Inauguration Tablets and Markers

Recently, I have had to deny waymarks in the Commercial Commemorations category as the markers presented were to commemorate the opening of something. These markers did not have who dedicated, only the date, name of the company and there interesting information. I was excited to see a new category called Grand Opening, however this category does not fit for all those markers out there that commemorate the year zero. I have been wanting to remedy that for a few years now. The problem is these markers which I have found or have been presented to me do not have the "by a person" component requirement for that category.

Therefore, I would like to develop this category and wanted some volunteers for the officership. Clearly the category is not redundant. It would take precedence over the Signs of History category as they would no longer go there. They are found in every nation and every clime. They are prevalent but not annoyingly so. I hope we can get some volunteers and get this thing rolling. Thanks!

Eric

Eric - I'm willing to help as an officer if you like and if this category is viewed favorably by others. To ensure I truly understand the "mission" of this new category: what I think you're describing are signs/plaques that describe the opening, dedication or establishment of "something" (a building, park, bridge, etc.) but without mention of a specific individual who served as "Master of Ceremonies" for the opening event. I also assume we're talking about a marker that is intended to be permanent (not a "Grand Opening July 2013" banner hanging from the entrance to a grocery store).

What might be unfortunate is that this idea can't somehow be combined with the Grand Openings category. It almost seems like the Grand Openings category is arbitrarily defined a bit too narrowly, as I'm not sure why "by a person" opening markers should necessarily be a whole, separate category from "not opened by a person" markers. Although maybe the spirit of the Grand Openings category is that the individual is the true subject while here "what's being opened" is the focus. If so, to avoid duplication it seems like this new category would need to specify that the "by a person" markers will not be accepted here.

Dan

This does sound like a good idea. As was pointed out, the definition will be very important as it will help waymarkers distinguish what would fit into this category rather than another one. I'm interested in helping.

David

Eric - I'm willing to help as an officer if you like and if this category is viewed favorably by others. To ensure I truly understand the "mission" of this new category: what I think you're describing are signs/plaques that describe the opening, dedication or establishment of "something" (a building, park, bridge, etc.) but without mention of a specific individual who served as "Master of Ceremonies" for the opening event. I also assume we're talking about a marker that is intended to be permanent (not a "Grand Opening July 2013" banner hanging from the entrance to a grocery store).

What might be unfortunate is that this idea can't somehow be combined with the Grand Openings category. It almost seems like the Grand Openings category is arbitrarily defined a bit too narrowly, as I'm not sure why "by a person" opening markers should necessarily be a whole, separate category from "not opened by a person" markers. Although maybe the spirit of the Grand Openings category is that the individual is the true subject while here "what's being opened" is the focus. If so, to avoid duplication it seems like this new category would need to specify that the "by a person" markers will not be accepted here.

Dan

Dan,

I am in agreement with what you have written and clearly you have an understanding of what the category entails. Welcome aboard!

This does sound like a good idea. As was pointed out, the definition will be very important as it will help waymarkers distinguish what would fit into this category rather than another one. I'm interested in helping.

David

Welcome aboard. We have three officers so I will write up the category unless anyone has any objections.

E

I'm glad to see you guys take this category on. I've seen these kind of markers all over the place, but I have yet to find one that fits the Grand Opening category requirements. Furthermore, I've never really thought of these as historical markers. Besides, some states historical marker groups have such a narrow focus on what qualifies, I don't think they would include them anyway. Now, I wish I'd been taking pictures of them, but I haven't because I never really thought that they fit anywhere. Looking forward to the category.

I have recently had a Grand opening waymark approved. I was surprised that the category officers asked me to write up some history about the person who opened the site. It may have been some completely random person with very little other records in history. Thankfully in my case it was the Prime minister of my country and information was easily sourced.

Is it not possible for a category to change some of its *required fields to optional? I think that if it is possible then the first port of call for this idea would be to get the "grand opening" category officers involved in this forum, and if that is not possible then I would support this new category/join the group.

Ugh! I cannot think of an appropriate title for the new category. I was thinking perhaps "Opening Commemorations" or "Inauguration Commemorations" (which is my first choice). What do you think?

