Geocaching on Star Trek Nemesis...??

Fish

When I saw that the first thing I thought was "Hey, thats a great idea for a cache!" Next cache I think I'll work on is a multi cache, with a Star Trek: Nemisis theme where you have to hunt for B-4s body parts to complete the cache. Not sure how I will make the Kolorans jump out chase the cachers while shooting at them though....

The Mountain Bike Guy from Joplin MO

------------------------------------

Long Live Long Rides

Went to see "Nemesis" today. Opening dessert scene: girlfriend turns to me & says "Don't even say the word Geocaching!"

The movie was good if you didn't mind it borrowing every Sci-Fi or already used Trek cliche ever filmed!

My top 10 list of Nemesis cliches:

10. "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome dessert chase scene" icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

9. "Ooops, found another data android, guess what - it's a trap". icon_rolleyes.gif

(doesn't Picard even say something to the effect of 'I've got a bad feeling about this'?!)

8. "cloned another lead player" icon_rolleyes.gif

7. "someone falls off the catwalk fight scene" icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

(didn't another famous captain die that way?)

Kept waiting for the vampire to say "I'm your father Will..."

6. "people sucked into space through a breach"

5. the ol Star Wars "convenient trash chute during a laser battle in the corridor" icon_rolleyes.gif

4. "crashed another Enterprise"icon_rolleyes.gif

(ok that was kinda cool but it's funny how they lost all shields so one blast rips open the front of the bridge but crashing a ship into a ship only results in a few bumps!).

3. Even the "the ultimate weapon takes a few minutes to charge so the hero can fight the bad guy in the mean time & still save the day in the nick of time" cliche was used! icon_rolleyes.gif

2. and who can forget the ol "Bad guy with weapon rushes weaponless good guy who uses a piece of convenient pipe/tubing/construction material/whatever to run him through" cliche icon_rolleyes.gif

&

My all time favorite Nemesis cliche.....

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

1. "Main character (Data) tranfers all memories into other character just B4 (pun intended) he dies so that he can be 'reborn' later"

Hmmm... sounds just like the Search for Spock!

There were others, like the turncoat enemy/co-conspirator, sending data in the android's place to fool the enemy with the wrong intel, the chief adversary's body breaking down due to accelerated aging from the cloning process, the invasion of the telepath's mind who then turns it to the good guy's advantage, space fight in a nebulae (rift, whatever) that happens to blind sensors (communications, whatever), bad guys showing up to save the day, etc, etc,. I thought that this post was getting long winded though....

I liked the movie. Just thought they could have been more imaginative with the plot. Goin to a Trek Con this weekend. Guess this will be the big talk of the event. icon_biggrin.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

[This message was edited by Crusso on December 29, 2002 at 09:55 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

2. and who can forget the ol "Bad guy with weapon rushes weaponless good guy who uses a piece of convenient pipe/tubing/construction material/whatever to run him through" cliche

"...the oldest trick in the book, and I fell for it." icon_smile.gif

This movie had some good moments and some cool effects, but geesh, they cut 40 minutes and they could still cut 40 more! Wake me when the heart-to-heart talks with your evil clone are over, Picard. sheesh. Story-wise, I think it's the weakest of the even-numbered films.

And, yes, a very cool cache-mobile, but:

1. Since when are there cars in Star Trek?

2. At what point did the Federation decide it was OK to trash the ecosystems of alien worlds by wildly off-roading over the shrubbery? :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

Actually, if you watch the old movie: The Shawshank Redemption (SP?) - That has a geocache (sans GPSr) in it. Morgan Freeman goes and unearths it twords the end of the movie... Not bad for back then.

Excellent film, although I think technically that cache would qualify more as a Letterbox icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

Actually, if you watch the old movie: The Shawshank Redemption (SP?) - That has a geocache (sans GPSr) in it. Morgan Freeman goes and unearths it twords the end of the movie... Not bad for back then.

Tim Robins even left a great hint! ". . . under an old oak tree. . . its along a rock wall under a rock that has no business being there. . ." Morgan even bummed a ride to get there!

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif

I wasn't geocaching when I saw this movie, that scene may have help, but this movie was just plain awful.

My favorite part was having the "ultimate weapon" that would destroy all organic material run directly behind the captains chair with absolutely no covering of any kind.

It was full of horrible dialog and a had a lame storyline. How bad was that wedding scene?

Sorry...had to rant.

didn't one of the main characters (Riker I believe) make the comment "they should make Rom ulan ale illegal"?

hmmmm..... I seem to remember one of the older movies having the same line after a dinner with the Klingons.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

quote:
Originally posted by OlBluesguy:

How come with all that high tech weaponry they miss so much?

I always notice that, it happens all the time in Star Trek! You'd think Star Fleet training just told them how to push the fire button!

