31 Days Of Geocaching Souvenirs

The Snowdog

Of course there may be peopld who "cheat" to get a particular souvenir. I'm not certain that worrying about whether it is "easier" to cheat on on kind of souvenir vs. another really has much to do with the value someone puts on a souvenir. It may for you. Other people will hold the opinion that if someone has to "cheat" to get a souvenir, then they've really only cheated themselves.

Sure, for me I couldn't really care less what souvenirs someone else has. The person who lives in the Pacific Northwest will likely have souvenirs for states like WA, OR, ID etc that I'll probably never get. In the meantime I've got a bunch of souvenirs for more eastern states because that's the area I tend to visit. Getting souvenirs by cheating could be seen as a pretty sad attempt to get recognition under false pretences, or a bit of a joke to show how truly pointless they are, or probably a whole bunch of other things in between.

As one who thinks they are utterly pointless I'd tend to go for the approach that highlights how pointless they are. I know I've found caches in Kentucky (three of them to be precise) so I don't need a souvenir to show I've found them. I know I haven't found any caches in Texas so the lack of souvenir for Texas is equally predictable.

Huh? :huh: The Geocaching souvenir is a image file stored online that most people never look at, and if you do you will find it has less value than any thing in that junk drawer. I'm just not following the gold coin analogy.

I can't tell people which of their Geocaching souvenirs bring back special memories and which just clutter the page. However I can say that unlike gold coins, silver plated spoons, snow globes, or keychains - you didn't buy any of these souvenirs. These are instead given out by Groundspeak at their descretion. You have the choice to leave them in the drawer or to look occasionally to see which you have acquired. While I imagine that few people will remember a few months from now what caches the found on August 11, the fact that they got a souvenir for it doesn't change their memories that their Ohio souvenir evokes.

The gold coin analogy is to show that there are some things that people might assign some value to but they can rapidly get lost among dross that purports to reflect a comparable event. In the case of the new Prince George a gold coin commemorates his birth, as does a tacky tea towel, a snow globe, a plastic spoon, and no doubt dozens of other pieces of mass produced tat. If someone spent a bit of money on the gold coin or the bone china plate they might proudly display it as part of a collection. They would be unlikely to include the plastic spoon and tea towel in their display because tatty items would detract from the display of more meaningful items.

I guess I just don't understand the souvenir mindset at all. On the rare occasions I've looked at my souvenir page none of them evoke any memories at all for me. Perhaps it's because the caches I found in so many states were incidental to the fact I was there anyway and happened to pick off a few caches in the places I planned to be, as opposed to visiting the states with a specific aim of finding caches to tick off the states. The caches I found in WV were exclusively rest area quickies so that souvenir brings back no particular memories. The photos I took in Shenandoah and Chincoteague bring back far more memories than an icon on my profile page that says "VA".

I'm aware I didn't pay for any souvenirs but would still compare their relative value to physical items. Let's say Great Aunt Mabel gives you a really nice commemorative plate so you can start collecting, after you expressed an interest. Three months go past and she gives you another, and then another after a further three months. Each one is something beautiful so you put them in a display cabinet. Then Great Aunt Mabel loses her marbles and starts sending you an utterly unremarkable dinner plate every few days. Do you really want every single one of them in your display cabinet?

Except it doesn't do anything of the sort because there's no way to check what date you actually found the cache. If it's so important to you to get the 12-12-12 souvenir, or the leap day souvenir or whatever other random date has been chosen, and you can't (or can't be bothered to) get out caching that day there's nothing to stop you claiming a cache anyway. If you know you won't be out on 12-12-12 you can find a cache on the 11th and log it on the 12th.

Man! You have posted this or something similar about 20 times in the last three days.

I'm practising for my 31 days of geocaching, or 31 days of not-geocaching, or my 31 days of will-I-won't-I-really-be-geocaching, or whatever it turns out to be. I was going to practise ready for a long streak but got overexcited with all the soggy film pots behind signs so had to do something a little less interesting for a while... :ph34r:

There is something that stops us from faking dates to get rewarded. It's called personal integrity. I'm beginning to believe that this may be a foreign concept to you.

Ah, yeah, OK...

Must... not... mock... the... virtual... gold... stars...

