Featured Waymark Suggestions

BruceS

As I mentioned in this topic, I discovered Waymarking through some Featured Waymarks in a Geocaching Magazine. The magazine was called Geomag and during some numbers it presented an article about a Featured Waymark, but it seems that they are Featured only in the magazine I did a seach and they are not on the site. So I would like to suggest if they could be added to the site Featured Waymarks.

After some hard work I was able to list the magazines number,pages and which waymark was Featured. (The magazines did not have an edition in English, I hope you can translate it with google) 

Nº13 - Page 108-109 -- WMMVYQ - Insect Hotel - Jardins St Martin - Monaco-Ville, Monaco

Nº14 - Page 118-119 -- WMMHXQ - Fuente de la Bola - A Coruña, Spain

Nº15 - Page 128-131 -- WMKX35 - Monte Brasileiro Peace Pole.

Nº16 - Page 36-37 -- WMF6AJ  - Ghost Bike - Jason MacIntyre - Fort William, Scotland, UK

Nº17 - Page 64-65 -- WMN980 - Caixa do Tempo - Matosinhos, Portugal

Nº18 - Page 82-83 -- WMK295 - Tagus Birdwatching - Póvoa, Portugal

Nº19 - Page 94-95 -- WMF763 - Greyfriars Bobby - Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Nº20 - Page 88 -- WMB5JK - Castelo de Guimarães - Guimarães

Nº21 - Page 92-93 -- WMQBBB - Racoon - Lisbon, Portugal

Nº23 - Page 60-61 -- WMPJV1 - Sloth Crossing - Limón, Costa Rica

Nº24 - Page 68-69 -- WMAXQC - Ponte Maria Pia - Porto, Portugal

The magazine doesn't exist anymore it ended in number 26 :(

Good thing the state got fixed first before it became a Featured Waymark! It happens more than you'd think. I hope to visit that squirrel crossing one day. I cannot tell from the photos of there's netting on the side or they just keep their balance while crossing. Looks scary to me! As someone who feeds squirrels on a daily basis I LOVE this animal crossing!

I'm an officer of the Art Deco Art Nouveau category and recently came across one of the finest examples of Art Nouveau I've ever seen, that being 'La Terraza' and declared a Spanish National Artistic Historical Monument in 1975. It was submitted by Aribena and I'd like to nominate it as a Featured Waymark. Although the photos he provided aren't the best, you may see some beautiful photo examples here and here.

Well done! :smile:

• Funny 1

Though I'm an officer in the Puzzling Waymarks I didn't see this one come by and one of the other officers approved it. This is a wonderful Waymark which comes from Bedoegoel, Indonesia. A gorgeous, out of the way spot in the world, the Waymark comes with a great story, as it was a part of the submitter's honeymoon.

Para Ulun Danu Bratan Bali Indonesia - Bedoegoel, Indonesia

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

While I was not the one privileged to approve this Waymark, it's another I feel well deserving of recognition as a Featured Waymark, both for its beauty and its uniqueness.

Entitled The Land of seven Colours, the Waymark encompasses a small area quite unique on this planet, a series of sand dunes coloured by sands of seven distinct colours, yet not mixed with regard to their colour. The following is from the Mauritius Tourism site:

"However, the most important attraction of Chamarel, attracting hundreds of thousands of tourists to this place, is the sand dunes made of multi-colored sand or the Seven Coloured Earths. The Chamarel dunes are formed by sands of seven colors : red, brown, violet, green, blue, purple and yellow. Grains of different colors are not mixed with each other, but are clearly divided into multi-colored layers that form bizarre patterns.

The phenomenon of the "land of seven colors" is that, despite the effects of heat, wind and rain, the bizarre color patterns on the sands of Chamarel are not destroyed. Moreover, the multi-colored layers of sand are very clear and they do not mix with each other, despite all the aggressive environmental influences.

