puzzle, coded, crypto caches

snapplez

what caches have you experienced that involved some type of solving, decoding, decrypting?

i am talking about caches where solving the location is a game all in itself. these are also caches that might be fun for a person to "solve" even though they may not be able to physically find the cache.

my interest stems from my own *very* challenging puzzle cache which no one has solved:

the dragonfly scroll

i invite anyone, anywhere to solve it.

I did a search on "Myst" and got some good cache sites that might give you some ideas. They were too numerous to list here. Just do the search. Good luck!

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

Do the search on the forums, not as a keyword search on the Hide & Find page. Sorry for the omission of that information!

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

That dragonfly scroll thing is some strange. I LOVE it! In my area there are a few:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16651

I enjoy any of the mathematics puzzle type caches as well.

This one Ireally liked, an old math puzzle based on right-angled triangles.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20187

[This message was edited by Zartimus on August 30, 2002 at 09:27 AM.]

Check out a couple of these examples by El Diablo ... You'll understand why we named him "EL DIABLO"

The fourth of July Cache

The Devil's Cache

They're member only caches ... due to some unfortunate abuse by a newbie ... but they are great puzzles to solve.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by snapplez:

what caches have you experienced that involved some type of solving, decoding, decrypting?

icon_wink.gifHere's Friche Terre (Members only) that's being a stinker or the mild stinker Yee Inet. Bell in the Mediterranean could be the real stinker. icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by Zephyrus on September 03, 2002 at 08:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Zephyrus on September 03, 2002 at 09:10 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by snapplez:

icon_wink.gifHere's Friche Terre (Members only) that's being a stinker or the mild stinker Yee Inet. Bell in the Mediterranean could be the real stinker. icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by Zephyrus on September 03, 2002 at 08:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Zephyrus on September 03, 2002 at 09:10 AM.]

Check out Blood and Guts. Not only will you travel over 200 miles around and about Northern Virginia, but you'll also be faced with some of the most challenging puzzles found in just about any cache. But solving the puzzles might be the easy part, figuring out what the puzzle is, is the hard part. What you need to knwo to solve this cache is good map reading skills, encryption, local and US history and celestrial navigation.

I have hidden two puzzle caches. 'Walk Like An Egyptian' < http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41571 > is a multi-leg webcam cache where the first leg requires that you decipher an Egyptian hieroglyph and the last leg requires that you know how to project a waypoint from the second leg (which is a sphinx). Even more puzzling than that is 'East is up, in the Eastwoods Enigma' < http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45535 > where the cache finder has to figure out a physical clue that is actually a fheirl znc bs gur gerrf va gur cnex juvpu jrer ahzorerq jura gur pvgl jnf qbvat fbzr erabingvbaf va gur cnex . Using this, you can determine the actual coordinates of the cache! icon_eek.gif

Scott of Team GeoDillo

Check this one: The Lost Aztec Treasure.

Be sure to view the AZTEC alphabet needed to reat the clues. 4.2 miles of strenuous mountain hiking too. Only a few have tried it so war, but read the comments.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

This cache, in Charlotte NC, was quite challenging --- and fun!

The multi is a trivia game with questions about the game "Monopoly". Each multiple choice question has two possible answers, with a different set of coordintates.

If you choose the correct answer, you're led straight to the next question. But if you're wrong, you're led to an additional stage.

If you get all trivia questions wrong, it's a nine stage multi. Answer them all correctly, and it's a five-stage multi, the last stage being the cache.

57027_1500.gif

Check out:

Cipher Sites, Cipher Creek, Circular Reasoning, FBI Quiz, Magic Trig, IQ Test, IQ Test #2, Double Agent, Double Trouble, A Little Logic, Center of the Tracy Triange, Coffee Central, Sounds Good, Black Box, Operation Futari, Ransom Note, More than Just Math, The Big Picture

...all in California

Zartimus,

I'm starting to think I made Confession? too hard, since no one has gotten it yet. My intent was to make it a head scratcher, but doable. I emailed a clue to some of the local cachers I know are working on it. Let me know if you would like a hint also. Based on the feedback, I may add the hint permanently.

Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges -- Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!

- Rudyard Kipling "The Explorer"

Solving this one was easier than finding it. Roadrunner's Revenge: Net Serve http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=25770

This one was harder but we haven't yet gone to look for it. 19th Hole http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=16304

We're stumped on this one for now. Mission: Silica Currency http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45305

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Get Smart - Tequila Mockingbird involves a code. You find parts of the key in the caches, then have to figure out how the code works. Not too hard, but a nice little brain-stretch.

Some of the Not Tellin' series involve solving codes and riddles. I won't say which ones, though. One of them is a riddle but doesn't appear to be. That one is very nasty and has frightened some people off of the rest of the series.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

Puzzles, Coded, Crypto??? LIVERMORE, CA

Here's a list of caches that I've either done or I know how to solve but can't (for one reason or another).

Locked in a Cubical

El Camino Viejo

Centroid of the Tracy Triangle

Mr. Toad's Code Cache

Big Liar

The Golden Number

Plumbers Other Friend

Tour de Farce

Coffee Central

You Know Who?

PI aka (no one's backyard)

Schugobble

Double Agent

Double Trouble

Margarite's Coding Cache

IQ Test

Magic Trig

A Mad Mad Mad Mad Cache

Test of Genius

Black Box

Pythagorus Likes Equilaterals Too!

Going to Dizzying Lengths

The Big Picture

They're all great!

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg