When do you admit you are beaten?

Gooniemanalpha

I have looked for this cache 3 times with another person. The owner has given bonus clues. Great owner for doing that. I now understand when people could not find one of mine. This one in its long history has strings of DNFs 5-7 in a row before someone finds it. I have spent all together 5+ hours. I know the area it is that it must be attached to a branch and at what eye level. I now cant drive by without begging my wife for just 30 more minutes to look. Is there ever a time to just let it go? I am not getting more finds because my limited free time is spend on this one cache.

In a case like that, one of two things happens. The first is I decide I don't really like the cache -- poor area like a trash heap or an unreasonable location like a large field of ivy, for example -- in which case I just forget about it. That normally happens after the 2nd or 3rd visit.

But that doesn't sound like your case, so the other case is I really like the cache and I want to find it. In couple cases, the logs made me think I could eventually find it, and GZ was somewhere easy for me to return to whenever I felt like it, so I'd put it on a shelf and not look for it until I had a more experience, sometimes months. In most cases, though, although I like the cache, I just want to get it over with, so I ask a friend to explain exactly what it is, where it is, and how to find it. The harder the cache is to get to -- the longer the drive or the hike -- the more likely I'll take the last option.

Is there ever a time to just let it go?

I've only worked really hard, with multiple visits and lots of time hunting once.

I don't think of walking away as "beaten" or defeat, I think of it as, "I'm not having fun", NHF. I learned NHF early in my caching career, I think it's part of why I still cache, while many that were caching when I started have dropped out.

That said, I was pretty darn obsessed with finding that one cache, and made multiple efforts. I didn't get any help from the cache owner, but a casual remark overheard while standing in the food line at an event sure was useful ;-) !

You have to call it, NHF versus wanting, wanting, wanting the find.

Info comes from the cache page (including a close reading of all logs), the cache owner, and the community of previous finders.

I have left them sit for several months and then go back and what do you know. There it is and right where I've looked before. How I missed it the first, second or third time, I don't know. Maybe it got moved from it's original spot by another cacher, or the sunlight just hit it right this time. Are you trying different times of the day because lighting can mean the difference. I have one that can be seen better right at noon than anytime else.

I find the ones I can't find make the game fun.

Sometimes I'll go for a while easily finding them all and it gets to be not so much fun. Then I DNF one and the challenge is on again.

Over time, periodically I'll return to a cache repeatedly to try to find it, but only as long as I'm having fun. I don't return to needle-in-a-haystack hides. Usually.

Sometimes I'll try bringing back different friends to the cache. They may find it and teach me something new.

I like having one out there that's on my "challenge" list to return to now and then.

I do always enjoy them more if they have a high rating to match though. Then I know it's not just missing and I enjoy the reward of finding a high rated cache.

When I realize I am no lnger having fun, I walk away from the cache. I don't care of it is 5 hours or 5 seconds.

If I am near a cache, if I have tried for it before or not, and it just doesn't look or feel like it is gonna be a fun search, I just keep on going.

I do this for fun and relaxation. I get enough stress from the rest of my life. I don't need it in my recreation also.

I don't know if I ever totally give up. There's one cache in a nearby town that I have been to several times, looked around for a while, and can't find. After my first DNF (along with several other DNF logs prior to mine) the CO checked on it and confirmed it was there. It still hasn't been found, but I still think about it, and will probably keep going back occasionally until either I find it, or it gets archived.

If I really want to find a cache, I'll probably put it on my watch-list and see if anyone else finds it.

I see now which you are having trouble with. They are some of the toughest in the area so don't give up. They are there and will be just that much more rewarding when you find them!

I know their there CO and a cacher that's found it have let me know. I want to state again the CO is very nice and tries to help.

I looked for a cache once where I had looked for it several times. I mentioned to the CO at an event that I just could not find it. I told him where I was looking and he said I was within one foot of the cache. I went back and after moving an item for the fifth time (just to make sure) I saw it. I was happy and mad at myself too. I had touched it twice but it was camoed very good and I relized I had seen it twice but did not SEE it. There is a couple of others in my area I keep coming back to. I WILL get them eventually! Of course if I come to a rock garden I give it a quick look and then forget about it.

I have looked for this cache 3 times with another person. The owner has given bonus clues. Great owner for doing that. I now understand when people could not find one of mine. This one in its long history has strings of DNFs 5-7 in a row before someone finds it. I have spent all together 5+ hours. I know the area it is that it must be attached to a branch and at what eye level. I now cant drive by without begging my wife for just 30 more minutes to look. Is there ever a time to just let it go? I am not getting more finds because my limited free time is spend on this one cache.

UPDATE:

So made this cache my 100TH Took whole family almost everyone looked except 15 yearold (too cool) for it. While I took a turn helping watch my 3 yearold my son made the grab with advice where to look from my daughter. :rolleyes: