Anybody taking August off?

Meaningless souvenirs for every day of August may yet be another reason why they mean nothing to many. Who wants just a few souvenirs for a few odd days in August anyhow? Either get the whole set, or have clutter. And the whole point of the entire set is what exactly? To change geocaching day of Aug 18 to geocaching month?

Was this introduced by the same person who rolled out Challenges? :D

Yup! Good point. 90% of the user base doesn't care and maybe 5% is actually adverse to this yet this is the big August Promotion for 2013? Challenges, the Block Party and now Souvenir clutter and promotion of mediocre caches. What do we have to look forward to next August? Most of us would prefer they addressed the existing problems ... or at least acknowledged them. They hope to "make better mistakes tomorrow" and we just hope tomorrow never comes. :anibad:

Meaningless souvenirs for every day of August may yet be another reason why they mean nothing to many. Who wants just a few souvenirs for a few odd days in August anyhow? Either get the whole set, or have clutter. And the whole point of the entire set is what exactly? To change geocaching day of Aug 18 to geocaching month?

Yup! Good point. 90% of the user base doesn't care and maybe 5% is actually adverse to this yet this is the big August Promotion for 2013? Challenges, the Block Party and now Souvenir clutter and promotion of mediocre caches. What do we have to look forward to next August? Most of us would prefer they addressed the existing problems ... or at least acknowledged them. They hope to "make better mistakes tomorrow" and we just hope tomorrow never comes. :anibad:

I can see one souvenir for people who found caches every day that month, but for other days is silly. There doesn't seen to be any history behind choosing that special date anyway. It would make more sense to make it May 3rd to commemorate the first hide.

The subject matter of this thread is not about souvenirs in general and whether or not one likes them. If that's what some people want to talk about they can create a "Do you Like Souvenirs?" thread. This thread, as well as the 4-5 other threads related to the subject, is about a specific set of souvenirs and whether or not some might change the geocaching behavior in August to avoid (and I suppose to acquire) them. If trying to stay on topic, and suggesting that others stay on topic as well puts me on a high horse, then so be it.

The subject matter of this thread is whether or not people plan to take August off (obstensibly to avoid getting the souvenirs).

It seems reasonable to expect the following replies:

1. I plan to take August off because I don't want the souvenirs
  2. I plan to cache or attend an event every day and get all 31.
  3. I don't care about souvenirs. They are not going effect whether or not I cache in August

By trying to limit participation in the threads to those who agree with your premise that some souvenirs are worthy and that others (particularly the August ones) are worthless, makes it appear that you are not really interested in discussing the issue and are just looking for reinforcement of your position. Refering to people who have a different opinion than you (as you did in one of the other threads) as [not] capable of making a distinction between those [souvenirs] they would like to see on their profile page and those they deem worthless, comes across as elitist.

True, some people do not make a distinction between souvenirs. That doesn't mean we don't accept that others may choose to do so. However, we can still point out that, as things go, souvenirs are still pretty trivial and not geocaching for a month to avoid having some worthless souvenirs mixed in with the ones you want on your souvenirs tab seems a bit jejune*.

* thought I would use a word that sounds elitist :).

This might work for me:

4.png Write note 13 Aug 13

Found blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

2.png Found it 31 Jul 13

Actually found on Aug 13. Don't want August souvenir, long story.

What about the cache owner? I would prefer to have the chronology and the statistics of my placed caches to be as accurate as possible. I'd hate to see that altered because someone feels the need to protest something that would take much less time and effort to simply ignore.

I also don't think that I would like to see someone pushing an agenda in their logs on my caches.

Base on the guideline, the CO cant delete those logs for wrong dates. That would be silly to do that in my opinion.

However, deleting an agenda log is in the gray line. (not that I am going to test it as a CO)

All in all, deleting logs only cause more problems that you dont need.

As a CO, I learned to have the CARELESS attitude about logs. As long its not extreme. Borderline, let it go. Its not worth it.

Where did I say in there that I would delete logs? I just said that I probably wouldn't like it.

No you didnt say anything about deleting, but base on your posts in the past, you are quick to the gun to say delete the logs over alot of little silly things.

You obviously have me mixed up with someone else. I have NEVER advocated deleting logs. There have been over 7000 logs posted to my caches and I have found it necessary to delete a total of ONE. I have written many posts in the past condemning those that take a either a carefree or control freak attitude towards deleting logs, and I think that "just delete the log" it the absolute worse advice that we can give to a new cacher. I have also advised that you can't delete a log just because you don't like it or it doesn't meet your personal logging standard, (TFTC).

