Noticing the Shrooms'

AlphaOp

I recently got interested in Mycology, the study of mushrooms and fungi. I remmeber being out on quite a few good walks, and finding various species of fungi.

Is anyone else interested in mushrooms they find when they go hiking? Or take a guidebook with them? It's really fun. I'm working on a book myself about mushrooms that grow around Erie, PA.

coral.JPG

shroom4.JPG

morel.jpg

Don't eat the Morels, send'um to me please!

Used to hunt them as a kid in Ohio, I don't think they grow here in Mississippi.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

[This message was edited by Dersu on March 17, 2003 at 02:45 AM.]

[This message was edited by Dersu on March 17, 2003 at 02:51 AM.]

Yep, I was a Conservation & Ecology majpr in college and took a class just on mushrooms. Very interesting. Had a recipe for making Chicke Paprikash wihtout the chicken just use the chicken of the woods mushroom!

There's mushroom festival in NJ where professional and amatuer mycologists get together. I went a couple years back. I can't remember the name of it.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Heh, it's kinda neat, I started looking for them when I got a digital camera, they seemed like really neat picture subjects, and that sparked my interest in them.

I hope that I find some Morels this spring! ;-)

Just make sure you avoid poisionous false morels, they contain the same poisionous chemical that is in rocket fuel!

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

This one wasn't large but I thought it was interesting.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/14224_400.jpg

This one´s called Schopftintling in german(Coprinus comatus). American name: "Shaggy Mane". As long as they are completely closed they taste really good, but their cap tends to dissolve into ink really fast.

I was a complete mushroom-nut when I was young (well I´m still one today, just don´t have as much opportunities to go searching now).

Has anyone ever found this mushroom on a treck:

Krause Glucke

Finding these used to be the high-point of a mushroom-season, since they are really huge (up to 40 cm / 3 kilogram), pretty rare and mighty tasty.

I recognize some of those mushrooms. The one 6 posts above is indeed an inky cap. They are delicious cooked before the spores have turned to ink like the one in the picture. All three of the inky cap species are edible and there is not much chance of mistakeing them, so it is a pretty safe one to eat.

The one posted by Ramness570 with his GPS sitting on it, I believe is a death cap or death angel. In the aminita species, very few people which have injested these have lived to tell of it.

The second picture of the very first post, by The Alpha Operator, is also in the Aminita species and is a very close relative or a color variation of Aminita muscaria or fly agaric, the red mushroom with white spots that Lewis Carol put pictures of in Alice and Wonderland and was said to have eaten before he wrote it. It is a very hallucegenic mushroom, but causes kidney damage.

I don't really know much about wild mushrooms, but I know enough just to eat morels, puffballs and inky caps which are all distinctive.

Early to bed, early to rise,

Hunt all day and make up lies.

Just be careful with those puffballs. They can sometimes be amanitas that haven't shot up yet. Yeah, I spent a lot of time in a local mushroom club when I was growing up. You really do need to be careful. I have gotten sick from eating too many wild mushrooms at a banquet and not knowing which one was the culprit!

--Peter

quote:
All three of the inky cap species are edible and there is not much chance of mistakeing them, so it is a pretty safe one to eat.

The one posted by Ramness570 with his GPS sitting on it, I believe is a death cap or death angel. In the aminita species, very few people which have injested these have lived to tell of it.

The second picture of the very first post, by The Alpha Operator, is also in the Aminita species and is a very close relative or a color variation of Aminita muscaria or fly agaric, the red mushroom with white spots that Lewis Carol put pictures of in Alice and Wonderland and was said to have eaten before he wrote it. It is a very hallucegenic mushroom, but causes kidney damage.

Well, a couple of things here. That is an older Shaggy Mane, and in that stage it would not be good to eat.

Second, the one with the GPS on it, I'm pretty sure that it isn't a deadly Death Cap or a Destroying Angel. Those look different. However, it still may be an AMANITA specieis, and those are not reccomended at all for eating because some (Amanita Phalloids, Aminita Verna, Amanita Verosa) can kill.

And that last one is a variant of Fly Agaric, but only the Siberian variety causes hallucinations. These just make you ill, and are generally not fatal though.

