Auto In Dash GPS

Just bought a new Jeep with all the fancy stuff including in dash GPS. Has anyone put data on the in dash unit and used it for civil (no off road) routing? It would be nice to not have to use the Nuvi. Still using the trusty 60csx for the nitty gritty

Well, not sure what you're asking specifically but I have a JEEP with the in-dash factory RNAV multi CD/GPS/Bluetooth/Sirius Radio/DVD & rear seat monitor. I see no need for a nüvi when using it.

Just bought a new Jeep with all the fancy stuff including in dash GPS. Has anyone put data on the in dash unit and used it for civil (no off road) routing? It would be nice to not have to use the Nuvi. Still using the trusty 60csx for the nitty gritty

Well, not sure what you're asking specifically but I have a JEEP with the in-dash factory RNAV multi CD/GPS/Bluetooth/Sirius Radio/DVD & rear seat monitor. I see no need for a nüvi when using it.

Ok, do you use a sd card to put POIs on the GPS?f not, how do you get the cache coords on the in dash unit?

Let's face it... you may well be trying to bend it into a use for which it was not designed.

Early GPSr units were not designed for geocaching. Some manufacturer's noticed an opening in the market and started to design (and improve) many of their units for geocaching. A few now are made specifically for geocaching. Some even went so far as to make (after-market) multi-use units for automobiles. All of this, I am sure you already know.

All things go through a process of evolution. Some things are slower to evolve or may take different evolutionary branches.

A device as this -- permanently built into a vehicle (for the most part) with little to no ability to import data of a type that YOU wish to use -- has apparently taken a different branch. It seemingly is meant to keep you on the road, not off the road where the huge majority of geocaches are. That branch may, or may not be a long branch, only time will tell.

I would expect, in the future to have semi-permanent units available in new vehicles (as opposed to after-market units which already exist) that will support data entry as you so desire. The market is there (and growing) but auto manufacturer's, dealing with VOLUME rather than "niche-specific" ideals, are typically slow on the uptake. For auto manufacturer's, "niche-specific" died when they decided that equipment-package sales were better (for them) than were customized equipment options. Let's face it, geocachers ready to run out and purchase a new vehicle just because it has a do-it-all GPSr unit included in the vehicle package are few and far between.

Just who are the volume purchasers of in-Auto GPSr units? Certainly not geocachers. Perhaps someday, just not today.

Yes my friends, we geocachers are in the minority, here. You just may have to wait out that evolutionary process, if it happens at all!

:blink::huh::o

Not sure if this will help you in your situation by others maybe interested in this. I have an aftermarket Kenwood indash nav system in my car which uses Garmin as the navigation engine. I am able to load geocaches into the unit so they appear as icons on the nav screen. I am able to select a geocache, retrieve all the cache information, and even get turn by turn directions to navigate to it though I have to be careful as if the cache is off road it will route me to the nearest road closest to the cache. It does work good for urban caching. To get the cache information into the Kenwood requires GSAK and the Garmin POI loader which allows me to load complete PQs. The key here is the indash nav system use the Garmin for the GPS unit.

Not sure if this will help you in your situation by others maybe interested in this. I have an aftermarket Kenwood indash nav system in my car which uses Garmin as the navigation engine. I am able to load geocaches into the unit so they appear as icons on the nav screen. I am able to select a geocache, retrieve all the cache information, and even get turn by turn directions to navigate to it though I have to be careful as if the cache is off road it will route me to the nearest road closest to the cache. It does work good for urban caching. To get the cache information into the Kenwood requires GSAK and the Garmin POI loader which allows me to load complete PQs. The key here is the indash nav system use the Garmin for the GPS unit.

If you're talking about removing his current factory installed NAV setup to put in an aftermarket unit - That would be really really expensive..... Research time to make sure everything is compatible & would fit without cutting into his dash to make it work. Plus the cost of the unit & labor.

He's much better off keeping his OEM NAV and buying a $200 Nuvi......and maybe a $40 device to hold it securely.