The Mountain Bike Guy from Joplin MO

------------------------------------

Long Live Long Rides

quote:

I love ST-TNG and have the whole series on DVD, but I must admit,

I can only figure that sometime in the aftermath of the atomic wars, all knowledge of tactical small arms, and hand-to-hand combat was lost, and Starfleet had to train their security personnel by watching 1950's TV Westerns.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:

I love ST-TNG and have the whole series on DVD, but I must admit,

I can only figure that sometime in the aftermath of the atomic wars, all knowledge of tactical small arms, and hand-to-hand combat was lost, and Starfleet had to train their security personnel by watching 1950's TV Westerns.

ApK

It's really hard to imagine somone, like bridge crew for example, actually trying to fire a weapon with one hand and expecting to be accurate. In addition my sister always wanted to know why Data couldn't aim his weapon precisely enough to hit the 6 inches of bodypart that's always sticking out from behind the cover the enemy was using.

quote:
Originally posted by FFC:

In addition my sister always wanted to know why Data couldn't aim his weapon precisely enough to hit the 6 inches of bodypart that's always sticking out from behind the cover the enemy was using.

...and that's the well trained enemy. Here's a passage quoted directly from the Starfleet Security Corps CQB Training Manual (which I just made up):

"When engaged in a hand phaser fight, it is important to remember several points.

Do not shoot at an adversary until you come COMPLETELY out from any cover you many have taken. Your uniform is a brightly colored target that will surely draw enemy fire, and will help insure that any microscopic life forms on the object you have hidden behind will not be damaged. Remember the Prime Directive!

Although your phaser is an energy weapon whose output travels at the speed of light. It is still possible to duck out of the way of an approaching phaser blast. Remember to rely on this technique often!

Finally, Your phaser can fire a continuous sustained beam that be easily aimed and directed at your target like a firehose. It is VITAL that you ONLY use this capability for such utility tasks as heating rocks and cutting through metal, NEVER in COMBAT. Use only short, imprecise pulses when your life is on the line."

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Hey Trekkie's. Why is it that everyone on a ship is an officer?_

No enlisted? Other than Chief O'Brien, on DS9. The lowest rank ever shown is an Ensign.

Actually they play fast and loose with O'Brien's status. He flopped back and forth between officer and CPO a lot until they just decided to make up the title of "Chief of Operations" on Deep Space Nine.

Some writers or producers (non-Navy types, obviously...probably Brannon Braga, the creep) apparently decided that "Transporter Chief" is is job, and has nothing to do with his rate, so he's seen wearing officers insignia and being called "Sir" quite a bit, IIRC, despite being explicitly called an enlisted Chief Petty Officer by Worf's father.

There are however, a lot of enlisted folks, though. Just about anyone you see being called "Crewman" is enlisted, and one of them was featured in the episode "Drumhead," where at his inquiry, he mentions not getting into the Academy and joining the Starfleet training program for enlisted personnel.

I guess the direct answer would be, though, like in the real service, those that are on the ship probably don't fraternize much with the officers (who are the ones followed by the TV cameras....)

And, when everybody in society is a highly-educated knowledge worker and machines and computers do all the grunt work, who needs the so many enlisted rates?

If the bridge of the Enterprise were the bridge of a Navy ship, the officers would still be there, and instead of pressing buttons on consoles, they'd be giving orders to enlisted types.

Of course, this is all off the top of my head...I'm not THAT big a fan, and I'd have to check the technical manual or Trek encyclopedia for more details.

Or was it a rhetorical question.

icon_biggrin.gif

ApK

I don't consider myself a Trekkie by the usual definition, but I'll try and answer. If I remember correctly Gene R. believed that all of those abroad a starship would be educated and highly skilled, all educated at the Academy. I thought it was Transporter Chief for O'Brien.

I guees once you automate the starship equivalent of barnacle scraping and painting on a navy ship what do you need enlisted men for?

I started my previous reply before APK posted, but finished well after. Could it be that those aboard the Enterprise are typically more skilled than aboard the average starship? Even when they are walking down the hall it always seems like they are passing other officers.

Ah well, to really do this conversation justice on my part would require a Friday or Saturday night and a few beers. Given that incentive I could tell you my theory on how Gene and Isaac were both sent here from the future to increase our acceptance of developing technology and to guide it in the proper direction...

Their "GPS" is more advanced than ours. GPS's of the future will be called tricorders and they will tell you exactly where the cache is, what's inside it, and what kind of box it is on most planets before you get within 10 meters of the cache.

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Just saw the movie a couple days ago for the first time.

I thought it was pretty good for a Trek movie. icon_razz.gif

Why do all Trek movies/TV shows seem like a 50's western? Cause that is what Roddenbury created them as! He said in many interviews that Star Trek was a western in space. Deep Space Nine was compared to Stagecoach on more than one occasion.

I really liked how the ships were able to crash into each other when they were supposed to have some shields left. When my wife asks why they allow things like that in the moveis I simply tell her "Because it was in the script".

Although they killed the wrong character. Westley Crusher should have been killed a very long time ago!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

Haha! That's funny...they should have killed Wesley Crusher...at least then he would have been in the movie other than sitting at a table.

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.