31 Days Of Geocaching Souvenirs

The Snowdog

You can get each of the August souvenirs without getting any caches in August and without having any FOUND logs in your stats for August? LOL. For example, it is now Sunday morning August 4 and we will be going out later today to get our cache of the day with our grandson Jake (Jake & Ben). However we already have the august 4 souvenir.

I think the whole souvenir thing could use a big revamp... My interpetation is that the purpose of souvenirs are to show off that you've achieved something (visited a certain state/country, cached on a certain date etc.). Why not look at other simillar systems with the same purpose and borrow some ideas.

For example World of warcraft (or any of Blizzards new games), the Sony playstation trophies or even the BadgeGen-macro used by many Geocaching users.

For example... looking at World of warcraft and translating it to geocaching I would suggest dividing souvenirs into two groups (with sub-catrgories): souvenirs that allways can be obtained (ie. "Find 100 traditional caches" or "Found a cache in Florida"), and souvenirs that are no longer obtainable (ie. "Find a geocache on August 1st 2013").

Since alot of geocachers (as least my experiense so far, and myself included) are somewhat nerdy (I mean this in the best possible way), numbers and statistics are appealing, so I really think a more extensive achievement system would be really well received.

With that said im currently working on my 31 Days of August streak... so far so good.

Just my 2 cents.

I suspect that most of the people who make a big deal about the country souvenirs they are simply traveling on work or vacation and were able to grab a quick P&G near there hotel. That fills in their map and maybe gets a souvenir, but they were in the country for some reason other than primarily geocaching.

Since you haven't found any caches in other countries all you can really do speculate. I can't speak for anyone else but my experience doesn't match up at all with your speculation.

I've found caches in 19 countries and can assure you that it's not always as simple as a quick P&G grab near the hotel. In one case it meant hiring a driver (at a cost of more thant $100) to take me to the closest cache. For another it a border crossing and a day visa and national park entrance fee (about $80 total) and in two other instances meant hiring a taxi to take me to/from my hotel (around $25 or so just to find one cache). I haven't traveled to any of these places primarily for geocaching but in almost every case I had to do some investigation into how I could fit geocaching time into the limited amount of time I had into that country. In many cases that meant arranging my itinerary such that I had enough time to get out and find a cache, in some cases choosing a specific hotel based on it's proximity to nearby caches, or an overnight layover (which meant paying for an stay at a hotel out of my own pocket) on the way from/to home which gave me some geocaching time. Even with all that pre-planning I've still been to several countries where I just couldn't find the time to get out and find a cache.

In any case, I suspect that many of the people that like to collect country and other regional souvenirs spend more effort to qualify for them than it takes to get up on a specific day, go out to buy a quart of milk, then fire up the geocaching app to find the nearest cache.

I suspect that most of the people who make a big deal about the country souvenirs they are simply traveling on work or vacation and were able to grab a quick P&G near there hotel. That fills in their map and maybe gets a souvenir, but they were in the country for some reason other than primarily geocaching.

Since you haven't found any caches in other countries all you can really do speculate. I can't speak for anyone else but my experience doesn't match up at all with your speculation.

I've found caches in 19 countries and can assure you that it's not always as simple as a quick P&G grab near the hotel. In one case it meant hiring a driver (at a cost of more thant $100) to take me to the closest cache. For another it a border crossing and a day visa and national park entrance fee (about $80 total) and in two other instances meant hiring a taxi to take me to/from my hotel (around $25 or so just to find one cache). I haven't traveled to any of these places primarily for geocaching but in almost every case I had to do some investigation into how I could fit geocaching time into the limited amount of time I had into that country. In many cases that meant arranging my itinerary such that I had enough time to get out and find a cache, in some cases choosing a specific hotel based on it's proximity to nearby caches, or an overnight layover (which meant paying for an stay at a hotel out of my own pocket) on the way from/to home which gave me some geocaching time. Even with all that pre-planning I've still been to several countries where I just couldn't find the time to get out and find a cache.

In any case, I suspect that many of the people that like to collect country and other regional souvenirs spend more effort to qualify for them than it takes to get up on a specific day, go out to buy a quart of milk, then fire up the geocaching app to find the nearest cache.

I've found some 260 caches in (I think) 11 US states and in precisely none of those examples did I visit an area with geocaching specifically in mind.

I have family in PA so finding caches there is unsurprising. When I first visited Chincoteague Island in VA I stayed near the VA/MD border and so found a few caches either side of it. Visiting friends in NC and SC saw me pick off a few caches in both, and when I took the opportunity to take an extended road trip that also took in TN and KY I grabbed a couple there too. On the way back I drove diagonally across WV without finding any caches at all, only to pick off a cache in a rest stop in WV when passing through on the interstate to see friends elsewhere.

I've found caches in various parts of the UK and in all cases the caching revolved around other things I was doing at the time. So a hiking holiday might have a route considered at least partly around any specific caches that caught my eye, but the place we visited was chosen because we wanted to explore it rather than because there were caches to be found. Even when my enjoyment of geocaching was at its peak it almost always played second fiddle to other activities, although sometimes I did use caching trails with favourite points (especially if the caches weren't micros, or if they were letterboxes rather than traditionals) as an indicator that a walk might be worth exploring even if we didn't find all of the caches along it.

The trouble with ticking areas on the map and issuing souvenirs is that there's no way to tell the difference between someone like me (who found a couple of caches in a WV interstate rest area) and someone who has cached extensively in every county in the state. It doesn't tell the difference between someone like me who lives in the UK and so has found hundreds of caches here from someone who had a few hours to while away at Heathrow while waiting for a connecting flight and grabbed a cache while they waited. It doesn't tell the difference between someone like me who will look for caches in the areas they are visiting as a secondary activity and someone like you who has obviously gone to much greater trouble to find a cache than I would.

