FTF Prize

Kissyfurs

I recently went after a newly published cache in my area, hoping to score my second FTF. The cache was listed as a regular size cache, so I brought along two (what I consider to be) nice pieces of SWAG to trade- a moleskin notebook and a small maglite flashlight from a set that I bought in bulk. Despite the cache being published the night before, I was lucky enough to get the FTF. It was noted on the cache page that there was a FTF prize, and it turned out to be a $10 GC to a local convenience store.

The catch, however, was that the cache was one of the hollowed out geoching.com logs with a very small space inside- not what I was expecting at all for a regular size cache. Neither of the two pieces of SWAG that I brought along would fit and there was nothing else in the cache aside from the logbook.

I signed the log and took the GC- and I noted on the cache that the SWAG I brought wouldn't fit and for future cachers to be aware that while the container may be regular size, the hiding space within is certainly not. I stopped by later in the day and dropped off a few carabineers that I purchased at the local dollar store. I kind of feel like I gipped the cache of a good prize which leads me to my two questions:

1. Is the FTF "prize" (assuming there is one) considered to be SWAG and subject to the trade even/up rules?

2. Any ideas for small smaller "good" swag that I can put in caches of this size?

I recently went after a newly published cache in my area, hoping to score my second FTF. The cache was listed as a regular size cache, so I brought along two (what I consider to be) nice pieces of SWAG to trade- a moleskin notebook and a small maglite flashlight from a set that I bought in bulk. Despite the cache being published the night before, I was lucky enough to get the FTF. It was noted on the cache page that there was a FTF prize, and it turned out to be a $10 GC to a local convenience store.

The catch, however, was that the cache was one of the hollowed out geoching.com logs with a very small space inside- not what I was expecting at all for a regular size cache. Neither of the two pieces of SWAG that I brought along would fit and there was nothing else in the cache aside from the logbook.

I signed the log and took the GC- and I noted on the cache that the SWAG I brought wouldn't fit and for future cachers to be aware that while the container may be regular size, the hiding space within is certainly not. I stopped by later in the day and dropped off a few carabineers that I purchased at the local dollar store. I kind of feel like I gipped the cache of a good prize which leads me to my two questions:

1. Is the FTF "prize" (assuming there is one) considered to be SWAG and subject to the trade even/up rules?

2. Any ideas for small smaller "good" swag that I can put in caches of this size?

1. Is the FTF "prize" (assuming there is one) considered to be SWAG and subject to the trade even/up rules? In our neck o' the woods, an FTF prize is for the FTF, and not considered swag.

2. Any ideas for small smaller "good" swag that I can put in caches of this size? Gift Cards?? LOL Actually, carabiners are always cool swag. Good on you for going back and dropping them off.

Howdy......

The FTF prize is just that! You do not have to trade for it.

It's yours for being quick and able!

Vern / Foothills Drifter... B)

I've never seen an FTF prize, but my understanding matches the others. If it's an FTF prize, then you don't need to trade for it. You can always leave something if you want, but you don't need to.

And I've never seen this product in real life, but based on the description, I'd list it as a small, with a note that the camouflage (outer container) is regular size.

As far as good small trade items go, I trade only for personal signature items left by other geocachers. My geocaching kit contains a number of small items that I leave in exchange for these signature items, such as foreign coins (from friends who travel out of the country, or from the bulk bin at a local coin shop), ready-to-hide Bison tubes, unregistered TB tags, and small ceramic figurines.

I kind of feel like I gipped the cache of a good prize

Leave the items in any decent cache that fits. If I do something like that, I'm kinda vague about what I placed. "Left goodies" or whatever.

As mentioned, an "FTF Prize" is usually considered a gift. But when I've taken something, FTF gift or not, I leave an item of equal or greater value*. Don't worry, nobody else does. :anicute:

*Except for active Trackables that I'm moving along.