My point was simply that if you want to play games with dates and such as some sort of protest over souvenirs, I'd rather you do it with someone elses caches as I like the history on my caches to be as accurate as possible. I was trying to make the point that it is not just between you and Groundspeak if you are using my game piece.

We've decided not to find any caches in August, except on International Geocaching Day.

I was hoping that my request in the Feature Discussions and Suggestions-forum(to make the souvenir page editable per souvenir) would be read by Groundspeak. But since there was no response I can only assume this won't happen, which means that we have no other option than to stop geocaching for a month.

Other suggestions like to log finds on a later date to avoid unwanted souvenirs we don't like, since our logs are also like a diary for us. But we like the souvenirs for the countries/states (just got a new one for our trip to Iceland last week!), and we don't want to see this page cluttered with (for us) meaningless souvenirs.

It's been a while since I mentioned this in any of the numerous threads on this topic so what the heck...

Either avoid August, or ignore August, or demonstrate how silly the new souvenirs are by finding dozens of caches and logging them all on different days to get all the souvenirs, indicating just how pointless the whole exercise is.

But not going out to find some caches is not the end of the world. In fact it gives some free time to work on our long non-geocaching related to do-list. And it is also a perfect time for reflection and experience what it would be like when we decide to stop geocaching completely. The hobby geocaching is changing, some things for the good, some definitely not, so we probably one day will decide to stop playing the game. As a geocacher you can decide what elements of the game you like and you can ignore the other ones. As CO it's less easy, for instance when you see logs change from real logs to just an abbreviation.

When the day will come that we'll completely stop, we don't know, since geocaching is something we can combine perfectly we our other main hobby: travelling and exploring other countries. But we managed finding the interesting locations in other countries also before we started geocaching. For a while geocaches helped us to make this easier, and we have lots of great memories because of geocaches we (not) found all around the world. But when the game changes, when it's more and more about quantity than quality, geocaches won't be our ideal travel guide in the future any more.

Like you I'm finding caching is a lot less fun than it used to be. I think largely because I found a few really good caches in places that took a lot of effort to get to, and then took a meaningful effort to find the cache. By comparison I just can't be bothered with film pots behind signs any more.

For now we're still "addicted" to geocaching, but in a positive way, so we can also stop geocaching for (almost) a month.

ps: for us it wouldn't have been a problem to find caches each day during August. There are lots of geocaches (we don't like) within short distance and next to this there are already many daily events planned to get the daily souvenir. So it wouldn't have been a challenge anyway. Not going out to find geocaches will be much more of a challenge!

Concentrate on a few goals (I aimed to fill my caching calendar and finally managed it last year), and along the way found the urge to rush out and find every new cache as soon as it appeared faded, as I needed to keep some local ones for the days I didn't have on the calendar. Over time keeping caches for later turned into a general disinclination to bother with them at all. My find rates have gone from 50-60 per month to more like 5-6 per month in the last several months.

The subject matter of this thread is not about souvenirs in general and whether or not one likes them. If that's what some people want to talk about they can create a "Do you Like Souvenirs?" thread. This thread, as well as the 4-5 other threads related to the subject, is about a specific set of souvenirs and whether or not some might change the geocaching behavior in August to avoid (and I suppose to acquire) them. If trying to stay on topic, and suggesting that others stay on topic as well puts me on a high horse, then so be it.

The subject matter of this thread is whether or not people plan to take August off (obstensibly to avoid getting the souvenirs).

3. I don't care about souvenirs. They are not going effect whether or not I cache in August

Why did you omit the 4th, and one of the more common replies:

4. I don't plan on taking August off because there are regional or event based souvenirs (i.e. the APE cache event) that I want but I don't want a souvenir for each day in August that I happen to find a cache.

I agree that #3 is to be expected, but I don't think that the OPs intent was to find out how people felt about souvenirs in general.

By trying to limit participation in the threads to those who agree with your premise that some souvenirs are worthy and that others (particularly the August ones) are worthless, makes it appear that you are not really interested in discussing the issue and are just looking for reinforcement of your position. Refering to people who have a different opinion than you (as you did in one of the other threads) as [not] capable of making a distinction between those [souvenirs] they would like to see on their profile page and those they deem worthless, comes across as elitist.

Seriously? I've probably been discussing the issue more than anyone and have always been interested in having an objective, rational discussion about any geocaching related issue discussed in the forums. I think my record will speak for itself in showing that I've been willing to understand viewpoints that oppose my own no matter what the topic.