So when someone has gone to great lengths to find a cache in a new country (incurring expense in terms of both time and money) and they get the same award as the guy who wanders out of the airport, grabs a cache, wanders back into the airport and jumps on their connecting flight, it shows just what they are worth.

So when someone has gone to great lengths to find a cache in a new country (incurring expense in terms of both time and money) and they get the same award as the guy who wanders out of the airport, grabs a cache, wanders back into the airport and jumps on their connecting flight, it shows just what they are worth.

How do you quantify the value of a souvenir? Since there is no economic value related to souvenirs, I'd suggest that the value of a souvenir is entirely subjective and that even for the same souvenir, the value that you associate with a specific souvenir may not be the same as the value that I, or anyone else associates with that souvenir.

Take, for example, looking at the souvenirs you have in your profile (I see that you've been doing a bit of house cleaning) I see one for West Virginia and one for Kentucky. Until you mentioned it, I would have had no idea what you did to get those souvenirs, thus any speculation on my part regarding their relative value, to you, would only be that; speculation. It would not be my place to decide what the value of any specific souvenirs, or souvenirs in general is for you. I can only decide what the value is for myself, and despite the fact that there seems to be a lot of people making claims about the worthiness of souvenirs in general, or of a specific type of souvenir, all those opinions are irrelevant with respect to the value of any souvenir to me.

How do you quantify the value of a souvenir? Since there is no economic value related to souvenirs, I'd suggest that the value of a souvenir is entirely subjective and that even for the same souvenir, the value that you associate with a specific souvenir may not be the same as the value that I, or anyone else associates with that souvenir.

I quantify the value of them as being roughly what I paid for them. In other words in my mind they have no value.

Take, for example, looking at the souvenirs you have in your profile (I see that you've been doing a bit of house cleaning) I see one for West Virginia and one for Kentucky. Until you mentioned it, I would have had no idea what you did to get those souvenirs, thus any speculation on my part regarding their relative value, to you, would only be that; speculation. It would not be my place to decide what the value of any specific souvenirs, or souvenirs in general is for you. I can only decide what the value is for myself, and despite the fact that there seems to be a lot of people making claims about the worthiness of souvenirs in general, or of a specific type of souvenir, all those opinions are irrelevant with respect to the value of any souvenir to me.

Sure, if you got a souvenir in WV on the basis of being sent to NYC on business but deciding to take a couple of extra days to drive into WV to find a cache and, not being content with a film pot in a rest area, you made a point of finding a multi stage 5/5 puzzle cache, your souvenir would be "worth" (whatever that might mean) more to you than my souvenir earned for stopping to take a leak in a rest area and picking off a micro while I was there is worth to me. That said if you find that multi stage 5/5 puzzle you probably take a lot more away in terms of memories and enjoyment than I will take away from a film pot in the rest area, so on that basis the souvenir is largely redundant anyway.

The caches I found in KY were a single ammo can and two earthcaches. Truth be told I remember the reason I was in Kentucky, to see the Cumberland Falls. I enjoyed the Cumberland Falls, and enjoyed the nearby Eagle Falls even more. I only vaguely remember the caches, beyond them relating to the two waterfalls and an ammo can near the trail to the Eagle Falls I'd struggle to tell you much about them at all.

I think 31 days of Geocaching is not a bad idea, but 31 souvenirs are too much. I have the first 5 days of August and my souvenir page already looks cluttered. A better idea would have been no souvenirs until the end of August then you get one that shows the number of days you had a find.

I think 31 days of Geocaching is not a bad idea, but 31 souvenirs are too much. I have the first 5 days of August and my souvenir page already looks cluttered. A better idea would have been no souvenirs until the end of August then you get one that shows the number of days you had a find.

And with 2M cachers on the site, you would have to design a program to look at each profile, then you still have to design 31 souveniers and artwork for each. May be a lil more work with the added program, but I like the idea better than one assigned on each day of the month... not stopping me from caching each day in Aug though.

My only thought with the daily ones is they only have the days number and no other real indication as to what they are for. you get 31 one souvenirs with numbers on them but no real reason that pops out like the state, country or single day date specific ones.

The value of any/all souvies is a personal thing.

To me, they are like a collection of junk in a drawer in the garage.

To NYPaddleCacher, they are like his children that he wants to see grow and prosper.

And each should be carried forward on their own merit. Unless...

That's not what I'm saying at all. You got it right that the value of any/all souvenirs is a personal thing but all I'm saying is that it's up to each person to decide the value is, I like collecting the souvenirs for different states and regions and would prefer that GS continued to release them for countries which do not yet have them instead of using them as a marketing tactic (can anyone remember GS promoting anything as much as they've done for the 31 days in August souvenirs?). If they all went away tomorrow I'd get over it pretty quickly.

Time and effort would be far better spent on new country souvenirs! Just think! We could have souvenirs for 31 more countries, like Puerto Rico, Mexico, Peru & 28 more! What a misapplication of resources. :ph34r:

Puerto Rico: now a country.

As far as Groundspeak is concerned, yes. See the country list on this page. They list quite a number of non-countries as countries.

Time and effort would be far better spent on new country souvenirs! Just think! We could have souvenirs for 31 more countries, like Puerto Rico, Mexico, Peru & 28 more! What a misapplication of resources. :ph34r:

As far as Groundspeak is concerned, yes. See the country list on this page. They list quite a number of non-countries as countries.

They have a broad definition of "country". All the U.S. territories, and even the U.S. minor outlying islands, are in the "countries" list.

Funny, though: I didn't see any Canadian territories in the list.

Edited by Kacher82

As far as Groundspeak is concerned, ye s. See the country list on this page. They list quite a number of non-countries as countries.

They have a broad definition of "country". All the U.S. territories, and even the U.S. minor outlying islands, are in the "countries" list.

Funny, though: I didn't see any Canadian territories in the list.

This has been asked and answered several times in the past. The country list that GS uses is primarily based on the U.N. Geopolitical ontology. That list contains countries *and* territories. If a Canadian territory is not on the GS country list it's probably because the U.N. doesn't recognize it as a territory. Btw, England, Scotland, and Wales are not the list either.

for me its not really about the souvenirs, although it would be nice just to get one over all one for the month if I can do all 31 days. I mean they dont give you a souvenir for your fist hide or find and to me those would be better to have.

I am going to do the 31 days more for the challenge of doing it than for the reward. Only reason I am gonna go with Aug is cause this "event" has prompted me to think about running a month long streak and if they are gonna give me a digital cookie for it too, why not. In the future, I will look at my stats and see what months are slowest and challenge myself to do a streak then too.

I have said before that I thought the 31 souvenir idea was kind of silly and childish. But I have heard from a few caching frinds that have the same attitude as above. It gives them an incentive to go out and try a streak. It also gets them out of the house each day. It also means that they have to spend time planning their caching and also using some of the caching tools, So maybe there is a positive side to this.

Here are two related stories

I have a very honest caching friend who wants to get them all but does not want to cheat. if there are two caches close together on a trail he will go for the furthest and spot the other one so that he can find it easier on the next day.

I have another friend who wont likely complete the 31 days because he is an avid cacher and has already grabbed most caches in the area. I asked why he grabbed and logged all 3 caches in a series on the same day and he said that he really couldn't afford the gas to drive there 3 times.

I have a very honest caching friend who wants to get them all but does not want to cheat. if there are two caches close together on a trail he will go for the furthest and spot the other one so that he can find it easier on the next day.

I was thinking about this problem, and the only honest approach I could think of was the same. Fortunately in my area there are dozens of caches within a half hour drive, including a lot designed as a "quick cache'n'dash". I've got one 'saved' which I saw while driving past.

I have another friend who wont likely complete the 31 days because he is an avid cacher and has already grabbed most caches in the area. I asked why he grabbed and logged all 3 caches in a series on the same day and he said that he really couldn't afford the gas to drive there 3 times.

On balance he is probably getting more benefit out of caching, doing that than getting all the souvenirs. Only 8 days into the Silly Season, I already got sick of one cache a day so logged two yesterday. Could have just memorised the location of the second one in case I got desperate for a souvenir, but preferred to sign it there and then.

Whose idea was it to require one find per day during the month of August, the month that school starts up again and football season starts? I tried, for kicks, to log two finds in one day. No joy, still only had one souvenir. I could cheat, but that would not teach my son the meaning of "On my honor..." i hope that these souvenirs will be traded in for a single one. I hope that I can keep this up for each day. I hope that I can find enough without having to drive out of town all the time. I don't think there are enough caches left in my home town to make it to the end of the month. It is roughly an hour turnaround for each cache each day. That isn't very fuel efficient or environmentally friendly. Somebody really didn't think about this one.

Whose idea was it to require one find per day during the month of August, the month that school starts up again and football season starts? I tried, for kicks, to log two finds in one day. No joy, still only had one souvenir. I could cheat, but that would not teach my son the meaning of "On my honor..." i hope that these souvenirs will be traded in for a single one. I hope that I can keep this up for each day. I hope that I can find enough without having to drive out of town all the time. I don't think there are enough caches left in my home town to make it to the end of the month. It is roughly an hour turnaround for each cache each day. That isn't very fuel efficient or environmentally friendly. Somebody really didn't think about this one.

... or they didn't care if they put several thousand SUVs on the road for repeated journeys. Maybe the lackeys at Groundspeak have shares in Exxon.

for me its not really about the souvenirs, although it would be nice just to get one over all one for the month if I can do all 31 days. I mean they dont give you a souvenir for your fist hide or find and to me those would be better to have.

I am going to do the 31 days more for the challenge of doing it than for the reward. Only reason I am gonna go with Aug is cause this "event" has prompted me to think about running a month long streak and if they are gonna give me a digital cookie for it too, why not. In the future, I will look at my stats and see what months are slowest and challenge myself to do a streak then too.

I have said before that I thought the 31 souvenir idea was kind of silly and childish. But I have heard from a few caching frinds that have the same attitude as above. It gives them an incentive to go out and try a streak. It also gets them out of the house each day. It also means that they have to spend time planning their caching and also using some of the caching tools, So maybe there is a positive side to this.

Yes, I am doing this streak the honest way too... I am fortunate enough that I still have plenty of caches to find in my area. I just take a different way home after work each night. If I really feeling gungho, I will find my one for the day, take my time logging it, then go find a 2nd and log that one when I get home. See I get off work at 2330 (1130pm) so stradling midnight to make it possible is easy at least Monday through Sat. Sunday I have to go out while everyone is napping in the afternoon. Next week will be the challenge, going on vacation, so there will be lots of family time, hoping I can peal off to find some and keep the streak alive. Would look silly now to have the first 9, then a couple more here and there.

Then why are you doing it?

By the way, 9 days in and the tone in the logs and on the local groups is rapidly changing. People are starting to realize that they took what was fun and turned it into work, all over a silly gimmick. Some are re-evaluating geocaching in general. Others plan to take some time off. This could very well end up being a big flop for Groundspeak. I don't think that anyone considered that they could potentially burn out their customers.

Then why are you doing it?

By the way, 9 days in and the tone in the logs and on the local groups is rapidly changing. People are starting to realize that they took what was fun and turned it into work, all over a silly gimmick. Some are re-evaluating geocaching in general. Others plan to take some time off. This could very well end up being a big flop for Groundspeak. I don't think that anyone considered that they could potentially burn out their customers.

Easily understandable.

I decided to give geocaching as a primary activity another try, promoting it from something I did if I happened to be cycling near a cache to cycling with a view to finding geocaches along the way. I enjoyed a couple of them, got bored with spider webs behind signs very quickly, found a fake rock cache that I enjoyed despite finding dozens of them in the past (the location was cool), and a sandwich box in the hollow of a tree that was neat both for being on a nice path and for not being a micro.