When visiting my in-laws, my mother-in-law gathered some puffballs and insisted all puffballs are harmless. She breaded them and made a nice dish of sauteed puffballs. My wife, her dad and I tasted a slice and my mother-in-law polished off the rest. Our daughter, then 6 and a picky eater refused them.

Shortly thereafter the 4 of us fell asleep, which was odd for 10 in the morning.

Around noon, we sat down for lunch, while mom-in-law headed off to meet friends for lunch.

I suddenly started feeling very strange. Kindy of woozy and weak. I mentioned it and my father-in-law said "you too?". No sooner were those words out of his mouth, we saw mom-in-law's car returning. She staggered out, into the house and made a bee-line to the bathroom where she began heaving her guts.

She then laid on the bed, where she slept the rest of the afternoon. The rest of us were soon feeling a lot better, but my mother-in-law seemed to get the worst of it, because she ate a lot more than us.

Morel (sic) of the story, all puffballs aren't safe.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

quote:
Morel (sic) of the story, all puffballs aren't safe.

Some stuff, like earthballs (like a puffball but grey and powdery on the inside) aren't good. The good thing is, though, that to my knowledge no puffballs are dangerously poisionous.

Perhalps the Australian variety...

Again, "deadly poisionous" means, from what I've seen, a mushroom that when eated has a high potential to cause death.

Still, again, earthballs are bad. Giant Puffballs (the ones bigger then a softball, sometimes as big as a basketball) are OK.

I've been an mushroom hunter for years and am a member of the Michigan Mushroom Hunter's Club.

The North American Mycological Association is a good national organization. If you want to find a mushroom club in your area, check out their website.

I've found many a mushroom while caching and photographed quite a few of them.

These puffballs are edible.

733641_500.jpg

I just don't like the strong taste and aroma of puffballs!

I like Boletes but always worry about identifying them. I'm sure these were a poisonous variety.

511248_500.jpg

"Adrift in a world he never made!"

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Ah yes, the giant puffballs are quite edible. As for those bolettes... what did they look like on the under-side?

I'm actually planning to use a GPS system for a mushroom-hunting project this spring. I want to map the locations where I find mushrooms, and chart these on a computer, looking for areas of higher rates of occourance. Then I want to overlay that information on a topographical map to show the "hot" areas and look for patterns in the terrain.

unk3.JPG

Just joined the local Mycological society and went on a foray.

Spring through fall is interesting in the woods because of all the native plants->flowers->seeds.

The winter flora, or lack of, had me bored out of my skull, until I started trying to ID and eat some of the local edible mushrooms.

Candy-caps and FINALLY after 2 months hunting the oak duff... Pounds and Pounds of Huge Yellow Chanterelles.

Talk about some secret waypoints:-)

THe GPSr w/amplified antenna is ideal for recording a chanterelle find, since they always grow under the same oak every year.

All the europeans I know, have hunted mushrooms as a family activity and help me out...mostly by eating the Chanterelles.

Anyway, winter will be much more enjoyable with some new fauna to ID and then eat. I'm being very cautious and getting a second opinion on all finds. (Except the giant puffballs)

Just found what appear to be some Aminita Velosas (supposedly one of the sweetest and tastied mushrooms)...but as with all amanitas, this newby is waiting to get an expert confirmation.

David Arora's little western mushroom guide book is quite easy to use.

Oh, the puffballs. Kind of like eating styrofoam peanuts...highly overated, IMO.

----------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

We have been using our etrex in our morel hunts. It has helped us greatly. I have already started marking spots that I feel will be producers next spring. We also found a dried up hen of the woods under a large oak that we marked hoping that it would produce again this fall.

morel1.jpg

morel2.jpg

[This message was edited by JCfans on May 13, 2003 at 08:33 PM.]

Second, the one with the GPS on it, I'm pretty sure that it isn't a deadly Death Cap or a Destroying Angel. Those look different. However, it still may be an AMANITA specieis, and those are not reccomended at all for eating because some (Amanita Phalloids, Aminita Verna, Amanita Verosa) can kill.

Those would be of the Amanita Genus, not species. The species name is the second word in the name.