How to read a freaking GPS?

Der Vogels

Hi everyone,

My family and I have been geocaching for over a year now and I admit that we're not very good... :( My husband is convinced that it's because we don't know how to use our GPS. We now have a Magellan eXplorist 310 and I know how to download caches, bring them up, zoom in, etc... All the basic commands of how to work the thing. What we (HE!) get frustrated about it is in the actual search (and we had similar issues with our previous eTrex too - although worse than the Magellan). I think our biggest issue is that it doesn't give us a clear direction of which way to go - it's like the signal will bounce around a lot. Now I've read that this happens because of tree coverage, etc. but it's also happened in the open. And the North direction will suddenly point in the opposite way that it's supposed to and so we get confused about which way we're supposed to go. I assume that all GPS units do this but I'm not sure of that I guess. I know that it's more likely to happen (the bouncing thing) if you're standing still? Does anyone have a link to a video or can tell us how to handle/read the darn thing? Thanks!!

Stephanie

I'm not familiar with Magellan so any suggestions I have would be rather general. If you've been Geocaching for over a year you must have come to realize by now that the device will only get you so close, and that you shouldn't expect pinpoint accuracy.

One thing comes to my mind right away....I checked the specs on the Explorist 310 and it does not appear to have an electronic compass. This may be relevant to your problem. With an electronic compass the unit always knows which way is north, and therefore always knows which way it is facing. So it always knows in which direction the waypoint is that you are navigating to even if you are standing still.

A device without an electronic compass, however, does not inherently know which way it is pointing, and relies on constant updates of your position to determine direction. So if you stop moving and stand in one place and turn around, the device only knows that you're not moving and assumes you are still facing the last known direction of travel, even if you are facing the other way now.

Try to determine if you are primarily seeing this issue when you are at a standstill, or maybe moving very slowly like through thick brush or something like that. If you are standing still and it starts acting wonky, try taking a few steps in any direction to get it oriented again.

Chief301 pretty much nailed it! Moving slowly or not moving at all is one key as to why the compass pointer jumps about with that Magellan, probably the eTrex also.

A non-electronic GPSr compass requires movement to function (it determines movement by the incoming satellite signals). An electronic GPSr compass actually reads the earth's magnetic field to function. An electronic compass requires periodic calibration, a non-electronic compass does not.

There is one other possibility... when you approach the cache (listed coordinates), like... say 20 ft or thereabouts, it is time to put the unit away. As a consumer-grade device, it is incapable of delivering finer "accuracy". This also causes the compass pointer to jump around, pointing in many different directions. In essence, if you are looking at the GPSr screen, you are wasting your search capabilities as you should be looking for the cache (more properly, the hiding spot). There is no unit (that most any of us could afford) than can put us spot-on to the listed coordinates every time.

As an example: Prior to GPS capabilities (those satellites and the devices to interpret those signals) precise movement and waypoint projection (that is what geocachers are doing, by the way) was accomplished by using a topographical map, magnetic compass, drawing compass, ruler and pencils (orienteering). One would orient the map to north, use the compass to obtain direction and with the drawing compass, ruler and pencils draw lines on the map. Where those lines would intersect was the waypoint. People using hard-lead and very sharp pencils would obtain more accurate placements than those using soft-lead and dull-pointed pencils -- see where this is leading? One person would obtain a "fine" pin-point location (sharp pointed pencil) while the other would obtain a "fat" line-crossing (soft pencil). Depending on the map used (size, if you will) the intersection of the soft-lead pencil lines could be as large as 1/2-mile across. That is a pretty large area in which to search for a geocache, wouldn't you say? A nice, fine-line intersection could be as small as 50 yards -- still pretty big compared to our capabilities with a GPSr, but better nonetheless.

Think of consumer-grade GPSr units as a soft-lead pencil. Commercial and military-grade units use a much harder-lead pencil.

Precision and accuracy has a cost factor assigned to it.

Your frustration is shared by many, especially neophyte users, but with understanding the capabilities of your unit (which comes with practice), that frustration pretty much drops to the wayside. I dare say, down the road, it should bother you in the least.

That said... trust in your GPSr, but only to a point, then use your eyes and brain.

Stop worrying about the GPSr and concentrate on the geocache hiding spot.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I have that same GPS and it confuses me some also. I have gone to getting to the spot and watching how many feet I am from the cache ignoring the compass. The issue I have had is sometimes it works well other times it locks in the last distance I stop at then stays there instead of going up or down in distance.

I had the Garmin and hated it. The Magellan is much better and a whole lot easier to use and I'm a noobie. So far I have found 5-6 caches with it but my phone app is way better IMO.

Edited by Bassbully

Soft-lead pencil - nice analogy!

I might add, however, that you can never truly guarantee that posted coordinates are pin-point accuracy either. Unless you know the owner and they have a solid reputation for accurate coordinates, it really is always of better strategy to put the device away when nearing gz, and hone that geosense. More often than not, it'll be faster to look and search when reaching the vicinity than to find your most accurate reading and then search. You'll likely approach the coordinates and already have spotted where the cache is likely placed.

I chuckle when caching with a group, and everyone is milling about comparing their GPSr readings... just look for the cache already! ;P

I have that smae GPS and it confuses me some also. I have gone to getting to the spot and watching how many feet I am from the cache ignoring the compass. The issue I have had is sometimes it works well other times it locks in the last distance I stop at then stays there instead of going up or down in distance.

I had the Garmin and hated it. The Magellan is much better and a whole lot easier to use and I'm a noobie. So far I have found 5-6 caches with it but my phone app is way better IMO.

Same issue, really. You haven't spent the time getting to know your equipment -- what it will do, won't do and understanding its functionality.