I had planned to subvert the souvenirs for a puzzle cache but now we're on day 10 I decided I can't even be bothered to write fake logs if I don't end up caching on the relevant days, let alone go out of my way for the sake of a souvenir.

Admittedly I'm one of the more skeptical about souvenirs in general but it does seem to say something when I can't even be bothered to go on a single caching run and log the caches on different days. Maybe I'm lazy and cynical, maybe these souvenirs are going to be a bigger flop than even I expected.

I logged a cache on August 1st and did not get the souvenir. What's with that? Anyone else having this result?

I think I may have just had lightning strike me with why you may have had that problem... TIME ZONES... you and I are on the east cost and Groundspeak in on the West, 3 hour difference, so anything logged on the east coast before 0301 (3:01 AM) will be time stamped for the previous day even though we are into the next day.

I logged a cache from my phone at 0047 on 1 Aug, but because of time zones, it registered at 2147 on 31 July at Geocaching HQ, there fore I had to go back in and correct the date.

I, too, have had the same issue with the time/day stamp. So, I have been going in to edit the log after each one that that happens on. A minor inconvenience that I'll live with.

I don't know why people are complaining so much about the chance to earn new souvenirs. I think this is a great idea and I appreciate the opportunity! It makes perfect sense to me.

Geocaching is supposed to help make you smile. If it makes you grumpy, then maybe you're playing it wrong.

I'm with you, Golden Ace. I don't understand either why so many are so unhappy with the souvenirs for August. I love geocaching. Been doing it for almost a year and have not done a streak before. So I've accepted the challenge and am having fun doing it. I work 3rd shift and am doing a lot of these at night when I have down time. So I will take all 31 souvenirs and be proud of them.

I don't know why people are complaining so much about the chance to earn new souvenirs. I think this is a great idea and I appreciate the opportunity! It makes perfect sense to me.

Geocaching is supposed to help make you smile. If it makes you grumpy, then maybe you're playing it wrong.

I'm with you, Golden Ace. I don't understand either why so many are so unhappy with the souvenirs for August. I love geocaching. Been doing it for almost a year and have not done a streak before. So I've accepted the challenge and am having fun doing it. I work 3rd shift and am doing a lot of these at night when I have down time. So I will take all 31 souvenirs and be proud of them.

People are not complaining about the chance to earn new souvenirs, people are complaining because they love geocaching and like to continue this without getting these souvenirs. You like getting these 31 souvenirs and that is fine, you have a choice to go out for your first streak or not. For us the souvenirs mean something different than finding just any cache on a meaningless day. This specific challenge isn't a real challenge for us, so the attached souvenirs have no meaning. And to make sure we don't get the unwanted souvenirs we can't find/log geocaches this month. We don't have a choice like you, unless we fake dates etc. Why not just a souvenir for those who like to complete a streak instead of a souvenir for each day? Is the august challenge about a streak or about getting many souvenirs?

So not to get "grumpy", we can't play the game we love at all this month. Can you understand now why some can be unhappy? I've asked weeks ago in this part of the forum if the souvenir page could be made editable, so both those who like to go out for these calendar items but also those who don't, will be happy, but no response from Groundspeak.

And of course I can ignore the souvenirs page from now on and go caching as if the souvenirs don't exist. But I'm not sure that solution make us just as happy as you are with your first streak.

I'm glad you're having fun. But please try to understand that for some there might also be some negative side effects. As a CO for instance I'm not waiting for the next TFTSouvenir log. And what if geocaching isn't anymore about getting outdoors, finding a cache, having a great day and write a nice log? When the focus shifts from this to maintaining a streak, finding as many caches as possible and logs without any meaning or just TFTC etc., then it might change into a very different game. And that is something that makes some cachers grumpy/unhappy as well.

I sincerely hope you can now understand a different point of view and respect this as well. We wish you lots of fun this month!

So not to get "grumpy", we can't play the game we love at all this month. Can you understand now why some can be unhappy?

No. I don't understand. How can some silly links the Groundspeak puts on you profile page make anyone so unhappy that rather than have these links they would rather not geocache for a month?

Perhaps you are missing the point that geocaching is about doing something fun and enjoyable. You've just said that whatever fun or enjoyment you get from geocaching isn't worth the unhappiness that just one of these souvenirs appearing on your profile. Sorry you don't find geocaching more enjoyable.

Now, I can understand that some people "value" certain souvenirs more than others. They would like some feature that allows them to sort souvenirs by the personal value they assign or to hide the souvenirs whose personal value falls below some threshold. Of course this is different than not geocaching for a month. And it's something you can keep lobbying for long after August has passed. However, it seems clear that, for now, Groundspeak isn't interested in implementing such a feature. It may be something only a few people are asking for. But more likely the issue is that lack of the feature doesn't seem to have a connection to whether or not you enjoy geocaching.

Without souvenirs, people who like streaks will work on streaks, people who like filling in countries on the map with visit countries and find cache there. While TPTB may issue souvenirs and promote activities, one can choose to do these or not regardless of souvenirs. Getting a souvenir for something you were going to do anyway doesn't seem like it should be making anyone unhappy. The only real argument I've see is that these will clutter up your souvenir page and make it harder to see the souvenirs you like mixed in with the ones you don't.

I sincerely hope you can now understand a different point of view and respect this as well. We wish you lots of fun this month!

I try to understand different points of view.

I can empathize with the idea the a souvenir for each day of the month is silly. But then I think all souvenirs are silly.

I understand that many people are upset that game and the demographics have changed over time. One thing that hasn't changed are the people who declare that some new feature is going to bring the demise of geocaching. So far however this hasn't happened. While sometimes Groundspeak makes mistakes and has to go and remove the feature or try something different, more often then not, the new features attract new geocachers and expand the game. Old timers can still play the game the old way; sometimes it may require a little preparation to weed out caches they don't want to find.

Everyone is welcome to express opinions on the forum as to whether some new feature is good or bad and to request features to help those who would like to ignore the new feature. However, it's very hard to make a case that you can no longer enjoy geocaching unless Groundspeak lets you hide a feature.

Now, I can understand that some people "value" certain souvenirs more than others. They would like some feature that allows them to sort souvenirs by the personal value they assign or to hide the souvenirs whose personal value falls below some threshold. Of course this is different than not geocaching for a month. And it's something you can keep lobbying for long after August has passed. However, it seems clear that, for now, Groundspeak isn't interested in implementing such a feature. It may be something only a few people are asking for. But more likely the issue is that lack of the feature doesn't seem to have a connection to whether or not you enjoy geocaching.

Not going geocaching is the result of valuing certain souvenirs more than others. I can choose to keep on geocaching and then try to lobby for an editable souvenirs page and keep on hoping for upcoming years my request gets heard (that would be something to get me grumpy!). But not going geocaching this month, to be sure those souvenirs will not show up/clutter on my profile, is the only guaranteed option that works for now unfortunately. It is not what I wished for, since now the weather is great to go out geocaching and I had some planned until this August-streak thing appeared. But I can do other fun things as well, so I did. But I wish I didn't have to choose this way, and I don't like that some cachers post here to say that people who do not like these specific souvenirs don't know what geocaching is all about.

I see no effects of any lobby at this forum, so I do not intend to waste energy in keep on asking for it, especially when a feature request like this is bullied down by people who do not care about souvenirs and find all other requests more important. And I'm also not going to be one of the many that are now asking how they can remove certain souvenirs.

For me gaining souvenirs is a part of the game, so a part of how I enjoy geocaching. These specific calendar souvenirs do not qualify for my souvenirs page. With single souvenirs, like with a specific event, I can choose not to go to that event. But with these souvenirs there is no way to enjoy going out geocaching without getting them. These souvenirs won't be attached to a specific memory like the ones we got for different countries/states.

You don't care about them, you don't get the fun we have with souvenirs, that's fine. But I remember with each souvenir what we did to get it. There are special memories attached, memories I made myself, not memories about someone elses enjoyment to create a streak.

So to me the souvenirs page is part of whether I enjoy geocaching or not, at least as long as the souvenirs page has a meaning to me and keeps on being a page filled with memories. And no, it is not the only way to store/collect memories, I also make photos and sometimes even movies to go with logs. But this souvenir aspect of the game was something new that was implemented and I enjoyed. Just like I enjoyed challenges, although they were never implemented well and even taken away at the end. I hope souvenirs won't end up just being a better mistake tomorrow as well.

So to go to your last sentence:

"However, it's very hard to make a case that you can no longer enjoy geocaching unless Groundspeak lets you hide a feature."

I can hide/ignore certain caches, I can start/stop making caches, I can (not) post certain logs and photos, I can choose what is showing up on my statistics page and what is not, all these things are part on how each individual enjoys geocaching. Each aspect of the game can be of certain importance, this differs per person. Having a choice is part of the fun. With this specific type of souvenirs, the august souvenirs, there is no choice.

Guys.. just don't look at the souvenir page. I don't see why it's affecting people so much that a new picture will be on a page that they seem to not even look at. The fact that it brings them so much rage that they refuse to partake in an activity they enjoy for an entire month just to avoid it simply baffles me. It's ridiculous, if you ask me.

As for me, I'm using it to keep in fun competition with my friend. "Did you get #11 yet? Better get on that. I'm hours ahead of you now." It's a game. Have fun.

Guys.. just don't look at the souvenir page. I don't see why it's affecting people so much that a new picture will be on a page that they seem to not even look at. The fact that it brings them so much rage that they refuse to partake in an activity they enjoy for an entire month just to avoid it simply baffles me. It's ridiculous, if you ask me.

As for me, I'm using it to keep in fun competition with my friend. "Did you get #11 yet? Better get on that. I'm hours ahead of you now." It's a game. Have fun.

Glad you're having fun. But I don't understand your post. Which people are affected by a picture on a page they not look at? Who are they? Haven't seen rage either, only disappointment.

Glad you're having fun. But I don't understand your post. Which people are affected by a picture on a page they not look at? Who are they? Haven't seen rage either, only disappointment.

The people saying they aren't going to geocache all of august because of the souvenir. All the souvenir is, is a picture on a page that they have already stated they don't bother with in the first place. Why stop doing something you enjoy doing all because when you do it, you're going to get a picture with a number on it? I'm just making it out to be exactly what it is. A picture on a website that has no significance. It doesn't affect the geocaching experience. It doesn't affect the game. It just appears on a tab that you have to click on to see.

The people saying they aren't going to geocache all of august because of the souvenir. All the souvenir is, is a picture on a page that they have already stated they don't bother with in the first place. Why stop doing something you enjoy doing all because when you do it, you're going to get a picture with a number on it? I'm just making it out to be exactly what it is. A picture on a website that has no significance. It doesn't affect the geocaching experience. It doesn't affect the game. It just appears on a tab that you have to click on to see.

It's annoying for the people who like souvenirs but not these particular souvenirs. You know, if you're collecting souvenirs from countries, states, specific dates of interest (12-12-12 for example) and then your collection gets spammed with souvenirs you regard as pointless it's impossible to segregate the ones you wanted from the ones you didn't.

Personally I think all souvenirs are pointless and would rather Groundspeak did something to improve the site and the game rather than endless silly gimmicks, but there you go. There's probably a souvenir for that under development.

We're one of those not caching this Month, due to the souvenirs that, to us, mean nothing.

We had fun getting 10/10/10, 12/12/12, Leap Day and the States we've visited, which mean something to nobody else but us.

