Whitespace

Help, as a newbie I don't understand how to even find out what the puzzle is for the

Whitespace cache number Gc1Af96 by muttoneer.

Thanks;for any help

Senrab156

Hi,

It's generally considered bad form to offer help with puzzles in public forums, so you probably won't get much advice :( . I've never done that one but I've heard about it, suffice to say it's got a bit of a reputation as a tough nut to crack. You could try messaging the owner, which is generally considered the right way to go about it.

Sadly the NW caching forum is down at the moment- all I can say is its a really hard cache to work out, as suggested before -leave it for now and go back to it. I had a team of 4 of us trying to solve it, and it took us well over a month, and don't even look at Werewolf!!!

Best of luck if you do try it. :rolleyes:

I looked this cache up out of curiosity after seeing this thread. Got to stage four of the puzzle and was stumped. I don't know if I'll continue working on it or not, since there's no chance of me ever finding it, but it's an interesting one. The puzzle is quite well hidden.

1. Actually, it's not bad form to ask for help on the forums, but it also isn't allowed. Normally the forum moderator will blank out the cache ID right away when they see someone ask for help on a specific cache. No one minds when someone makes this mistake, though, because...

2. Wow, really cool puzzle. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If I ever take a caching trip to England, this will definitely be on my list.

3. I've only done a few puzzles that were harder than this one. Finding the start just takes a little experience, but solving the entire thing took a lot of my puzzle solving expertise. That's why the difficulty is 4.

4. As you might guess from the terrain rating -- also 4 -- the final location is a large effort, as well.

So, on the one hand, this probably isn't a good cache for someone to tackle early in their career. But, on the other hand, definitely put this on your list as a target to come back to from time to time over the years as you figure out how to work out each step.

1. Actually, it's not bad form to ask for help on the forums, but it also isn't allowed. Normally the forum moderator will blank out the cache ID right away when they see someone ask for help on a specific cache. No one minds when someone makes this mistake, though, because...

Since when??

I've been rattling around these forums for 10 years or more and I can't recall anyone ever saying it "isn't allowed", let alone forum moderators blanking out a cache ID just because someone asks for help.

Ok... A new cacher might not be aware of the etiquette but but as far as I'm aware, that's all it is and there's no question of breaking any rules/guidelines just for asking.

Hello to all

Many thanks for all your replies, and apologies if I have broken any conventions.

I will go and see if I can find the puzzle and take it from there. I only live down the hill and the whitehouse is my local for eating out

Thanks again

Senrab156

Since when??

I've been rattling around these forums for 10 years or more and I can't recall anyone ever saying it "isn't allowed", let alone forum moderators blanking out a cache ID just because someone asks for help.

Ok... A new cacher might not be aware of the etiquette but but as far as I'm aware, that's all it is and there's no question of breaking any rules/guidelines just for asking.

Not sure why you haven't seen it. I've seen it several times now. Here's one from just last week. Maybe they don't worry about it in the United Kingdom and Ireland forum. What I understand is that there's a clause in one of the agreements that disallows asking for and giving help for specific caches on the forums. I assume it's a hard and fast rule put in place so moderators don't have to make judgement calls about how much help is too much.

I don't know of anyone that considers it an etiquette infraction, just a easily excused common mistake that's usually quickly corrected.