Best glue for all your camo needs?

What do people find is the best type of glue to use when camouflaging caches, such as gluing bark, pinecones, or branches to a container? I live in Alberta, so we have very cold (and long) winters, so apart from rain the glue would also need to hold up under cold and constantly wet conditions.

I've bought some 5 minute Epoxi, as well as some waterproof carpenters (wood) glue, because I read that some people use these. Thought I'd see what everyone thinks is the best for the job.

Thanks!

I've had good results with outdoor adhesive caulk.

But I'm also a fan of using mechanical fasteners (screws, bolts, rivets, etc.) when possible, using caulk only to waterproof the area where the mechanical fastener penetrates the container.

I was about to post a question on the same topic.. Mine was more specific to .. say.. adhering plastic pill bottles etc.. into rubber/plastic toys etc.. in a HOT/HUMID climate.. =) would you use the same stuff as listed previously or something different?

Thanks in advance! =)

~angela

I use E6000 for EVERTHING. Works great on smooth surfaces (even glass) has a very low order, is clear, and can be found in just about any craft store.
Interesting. That looks very useful (and not just for geocache construction). How well does it hold up to exposure to the elements?

What do people find is the best type of glue to use when camouflaging caches, such as gluing bark, pinecones, or branches to a container?

Thanks!

I have a decon container hidden in an evergreen tree that I coated with Gorilla Glue, then rolled in leaves, twigs and dirt. It's been out for 8 years and still has some of the original camo on it.

I use E6000 for EVERTHING. Works great on smooth surfaces (even glass) has a very low order, is clear, and can be found in just about any craft store.
Interesting. That looks very useful (and not just for geocache construction). How well does it hold up to exposure to the elements?

It's a silicone based glue the remains flexible after it dries. It seems to hold up well through winters, but we don't have super harsh winters.

I've conducted trial runs on various adhesives, testing their ability to hold natural items, (moss / bark / etc), to plastics, such as decon kits and Lock & Locks. Many adhesives failed, but there were a few that stood the test of time and significant temperature change, maintaining their adhesive qualities and their flexibility. Shoe GooP was one. It did a pretty good job. The only negative point it scored was that, as pieces of the natural camo dried up and broke off, the Shoe Goop became noticeably visible. Enough so that it drew the eye to the container, having the opposite intended effect for camouflage.

The adhesive that won those trials was Liquid Nails Roof Repair caulk. From ungodly hot to freezing cold, it retained both adhesion and flexibility. As a bonus, where the camo medium broke away from the caulk, the only thing visible was a blacking, misshapen blob, which actually helped hide the container. The only area it lost points was odor and messiness. This stuff stinks so bad you are forced to go outside to work with it, and it will permanently stain anything it touches, so rubber gloves and old clothes are a must.

I agree with Swineflew. JB Weld bonds just about anything. I've used it with great success. It's a two part apoxy. Just mix equal parts of each and slap it on just about anything. It also comes in a formula just for wood.

does it get brittle when frozen?

From my experience? Yes, it does. To date I haven't found any two part epoxy that retains flexibility.

I agree with Swineflew. JB Weld bonds just about anything. I've used it with great success. It's a two part apoxy. Just mix equal parts of each and slap it on just about anything. It also comes in a formula just for wood.

does it get brittle when frozen?

Yes, oh yes. In my part of the county, its really awesome to work with since it doesnt get that cold in the winter. If you are in cold county (that drop under zero all winter long, you might wanna try something else.