What was the first cache you placed?

Anyone able to post links to the first geocache they placed - doesn't matter how simple or complex they were.

I'm looking to place my first cache, but for the sake of easing into it gently (also because the local area is fairly well saturated, especially as an urban area) my first cache is going to be very simple - I feel a little intimidated by the more advanced caches locally. Just looking for an idea of what peoples first caches were like :)

Anyone able to post links to the first geocache they placed - doesn't matter how simple or complex they were.

I'm looking to place my first cache, but for the sake of easing into it gently (also because the local area is fairly well saturated, especially as an urban area) my first cache is going to be very simple - I feel a little intimidated by the more advanced caches locally. Just looking for an idea of what peoples first caches were like :)

I live in a heavily saturated area. My first hide was a camo'd large bison tube (scuba style) on the back of a tree a few feet from a sidewalk.

It lasted about 5 months before it disappeared. I replaced it with a camo'd match safe and it's been going strong ever since.

My first hide was a backwards three part multi. You began at a locked ammo can (which had coords on the bottom) and had to find the three micro containers that had the combination to the lock. It had a good run and people really liked it. It's archived now because the ammo can disappeared.

Find a pleasant location and use a durable water-tight container. Simple and effective.:)

This was my first cache: GCWEHT

I placed it in 2006 and it is still going strong. Back then it was a magnetic keyholder LPC (Lamp Post Cache), but that was a different time when an LPC in Toronto was not too uncommon and not the bane of everyone's existence. I actually hadn't seen one before and thought I came up with the idea until I found a few more caches :P

I just updated it to a fake rock cache in a better hiding spot.

Actually, I just placed my first cache yesterday! I have ideas for more advanced, puzzle caches, etc but I wanted to start simple at first as well. This is just a small camo container, hidden in an interesting park that not many people know about.

Quercus phellos

Just posted yesterday, so I'm still waiting for someone to claim the first to find! Its strange, I have this overwhelming urge to "check on it" and make sure it is still there. Hahaha I'm sure its there. I just put it there! But I still want to go watch it! :-P Guess I'm just a silly newbie.

Francis Buddha

It's a cool little place near my home that most folks don't know about (that comment was frequently made in the logs). There's a great sculpture garden...very serene.

The hide itself was VERY easy and the container itself was visible from a car, so in retrospect I'm surprised it lasted over six months before getting muggled. I recently replaced the container with something that nobody would see without looking for it.

Edited by J Grouchy

Northbound Break

Simply a small camoed botte stuck in the split of a tree and covered with natural debris. I had tried to find another county on the southbound leg, but the only cache along I-35 in that area was gone. This involved a short grassy walk, and was archived due to construction closing the picnic area.

My first cache was 20th Anniversary. It was placed in a suburban park, very near the location where my wife and I were married. I cut a piece of 2x6 lumber to fit a triangular void under a set of wooden steps and painted it to match the original steps. Since it is now archived, I've uploaded a couple of photos to the cache listing showing the camouflage.

My first hide was a backwards three part multi. You began at a locked ammo can (which had coords on the bottom) and had to find the three micro containers that had the combination to the lock. It had a good run and people really liked it. It's archived now because the ammo can disappeared.

I'll have to remember this - I have been thinking of doing a reverse cache like this, it wouldn't be any good at my location but would be good 5000+ miles away where my fiancé lives (and where I'll live)...it's just the sort of cache he'd enjoy doing :)

My first cache was a puzzle where the finder had to match 10 photos to 11 locations, 1 of which had no photo, and then use those relationships to calculate the position of the final, all within a nice urban park in Lisbon, Portugal. It was probably a bit stupid doing something complex like that as my first hide, but ironically it wasn't that that tripped me up, it was a poorly placed final. After a few days in, we modified the puzzle having found a much better spot for the final, and it has been there ever since it was placed in 2007. I must have learned quickly because my 4th or 5th cache placed all the way back then, is in the top few most favourited caches in the country, and has been "geocache of the week" on the Latitude 47 blog.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I cached for a year before I felt I could place that which I'd like to find.

Virtual Chili is a mystery type where you can either visit three other caches for parts of the coordinates (Frog Exaggerator, Sarcasm Detector and Hamburger Earmuffs) or visit the (relatively difficult terrain) location to get information to decode the latitude and longitude of the final.

Our first hide was a nano right where we were living: Holmenkvartalet / Holmen Quarter. The main reason was to show a bit of modern architecture in an area most people don't really visit (being outside the city center and outside 'normal' Sunday afternoon walks along the harbour).

Having hidden the cache so close to home, we started looking if we'd see cachers trying to find it. (And at times shout directions if someone wandered off in the wrong direction.) This turned out to be so much fun, that when we moved we hid another cache really close to home. And with that 'our' "we are here" series was born. Currently we're at #4.

Mr. Terratin

I adopted some caches before placing any on my own. But my first placed cache is in a small park across the street from where I worked in San Francisco. It was placed on July 2,2006 and as of today has 473 finds. It was moved once because it was on a bench that was removed, so I had to moved it to another bench on the other end of the park. Seems one of park maintenance knows about it and sometimes helps cachers find it. It gets lots of activity due to being between hotels and the Fisherman's Wharf in a quiet area.

Park of Art

Edited by jellis

Billy E 9/11/01 It was placed in memory of a good friend of my brother's who died in the 9/11 attacks. It's about a 2 mile RT hike and I placed it near a favorite overlook of mine.

In retrospect, the only thing I might have done differently was place it at the overlook. Now that I've learned better camouflaging methods and what kinds of hiding places work, I wouldn't have hidden it that far off trail. Then again, maybe that's why it's lasted so long and still has the original logbook and some of the original contents (nobody seems to want that brand new Honda horn. Well it was new when I placed it).

Edited by briansnat

Playing in the Sand.Here's my first cache: Playing in the Sand.

I picked this location because there's a very steep slope to climb, which is fun, and some interesting rocks which are very unusual for the area. So I thought it would make a nice change to the mostly flat countryside around. It's a short multi - only a few hundred metres - but I think the fact it's a multi puts people off attempting it. Had nice feedback from those that did though.