I don't use a smartphone, never have and maybe never will... but I hardly consider it a drawback... in fact, I don't have to learn a new device all over again! ...and that pretty much sounds like a "gotcha"! :o:)

In fact, my dumb-phone rings too much -- disturbing me when I am caching. I'm about to leave it at home when I go.

I have that smae GPS and it confuses me some also. I have gone to getting to the spot and watching how many feet I am from the cache ignoring the compass. The issue I have had is sometimes it works well other times it locks in the last distance I stop at then stays there instead of going up or down in distance.

Same issue, really. You haven't spent the time getting to know your equipment -- what it will do, won't do and understanding its functionality.

I don't use a smartphone, never have and maybe never will... but I hardly consider it a drawback... in fact, I don't have to learn a new device all over again! ...and that pretty much sounds like a "gotcha"! :o:)

In fact, my dumb-phone rings too much -- disturbing me when I am caching. I'm about to leave it at home when I go.

I agree that I have not used the GPS long enough but it is coming. I do know my phone will take me to GZ very quickly with no guessing and has proved it . The GPS has not proven it is better yet.

The GPS has not proven it is better yet.
For ease of use, it's hard to beat a smartphone app. Access to the internet and the ability to download new cache data automatically makes a huge difference there.

Where the dedicated GPS receiver has the advantage is in its battery life, waterproof case, durability, and accuracy (especially in areas with poor GPS reception). It takes a little more work to figure out how to get cache data onto the GPS receiver, how to get field notes off the GPS receiver, etc. But if I drop my GPS receiver in a creek, I still have a GPS receiver; if I drop my phone in a creek, I now have a paperweight.

For ease of use, it's hard to beat a smartphone app. Access to the internet and the ability to download new cache data automatically makes a huge difference there.

Where the dedicated GPS receiver has the advantage is in its battery life, waterproof case, durability, and accuracy (especially in areas with poor GPS reception). It takes a little more work to figure out how to get cache data onto the GPS receiver, how to get field notes off the GPS receiver, etc. But if I drop my GPS receiver in a creek, I still have a GPS receiver; if I drop my phone in a creek, I now have a paperweight.

Very true NiraD and I can take Bassbully to places where he won't find a thing with his phone but a GPS will work fine.

Very true NiraD and I can take Bassbully to places where he won't find a thing with his phone but a GPS will work fine.

Oh I agree the GPS has more advantages than the phone but for dry around the hood caching the phone rules. My phone will take me to GZ quickly and has navigation right to the cache..easy peasy. I am leaning towards the GPS for batt life etc but they are not as easy to use as a phone app...sorry.

Somebody needs to invent a GPS that works and updates as quickly and easy as the phone apps.

Edited by Bassbully
Where the dedicated GPS receiver has the advantage is

Well, again, define 'smartphone' and define 'GPS receiver'. There are wide ranges of both types of devices, so it's unfair to compare them overall and draw a general conclusion from that.

in its battery life

Be prepared. External battery pack for a smartphone with a shorter battery life is greatly beneficial. Get one that takes AA's instead of a single-use-then-recharge-it proprietary battery, then you don't need an outlet, just a handful of batteries (and, GPS users typically think the same re batteries)

waterproof case

If you're accident prone, highly cautious, or going over water, it's certainly beneficial. I've never had a water-proof case; I've dropped a 3GS in water years ago, and that was my only loss. I dropped its replacement 3GS in water and retrieved without harm (after drying properly). I've had every phone I've owned sprinkled with water, dipped slightly in a puddle, and generally had them not perfectly taken care of. My current 4S still works perfectly fine (and you should see it).

Still, a protective case is always a Good Idea (but not essential).

Simply put: Know what your device can handle, and if you think it'll be in situations beyond its limits, then be prepared and protect it. And that's true for smartphones AND handhelds.

durability

See above :)

accuracy (especially in areas with poor GPS reception)

This is the most relevant point pertaining to device class and model.

I could say smartphones have better accuracy than GPSrs - if I'm comparing the iPhone 5 with a 13 year old cheap GPSr. Or vice versa if comparing the iPhone 3G with the latest greatest handheld. Apples and oranges.

Compare devices - don't compare "smartphones" and "GPSrs" - compare devices across device type, and take into account the model, age, technology, and price.

Smartphone vs GPSr is a pointless, useless debate :drama:

But if I drop my GPS receiver in a creek, I still have a GPS receiver; if I drop my phone in a creek, I now have a paperweight.

Nope, and I know first hand that that's not always true. ;)

Disclaimer: I am not a fanatical "iPhones are better than dedicated GPSrs!" - I am simply saying consider all devices rationally, and determine which is the best for your use, budget, and habits, whether it be a handheld or a smartphone

(and please, dear God, if you use a smartphone for placing caches, make sure you have a recent device, and regardless of your device, everyone should always do what they can to ensure as accurate coordinates as possible! Simply using a GPSr is most definitely not a guarantee of accurate coordinates)

:cool:

A little update on my Magellan 310 GPS.

Although it sometimes still has me wondering I have finally almost got to the top of the learning curve. Moving with this GPS is a must.If you stop it will not track and then it is toast. I use it to get to GZ and then put it away.

It is pretty good at getting me to GZ but a little slow. Overall it works well when I have used it.

Now with the phone it is what it is. I have little problems with it and it gets extreamly close to true GZ. It also updates quickly and works moving or not. The phone app is much easier to use but as I said the GPS unit is gaining.

I am starting to find I am using the GPS more and more and feel it will replace the phone soon. I really think using both is an advantage but the phones battery and signal life is an issue I do not have with the GPS.

With the 310 it is as easy as pulling up the cache, hitting go and following the directional arrow to the finish flag until it flashes red...GZ. At that point I put it away and start looking...oh don't forget to keep moving if you want it to track right.

Edited by Bassbully