What am I missing here?

acachebox

Pocket Queries

I am trying to set up a pocket queries for a 100 mile radius from my home. If I select any type cache, Ter and Dif equal to or less than 3.5, I get a result of 500. I know there are far more than that in that area. If I add "Owned by Me" the number drops to 3, the number I own. What happened to the other 500? I though PQs could include thousands.

To get ALL caches, DON'T select the boxes!

Make sure the PQ is set to 1,000 (I think it defaults to 500 to start with -Caches Total)

Then start selecting, easiest box to tick is I haven't found which will remove your Found caches.

TIP.

Don't select Day To Run, run the PQ and see if you get the results you expect, THEN select Edit and select Day To Run to get the PQ.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

You may type 1,000 max into the box. I usually set it to caches not found by me and maybe adjust the terrain to what I feel like doing that particular day. 500 is the default to have them emailed to you, any after 500 and you have to download the PQ from the site. You could also try running GSAK and downloading up to I think 8,000 caches and you further filter them from there. There are many possibilities you could do and ways to mix it up to get exactly what you're looking for.

You may type 1,000 max into the box. I usually set it to caches not found by me and maybe adjust the terrain to what I feel like doing that particular day. 500 is the default to have them emailed to you, any after 500 and you have to download the PQ from the site. You could also try running GSAK and downloading up to I think 8,000 caches and you further filter them from there. There are many possibilities you could do and ways to mix it up to get exactly what you're looking for.

When I created this current PQ I also added MY finds. It looks like it made that portion available right away and the greater PQ has not run yet because I selected Tuesday. Is there a way to get rid of MY Finds as it is completely covering the map?

When I created this current PQ I also added MY finds. It looks like it made that portion available right away and the greater PQ has not run yet because I selected Tuesday. Is there a way to get rid of MY Finds as it is completely covering the map?

Answer in post #2

And...

Don't run the specific My Finds PQ

Answer in post #2

And...

Don't run the specific My Finds PQ

There does not seam to be a way to STOP MY FINDS once selected. That is my question. How do I stop it from running. Do PQs stop at at State line? I am less than 12 miles from Pa but get No Caches in Pa. when requesting a radius of 50 miles. In Post #2 you say THEN select Edit and select Day To Run to get the PQ.. Where is this Edit function? I do not see it when I open the PQ description page.

Edited by acachebox

http://markwell.us/pq.htm -well worth a read.

In the PQ page, you only need to check three boxes in the That (And) box:

I haven't found

I don't own

and maybe Is Enabled

If I run a PQ centered on your most recent placed cache I get 1,000 caches...

(Which is the maximum a PQ will generate.

You are selecting somewhere (Home/Coordinates/cache GC number) in the From Origin box?

The Submit Information button on the PQ page is the only one you need to press to run the PQ

Edited by Bear and Ragged

http://markwell.us/pq.htm -well worth a read.

In the PQ page, you only need to check three boxes in the That (And) box:

I haven't found

I don't own

and maybe Is Enabled

If I run a PQ centered on your most recent placed cache I get 1,000 caches...

(Which is the maximum a PQ will generate.

You are selecting somewhere (Home/Coordinates/cache GC number) in the From Origin box?

The Submit Information button on the PQ page is the only one you need to press to run the PQ

I think I have to get rid of those My Finds before I can attempt anything else. Can this be done?

Attempting to break-down the wall of confusion here:

Pocket Query parameters include a selection noted as: (caches) "I Have Found". It does not have a parameter as: "My Finds".

I know, it is a matter of semantics, but there is a type of query known as a My Finds Query. It is distinctly different, totally separate and unrelated to a regular PQ. Using the two phrases interchangeably can only create confusion.

If you happen to be activating the button that says [Add to Queue], that is the button to run a My Finds Query (only). You should not activate that button UNLESS you have a particular reason to receive all of your found caches -- usually for compilation using a stats program. It does not and cannot run automatically -- you must activate that button to run it.

Only on very rare occasions would one run a My Finds Query to download to a GPSr. At that, only a select few people would ever use if for that reason, either.

If you do not want your Found caches included in a Pocket Query, do not check the box next to "I Have Found".

This is probably the reason that you keep receiving those Found caches, because it is checked.

If you want all of the caches you have found (this includes archived caches as well as those Finds anywhere in the world -- something a PQ does not include), then use the [Add to Queue] (the My Finds Query) button. You will notice that there is no selection process, there are no parameters to check. It runs immediately upon activation. If you desire a regular Pocket Query (for loading and hunting caches), stay away from that button.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Pocket Query parameters include a selection noted as: (caches) "I Have Found". It does not have a parameter as: "My Finds".

I know, it is a matter of semantics, but there is a type of query known as a My Finds Query. It is distinctly different, totally separate and unrelated to a regular PQ. Using the two phrases interchangeably can only create confusion.

