Tick Repellant

KayakGZ

Here in the northeast,we see a lot of log entries about tick-infested areas. I think I have found something that works: Tea Tree Oil. You can get it at health food stores, or wherever a large variety of vitamins and supplements are sold. Dilute 1 part of oil with two parts of water, and apply with a spray bottle. Do this outdoors-the aroma is very strong, but not unpleasant-like a really strong cup of tea. Since I started doing this, I have not found ONE tick on me!

Here in the northeast,we see a lot of log entries about tick-infested areas. I think I have found something that works: Tea Tree Oil. You can get it at health food stores, or wherever a large variety of vitamins and supplements are sold. Dilute 1 part of oil with two parts of water, and apply with a spray bottle. Do this outdoors-the aroma is very strong, but not unpleasant-like a really strong cup of tea. Since I started doing this, I have not found ONE tick on me!

Cool! I'm envious how easy it is for some people to repel ticks. It sure doesn't work for me. I had to get serious: Full outfit of Permethrin infused clothing, plus max DEET on exposed areas.

The problem is, if they aren't killed (which is what the Permethrin does), the ticks end up in the car, on backpacks, in the house, whatever, and I don't wear "repellants" at all times.

Edited by kunarion

Cool! I'm envious how easy it is for some people to repel ticks. It sure doesn't work for me. I had to get serious: Full outfit of Permethrin infused clothing, plus max DEET on exposed areas.

The problem is, if they aren't killed (which is what the Permethrin does), the ticks end up in the car, on backpacks, in the house, whatever, and I don't wear "repellants" at all times.

Get a good sized lint roller and go over your clothing and gear before you get back into the car. That should catch most of them.

Edited by Road Rabbit

With us it's usually me getting ticks, and at really weird places. I mean, the last one was at the backside of my knee. How did it get there? Never tried any repellents. When we're back home and do the check they get soaked in cooking oil for a bit and are then really easy to remove.

With us it's usually me getting ticks, and at really weird places. I mean, the last one was at the backside of my knee. How did it get there? Never tried any repellents. When we're back home and do the check they get soaked in cooking oil for a bit and are then really easy to remove.

You should try putting cooking oil on the backside of that knee before you leave home.

Tea Tree oil is the greatest thing ever! Before we step into any grass, I spray myself and kids down with a mixture of tea tree, lavender, spanish rosemary and citronella oils that I mixed together. We've been geocaching all summer - in shorts and flip flops and have yet to even SEE a tick - we live in backwoods PA where they're really bad too.

I spray my backpack with permethrin, and also spray it on the car seat before I head into the woods, so it's dry but effective by the time I get back...

tea tree oil in a spray bottle.... is it a glass bottle?? I use a few drops of tea tree oil in water as a facial toner and if I leave it in the plastic bathroom cup overnight, it will eat right through it. It does sound like it may work well, unfortunately my husband cant stand the smell of it so I don't think we will be trying it any time soon. Luckily we arent squeamish about the ticks, we are so used to it is has just become more of an annoyance than anything.

I haven't tried tea tree oil, though I have used a store bought repellent that contained Lemmon grass oil. It worked quite nicely for keeping ticks off of me in the Ocala National Forest. Sounds like tea tree oil might work just as well. Is there anywhere you can purchase it cheaply? We have a tiny bottle at home, (not sure why), and it was rather pricey.

I haven't tried tea tree oil, though I have used a store bought repellent that contained Lemmon grass oil. It worked quite nicely for keeping ticks off of me in the Ocala National Forest. Sounds like tea tree oil might work just as well. Is there anywhere you can purchase it cheaply? We have a tiny bottle at home, (not sure why), and it was rather pricey.

You might try diluting the oil.

http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/dilutingessentialoils.asp

You might try diluting the oil.

http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/dilutingessentialoils.asp

The OP mentions a 2/1 dilution using water.

After reading your link, I think I'll use oil.

I spray my backpack with permethrin, and also spray it on the car seat before I head into the woods, so it's dry but effective by the time I get back...

