Asking permission

In Michigan, cemeteries are usually fine (depends a lot of the administration of that land), but do be aware that Michigan has (and enforces) a dusk-to-dawn law regarding activity in cemeteries.

The important thing is to meet with the property manager/administrator -- not the groundskeeper. It varies as to administration, some are city, township, county or private. Some may seem uncared for, but there is most usually somebody that is in charge of it. In the U.P. for example, some tiny cemeteries (abandoned) have been incorporated into Federal Forest properties -- thereby the administrator is the USFS (that particular Forest will have a local administrator), I am pretty sure this is applicable elsewhere through the U.S., also.

Face-to-face meetings are generally preferred. This allows for quick answering of questions that arise, and it is easier to convey sincerity that way. :)

Do your homework and be prepared for questions -- a lot of "what if" questions.

Parks are similar in nature to all of the above. Some are closed at night. Expect wide variations regarding acceptance/response and forms to fill out along with requirements to be met. This isn't always the case, but you should expect it. Many parks placements are especially muggle-prone.

You should also be prepared for out-and-out rejection.

The folks at MiGO have much info and help available.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I'm looking forward to putting a few caches in both city and county parks near us. I looked up the parks and recreation dept. phone number for each on the web... and called. In both instances the person I spoke with had to pass my question up the ladder a bit... but I received verbal permission from each. I haven't placed the caches yet... but read that I needed the name of the person that I spoke with so I have that ready for when I fill out the form. Hope that it works as easily for you, too!!!

Our home state is Iowa so take that into account, it may be different in your own state.

For us, when we wanted to place geocaches in our local parks we arranged for a few minute presentation to the Park and Recreation Board.

When we wanted to place geocaches in the local town and pioneer cemeteries, we arranged for a few minute presentation to the respective Boards.

Our mind set was we were not just trying to get permission...we were trying to educate other folks about geocaching.

We always showed an example of the webpage write-up and brought containers so everyone could see.

Our park and cemetery caches always state we have permission from XYZ Board and may include a link as well.

Since then, we have been approached by members asking us to place caches in other areas we did not know about and some have even joined the hobby as well.

Short version - It can be more than just about asking permission.

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob