really work because it's based on a payment relative to a person's situation in order to do something they may or may not have been willing to do anyway. So I suspect if, say, Brad Pitt were to ask a selection of women to sleep with him in exchange for $10 he'd get more takers than if you or I were to offer $1000, likewise a woman struggling to put food on the table and avoid eviction because she couldn't pay her rent might jump at the chance to make an easy $100 while someone in less dire straits (financially speaking) might be more choosy. Likewise the woman in desperate financial trouble may decide that she'd rather be evicted than sacrifice her principles. There's really no way of knowing.

When we're talking online artwork with no value being handed out based on an activity with no value it really makes no difference to anyone what happens. Armchair caching is armchair caching whether or not there's a bit of cheesy artwork awarded, and finding two caches one day and logging one on each of two days also makes no difference. I can't help thinking that people who judge relative worth based on arbitrary numbers that may or may not even be genuine will find themselves unhappy sooner or later regardless.

That said if you consider it a matter of personal integrity feel free to play the game however you choose.

On reflection I agree with you. Given the way geocaching has shifted from its original ideals to take people to interesting places that they'd want to revisit even without the attraction of a cache and become more and more about putting as many pointless caches as possible out there, it would be wonderful if all the lackeys can find is wet and mouldy film pots buried in trash behind junction boxes, nanos stuck to 100-yard-long guard rails covered in brambles, and broken takeaway containers that could have contained a decent amount of swag but instead contain nothing more than a few broken toys and a soaked log sheet.

Has anybody tried:

1. Log an August find online as July 31.

2. Immediately change the log's date to the correct one in August.

The trouble with experimenting is, if it turns out you still get the souvenir, it's indelible.

I logged my own cache for July 31.

I changed the date to August 5th.

I deleted my log.

I now have the August 5th souvenir.

Cool, so only one cache find is needed to claim all 31 souvenirs, if it's accidentally logged on all 31 days in succession.

Just to add my two cents and to get started interacting in the forum :)

I am a "newbie" cacher. I've cached for a couple years but recently gotten more into it. Its a great hobby and a good excuse to get out in the middle of the woods.

I am actually trying for the August collection and not because I just want to have more souvenirs. Its more of a self discipline thing. I can look and see that even with my busy schedule I was able to complete something like this. Its small and silly but a nice feeling.

Right now is a hard time for me at home with my Mom recently being diagnosed with cancer. Its a welcome relief for the whole family to get out and about and do something outdoors and together before she undergoes surgery/chemo/radiation. Seeing that we made all the august caches will be a good reminder of what we came through. I know I'm putting a lot of importance in this, and that is the point. A souvenir is only as important as the memory attached and importance that you feel it has. I LOVE my Kentucky souvenir because it was a fun story involving a car ferry across the Ohio river and my Fiance saving me from a spider, not because its another souvenir.

Just adding another story to the discussion. Plus I'd much rather have all of August on my souvenior page then random days that carry no meaning seperately.

>would you let someone sleep with your wife for a million dollars

I know some people would for zero $

if you give me a million $ you can sleep with me too :-)

I'll give you a million $ if you take my wife, just bear in mind my 3 kids come with her.

My annoyance to souvenirs is less than my annoyance at messing up my other stats by labeling everything July 31, so random annoying numbers it is!

Funny thing is I've gotten a perfect "streak" so far thanks to being on vacation, but that's probably going to end today now that I'm back in the office. I don't have a car, so going arbitrarily to location X just doesn't happen as much as it would if I had that kind of mobility over a wider range.

I will say though how I find it interesting how in Amsterdam (at least) about a dozen event caches have been posted about the city for flash mobs on random days for those trying to get the souvenirs. I'm probably going to hit a few up cause they're conveniently after work so why not, but I find it interesting that groups in several cities have found this "solution" to getting all the souvenirs instead of just going for physical caches!

I will say though how I find it interesting how in Amsterdam (at least) about a dozen event caches have been posted about the city for flash mobs on random days for those trying to get the souvenirs. I'm probably going to hit a few up cause they're conveniently after work so why not, but I find it interesting that groups in several cities have found this "solution" to getting all the souvenirs instead of just going for physical caches!

I'm going for a physical cache every day. I consider an event a bonus, not a means of getting a souvenir. I might go to a morning event later in the month, but I'll certainly be doing some caching afterwards.

