Attack Of the Mugglers

Gooniemanalpha

:rolleyes: So in my limited time less than a year I have noticed muggling. I have seen it on mine and heard it talked about a lot. There is suppose to even be a cache in Federal Way WA that a muggler checks and steals trackables. These are people that know the game and seek to steal or destroy caches. I think one way to lessen this is to remind people myself included to be extra stealthy. I have had 5 this summer so far gone. I love the game and know what hard work we all put into it. :rolleyes:

There has been at least one person who was prosecuted for stealing caches.

There are just some people who have so much pain inside them that they can't feel pleasure unless they cause others pain.

Let's just be glad they aren't out shooting people or something.

Having someone steal our caches is annoying (I have to go replace two of mine right now that were stolen in the manner you suggest) but it's not physically hurting any of us, and for that I am glad.

Isn't it about time that to get over this them versus us mentality? Those who do not geocache are not the enemy and there is no reason to fear and hide from them while enjoying a perfectly legal recreational activity. When was the last time you saw a jogger, cyclist or skateboarder dodge out of sight then run from tree to tree so no one saw them. Playing catch in the park? Quick hide the ball! Someones coming, hide your toys kids! How ridiculous is that?

Being "stealthy" only draws more attention, and suspicion to yourself (and ultimately the cache) than acting normally. People are curious. If you are seen finding a cache, embrace and educate people about geocaching. Once you explain the game to them, most are very open minded about it. You may even interest someone in trying out something new!

As far as why? A cache that is disturbed frequently or draws negative reactions towards those seeking it is in a poor location and should be moved or even better removed. I concur that if Trackables are all that is going missing, that is the work of another cacher. They have no value to anyone but a geocacher.

Being "stealthy" only draws more attention, and suspicion to yourself (and ultimately the cache) than acting normally. People are curious. If you are seen finding a cache, embrace and educate people about geocaching. Once you explain the game to them, most are very open minded about it.

Yep. This is what we do.

Being "stealthy" only draws more attention, and suspicion to yourself (and ultimately the cache) than acting normally. People are curious. If you are seen finding a cache, embrace and educate people about geocaching. Once you explain the game to them, most are very open minded about it.

Yep. This is what we do.

+1. Me too.