I'm aware I didn't pay for any souvenirs but would still compare their relative value to physical items. Let's say Great Aunt Mabel gives you a really nice commemorative plate so you can start collecting, after you expressed an interest. Three months go past and she gives you another, and then another after a further three months. Each one is something beautiful so you put them in a display cabinet. Then Great Aunt Mabel loses her marbles and starts sending you an utterly unremarkable dinner plate every few days. Do you really want every single one of them in your display cabinet?

I think there was a similar analogy in an earlier thread. It was Grandma and not Great Aunt Mabel. What Groundspeak souvenirs are more like is Grandma devoting a different wall of her house to each grandchild. She puts something up on the wall for each grandchild when they achieve a goal. Grandma decides to provide a set of goals that are a bit easier, where every grandchild can at least achieve a few. There is one grandchild who has achieved several more difficult goals in the past. Now it seems that child is complaining to Grandma that he doesn't want any awards for achieving the easy goals. These are going to clutter up his wall and make the awards for the more difficult goals hard to find.

So now the question is, if enough of the grand-kids complain about the 'easy' awards:

Will Grandma let each grand-kid decide what will be displayed on 'their' wall?

or

Will Grandma keep putting up the awards as she sees fit?

or

Will Grandma decide she doesn't want to hear any more about it from the ungrateful brats and take the whole thing down? Of course vowing the whole time to 'make better mistakes tomorrow'.

So now the question is, if enough of the grand-kids complain about the 'easy' awards:

or

or

Will Grandma decide she doesn't want to hear any more about it from the ungrateful brats and take the whole thing down? Of course vowing the whole time to 'make better mistakes tomorrow'.

Maybe Grandma will decide she doesn't want to hear any more about it from the ungrateful brats and take something totally unrelated off to someone else's house, insisting it's better there, refusing all requests to bring it back, to give her a few more walls to post certificates commemorating little Jimmy successfully picking his nose on a Tuesday before lunch.

or

or

Maybe Grandma will decide she doesn't want to hear any more about it from the ungrateful brats and take something totally unrelated off to someone else's house, insisting it's better there, refusing all requests to bring it back, to give her a few more walls to post certificates commemorating little Jimmy successfully picking his nose on a Tuesday before lunch.

What happens when grandma drops dead?

What happens when grandma drops dead?

That's easy. We all get a souvenir to mark the day.

... and a souvenir for attending the funeral, and another one for attending the wake afterwards, and another one for each day of some random month that we decide to contemplate what a good woman she was.

I thought it was lame at first, but figured then the challenge of doing a 31 day streak in August is pretty tough for a school teacher with a baby due August 15th.

Then I "cheated" and just make a ton of event caches in August.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx=69eb8534-b718-4b35-ae3c-a856a55b0874&u=elrojo14

Doing a 31 day streak will be tough for me also.

I think what I'm going to do is hold an event each day of the month on my front lawn. Cachers will not only get an easy smilie, but a glass of lemonade for each day they pull at least 1 weed out of my front lawn. I'll call them the "31 days of weeding" events. :P

You are already way behind the game. You can't make your first event until August 11th because of the two week rule. That means 10 actual days of Geocaching not on your lawn in your underwear with a glass of lemonade.

I thought it was lame at first, but figured then the challenge of doing a 31 day streak in August is pretty tough for a school teacher with a baby due August 15th.

Then I "cheated" and just make a ton of event caches in August.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx=69eb8534-b718-4b35-ae3c-a856a55b0874&u=elrojo14

I think what I'm going to do is hold an event each day of the month on my front lawn. Cachers will not only get an easy smilie, but a glass of lemonade for each day they pull at least 1 weed out of my front lawn. I'll call them the "31 days of weeding" events. :P

You are already way behind the game. You can't make your first event until August 11th because of the two week rule. That means 10 actual days of Geocaching not on your lawn in your underwear with a glass of lemonade.

21 days. And I'll have pants on (for most events).

Have fun! Wouldn't it be easier to just never click on the Souvenir tab again?

Personally, I am not going to change my caching habits in any way.

I think I've only looked at my Souvenir Page once. Now I'll have a reason to check it again. Yay!

But I've never been able to go find a cache, on demand. That would be the real challenge.

I got a shot at 42 new souvenirs for August as I'll be visiting 10 new States and the APE event, might be a record. I just might need a second souvenir page.

It's all about the numbers.