Some possibilities would be "Opening Dedication Plaques" or "Opening Dedication Markers" although somehow make it clear that an engraved stone is just as acceptable as a plaque or sign.

I'm still looking for a category where I can put in those foundation stones.

Could they be included here?

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are mean with "foundation stones", you should be able to waymark those in the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category as long as they have a year they were placed. I am thinking what you are calling foundation stones would be same as cornerstones.

I applaud the initiative taken to create a new category but have some reservations about voting yes for a category whose potential waymarks should be added to the already existing Grand Opening category. Granted, this issue should have been dealt with through the peer review process in order to limit the proliferations of categories inviting almost identical waymarks. Now that Grand Opening has been approved as a category, however, the creators of that category should perhaps be asked if they agree to accept all waymarks related to the opening, inauguration, unveiling or dedication of a building. It would suffice to add a drop down menu to allow contributors to identify the action taking place.

Depending on the words written / engraved on the plaque or monument, the contributors would be required to provide information about the building / object in question as well as about the person conducting the opening if the name of the said person was identified. Considering that very well-known individuals may have been at the opening without their names being listed on the plaque, it should be possible to confirm by other means, newspaper / internet articles, etc., that the person who was present was there in relation to the opening of a building.

Will these submissions be accepted in the “Grand Opening” category? I hope so, but from reading the forum, they may not. In my view, it would be preferable to group all of these waymarks together because they all relate to the same thing, i.e., the opening, inauguration, unveiling or dedication of a new / renovated building or other structure.

Weathervane,

I'm with you. So, I vote for you to ask them if they will include this category. If not, then we will go ahead and continue with its development.

Tante.Hossi,

What in the world is a foundation stone? Can you give us an example including a description, the text, and its location.

Like other waymarkers, I wanted the Grand Openings category to include the Waymarking proposed here. I've had a submission rejected for reasons cited already. To add to the confusion, here is my question. Would Grand Openings waymarks actually be accepted in this new category?

Weathervane,

I'm with you. So, I vote for you to ask them if they will include this category. If not, then we will go ahead and continue with its development.

Tante.Hossi,

What in the world is a foundation stone? Can you give us an example including a description, the text, and its location.

Math Teacher

E-mail sent.

Well, tell me what you want to do before I write it up. I personally do not care one way or the other. Do we or do we not accept submissions which fit into the existing category? What say you all?

WV, Thanks for sending the e-mail. Depending on their reply, this may be all moot.

Eric

Vane wrought to the officership a few days ago so we are in a holding pattern for about 4 more days. If there is no reply or a negative reply we will move forward unless someone has a serious objection.

I received an initial reply from razalas indicating some interest but the need to consult with his officers first. I have not yet received a subsequent reply, so, in consideration of the initiatve put forth that will allow waymarks not captured by Grand Opening to be submitted, I would ask Math Teacher to proceed as intended.

Should a reply from razalas be received in the meanting, I will forward it asap.

Vane wrought to the officership a few days ago so we are in a holding pattern for about 4 more days. If there is no reply or a negative reply we will move forward unless someone has a serious objection.

I received an initial reply from razalas indicating some interest but the need to consult with his officers first. I have not yet received a subsequent reply, so, in consideration of the initiatve put forth that will allow waymarks not captured by Grand Opening to be submitted, I would ask Math Teacher to proceed as intended.

Should a reply from razalas be received in the meanting, I will forward it asap.

Moving forward, I need officership..please indicate if you will be an officer in this category. You would be responsible for designing, writing and implementing the category by way of consensus.

Following reply received from razalas:

razalas says,

"Hi Weathervane, after contacting the officers one has not yet responded but the others agreed, so in the next days I will change the category description to accept all plaques and not only just those that have the name of someone. I would appreciate that you join the group as an officer, thank you. Best regards, razalas"

This is good news for a variety of reasons. Thanks razalas for considering and agreeing to our request. Please let us know once you have amended your category so that we can start submitting waymarks. I will reply to your e-mail re: joining your team as an officer.

Weathervane