I don't care that much about the souvenirs but I never had a 31 day streak so I guess this is a good excuse. It is fun to try getting a cache a day. Also, July was too hot to do much caching. I may quit though, don't want to 'use up' all the local caches.

What about hiding caches in August? Seems a hide ought to count as well.

I'm going for a physical cache every day. I consider an event a bonus, not a means of getting a souvenir. I might go to a morning event later in the month, but I'll certainly be doing some caching afterwards.

The local caching group (Atlanta Area Geocachers) are running snapshot 'flash mob' events almost every day this month...picking a different landmark around town for folks to pose for a group photo. Cool idea, actually...I may go to some of them.

I'm going to cache only on the LOST # days with a dyslexic 42.

My souvenir page will then have 4 8 15 16 23 24

This was my best way to still cache but not end up with a more than a doubling of my souvenir list in one month.

I call it my 'LOST Streak'.

Hurley would freak out - "Don't use the numbers man!!"

I'd like to answer just those two questions. I was motivated to take some extra effort to find a cache on 12/12/12, 10/10/10, Leap Day, etc because they were unique. They were not something that happened every day. Now that they are giving a souvenir for something that happens every day, I feel that it cheapens the entire idea of souvenirs.

It's a great psychological study to try to determine at what point an individual will abandon their integrity. The whole, would you let someone sleep with your wife for a million dollars thing. I would guess that anyone that would abandon their integrity to get an image on their profile that rightly belongs on the refrigerator of the parents of a three year old, probably didn't have any integrity to speak of to begin with.

I don't see online souvenirs that have no value as being a matter of personal integrity at all.

The whole issue of "would you sleep with me for $1m/$100k/$10k/$1k/$100/$10/$1?" doesn't really work because it's based on a payment relative to a person's situation in order to do something they may or may not have been willing to do anyway. So I suspect if, say, Brad Pitt were to ask a selection of women to sleep with him in exchange for $10 he'd get more takers than if you or I were to offer $1000, likewise a woman struggling to put food on the table and avoid eviction because she couldn't pay her rent might jump at the chance to make an easy $100 while someone in less dire straits (financially speaking) might be more choosy. Likewise the woman in desperate financial trouble may decide that she'd rather be evicted than sacrifice her principles. There's really no way of knowing.

When we're talking online artwork with no value being handed out based on an activity with no value it really makes no difference to anyone what happens. Armchair caching is armchair caching whether or not there's a bit of cheesy artwork awarded, and finding two caches one day and logging one on each of two days also makes no difference. I can't help thinking that people who judge relative worth based on arbitrary numbers that may or may not even be genuine will find themselves unhappy sooner or later regardless.

That said if you consider it a matter of personal integrity feel free to play the game however you choose.

So, let me see if I have this straight. You contend that if one cheats to obtain something that has no value, he hasn't really cheated?

If so, it helps me understand a bunch of your prior posts on a number of different subjects.

I'm finding this whole thing amusing. I feel that people keep missing the fact that this game is only as good as the people that play it and hide caches.

What exactly are the Lackeys and Groundspeak suppose to do about "crappy" caches?

Perhaps we need more guidelines?

Maybe only containers purchased from the Geocaching Shop should be allowed. The site can verify this by a QR code or something. dry.gif

Or maybe each cache placed needs to be reviewed by two reviewers to ensure quality?

I'm also amused at how many people are actually playing along with this 31 day streak thing. I initially thought the majority was against this, but I've seen many people change their FB cover pages, tag picture on Instagram, or make comments in their found logs. At least more than I thought would participate.

Anyway, FWIW, I don't even know if I can find my souvenir page. So, that's not motivating me to find a cache for 31 days in August. I just think the concept is fun. I will probably stop the first day it rains (which it looks like tomorrow is a rainy day here in Central Jersey), but otherwise, I have a lot of potential caches to choose from.

Maybe Groundspeak did hit onto something fun and good for the game here. Who knows, but it seems like they've finally figured out who their paying customers are.:unsure:

So, let me see if I have this straight. You contend that if one cheats to obtain something that has no value, he hasn't really cheated?

If so, it helps me understand a bunch of your prior posts on a number of different subjects.

I'm not saying he hasn't cheated, I'm saying it makes no difference whether someone cheats or not because the object on offer has no value and nobody loses out by someone cheating.