I'll be visiting at least 2 and will hopefully find out it will be 3 new States in August but I won't be spending $1000 or so just to attend a party in Seattle. However, I have tentative plans (mostly settling on a travel date) to go to Seattle in September. I'm debating whether or not I want to make an appointment (or would even be welcome) to visit Grounspeak HQ even though I'll probably be staying just a few blocks away.

It seems silly to me to have 31 separate souvenirs for August. Why not then make 365 souvenirs, one for each day of the year? Now one single souvenir for all 31 days of August 2013, that would be cool. B)

I'll probably do the 31 days in a row thing, hoping that TPTB reconsider and offer ONE souvenir for those that earn it. If I do get 31 souvenirs, as expected, the whole souvenir concept will become more irrelevant to me.

for me its not really about the souvenirs, although it would be nice just to get one over all one for the month if I can do all 31 days. I mean they dont give you a souvenir for your fist hide or find and to me those would be better to have.

I am going to do the 31 days more for the challenge of doing it than for the reward. Only reason I am gonna go with Aug is cause this "event" has prompted me to think about running a month long streak and if they are gonna give me a digital cookie for it too, why not. In the future, I will look at my stats and see what months are slowest and challenge myself to do a streak then too.

It seems silly to me to have 31 separate souvenirs for August. Why not then make 365 souvenirs, one for each day of the year?

I have no doubt they plan on getting there at some point.

If they design 365 souvenirs we didn't ask for and refuse to design the 150+ country-based souvenirs we actually want, it will be a very clear statement: "We don't care what you want."

If they design 365 souvenirs we didn't ask for and refuse to design the 150+ country-based souvenirs we actually want, it will be a very clear statement: "We don't care what you want."

I think that's pretty clear already.

Yup, bucketloads of evidence in the positive for that call.

All three of you are wrong, the effort put into the 31 August souvenirs is far less than designing one Country souvenir.

All three of you are wrong, the effort put into the 31 August souvenirs is far less than designing one Country souvenir.

I am not trying to sound sarcastic or anything, but please enlighten us on how designing one country souvenir is any more work than designing one for a specific day of the month. We have state souvenirs already, should be easy enough to modify that for a particular country.

I think if someone could show what goes into designing the souvenirs, that may slow the complaining over GS's decisions on what souvenirs get made and released and when and of course why. I know that there is more to it than it appears on the surface, but I have no idea what all has to happen to make them reality.

I am not trying to sound sarcastic or anything, but please enlighten us on how designing one country souvenir is any more work than designing one for a specific day of the month. We have state souvenirs already, should be easy enough to modify that for a particular country.

I think if someone could show what goes into designing the souvenirs, that may slow the complaining over GS's decisions on what souvenirs get made and released and when and of course why. I know that there is more to it than it appears on the surface, but I have no idea what all has to happen to make them reality.

Have you seen the August souvenirs? 'Nuff said.

Edited by Roman!

yes, I did just see them a lil while ago today... I have also seen the State ones I have earned as well so far... again I do not see where one would be harder than the other to design. So if one is harder enlighten me to how.

I would agree that the Aug ones look like my 12 year old could have designed them. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Bandit1979

I don't think the idea of souvenirs (country or date) was ever meant to please existing geocachers. Especially long time members who are active in the forum.

They were meant to attract new (and possibly younger) geocachers and provide short term goals to keep them interested. Far more people participate in the date based souvenirs than travel to collect country or state based ones. For Groundspeak it is a no-brainer which souvenirs to create more of.

yes, I did just see them a lil while ago today... I have also seen the State ones I have earned as well so far... again I do not see where one would be harder than the other to design. So if one is harder enlighten me to how.

I would agree that the Aug ones look like my 12 year old could have designed them. 'Nuff said.

One might argue that a country souvenir would require defining boundaries, but they're already defined for the map. Some countries have them, so the code structure is there.

I don't think the idea of souvenirs (country or date) was ever meant to please existing geocachers. Especially long time members who are active in the forum.

They were meant to attract new (and possibly younger) geocachers and provide short term goals to keep them interested. Far more people participate in the date based souvenirs than travel to collect country or state based ones. For Groundspeak it is a no-brainer which souvenirs to create more of.

This may be true, but with 13 years in the game, one would assume that they would have had the countries done by now. However, I do not know how long the souvenir thing has been going on. It was here when I joined, so I am "assuming" that souvenirs have been a part since the sites birth.

One might argue that a country souvenir would require defining boundaries, but they're already defined for the map. Some countries have them, so the code structure is there.

For those that missed it my comment was pure sarcasm.

Being a long time member who is active in the forum(s) I think it sounds fun. If I wanted to be critical I'd say it is nice to see gc.com involving itself in the community, and about time.

Edited by BlueDeuce

This may be true, but with 13 years in the game, one would assume that they would have had the countries done by now. However, I do not know how long the souvenir thing has been going on. It was here when I joined, so I am "assuming" that souvenirs have been a part since the sites birth.

Souvenirs were only launched in late 2010. They released the US states, Canadian provinces, German Bundesland, and 4 other countries over the course of a few months. They then halted the releases and no new country-based souvenirs were released until around the time of the 2,000,000th cache earlier this year, when they released about 20 more. They then stated that there would be no more for reasons unexplained, and here we are today.

Anyway, for anyone interested, see here for the August 1st one. I'm curious to see how different each of them are.

If people can only be kept interested by giving them a few virtual gold stars for a month and then stopping the gold stars it speaks volumes about the attractiveness of the game of going out and looking for hidden containers.

How many geocachers, even new and younger geocachers, are going to reason "everything seems to be a soggy film pot behind a sign, but that's OK because I got a souvenir for finding it", and if so how many are going to give up come September when the daily souvenirs stop?

You *are* aware that the thumbnail images click through to the full souvenir artwork, aren't you? The U.S. State souvenir thumbnails are really boring and were probably as easy to created as the August souvenirs but the full artwork is pretty elaborate for many of the actual souvenirs. For example:

53673d52-71f5-4b27-be8b-e1f36b0f435e.png

Leads to this:

9d9c3976-93df-4c73-8a10-90955133cf21.png

We just finished our 31 day mystery streak for a challenge B) and now we have to find 13 more mysteries in order to qualify for a 128 mystery streak (yep, we found that many in July), thus inevitable we will get some of the August souvenirs. We'll also get a few more as two vacation trips are booked for August. Oh well.. just more clutter amongst my precious country souvenirs :( If they didn't start with a number but appeared at the end of the souvenir list I would not mind at all... now I just ignore them.

Mrs. terratin

You *are* aware that the thumbnail images click through to the full souvenir artwork, aren't you? The U.S. State souvenir thumbnails are really boring and were probably as easy to created as the August souvenirs but the full artwork is pretty elaborate for many of the actual souvenirs. For example:

53673d52-71f5-4b27-be8b-e1f36b0f435e.png

Leads to this:

9d9c3976-93df-4c73-8a10-90955133cf21.png

No I was not aware of that at all... I just took it for face value and never tried to click on them to see if there was something more to it.

I logged a cache on August 1st and did not get the souvenir. What's with that? Anyone else having this result?

I had to update a log of mine cuz I logged from my phone and even thought the time stamp was for 8/1 at about 0047, the log on the site was for 7/31. So I had to correct it. Once corrected, I got a small pop up message at the bottom about receiving the souvenir for today.

I logged a cache on August 1st and did not get the souvenir. What's with that? Anyone else having this result?

I think I may have just had lightning strike me with why you may have had that problem... TIME ZONES... you and I are on the east cost and Groundspeak in on the West, 3 hour difference, so anything logged on the east coast before 0301 (3:01 AM) will be time stamped for the previous day even though we are into the next day.

I logged a cache from my phone at 0047 on 1 Aug, but because of time zones, it registered at 2147 on 31 July at Geocaching HQ, there fore I had to go back in and correct the date.

Edited by Bandit1979

I have a good idea for Groundspeak.

With every souvenir the user can be decide to delete them. So i have the option to delete my 31 August souvenirs. I like souvenirs. But they are don´t look not pretty nice and that´s too much.

Or Groundspeak change them on 1st September to one souvenir with the count of august.

I have a good idea for Groundspeak.

With every souvenir the user can be decide to delete them. So i have the option to delete my 31 August souvenirs. I like souvenirs. But they are don´t look not pretty nice and that´s too much.

Or Groundspeak change them on 1st September to one souvenir with the count of august.