I do that too. I spray the floor (which under the mat is carpet), my shoes, hat, and any clothing I wear caching.

The spray lasts longer and kills them instead of repels, but can get expensive. I might try the Tree Oil too.

Good idea. A few years ago I came in from a hike in a tick infested area and threw my pack on the couch. I stripped down and threw clothing in the dryer to kill any ticks, then I hopped in the shower and did a full body tick check. AOK. That night I fell asleep on the couch while reading and woke up with an embedded tick on my chest. I suspect it rode in on my backpack, hopped off and when I laid down, had a smorgasbord.

Since then I always sprayed my equipment. Never thought of the car seat, but that is a good idea. Probably the rug too.

Before using any substance in the supplemental arena, be sure to check for potential adverse affects: I recall Tea Tree Oil being a topic of caution not too long ago. I have since been told that men should not apply it to their skin and pregnant women should not use it at all.

From Web MD

Applying products to the skin that contain tea tree oil along with lavender oil might not be safe for young boys who have not yet reached puberty. These products might have hormone effects that could disrupt the normal hormones in a boy’s body. In some cases, this has resulted in boys developing abnormal breast growth called gynecomastia. The safety of these products when used by young girls is not known.

Good idea. A few years ago I came in from a hike in a tick infested area and threw my pack on the couch. I stripped down and threw clothing in the dryer to kill any ticks, then I hopped in the shower and did a full body tick check. AOK. That night I fell asleep on the couch while reading and woke up with an embedded tick on my chest. I suspect it rode in on my backpack, hopped off and when I laid down, had a smorgasbord.

Since then I always sprayed my equipment. Never thought of the car seat, but that is a good idea. Probably the rug too.

Multiple bouts of LD, now all clothes and gear gets treated with permethrin.

Permethrin breaks down in Sunlight.

Unless you're placing a windshield shade in the car, seemed to me the intense light/heat created from the windshield would reduce the effectiveness of the spray (and additional monies spent spraying car seats).

- The stuff isn't cheap.

If everything's treated, ticks shouldn't be hitching a ride in the car.

Maybe it has to do with body chemistry, but I've tried every concoction known and some do repel to a degree, but I ended up bitten.

- Permethrin kills 'em.

I no longer use anything else. Nothing on my skin.

Everything but underwear gets sprayed and have been tick-free since.

- The stuff isn't cheap.

Since I started wearing the Permethrin clothing, ticks are gone. The number in the car is zero. But one of the things I considered spraying was the retractable seat belt. I didn't know that Permethrin "breaks down", but I did notice home-sprayed items don't kill ticks anywhere near as long as advertised. OK, I wash clothes more thoroughly than the instructions want. :anicute:

I've noticed a dearth of available pre-treated clothing. Should I be stocking up on the spray and the clothing, for when it's no longer sold?

- The stuff isn't cheap.

Since I started wearing the Permethrin clothing, ticks are gone. The number in the car is zero. But one of the things I considered spraying was the retractable seat belt. I didn't know that Permethrin "breaks down", but I did notice home-sprayed items don't kill ticks anywhere near as long as advertised. OK, I wash clothes more thoroughly than the instructions want. :anicute:

I've noticed a dearth of available pre-treated clothing. Should I be stocking up on the spray and the clothing, for when it's no longer sold?

We grab the 24oz bottles four or five at a clip and use 'em up during the Summer season.

- Stockpiling would cost us a fortune. :laughing:

We have clothes that are just for hiking.

We spray 'em every other wash when the weather's above fifty, as some new machines today (as you say) may wash more thoroughly than others.

Forty and below, we spray every four of so washings.

Insect shield/ bug off (and similar) clothing state they're treated for the "life of the garment" - whatever that is - and we no longer pay the big bucks for 'em.

Instead, sometimes I'll hit surplus and grab some BDU pants.

Our military has been treating their clothing with the stuff for years.

Same set-up (only to mil-std), material's soaked in a bath for some time before it's made into shirts/pants.