If you happen to be activating the button that says [Add to Queue], that is the button to run a My Finds Query (only). You should not activate that button UNLESS you have a particular reason to receive all of your found caches -- usually for compilation using a stats program. It does not and cannot run automatically -- you must activate that button to run it.

If you do not want your Found caches included in a Pocket Query, do not check the box next to "I Have Found".

If you want all of the caches you have found (this includes archived caches as well as those Finds anywhere in the world -- something a PQ does not include), then use the [Add to Queue] (the My Finds Query) button. You will notice that there is no selection process, there are no parameters to check. It runs immediately upon activation. If you desire a regular Pocket Query (for loading and hunting caches), stay away from that button.

OK You have defined the problem better than I did but the question still is how do I get rid of MY Finds, that option that is noted below the the list of PQS on the Active PQ page. ? There is no selection to remove it from the PQ. Do I delete the PQ and state from scratch? I would also like to get cache info for caches across the state line. Do I have to request a separate PQ?

You should probably delete that PQ that has all of your Finds included in it.

EDIT to add: IF the PQ that provides you with the included Finds is automatic, you need to alter a parameter to "Run this query once then delete it" in the first box. You will receive it one more time. Ignore it. It will eventually drop off of the download window.

Or of course, you could use the [Delete] button near the bottom of the page.

If you want to cross political boundaries/subdivisions, then you usually need to run a PQ that denotes that political subdivision.

Yes, you should run a PQ with PA as a selected area.

Note: BEFORE you [submit] a PQ to run, leave the day-of-the-week-to-run blank. Then [submit]. You will immediately be able to preview the results of that submitted, yet un-ran query from a link provided at the top of the page.

Use that preview to make sure what you want is within. If it is not, back-page to the submission form and reconfigure your selected parameters accordingly. Then, [submit] again and check that new preview. Once it meets with your approval, back-page again and then select the day-of-the-week-to-run and [submit].

This method allows you to fine-tune a PQ and it helps to avoid burning up your 5/day allotment because of re-submitting faulty queries.

It will not count against your allotment if you leave that day-of-the-week unchecked. Too, the query itself does not run, until you check that day-to-run box, so don't forget to check it when you are ready.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The "My Finds" PQ is a separate pocket query - you should be able to run and download another PQ without having to touch your "My Finds" PQ.

I think the confusion is that you're seeing your finds on the map in your GPS unit, right? Those aren't showing up with a new PQ, they're stored separately in your GPS unit and will be there regardless of if you delete old PQs or run new ones. There are ways to delete those caches out of your GPS unit, but I wanted to be clear that they have nothing to do with the new PQs you're running.

The best way (in my opinion) to get a PQ that crosses state lines is to run a PQ from the geocaching.com map page. Bring up the map, and center it in the area you'd like to have a PQ for (remember that the map goes underneath the left side bar - you can hide it to help you see the center better), and zoom out to cover the full area you're interested in. Then, in that left sidebar, click "Save as Pocket Query." In the Pocket Query page that will pop up, be sure to pick a day for the PQ to run, set the number returned to 1000, and be sure to click "I have not found" in the options to make sure you're not including caches you've already found. That should get you every cache from your center point, up to 1000 caches, regardless of state lines.

Hope that helps! :)

OK You have defined the problem better than I did but the question still is how do I get rid of MY Finds, that option that is noted below the the list of PQS on the Active PQ page. ? There is no selection to remove it from the PQ. Do I delete the PQ and state from scratch? I would also like to get cache info for caches across the state line. Do I have to request a separate PQ?

Are you talking about the "My Finds" section below the list of PQs that includes the button "Add to Queue"?

If so, you don't delete that. It is always there in case you want to run a My Finds query as discussed above. Just forget about it. It will not run unless you tell it to run. To have it sitting there does not hamper your PQ runs in any way.

No, you do not need to run another PQ to cross state lines. It sounds like you may have selected your home state in the "Within" section. Don't do that. Click on "None Selected". The PQ should then expand beyond your home state and into neghboring states until it exhausts your count and/or your radius.

Topics merged.

OK I got a PQ for my area. It defiantly stops at the State Line even though no boundary limit was selected. I think I can deal with that.

When a PQ comes in as a zipped file it has a NUMBER. There is no way to reference that number against the name I assigned to the PQ. If there is more than one PQ per day how can I determine what in in a given zipped file and thus assign a name to it that relates to what I asked for?

Edited by acachebox

Topics merged.

OK I got a PQ for my area. It defiantly stops at the State Line even though no boundary limit was selected. I think I can deal with that.

When a PQ comes in as a zipped file it has a NUMBER. There is no way to reference that number against the name I assigned to the PQ. If there is more than one PQ per day how can I determine what in in a given zipped file and thus assign a name to it that relates to what I asked for?

When you are ready to submit the PQ, one of the very last options is "Include Pocket Query name in download file name." Look for it in the "Output to" box, right above the "Submit Information" button. When you download the PQ, the name you gave it will be in the file name.