Scientists concluded that the colored sand was formed as a result of the decomposition of volcanic basalts. Mauritius is rich in volcanic rocks. Their gradual cooling at various temperatures dyed the Chamarel Earths iridescent colors. So, the red shades of sand were obtained due to the content of iron oxide in the earth, and blue-green shades appeared due to the presence of aluminum oxide.

However, the most important secret of the multi-colored sands of Chamarel is their ability not to mix with each other and always separate into colored layers, and it still remains unsolved."

The photos accompanying the Waymark clearly depict the seven colours of the sands of Chamarel.

c6556166-77b3-419e-aef8-2fd613e60ab8.jpg

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1

This is precisely the thing about featured waymarks that bugs me... What about the waymarks that were suggested in february this year? I don't mean that the just appraised waymark is worthy to be a featured waymark, because it is, but it has a 'random' feel about it that I think can improve mayorly. I suggest taking a look at this webiste and how they select their featured articles, I think it would be way better that way: 

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/UESPWiki:Featured_Articles

• Surprised 1
On 2/8/2022 at 9:10 AM, Axel-F said:

I featured 6! Thanks for the reminder.

• Upvote 1

I've just had the pleasure and privilege of approving a Waymark dealing with a site which has become iconic in the realm of Spanish architecture. It is a Waymark I found quite interesting, both for its historic value and, more importantly, its architectural value, in that it was/is "one of the greatest exponents of rationalist architecture" of Spain. Nearly destroyed in the face of urban reconstruction, it has, solely as the result of public outcry, managed to survive complete demolition. Further outcry has led to its being reconstructed in its original architectural form, thereby salvaging a truly iconic architectural treasure.

Following are excerpts from The Waymark:

"In the center of the capital we find this gas station that is, by all accounts, different from the ones we are used to seeing in our cities and highways. Built at the end of the twenties of the 20th century, it is one of the greatest exponents of rationalist architecture in our country, which was about to disappear when in the 70s they wanted to tear it down, the protests managed to stop it.

It was commissioned by Ignacio Fuster Otero for Petróleos Porto Pí, SA, a company that had a monopoly on the refining and sale of Russian oil in Spain. It was built that same year in the record time of fifty days, and is considered one of the masterpieces of Spanish rationalism.

According to the writer Soledad Puértolas, "Fernández Shaw's gas station represents a touch of ingenuity and innocence amidst the gray moles of this stale neighborhood of Argüelles, and takes us back to a moment when the taste for gambling -in fact, this gas station is like a great toy, a giant toy-, the desire for experimentation, the faith in the inexhaustible variety of form, were combined with the confidence in the fair and rational progress of humanity.» According to the architects Casariego, Arean and Vaquero in their book Madrid. Lost Architectures 1927-1986 «This is one of the most characteristic works of an architect concerned with European cultural currents. It is considered one of the three works that marked the origin of modern Spanish architecture». In addition, "its demolition was absurd, since it continued to function as a gas station but in ruins", and "one of the examples [of] regrettable aspects of urban renewal»”

cef6b716-bffe-40ba-87ed-18b236e1b9c2.jpg

Respectfully submitted for your approval,

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

Good morning from Spain,

Thank you very much for considering that my WM deserves to be featured, your mere proposal to that list is already an award for me. It also helped me to discover that 2 of my WM were considered "Featured Waymarks".
Thanks,

Rosa.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xeocach said:

Good morning from Spain,

Thank you very much for considering that my WM deserves to be featured, your mere proposal to that list is already an award for me. It also helped me to discover that 2 of my WM were considered "Featured Waymarks".
Thanks,

Rosa.

Welcome. It's now featured. :omnomnom:

• Love 2
9 hours ago, xeocach said:

Good morning from Spain,

Thanks,

Rosa.

You are doing an excellent work, excellent photos and descriptions, you deserve that featured waymark

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
On 6/9/2023 at 9:56 AM, xeocach said:

Good morning from Spain,

Thanks,

Rosa.

Parabéns xeocach!!!!

• Funny 1