It's like my view towards caches up trees compared to caches behind signs. If I can see the cache behind a sign but find my fingers are too fat to get at it, I may still log a find because I clearly found the cache, just like I regard it as a find if I open the cache but don't have a pen with me so can't sign the log. Personally I think it's being a bit obsessive to insist that a cacher makes a repeat visit with a pen that works in order to claim the find (this is where people usually line up to ask why I wouldn't take a pen when caching, ignoring the idea that I don't always plan caching trips and sometimes get to a cache to realise I left my pencil in the previous cache, or dropped it somewhere in the last several miles, or find my pen won't write on the log, or some other reason). If the cache is up a tree and rated accordingly the intention is obviously that you have to climb the tree, so if I sight the cache from the ground I'll write a note to confirm it's visibly there but I decided not to climb the tree (I'm too fat to be climbing trees). If I decided that sighting it from the ground was enough and claimed a find on that basis I haven't taken anything away from the people who did climb the tree because they still got the experience of climbing the tree.

I'm going to cache only on the LOST # days with a dyslexic 42.

My souvenir page will then have 4 8 15 16 23 24

This was my best way to still cache but not end up with a more than a doubling of my souvenir list in one month.

I call it my 'LOST Streak'.

Hurley would freak out - "Don't use the numbers man!!"

I've been toying with the idea of using the souvenirs as the basis for a puzzle cache. Not sure how it's going to work out just yet (or indeed whether it will work out) but it could be an interesting twist on the theme.

I found a cache the other night around midnight. Not sure exactly what time it was, so I put it on a day that I needed a souvenir.

Is that cheating? :P

Depends how close to midnight it was, whether you really knew what time it was or conveniently "forgot" to look at your watch, and of course the value you place on a souvenir. Personally I wouldn't care less although it seems others might disagree with me :ph34r:

We have been finding caches every day this month to collect the souvenirs. Everybody plays different, as long as its still within the rules. Some people will still find something to complain about. The point is, everyone is not built the same.

One note about the souvenirs, it is kinda cool to see what the little picture will be that comes each day. I wonder if they'll have a lamp post souvenir...

We have been finding caches every day this month to collect the souvenirs. Everybody plays different, as long as its still within the rules. Some people will still find something to complain about. The point is, everyone is not built the same.

One note about the souvenirs, it is kinda cool to see what the little picture will be that comes each day. I wonder if they'll have a lamp post souvenir...

So you recognize that there are caches that want to play the game different than you do, but if someone doesn't play the same was as you they are characterized as people that will complain about anything?

So you recognize that there are caches that want to play the game different than you do, but if someone doesn't play the same was as you they are characterized as people that will complain about anything?

I recognize that there are different people that cache and play the game different. Some find as many as they can. Some find caches in consecutive days. Some like souvenirs. Some only go to events. I don't care how anyone plays but myself and my kids. I'm not characterizing anyone that plays differently than I do as anything. I am just making a general statement that there are people that will find anything to complain about (micros in woods, lamp posts, guardrails, souvenirs, etc...). Some people will scour the geocaching web page to find flaws in someone else's game play.

I will cache with my family however we want to.

Have fun and Thanks For The Comment.

I just wish people stop finding my caches for this month. :ph34r: Yes, I been seeing a jump this month. :blink:

I've seen a jump too. Lots of senior citizens out in the blazing heat risking their lives for a bunch of silly souvenirs.

I just wish while they're at it, the retirees in our area would go looking for my parking lot cache which is supposedly missing. If this keeps up, I'll have to go check on it myself. :mad:

Not much surprise to what each will be, when the "artwork" for each day's souvenir was posted on the blog. You can even download the pdf of the calendar.

Post # 115 of this thread:

Again, I'll say that I LOVE the souvenirs...except these August 2013 ones.

I was planning on getting the one for the 15th, as that's our anniversary. However, after getting a look at the new ones for each day of August, I'm not interested in them at all.

I'm not interested in what looks like a kindergarten's art project:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2013/07/31-days-of-geocaching-printable-calendar/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=7-30-13

B.

Not much surprise to what each will be, when the "artwork" for each day's souvenir was posted on the blog. You can even download the pdf of the calendar.

I was planning on getting the one for the 15th, as that's our anniversary. However, after getting a look at the new ones for each day of August, I'm not interested in them at all.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2013/07/31-days-of-geocaching-printable-calendar/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=7-30-13

B.