Perhaps I could have phrased my comment different in regards to making a distinction between different souvenir type such that appeared less elitist but I certainly don't think being a little elitist is any worse than implying that those that just want to keep a certain type of souvenir out of their profile are spoiled brats (as you did).

True, some people do not make a distinction between souvenirs. That doesn't mean we don't accept that others may choose to do so. However, we can still point out that, as things go, souvenirs are still pretty trivial and not geocaching for a month to avoid having some worthless souvenirs mixed in with the ones you want on your souvenirs tab seems a bit jejune*.

* thought I would use a word that sounds elitist :).

You can point out all you want that souvenirs are trivial to you. However, you don't get to decide if souvenirs in general, or a specific type of souvenir is trivial for anyone else.

I said that the ungrateful grandchild in an analogy was a brat. Apparently the analogy was a good one as you take it as saying that people who are disatisfied with the options that Groundspeak gives them are brats.

It happens that I don't think asking Groundspeak for options is bratty. I may believe Groundspeak shouldn't be providing options to everything someone asks for, and I may give my opinion in response to some suggestion in forum. When the people asking for options say that because I don't think this is important I shouldn't be posting, I do have a problem.

I do understand that you like getting some souvenirs and don't care to get others. But I have yet to see how your enjoyment of the souvenirs you like getting is diminished by unwanted souvenirs. Yes, they clutter up the souvenir tab. But really, how hard is is to ignore the ones you don't care for. You can skip right past them when reminiscing about all those trips you've taken.

My guess is that it won't be in next August, it will be in next July. Many cachers are NOT finding caches in July so they will have caches to find for August. This will mean statistically low numbers for July. If they run a big promotion next July, they can show their advertisers how much geocaching has grown in a single year by comparing July to July.

Travel takes time and effort, and is the stuff that memories are made of.

To me it's going to take time and effort to pull off a longer streak. I'm fairly newer to the hobby and for me it will be more of a challenge. Plus, I'm throwing in a week long vacation into the middle of it so I have to plan accordingly there.

4. I do care about some souvenirs, but definitely not the August variety. This will not affect my caching routine in August.

My General August Souvenir Opinion

Sorry for not staying within the designated response parameters.

Yes, it will change my behavior ... I am looking forward to the challenge of caching every day in August.

I seldom look at the souvenirs, but I know they are there. I'll probably glance at them a few times in August.

It would be nice if we could rearrange/show/hide them the way we want, but it still is not really a big deal.

Get out, have fun, quit worrying so much about your profile and go find some caches!

Again, I'll say that I LOVE the souvenirs...except these August 2013 ones.

I was planning on getting the one for the 15th, as that's our anniversary. However, after getting a look at the new ones for each day of August, I'm not interested in them at all.

I'm not interested in what looks like a kindergarten's art project:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2013/07/31-days-of-geocaching-printable-calendar/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=7-30-13

Still going for the one for International Geocaching Day, but that's about it.

Very disappointed. :(

B.

I was planning on getting the one for the 15th, as that's our anniversary. However, after getting a look at the new ones for each day of August, I'm not interested in them at all.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2013/07/31-days-of-geocaching-printable-calendar/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=7-30-13

B.

This is a very important project that every Lackey will be participating in. They all will be donning bright orange headbands and going out and locating geocaches. This is NOT something to be taken lightly.

31_in_31_HQ_team-001.jpg

Nothing says we mean business more than an orange sweatband.

The entire month of August is holy and sacrosanct for geocaching. Everyone will be expected to make sacrifices in order to find a geocache on every day of the month.

Personally, I will be fasting during the day and only eating a light meal after sunset every day of the month to keep myself in top shape for this event, as well as methodically circling around every geocache 7 times before finding it. I also will be teaming up with a group of other cachers and going around to people's houses singing geocaching tunes, as well as mailing geocaching greeting cards to all my friends and relatives. On the sacred day of August 17th, I will be dressing up as Dave Ulmer and dropping full ammo cans under large evergreens everywhere. It will be a happy day!

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

To answer your question, I plan on trying to cache all 31 days in August.

But I've seen similar concern in other posts about these aaugust souvenirs. The idea I've been wanting to share with Geocaching.com is the ability to sort or catagorize one's souvenirs to their own choosing. That way a person could keep their favorites or their prized ones on top, and others in a sub folder (or some other organized fashion). That way, the people that like collecting all/any souvenir can go for it. And for those who only want to collect country souvenirs (or whatever) can do so without feeling "cluttered".

My guess is that it won't be in next August, it will be in next July. Many cachers are NOT finding caches in July so they will have caches to find for August. This will mean statistically low numbers for July. If they run a big promotion next July, they can show their advertisers how much geocaching has grown in a single year by comparing July to July.

