Montana 650t SD card problem

Bonaro

I bought a new Montana 650t and a micro 32gb sd card and recently got around to setting it up.

I inserted the sd card in the gps and when i sync to the PC it gives me the message that it needs to be formatted. when I try to format it tells me it's write protected. I have removed the card, put it in an adapter and tried formatting it directly on the PC and it formats easy. I can even write files to it and delete them wile in the PC. I put it back in the garmin and I get the message again....WHAT THE HECK???

And it is an SDHC card, not an SDXC card?

Yes...Samsung class 10 32GB micro SDHC

When I put it in the PC it works fine. I can format, write and delete

Put it in the Montana and it thinks it needs formatted but It wont allow due to write protected.

Does the GPS recognize the card? i.e. Put a GPX on it with the PC reader and then put the card into the GPS. Does the GPX data show up.

The formatting request is on the PC, so has more to do with how it is seeing the GPS. Have you tried connecting the GPS to another computer?

Does the GPS recognize the card? i.e. Put a GPX on it with the PC reader and then put the card into the GPS. Does the GPX data show up.

The formatting request is on the PC, so has more to do with how it is seeing the GPS. Have you tried connecting the GPS to another computer?

I cannot se Drive L: when it is in the GPS, all I see is the GPS itself. When I boot up the GPS with the SD in it I get a message to format but it fails to format. I downloaded the Ridgecrop formatter and it still did the same thing. I bought the SD on Ebay and it was in OEM packaging but I am thinking it may be counterfeit. I have a old 128mb micro SD and when I plug it in tt he GPS I can see that drive fine.

I dont have time to screw with this...gonna buy another chip tomorrow :mad:

I bought the SD on Ebay and it was in OEM packaging but I am thinking it may be counterfeit.

I tried a different sd in the gps and it worked fine.

I noticed that from handling the sd, the lettering is smearing...pretty sure I got a fake chip

How long ago? If you still can, return it as it doesn't work correctly or file a complaint with eBay.

No, because you claim it works on the computer.

yeahbut.....I have read a little about counterfeit sd cards. They take a smaller card like a 2gb and spoof it into behaving like a 32gb then paint new labels on it and sell it for a higher price. It will function fine and normal until you hit the original size limit then you get errors and corruption.

No, because you claim it works on the computer.

yeahbut.....I have read a little about counterfeit sd cards. They take a smaller card like a 2gb and spoof it into behaving like a 32gb then paint new labels on it and sell it for a higher price. It will function fine and normal until you hit the original size limit then you get errors and corruption.

If you had one of those you'd see the same errors and corruption on the PC.