A cache I'll do today would be either higher in terrain or difficulty and I sure wouldn't be hitting 4+ terrain for 31 days straight.

Our area is swamped with LPCs and C&Ds.

- So caching every day would force us to go after (to us) lame hides we've steered clear of, just to get these souvenirs.

No thanks.

Since it'd be against their fun fun fun marketing ploy to tell us whether or not they'd delete the meaningless (again, to us) souvenirs for this entire Month, it's best we simply not cache this Month, than have our souvenir page cluttered with something we aren't interested in.

Fortunately, caching isn't our only hobby.

I don't know why I am so shocked to hear all these people claim that the motivation to keep all the August souvenirs off their profile is stronger than any enjoyment that they might get from geocaching during the month. After all prior to this month I've manage to avoid getting any special date souvenir but one - for leap day. And any one who wishes can probably find my post where I ask about mis-dating my find to keep from getting that souvenir. As it is, I would just as soon not have any state souvenirs but they were all rewarded retroactively, so there was nothing I could short of deleting all my finds prior those souvenir being given out.

I think the difference is that I was always a bit sarcastic in my complaints about souvenirs. Since Groundspeak awards them based on what geocaching I've done, the best I can do is state clearly that my geocaching is not influenced by this silliness.

What people are claiming here is that the other souvenirs were OK because they awarded for geocaching accomplishment the felt were worthy of souvenirs (or could by some clever planning be turned into a worthy accomplishment).

Some people seem to be particularly proud of caches they have found in distant countries. For other they may have picked a special cache to find on those special dates. Well good for them. But I don't seen the souvenir as particular having any connection to this. I think people who travel and are able to do some geocaching on their trips will do so regardless of the souvenir. Some people may be enticed to pick a country that has a souvenir,but I suspect that many might think finding a cache is a country which doesn't have a souvenir is more of an accomplishment (or at least that one day Groundspeak may add the country and they get the souvie retroactively).

I also know that many people will chose a special cache for a milestone (and now I guess for a date souvie). While I understand that some people might use milestones or souvenir to motivate themselves to do a more difficult cache, eventually these schemes breakdown. For some reason you couldn't get the special cache when you planned and end up doing it instead some other time.

I supposed you can't tell someone how to use the souvenirs. If they want to associated them with particular caches or activities and find that 31 consecutive days of geocaching does not easily align with this then they are going to have bypass geocaching on at least some days in August. Or August can be the event that makes them see that caching on trips or finding special caches doesn't have to be associated with souvenirs and are things you can enjoy anytime or anywhere you travel regardless of the souvenir.

Not going geocaching is the result of valuing certain souvenirs more than others. I can choose to keep on geocaching and then try to lobby for an editable souvenirs page and keep on hoping for upcoming years my request gets heard (that would be something to get me grumpy!). But not going geocaching this month, to be sure those souvenirs will not show up/clutter on my profile, is the only guaranteed option that works for now unfortunately. It is not what I wished for, since now the weather is great to go out geocaching and I had some planned until this August-streak thing appeared. But I can do other fun things as well, so I did. But I wish I didn't have to choose this way, and I don't like that some cachers post here to say that people who do not like these specific souvenirs don't know what geocaching is all about.

You have somehow raised the importance of the souvenir tab to a higher value than geocaching itself. That makes no sense to me. I have souvenirs on my tab that I like. I don't like having ones that I don't like getting mixed up with those that I do like. However, in the grand scheme of things, it's much easier to just forget all about them. In fact, now that it is obvious that Groundspeak is going to ignore all of the possible things that they could have done with souvenirs and simply use them as a marketing tool, I've used the adblock addon to remove the tab from every profile I look at. They no longer exist for me. Instead of worrying about it, I'm going to go out and have fun finding some geocaches.

You have somehow raised the importance of the souvenir tab to a higher value than geocaching itself. That makes no sense to me. I have souvenirs on my tab that I like. I don't like having ones that I don't like getting mixed up with those that I do like. However, in the grand scheme of things, it's much easier to just forget all about them. In fact, now that it is obvious that Groundspeak is going to ignore all of the possible things that they could have done with souvenirs and simply use them as a marketing tool, I've used the adblock addon to remove the tab from every profile I look at. They no longer exist for me. Instead of worrying about it, I'm going to go out and have fun finding some geocaches.

No I didn't raise the souvenir tab to a higher importance than geocaching itself. I thought about the several options to deal with the situation and forgetting the whole souvenir thing was a good option as well. One that almost made it since I'm not sure either that someday Groundspeak will continue their country souvenirs. And if they won't this tab won't mean as much in the future as it does at the moment. For now each souvenir has a special memory. If I won't get new ones some day in the future, this part of the game will die for me as well and can be ignored. Just like I now ignore micro's behind garbage cans, although I've found some of those in the past. What is and what isn't interesting to someone can change during the years.

I'm just not ready to let the souvenirs go right now. It's not hard not to go geocaching, even for "addicts" like us. So we still have fun this month (there should be a topic on experiences when you don't go for the August souvenirs![;)]), it's just unfortunate that finding caches can't be part of our activities for now.

So I can assure you it's not a matter of worrying about it, being in a rage like someone else said, not knowing what geocaching is all about. I can decide not to go caching, because I don't want these souvenirs. I can explain why, but instead of people saying (except for the ones that feel the same): I like the streak, but I'm sorry there is no alternative to go geocaching for you not to get them. Just like I say: have fun going out for the streak, it's just not my cup of tea.

But instead people need to insist that this is silly etc. That is the only thing that worries me, that there are geocachers who simply keep on saying how stupid I am not to go geocaching, they simply don't want to understand another point of view and respect that. There is no need to say that my opinion is silly, that it is silly to let souvenirs (which are part of my game) decide not to go geocaching. I've never said that someone who goes out every day to find a cache (even ones they rather ignore) to get a souvenir is silly, why can't it be the other way around as well?

No I didn't raise the souvenir tab to a higher importance than geocaching itself. I thought about the several options to deal with the situation and forgetting the whole souvenir thing was a good option as well. One that almost made it since I'm not sure either that someday Groundspeak will continue their country souvenirs. And if they won't this tab won't mean as much in the future as it does at the moment. For now each souvenir has a special memory. If I won't get new ones some day in the future, this part of the game will die for me as well and can be ignored. Just like I now ignore micro's behind garbage cans, although I've found some of those in the past. What is and what isn't interesting to someone can change during the years.

I'm just not ready to let the souvenirs go right now. It's not hard not to go geocaching, even for "addicts" like us. So we still have fun this month (there should be a topic on experiences when you don't go for the August souvenirs![;)]), it's just unfortunate that finding caches can't be part of our activities for now.

So I can assure you it's not a matter of worrying about it, being in a rage like someone else said, not knowing what geocaching is all about. I can decide not to go caching, because I don't want these souvenirs. I can explain why, but instead of people saying (except for the ones that feel the same): I like the streak, but I'm sorry there is no alternative to go geocaching for you not to get them. Just like I say: have fun going out for the streak, it's just not my cup of tea.

But instead people need to insist that this is silly etc. That is the only thing that worries me, that there are geocachers who simply keep on saying how stupid I am not to go geocaching, they simply don't want to understand another point of view and respect that. There is no need to say that my opinion is silly, that it is silly to let souvenirs (which are part of my game) decide not to go geocaching. I've never said that someone who goes out every day to find a cache (even ones they rather ignore) to get a souvenir is silly, why can't it be the other way around as well?

Admittedly, when I first read your earlier post I was a little taken aback that someone wouldn't cache just because they didn't want a souvenir.

After reading your last post I realized it is just how you chose to play the game. I don't feel you were whining or silly, actually eloquently stating your point. We all play the game in our own way. There are going to be players who skip over closer caches to get that FTF. There are people who are working on a streak that will go out to get a cache even if they don't want to. Others players will get the close cache on the way to the FTF and if we don't get the FTF so be it. Others are working on D/T's and will seek only those out. I don't get some of that play either. I don't do streaks as they seem like to much work and make make my fun hobby non fun. But i'm not going to judge the people who play differently than I do and call them silly.

But I will say this...I'm sure it would be nice to have a choice to take them down, but there isn't so people need to work with the choices available. Whether it be not caching or ignoring the souvenirs that they don't like - those are the options. We have to work with what we have. I would have liked there to be souvenirs for certain events that took place, but there are not. People getting riled about things they can't change are counter-productive. Instead we have to work with what we have.

Those 31 Days Souvenirs heat up the discussions ;-)

What I think:

- If there was a possibility to delete a (any) souvenir, a lot of people would be happy that they could clean up their souvenir-page.

- If someone who has the 31 souvenirs at the end of the month can choose to replace those 31 souvenirs with ONE SPECIAL "31 Days 2013" souvenir, this would be a more correct value. I am not so proud of the souvenir of today as of my souvenir "Switzerland" but ONE souvenir for completing this month without a miss has a value that compares a little bit to my other precious souvenirs.

OpSinjoor

Mom says, "I know, let's get outside and have some fun in August! We can use an app for our phone to go on some adventures and find a few geocaches. We can ride bikes, go to some parks, pack a lunch, go for a hike, and find a few geocaches along the way. In fact, you can even create your own account and for every day you find a geocache in August, you'll get a new souvenir for your profile page! Pretty cool! You can even invite a friend to come along! Maybe you and your friends can see if you can find a geocache every day in August. Who do you think will earn the most souvenirs, you or your friend? Oh, I know! We could even do some of them at night; with flashlights or glowsticks, then go for ice cream afterwards!"

Do you actually have kids? Geocaching every day for 30 days? How realistic, really, is that for the average family?

We have four kids and they are excited to find a cache a day in one month before we restart school. We're still traveling, so finding them in different states too as well as hunting those closer to home which we didn't find yet.

Wait for the update: When Geocaching gives a souvenir for every day of every year!

As noted elsewhere, I will not/cannot find a cache every day in August. Prior obligations, severe traffic problems after work, lack of easy caches nearby...

I like the souvenirs that I had accumulated before August. We planned long and hard for PEI and Newfoundland. (Would have gone to St Pierre if GC had not forcibly removed it from France. But I have already been to France: Saint Martin!) Planned vacation trips to Iowa, Ontario, South Carolina, Kentucky &c. But those color in my map well. Even showed my caching partner that my high school French would assist us travelling through Quebec. (Hispanics do not seem to study French in High School...) Hopefully, heading to Washington next month...

I would like to delete most of my souvenirs for August (except for the astronomically incorrect one.) With all the superfluous, meaningless blather tossed in there, souvenirs have become meaningless. Hey! Get a souvenir for every minute of the day! The meaningful ones are lost in the dross.

Mom says, "I know, let's get outside and have some fun in August! We can use an app for our phone to go on some adventures and find a few geocaches. We can ride bikes, go to some parks, pack a lunch, go for a hike, and find a few geocaches along the way. In fact, you can even create your own account and for every day you find a geocache in August, you'll get a new souvenir for your profile page! Pretty cool! You can even invite a friend to come along! Maybe you and your friends can see if you can find a geocache every day in August. Who do you think will earn the most souvenirs, you or your friend? Oh, I know! We could even do some of them at night; with flashlights or glowsticks, then go for ice cream afterwards!"

Do you actually have kids? Geocaching every day for 30 days? How realistic, really, is that for the average family?

We have four kids and they are excited to find a cache a day in one month before we restart school. We're still traveling, so finding them in different states too as well as hunting those closer to home which we didn't find yet.

I see your find count now and I understand. Of course if you're just starting off, the kids will be interested. Don't expect it to stay like that, though.