Tsk tsk. Yep. I know what gs is doing. They are tricking us to boot thier numbers since the game itself is dying off. Its a no brainer if anyone took marketing classes. Jeremy knows the long term of geocaching is short term and he's using different marketing ploys to make him more money. I questions some of his methods since they are in gray line.

B.

This is a very important project that every Lackey will be participating in. They all will be donning bright orange headbands and going out and locating geocaches. This is NOT something to be taken lightly.

31_in_31_HQ_team-001.jpg

The entire month of August is holy and sacrosanct for geocaching. Everyone will be expected to make sacrifices in order to find a geocache on every day of the month.

Personally, I will be fasting during the day and only eating a light meal after sunset every day of the month to keep myself in top shape for this event, as well as methodically circling around every geocache 7 times before finding it. I also will be teaming up with a group of other cachers and going around to people's houses singing geocaching tunes, as well as mailing geocaching greeting cards to all my friends and relatives. On the sacred day of August 17th, I will be dressing up as Dave Ulmer and dropping full ammo cans under large evergreens everywhere. It will be a happy day!

I'll be wearing a bright orange jockstrap (and little else).

Look for it! B)

http://blog.geocachi...ampaign=7-30-13

B.

31_in_31_HQ_team-001.jpg

I'll be wearing a bright orange jockstrap (and little else).

Look for it! B)

And now we have yet another reason to stop geocaching in August.

Tsk tsk. Yep. I know what gs is doing. They are tricking us to boot thier numbers since the game itself is dying off. Its a no brainer if anyone took marketing classes. Jeremy knows the long term of geocaching is short term and he's using different marketing ploys to make him more money. I questions some of his methods since they are in gray line.

You should be grateful. It looks like Aug 21st is SwineFlew day.

So now it's August, hmm... What should I do? Well, I could start by catching up on my online logs from last month. I could plan my adventures for September. I could re-visit some of my own hides and see if they need maintenance. And hmm, what about the rest... I know!

2.png Found it 31 Jul 2016

Found again blah blah blah blah blah. (Not a double-find; previous was a note.) blah blah blah blah blah Darn, hit the 140 limit

[time passes]

4.png Write note 13 Aug 2013

Found blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Just checked someone's souvenir page.

Since they are named "31 Days of Geocaching 01 of 31" ......

And since souvenirs are listed alphabetically these ugly things will be listed first.. UGGGHHHH

Its going to be a mess. I am taking a month off becuase I dont want to make my souvenir page looking like a pig pen.

Edited by SwineFlew

Just checked someone's souvenir page.

Since they are named "31 Days of Geocaching 01 of 31" ......

And since souvenirs are listed alphabetically these ugly things will be listed first.. UGGGHHHH

Its going to be a mess. I am taking a month off becuase I dont want to make my souvenir page looking like a pig pen.

I'm going to be in Missouri in a week and half from now, then in West Virginia and Tennessee the last week in August. I've not yet found caches in those states and want to add them to my souvenir page, but don't want the August souvenirs.

BTW, there are some in Australia that have been awarded the August 1st and August 2nd souvenirs. It looks like although the thumbnail for the first two days is different the artwork on the full souvenir page is identical. Additionally, all souvenir pages have an "Additional Information". For the souvenirs for States, regions, and countries it has a little blurb about the location

"Congratulations! You played a big part in a grand geocaching adventure. 31 Days of Geocaching celebrated the spirit of geocaching during the entire month of August. Geocachers collected souvenirs for each day they logged a “Found it” or an “Attended” during the month. The calendar-style collectibles showcase the wildlife, scenery and tools that empower geocachers as they explore the outdoors."

As each day has some sort of icon (in the thumbnail) that represents geocaching (an ammo can, a palm tree ???, etc.) They *could* have included something distinct on each page, perhaps explaining the significance of each of those icons or something else unique about each day.:

It's seems to me that GS has been spending a *lot* of time promoting the 31 Days in August souvenirs but the deliverable leaves a lot to be desired, even for those that *want* these souvenirs.

"Congratulations! You played a big part in a grand geocaching adventure. 31 Days of Geocaching celebrated the spirit of geocaching during the entire month of August. Geocachers collected souvenirs for each day they logged a “Found it” or an “Attended” during the month. The calendar-style collectibles showcase the wildlife, scenery and tools that empower geocachers as they explore the outdoors."

This is NOT the 'spirit of geocaching'. Jeremy sold the spirit years ago. He no longer even has the spirit to come here and debate these fantastically better mistakes.

