Identify a 'London 2006' geocoin

nevadanick

Over the last month my geo-partner and coin addict has acquired 3 London 2006 Phone Box coins. 2 are the shaped phone box coin and 1 is the round coin.

What is the difference (besides the obvious)? Were they done for separate purposes? Were they for an event? Any insight on why a shaped and a round version were minted ?

The shaped coin seems to be the antique copper finish. The round is a shiny silver but the old thread about these doesn't mention a round silver version and stated there were only 675 minted. Not clear if the 675 was of one or both versions. She has a shaped numbers 221 and 654. The round one is numbered 194. All are GC.com trackable. Were the round coins part of the 675? or were they a separate numbered sequence?

Any help would be appreciated.

397d1182-3305-4dde-a296-4ae80b199017.jpg

03a07f33-b8ac-4e0c-82e4-73fb23de9e05.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the two kinds of coins were made to please the purists with a traditional round coin and the progressives who liked the advent of the shaped coin. Hogwild Stuff made several coins (Nat. Park series, capital cities - Rome, London, Sydney) in both the traditional and shaped configuration.

If I'm not mistaken the two kinds of coins were made to please the purists with a traditional round coin and the progressives who liked the advent of the shaped coin. Hogwild Stuff made several coins (Nat. Park series, capital cities - Rome, London, Sydney) in both the traditional and shaped configuration.

Correct.

Coins were minted by hogwildstuff.org

Both came out the same time. Although the Phone booth was later reminted (100 of them) for a Special Geocoinfest Pittsburgh edition. I don't know the original minting numbers but the shaped one was more limited at the time.

Original thread