I use GSAK to manage my statistics. This tool gives me all the flexibility I need to choose which souvenir I want to display on my profile and how.

GSAK is a great tool and does lots of things, but AFAIK there is no API by which GSAK lets you control what Grounspeak souvenirs appear in your profile.

What GSAK does have, through the BadgeGen macro, is the ability to create some HTML of badges/souvenirs that you can paste into your profile.

Statistics, badges, and many other features first appeared in third party tools like GSAK. The tools gave users the ultimate flexiblity in setting up what statistics they want to display in the profile - including the option to just view your statistics privately and not have to share them with everyone online. When others started to see the nice statistic and badges some people had in their profiles, they started asking for these abilities to be made native to Geocaching.com. Some sain that GSAK is too hard to learn how to use, or that it only works on Windows. Others felt that official Groundspeak statistic/souvenirs would encourage more participation.

It usually isn't hard for Groundspeak to add the capability. Sometimes they acquire the underlying code from one of the third party developers and integrate into the website, othertimes (if I use the common expression for this, Keystone will give me a timeout, so I'll just say) they write their own code. The Groundspeak version is never as flexible as the original options. Ultimately people complain about this lack of flexibility, but many others will simply ignore the new Groundspeak feature and continue to paste the old solutions in there profiles.

I use GSAK to manage my statistics. This tool gives me all the flexibility I need to choose which souvenir I want to display on my profile and how.

GSAK is a great tool and does lots of things, but AFAIK there is no API by which GSAK lets you control what Grounspeak souvenirs appear in your profile.

What GSAK does have, through the BadgeGen macro, is the ability to create some HTML of badges/souvenirs that you can paste into your profile.

Statistics, badges, and many other features first appeared in third party tools like GSAK. The tools gave users the ultimate flexiblity in setting up what statistics they want to display in the profile - including the option to just view your statistics privately and not have to share them with everyone online. When others started to see the nice statistic and badges some people had in their profiles, they started asking for these abilities to be made native to Geocaching.com. Some sain that GSAK is too hard to learn how to use, or that it only works on Windows. Others felt that official Groundspeak statistic/souvenirs would encourage more participation.

It usually isn't hard for Groundspeak to add the capability. Sometimes they acquire the underlying code from one of the third party developers and integrate into the website, othertimes (if I use the common expression for this, Keystone will give me a timeout, so I'll just say) they write their own code. The Groundspeak version is never as flexible as the original options. Ultimately people complain about this lack of flexibility, but many others will simply ignore the new Groundspeak feature and continue to paste the old solutions in there profiles.

I think DeepPurple may be referring to the SouvenirStats.gsk macro (http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=21576&st=0entry194721) which allows you to download your souvenirs through and api call, check which ones you want to show up and the macro will generate HTML code to insert into your BadgeGen/FindStatsGen code to display select souvenirs on your main profile page. There is no way to prevent souvenirs from showing up on the souvenir tab, but you can choose to have some or all displayed on your main profile tab.

I think DeepPurple may be referring to the SouvenirStats.gsk macro (http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=21576&st=0entry194721) which allows you to download your souvenirs through and api call, check which ones you want to show up and the macro will generate HTML code to insert into your BadgeGen/FindStatsGen code to display select souvenirs on your main profile page. There is no way to prevent souvenirs from showing up on the souvenir tab, but you can choose to have some or all displayed on your main profile tab.

Indeed. I use Gsak intensively to publish stats on my profile DeepPurple. For the Souvenirs, I have created two sections. One for the chrono-souvenirs, related to a specific date, and one for the geo-souvenirs, linked to a specific place, country or state. This way, I have full control on what I want to publish on my profile. GSAK is very easy to use, and a lot of very powerful macros have been developed by the users community.

Please don't hold it against me but I've been doing a cache a day for August souvenirs - yes I am embarrassed and really need to get to a session of CA (cacher's anonymous). I do think they're completely worthless as in you don't have to do or go anywhere even remotely interesting to obtain them. While better but not great would have been, one (1) souvenir for caching all 31 days in August.

I am hoping that Groundspeak will not make this the norm. Grabbing any old D1/T1 for a souvenir is way too much like completing one of those disastrous "Challenges" that failed absolutely miserably - and then some...

So please, Groundspeak - don't cheapen Souvenirs any more that what August has done to them, or at least save us from total embarrassment and let us deselect the ones we don't want people seeing we obtained (like all of August).

So in a nutshell;

Embarrassing

Should not be the norm

Embarrassing

De-selectable like our other stats.

I'd like to see the ability to Hide the Souvenirs Tab, or individual tags, or group them, or ANYTHING that makes them actually usefully to look through.. Alphabetical has got to be the worst way to go... At least sort them by date so they show some sort of reasonable order...

When the August ones first were announced, I thought, it might be nice to try a streak for the month, but didn't think I'd actually make it.. There are lots of caches nearby, but having to get something everyday just didn't seem like that much fun.... But, I went for it anyway and did make all 31 days, and will probably never bother to try for a streak again...

For those who do like that sort of thing, good for you...It's just not for me...

And why was the US the only country that got a stupid looking state "icons". All the other countries that have "State" Souvenirs got icons that resemble the actual souvenir, not just a silhouette of the state with the abbreviation in the middle...

For all the Countries that don't yet have a souvenir, If it's just that they don't want to spend the money to pay someone to create them, create a contest, let the public create some, and let everyone vote on which one... Maybe even limit the voting to the residents of the country being represented.... There are alot of very talented Artist Cachers out there that could create some wonderful souvenirs...

I already hide my "Statistics" page in favor of GSAK generated stats... I include my Souvenirs in those stats, so I would prefer to hide the official "Souvenirs" page as well. For all the August ones, I created my own (along with squishing the US State Souvenirs into smaller boxes, yeah they don't look great, but they look better than the blue boxes...)

August2013.png

-TWT