This is day ONE of my August Souvenirs Suck strike. Only 30 more to go. Thanks Jeremy.

This is NOT the 'spirit of geocaching'. Jeremy sold the spirit years ago. He no longer even has the spirit to come here and debate these fantastically better mistakes.

This is day ONE of my August Souvenirs Suck strike. Only 30 more to go. Thanks Jeremy.

You do realize that chronic negativity will shorten your lifespan?

Perhaps instead we should all hold hands and give thanks for everything *good* about this hobby. :)

BTW, there are some in Australia that have been awarded the August 1st and August 2nd souvenirs. It looks like although the thumbnail for the first two days is different the artwork on the full souvenir page is identical.

Not quite true. The Aug. 1 full souvenir page has a "1/31" in the bottom-right corner, while the Aug. 2 page has a "2/31" in the bottom-right corner.

I'm looking for the blog where they explained how to write a good log, can anybody please post a link?

Certainly hope the lackeys will post nice logs with their August challenge finds. Logs that are an example and show how you're supposed to log a cache find. Using at least as many words as were used to advertise this "challenge". I hope for enthusiastic, exciting logs, great cache adventure stories and no copy paste logs and nothing like "I found it with my lackey friends" without even a thank you to the CO. And of course when the log paper is full, you'll have to find another cache to write your name on, write a maintance note and come back another time...

Today I didn't find a cache, but I did help to fulfill a trackable's mission by having a BBQ, that was real fun!

B.

31_in_31_HQ_team-001.jpg

I decided to mix and match geocaching traditions to get some practise in. I get tired of finding yet another cache is a film pot behind a sign so decided to populate the few areas that aren't already rammed with caches with some ammo cans. In keeping with the tradition of driving an SUV along the road and throwing a film pot out of the window every 528 feet I decided to do the same with a collection of ammo cans.

Unfortunately in a busy suburban area this wasn't such a good idea. Now I not only have to retrieve my ammo cans but also find a glazier to placate half a dozen angry homeowners who didn't want an unannounced ammo can in a pile of broken glass in their living room.

This would never have happened with film pots.

BTW, there are some in Australia that have been awarded the August 1st and August 2nd souvenirs. It looks like although the thumbnail for the first two days is different the artwork on the full souvenir page is identical.

Not quite true. The Aug. 1 full souvenir page has a "1/31" in the bottom-right corner, while the Aug. 2 page has a "2/31" in the bottom-right corner.

Maybe "1/31" means they aren't going to repeat this ridiculous idea in the future.

If it said "1/8/13" I'd have been worried. We might then have looked forward to souvenirs for every single day of geocaching on an ongoing basis.

Maybe "1/31" means they aren't going to repeat this ridiculous idea in the future.

If it said "1/8/13" I'd have been worried. We might then have looked forward to souvenirs for every single day of geocaching on an ongoing basis.

Or 8/1/13 for those that live outside the U.S.

Over on the blog site, there are several blog posts related to the August souvenirs. Quite a few of the comments are from people that either have active streaks going (some with hundreds of days in a row) that just plan on extending the streak through August or some that are going to try and do a month long streak in August. There's even a post about the Groundspeak lackeys taking on a challenge to find a cache everyday in August (I'd be more impressed if they took on that challenge at location that had a cache density far less than in Seattle). But the August souvenirs are not award for finding a cache every day in August. Someone that isn't able to maintain a streak the entire month might end up getting 29 nearly identical souvenirs instead of 31 nearly identical souvenirs.

I have to wonder if awarding just 1 souvenir for finding a cache every day in August might actually get people out more than awarding one for every day that one finds a cache. If a geocacher knows they won't get the souvenir unless the go out every day they might be more motivated not to miss a day. The one a day souvenirs doesn't really motivated someone to go out every day unless that want the complete set.

You're right. I don't know how I missed that. rolleyes.gif

So, I put

geocaching.com###ctl00_ContentBody_ProfilePanel1_lnkSouvenirs

into Ad Block +. No more souvenirs. They are now totally irrelevant.

This is what everyone's profile now looks like, at least in my browser.

18838d0f-2bee-47be-b283-7c79a797d7a4.jpg?rnd=0.6326672

I suggested ABP in another thread. Now, can you show a ABP filter that will just get rid of the 31 days in August souvenirs but let me see all the other souvenirs I've previously acquired?

You do realize that chronic negativity will shorten your lifespan?

Perhaps instead we should all hold hands and give thanks for everything *good* about this hobby. :)

Should we sing Ommmmmm or Kumbaya while we do this? Just curious.