Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
BruceS

Featured Waymark Suggestions

52 posts in this topic

After 135 waymarks posted in the category "Dovecotes" it's time to pick one as featured waymark. The dovecot of the Château du Clos Lucé, where Leonardo da Vinci spent the last three years of his life, seems to me perfectly suited for that purpose. Its exterior architecture, the originality of the octagonal interior, the quality and number of photos of the poster (exterior and interior) and the information provided make it a good example of a waymark for this category.

I just approved an interesting Waymark, Sphinx Memorial, which I feel deserves recognition as a Featured Waymark. It is a World War I memorial carved from native sandstone in the shape of and 1/8 the size of, The Sphinx, and is flanked by a pair of small pyramids. It stands in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in New South Wales, Australia.

However, that's not the most interesting aspect of this memorial:

"Pte. William Shirley was a patient of the Lady Davidson Convalescent Hospital for returned World War One Australian veterans. He sailed to war in January 1916 and served with the 13th Btn A.I.F. (the “Two Blues” – as a result of the Battalion’s two tone blue colour patch). Like many of his comrades at Lady Davidson he suffered from gas inflicted during the fierce battles on the Western Front - with the added complications of a tuberculosis infection.

Between 1926 - 1928, an ailing William Shirley laboured at creating his personal memorial to his fallen A.I.F comrades. The Sphinx took some one and a half years to complete. He died in 1929, leaving an unusual legacy in stone to be contemplated by the many bushwalkers who enjoy the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park." (From the Waymark)

Courtesy of Google Street View one may do a "Walk By".

Sphinx-01.jpg

Sphinx-02.jpg

Edited by BK-Hunters