Cache in bad condition - did we do the right thing?

M.M.A.P.

We found a cache today that had not been found since 2011. Usually, this kind of search ends up being a DNF for us, but we still try to check them, as there aren't that many caches available in Trinidad anyway. This one was exactly where it had been left, a 4 inch tube covered in camo tape. When we retrieved it, however, a lot of ants started crawling out of it (good thing we had gloves on). On closer inspection (once we'd dropped it on the grass), we realised the ants had nested on parts of the camo tape that had become loose, and they were trying to recover their eggs from it. So, we had to remove the camo tape and let them have their eggs and let us keep the cache, or we wouldn't even have been able to pick it up and put it back on the tree if we hadn't. Now, we didn't have any camo tape with us, so we brought the cache home to repair it. Also, the container seemed to have leaked and it was filled with water, so I have contacted the owner to see if he would like us to replace it before we put it back.

My question is: did we do the right thing removing the cache? Nobody had been to look for it since 2011, so I don't think a week will make a big difference, but maybe we went again the rules, and if so, I'd like to know it so we don't do it again. Also, when I filled the log I explained we have removed the cache, but should I do something else in order to avoid anybody going there to look for a cache that is not in its place?

Thanks for your help!

I have heard of other cachers doing similar things, in order to help out, and I cannot honestly think of any time that I've read a criticism of those actions. If I were the CO in this case, I'd be quite appreciative. I see that when you logged your find, you noted that you removed the cache temporarily; in this way, any cachers checking the log in the next few days should be able to see that it is being worked on and will be replaced asap, so I don't see the harm.

Edited by Nunavut Taidy

I have heard of other cachers doing similar things, in order to help out, and I cannot honestly think of any time that I've read a criticism of those actions. If I were the CO in this case, I'd be quite appreciative. I see that when you logged your find, you noted that you removed the cache temporarily; in this way, any cachers checking the log in the next few days should be able to see that it is being worked on and will be replaced asap, so I don't see the harm.

+ 1.

I agree that you did the best thing you could under the circumstances. I assume the log you posted was a Found It; I'd suggest you also post a Needs Maintenance to alert anyone who might go looking for it that there is an issue. Some people just look to see if there's been a recent find, but don't bother to actually read the logs. You don't know that "Nobody had been to look for it since 2011," just because there are no logs posted. Some people don't post DNF's and some people don't post at all. Also, the CO gets email notifications of any logs you post, but an additional email directly from you couldn't hurt.

Thanks, everybody. I e-mailed the CO yesterday and he was great, and is happy to have the container fixed/replaced. Now I know what to do in similar situations.

Nancycle, do you mean people will look for it and not even sign the internal log? Good to know about the maintenance note, I will do that.

Nancycle, do you mean people will look for it and not even sign the internal log?

Actually, that wasn't what I meant, but yes there are people whose attitude is "I saw it = I found it."

Since you do have the log sheet, you do know that there were no signatures on it, so I kinda take back my statement about you not knowing--with the exception as above.

Sorry, Nancy, didn't mean to sound rude or anything like it, just felt surprised people would go all the way to the cache and then not sign it. Learning new things everyday! Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, I will make a note as soon as I get to my laptop (the phone is too small for me, I've been struggling to write this reply!).

The first 10 or so caches I found (on my first day geocaching) I didn't sign the log. I didn't know it was required! And since I was planning a group event, I figured I'd sign the logs when we did the event. However, the event was never done. :(

I'm just glad the CO's didn't delete my web logs. I DID find them. Opened them and everything! I just didn't sign anything. :anicute:

You certainly didn't do anything wrong, but I would have left the damaged container there and returned later with a replacement instead of taking the damaged container with me. That covers a lot of unlikely possibilities, including someone looking for it out of the blue, and something preventing me from ever going back to replace it after all.