:mmraspberry: Not too surprising that people who think nothing of criticizing the kinds of caches someone else likes or the fact that someone else has a different motivation to geocache, are now art critics.

d5bf3be1-ca6b-43cb-b8b0-e549108b1425.jpg

Edited by tozainamboku

:mmraspberry: Not too surprising that people who think nothing of criticizing the kinds of caches someone else likes or the fact that someone else has a different motivation to geocache, are now art critics.

This is so funny because in real life I am an art critic. BTW, did you get that masterpiece at the Starving Artist's Sale at the Ramada Inn?

I like the 31 days of caching. It's like a challenge to have a 31+ day streak. It made for a little bit of an interesting competition between me and a friend. I mean, I can see why some people would find it silly, but honestly. If you find souvenirs silly, simply don't look at them. I don't know why you let it ruin your day by complaining about it.

As of today I am in day 452 of what should hopefully be at least a 500 day streak to qualify for a local challenge.

No, I will not be taking August off from Geocaching.

The souvenirs are silly.

They have always been silly.

It is silly to take them so seriously.

Groundspeak have now provided proof of how silly they really are.

It would be silly to actually stop geocaching to avoid being 'awarded' a silly collection of pixels on your profile.

Challenges are silly.

They have always been silly

It is silly to take them so seriously.

The FTF game is silly.

It has always been silly.

It is silly to take it so seriously.

Power trails are silly...

Sorry, but you don't get to decide which aspects of this game are silly for me, or for anyone else but yourself.

This thread is not about all souvenirs. It is not about whether you or anyone else likes or dislikes souvenirs in general. It's about a specific set of souvenirs and to belittle those that attribute value to one kind of souvenir but not the specific set being discussed here (and in about 4-5 other threads) is offensive.

Games are silly. At least, good games are. That's the point.

Pity some folks take them so seriously.

http://blog.geocachi...ampaign=7-30-13

B.

Interesting that you posted a photo of a Thomas Kinkade painting. I have a Thomas Kindade print on my wall at home. However, it's not the typical "painter of light" style seen here, but it's of a street in a town where I used to live and features the marquee of an old movie theater I use to go to frequently when I was a kid. It's also signed by the artist. I wouldn't put one of Kinkade's "painter of light" prints on my wall, but the one I have has some sentimental value as it shows a place where I have many found memories. If someone started putting up velvet prints of dogs playing poker on my walls I'd want to be table to take them down.

Cache or don't. Souvenirs or not. I didn't even know about souvenirs until I stumbled upon them in my profile. If you cache for souvenirs, great, they prove nothing, I cache for fun. I am doing August to keep my July streak going.

Of course now that I'm on the subject. I was recently in Guatemala, no souvenir for finding cache in that country?

Edited by Butchf18a

Cache or don't. Souvenirs or not. I didn't even know about souvenirs until I stumbled upon them in my profile. If you cache for souvenirs, great, they prove nothing, I cache for fun. I am doing August to keep my July streak going.

Of course now that I'm on the subject. I was recently in Guatemala, no souvenir for finding cache in that country?

Some people like to keep a daily streak going for fun. Others like collecting souvenirs for states, countries, and events for fun. I'm heading to the airport in about an hour and will be in St. Louis later today and hope to find a cache or two in Missouri and collect a new state for me.

There are no souvenirs for Guatemala or any other central or south american country. I was told yesterday to start making plans for a trip to South Africa, Tanzania, and possibly Uganda. I already have the souvenir for South Africa and have a find in Tanzania but there isn't a souvenir available. I'm hoping to find a cache in Uganda (it would be a new country) but there isn't one for Uganda either.

I'm kind of put off from logging caches in August if I'm going to get a whole pile of "souvenirs" for simply finding a cache on a specific date. Is that really what's going to happen? Just glanced at my current box of souvenirs: they reflect a bunch of places I visited: provinces and states mostly. Travel takes time and effort, and is the stuff that memories are made of.

August 13 (to choose a random date) is not the stuff that memories are made of. I mean, unless something dramatic happened to you on that date. It's just a date. My cache log for an Aug 13 cache can serve as the souvenir.

Does anybody else think that flooding the souvenir page with date-souvenirs is totally watering down the whole concept?

Is anybody planning a break in August, or planning to log all of August as found in September?

I love the challenge and souvenirs. ... It adds to the FUN