Puzzle Cache icon

Mallah

Is there a guide about how far from the actual GZ you can/should place the icon i.e. the published co ords? I don't intend to do so miles away but just wondered.

Thanks

(No more than a) couple of miles.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Is there a guide about how far from the actual GZ you can/should place the icon i.e. the published co ords? I don't intend to do so miles away but just wondered.

Thanks

It's very surprising to see this question come from a cache owner of 2 "? Unknown" caches.

Before placing a cache, it's recommended to read the Guidelines over at least a few times.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

3. Mystery/Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve this type cache must be available to the general community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location, but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and means that the mileage of Trackables passing through the cache will be reasonably accurate. Add the final set of coordinates and any additional waypoints to the cache listing before submitting for review.

Before you submit the cache listing, post a Note to Reviewer with an explanation of how the puzzle is solved. This log will auto-delete on publication.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I think the 'mileage of Trackables passing through the cache will be reasonably accurate' reason is nonsense.

If that was the case Multis would have the same restriction.

I think the main reason is that if you are planning to go to an area and see a puzzle, set about solving it only to find that the final location is miles and miles away you'd be pretty miffed.

M

if you are planning to go to an area and see a puzzle, set about solving it only to find that the final location is miles and miles away you'd be pretty miffed.

M

That also could apply equally to multis. For instance, I start out for a multi on my bicycle, the first stage is on a local college campus, only to find out that the next stage is 40 miles away in the mountains. "Pretty miffed" is putting it mildly--at the CO if the cache description didn't say so, or at myself if I didn't read it.

:mad:

Thanks

It's very surprising to see this question come from a cache owner of 2 "? Unknown" caches.

Before placing a cache, it's recommended to read the Guidelines over at least a few times.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

3. Mystery/Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve this type cache must be available to the general community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location, but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and means that the mileage of Trackables passing through the cache will be reasonably accurate. Add the final set of coordinates and any additional waypoints to the cache listing before submitting for review.

Before you submit the cache listing, post a Note to Reviewer with an explanation of how the puzzle is solved. This log will auto-delete on publication.

B.

Then you are easily surprised. Sometimes it's easier to ask the nice people of this forum for a quick answer rather than trawl through the boring stuff, especially after a long day in a VERY hot office.

My existing ? caches are very different to the one I have planned - but that is for me to know about and you to guess ;)

Thanks for the pointers guys.