Etrex 10 - How do I "MANUALLY" put in coords?

geofound1

Hello,

I love my new Etrex 10 but, nobody including their support can understand my ?

Quite simply, how do I put coordinates into it manually?

Example: Somebody out on a caching adventure gives me coordinates on a piece of paper.

How do I punch them into my Etrex 10?

The answers I received were, "why would you want to do that?"

I thought it was obvious?

Thanks

Geo

Hello,

I love my new Etrex 10 but, nobody including their support can understand my ?

Quite simply, how do I put coordinates into it manually?

Example: Somebody out on a caching adventure gives me coordinates on a piece of paper.

How do I punch them into my Etrex 10?

The answers I received were, "why would you want to do that?"

I thought it was obvious?

Thanks

Geo

Well, of course you will want to manually enter waypoints into your gps. It's pretty standard to need to do that for finding stages of a multicache, for example.

Page 9 of the owners manual might be of some help to you:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf

B.

Not a problem.

First and foremost, if you have only the "quick start" manual -- throw it away. If you do not have the full manual,

download it here .

Take note that this manual is for the '10, '20 and '30; so pay attention that you may not interpret some things into your unit that it does not have, i.e. electronic compass.

To hand-enter coordinates, you must enter it as a waypoint -- a geocache is nothing other than a waypoint but listed as a geocache on geocaching.com (or possibly another website). Geocaches entered (under a geocache format) have specific icons assigned to them.

You may assign icons, but just because you do so does not necessarily allow the eTrex to "think" it is a geocache.

The procedure is detailed on page 9 of the manual. Any electronics manual seems "disconnected" when you start out, but it will become familiar to you as you use the unit.

Use Creating a Waypoint AND Editing a Waypoint (to change the name and coordinates).

Generically, most any GPSr use to add waypoints is:

Mark your current position; alter those fields to correspond to your info; [save] if that option exists; you can then jump right into altering again for the next waypoint (only if you have Saved already)...

If you have no [save] option, simply start again with a newly "Marked" waypoint, repeating the process.

Clear as mud, right? The key to it all is practice, practice and then practice some more.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

BTW, to correct a little misinformation, you do not have to make a waypoint to go to a location using coordinates. Simply go to the menu and click on Where To? then use the joystick to go down to Coordinates and select that. You may now edit the coordinates showing there until they match what you want, and select Done.

You will probably want to make a waypoint to Go To, but you do not have to.

Have fun!

BTW, to correct a little misinformation, you do not have to make a waypoint to go to a location using coordinates. Simply go to the menu and click on Where To? then use the joystick to go down to Coordinates and select that. You may now edit the coordinates showing there until they match what you want, and select Done.

You will probably want to make a waypoint to Go To, but you do not have to.

Have fun!