Engagement arrangement

Dr. Boggis

Just thought I'd share the way I proposed to my girlfriend (now fiancée) over the weekend.

She gave me an eTrex for Christmas, and since then I have really got into geocaching - to the point that she thinks I'm completely obsessed icon_rolleyes.gif

This gave me a great idea about how to surprise her with a marriage proposal. I bought a ring, put it in a jar, and hid it under a bush in the park at the top of the hill, where we often go for a walk (near Coast PB Jar, GC5A1). On Saturday I casually suggested we go up to the park, and when I mentioned that there was a new cache up there and we might be the first to find it, she sighed. I said that I wanted *her* to find it, and she just said "whatever...". So off we trot, and when we get about 500ft away I give her the GPSr and she starts following the direction arrow. By this point I've already fended off questions about how I knew about the cache (I get the notification email on Thursdays), why I didn't go with another friend earlier in the day (he wanted to go to La Jolla to see the seals), and why I had to drag her along (to get her interested).

So we start looking for the cache, and the waypoint I took is looking like it's pointing about 20 feet in the wrong direction, and so I subtly point her at the correct bush and suggest she rummages under there somewhere. Eventually she finds the jar, opens it and sees the jewelry box, opens that and finds the ring, and turns around to see me down on one knee! She was so surprised she nearly forgot to say yes! icon_wink.gif

I think I'll turn the hiding place into a real cache to commemorate the event, but I won't be starting it off with any diamond rings icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jane8276:

Congratulations!

Good thing Mark71Mark did'nt beat you to the cache! I'm certain he can find caches that are not posted!

Yep, it seems that way sometimes!

It was fairly well hidden, and since I put it up there on Thursday afternoon when it was raining/foggy, there wasn't really any chance of anyone seeing where I put it. Unfortunately I was hoping that when the clouds cleared there would be a nice view of the bay, but we couldn't really see much at the time of the event (sunset on Saturday).

I made my waypoint seem like a cache on the eTrex by renaming it GCWYMM (will you marry me?), which kept her fooled too - she wondered how I could be sure nobody else would find it before her!

I proposed this weekend while geocaching as well. I used Garmins software to plot Marry Me in giant letters and saved the points to the GPS. I created a fake cache page listing all of the points and a set of clues. I took along 3 friends that wanted to learn how to geocache and let them do a cache first. Then we gave her the GPS and told her to work this one. It took her about 15 minutes to complete it. I planted a microcache at the last set of coordinates under a picnic table that had a piece of paper in it saying "zoom out on the GPS". I had turned on the track log so it spelled out the "Marry Me" on the screen. By the time she figured out what it said, I was beside her on a knee holding the ring. :D

Everyone loves the way I did it so I am happy. I may go and plant a real cache at the site as a memorial.

Doc

I proposed this weekend while geocaching as well. I used Garmins software to plot Marry Me in giant letters and saved the points to the GPS. I created a fake cache page listing all of the points and a set of clues. I took along 3 friends that wanted to learn how to geocache and let them do a cache first. Then we gave her the GPS and told her to work this one. It took her about 15 minutes to complete it. I planted a microcache at the last set of coordinates under a picnic table that had a piece of paper in it saying "zoom out on the GPS". I had turned on the track log so it spelled out the "Marry Me" on the screen. By the time she figured out what it said, I was beside her on a knee holding the ring. :rolleyes:

Everyone loves the way I did it so I am happy. I may go and plant a real cache at the site as a memorial.

Doc

Docwalker,

Very cool! I really liked that one!

iTrax

Congratulations! Love is in the air . . .

How cool is this?

How sweet it is to have the bestest caching partner ever and have him become my life partner and stuff.

I am THE happiest girl in the world! I hope to make him as happy as he has made me!! :ph34r:

Happy caching and stuff!