Logging by Non-geocachers

Guest BigFig

Guest BigFig

I just did a recon on a cache I had reports of being looted. The cache was looted, but I was really suprised to find about 15 log entries - all but 3 were from non-geocachers. The cache was indeed looted, but the log entries were a real treasure. Some were really funny - like:

"I just brought my girlfriend up here to *&^% and found this"

"me and my buddy found this and thought it was a bomb, but we were pretty high so ..."

And, although everything I placed in the cache was gone (including the dadgum camera), everybody tried to find something to leave - library cards, bits of broken glass, etc.

I just left in in place to see who else stumbled by. What scares me is that many of my caches have explicit enough encrypted directions for someone to find with just a topo map.

Has anyone else had non-geocachers log their books??

------------------

Guest makaio

Definitely, although none left as interesting logs as you described icon_smile.gif Mine have been mostly found by geocachers, but that's probably due to how well I hide them. The non-geocacher entries I have seen wee typically to the effect of "stumbled accross this - pretty cool", etc. One disappeared completely (log book and all), but I believe it was due to a local cleanup effort and whomever found it assumed it was garbage (it was in a large tin can with a plastic top and looked like garbage).

Guest makaio

Definitely, although none left as interesting logs as you described icon_smile.gif Mine have been mostly found by geocachers, but that's probably due to how well I hide them. The non-geocacher entries I have seen wee typically to the effect of "stumbled accross this - pretty cool", etc. One disappeared completely (log book and all), but I believe it was due to a local cleanup effort and whomever found it assumed it was garbage (it was in a large tin can with a plastic top and looked like garbage).

Guest EraSeek

Yup! I just checked on one of my easier ones and it has had way too many accidental finds. As a result it has been pretty trashed. All that is in it now is a pair of surgical gloves, bits of a cigarette, and some hand moistener packets. Everyone seemed to enjoy finding it, but many of the entries were like yours. It is now digusting inside. I'm archiving it tonight. Too easy to find = a short lived cache.

Guest AZMark

One of mine was found by Aliens. I know this seems hard to believe but I read the log and that is exactly what they claimed to be.

Keeping the cache off the trail, not on top of the Mt., hidden in a spot most wouldn't look but is obvious for a Geocacher, helps avoid the un warrented find. Although these tend to be the most creative log entries.

Guest Vargaus

I found a cache that had a couple of non-geocacher entries in it. When looking over the area, if you had to go, it looked like the perfect place to take a leak. I think that's the reason non-geochers stumbled upon it. The entries were by respectable people and they left some decent goodies too. You just never know when you hide a cache.

Guest jeremy

Someone left a full roll of toilet paper in one cache I found. They felt bad that they didn't have anything so they left the toilet paper after, um, doing their thing (deeper in the woods I assume).

Jeremy

Guest EraSeek

You know, I've had some positive responses from accidental finders, some said they were inspired to take up caching. That's a good thing. But even though a drunk and some drugged out kids made positive responses in their warped way it convinced me that the negatives outweigh the positives, and from now on I will do my utmost to prevent accidental finds.

Guest PneumaticDeath

The first cache I helped to hide was trashed within 2 days, but it was in town. I don't know who did it, but the sheer destructiveness makes me think of teenagers. icon_frown.gif

The second cache was in a spot that is relatively well traveled, but I thought well hidden. The first geocacher found with within a day, but somebody else had already found it. Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to go check it regularly, but next time I'm in the area, I'll definately check the log book for unusual entries, if it's still there.

-- Mitch

Guest PneumaticDeath

The first cache I helped to hide was trashed within 2 days, but it was in town. I don't know who did it, but the sheer destructiveness makes me think of teenagers. icon_frown.gif

The second cache was in a spot that is relatively well traveled, but I thought well hidden. The first geocacher found with within a day, but somebody else had already found it. Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to go check it regularly, but next time I'm in the area, I'll definately check the log book for unusual entries, if it's still there.

-- Mitch