This could be done by setting the souvenir to hidden. There would still need to be a record kept in the database, that a user received a souvenir and declined it. Otherwise people who didn't want a geographical souvenir would get it back if they cached in the same place again.

From my own perspective I am not really interested if someone in another part of the world - or even in my home town - cached on IGD and each day of August, but am interested in where they have cached. It would be useful to separate time-based souvenirs from the geographical ones, but with geographical and time-based souvenirs (Megas etc) grouped with geographic ones. The reason being, that to get geographic souvenirs away from one's home area will usually take more effort than getting one of the time based ones. For cachers in countries with a lot of caches anyway.

... to get geographic souvenirs away from one's home area will usually take more effort than getting one of the time based ones. For cachers in countries with a lot of caches anyway.

I keep seeing this argument as some sort of justification for making a distinction between country based souvenirs and date based ones.

I have no doubt that there are some geocachers who plan trips solely to go geocaching in a area they haven't found geocaches in before. It's possible that they select these areas in part based on whether there is a souvenir available, but more likely they are looking for places based on what caches they can find there.

I suspect that most of the people who make a big deal about the country souvenirs they are simply traveling on work or vacation and were able to grab a quick P&G near there hotel. That fills in their map and maybe gets a souvenir, but they were in the country for some reason other than primarily geocaching.

Often the date based souvenirs take more planning. For many people getting all 31 days of August will be a considerable effort - as would any streak of 31 days. But even many special days may fall on a day when the geocacher has other commitments. Either they are like the traveler and squeeze in a quick P&G sometime in the day or they have to pass on the souvenir. Unlike the traveler, who may someday return to the country for another chance, the person who misses out on a special day souvenir can't get it (at least without mis-dating a find).

I'll grant that getting a souvenir for country far from home probably means you have more money (and probably more time) than some who doesn't. So I suppose that could be view some kind of status symbol - like driving a BMW or a Lexus.

... to get geographic souvenirs away from one's home area will usually take more effort than getting one of the time based ones. For cachers in countries with a lot of caches anyway.

I keep seeing this argument as some sort of justification for making a distinction between country based souvenirs and date based ones.

There is a distinction between country based and date based souvenirs. One shows where you've cached, and the other shows when you've cached. That's why I like the idea of being able to group them, rather than have them all in the same place, sorted alphabetically.

There is a distinction between country based and date based souvenirs. One shows where you've cached, and the other shows when you've cached. That's why I like the idea of being able to group them, rather than have them all in the same place, sorted alphabetically.

There should be 3 tabs:

Where: Shows souvenirs of where you've cached.

When: Show date specific souvenirs.

What: All event based souvenirs, flash mobs, etc.

I have no doubt that there are some geocachers who plan trips solely to go geocaching in a area they haven't found geocaches in before. It's possible that they select these areas in part based on whether there is a souvenir available, but more likely they are looking for places based on what caches they can find there.

I suspect that most of the people who make a big deal about the country souvenirs they are simply traveling on work or vacation and were able to grab a quick P&G near there hotel. That fills in their map and maybe gets a souvenir, but they were in the country for some reason other than primarily geocaching.

I don't make a deal about souvenirs, I don't care about them at all and think the August ones are a waste of bits. I do like ticking states off the map, even if some of them (WV for instance) was a quick park-n-grab at the welcome area on the interstate.

Often the date based souvenirs take more planning. For many people getting all 31 days of August will be a considerable effort - as would any streak of 31 days. But even many special days may fall on a day when the geocacher has other commitments. Either they are like the traveler and squeeze in a quick P&G sometime in the day or they have to pass on the souvenir. Unlike the traveler, who may someday return to the country for another chance, the person who misses out on a special day souvenir can't get it (at least without mis-dating a find).

The date based souvenirs are also easier to cheat. Find 10 caches in one day and log them on each of 10 consecutive days and you get 10 souvenirs. At least finding caches in 10 states can theoretically be checked. Virtuals are particularly good for this kind of thing because nobody knows when you actually found the cache, all anybody knows is what day you sent the email with the answers in it.

I'll grant that getting a souvenir for country far from home probably means you have more money (and probably more time) than some who doesn't. So I suppose that could be view some kind of status symbol - like driving a BMW or a Lexus.

Or you travel on business, or won a holiday somewhere, or found an old international multi.