Geocaching Supplies

Mrs_Gunny

Hello, I'm new to geocaching. I saw it on a TV show not too long ago, Googled it and BAM! Here I am! I've read through much of the site and didn't find anything on the topic at hand.

What kind of supplies do I need to bring with me to geocache?

Where do you get your trade items?

Can you go through sites like orientaltrading.com?

Any answers are much appreciated!

Welcome :smile: I'm some what new as well. My friend and I started about a month ago. Right now I mostly do finds in my town so I don't need any major tools. I carry mine around in a cosmetic bag in my purse.

Here's what's in it:

•  
  • 2 pens and a pencil
  • a toothpick for rolling up micros
  • a couple of pair of rubber gloves (lol one of our find was attached to a fire hydrant)
  • an extending magnetic picker upper thing lol idk what its really called its the size of a pen
  • going to get a mechanics extending mirror
  • and hand sanitizer

I've seen things from orientaltrading.com. We leave more like a calling card. It's large table confetti from Wal-Mart its glitter lips and I wrote Hot Mess on them.

Welcome :smile: I'm some what new as well. My friend and I started about a month ago. Right now I mostly do finds in my town so I don't need any major tools. I carry mine around in a cosmetic bag in my purse.

Here's what's in it:

•  
  • 2 pens and a pencil
  • a toothpick for rolling up micros
  • a couple of pair of rubber gloves (lol one of our find was attached to a fire hydrant)
  • an extending magnetic picker upper thing lol idk what its really called its the size of a pen
  • going to get a mechanics extending mirror
  • and hand sanitizer

I've seen things from orientaltrading.com. We leave more like a calling card. It's large table confetti from Wal-Mart its glitter lips and I wrote Hot Mess on them.

Don't forget the all-important UV light!

I think the caches that require a UV light are a regional thing. I have found nearly 1000 caches and have never seen one requiring a UV light to find. I am on the DelMarVa Peninsula.

We carry an extending magnetic pickup tool (never used it yet), an extending mechanics mirror (used it once), a pen (always use it), hand sanitizer, plastic bag for CITO, bug spray, water!, hiking stick (used to move prickle bushes out of the way, swat down spider webs, etc), flash light (have used it a few times).

Well , I was about to post a similar thread so I'll add to this one.

I cache with a backpack , its got many pockets amd zipper to play with and its known as " The Cache Bag"

Here's what I carry so far ( most carry items are from experiences)

1. Ink stamp

2. Pens and pencils

3. Swag from Oriental trading ( we love leaving swag)

4. Iphone (soon to upgrade to etrex)

5. Ziplocs (CITO) and to replace worn bags in caches)

6. First aid (band aid/ neosporin)

7. Batteries

8. Leather glove for dadgum stickers bushes

Ok cachers . What would you put in spaces 9-12

I have a cache bag that has all kinds of tools, and supplies. Many times, though, especially if it's a micro, I just grab a pen and go. If it's a medium or small, I'll also sometimes grab my small bag, or just a bag of swag. If it's a short hike, I always grab my small bag. And Then I have a big backpack too, that holds extra supplies, empty cache containers, and more stuff, for if/when I need to go on longer hikes, or happen to need something I don't carry in my little bag. It stays in the car.

I carry a Nite Ize Pock Its container in the Geo truck at all times.

In the Nite Ize I have

1.Extendable mechanics mirror. Used for looking higher or lower than I can normally see.

2.Tweezers Used to get logs out of Nanos

3.Metal hook used by gunsmiths for attaching springs. I use for fishing caches out of tight spaces.

4.Pens

5.Small zip lock bags. Used as replacements for protecting logs

6.Replacement logs

7.Flash light.

Also in the truck I carry

1.Garmin Nuvii 500

2.Gloves

3.Hiking Stick. Used as a hiking stick, reach extender, probe, and for safety.

4.Knee high Chore boots. Used for culvert hides and crossing streams

5.Battery charger for AA batteries

6.Back pack containing

1.Hand sanitizer

2.Swag

3.Change of clothes. Handy when the weather changes or you need a long sleeve shirt for the briars.

4.Water

5.Spare batteries

I also use a Garmin 62sc hand held and a Android Phone that are always with me.

Just an idea on swag, we get mini safety pins and put the micro craft beads on them. That way its something a little unique. plus we choose a different color or style of bead when its time to make more and it sorta extends the experience. and its still cheap.

I carry my magical cache pen. It's useful for poking in holes I may not want to stick a hand in otherwise, swatting aside spider webs, reaching finds that are slightly over my head, prying open caches, fishing out logs, and, of course, signing log books. Sometimes I also have a little baggie of swag and TBs with a small pair of tweezers, and sometimes a little notebook, but I usually travel light.

Well , I was about to post a similar thread so I'll add to this one.

I cache with a backpack , its got many pockets amd zipper to play with and its known as " The Cache Bag"

Here's what I carry so far ( most carry items are from experiences)

1. Ink stamp

2. Pens and pencils

3. Swag from Oriental trading ( we love leaving swag)

4. Iphone (soon to upgrade to etrex)

5. Ziplocs (CITO) and to replace worn bags in caches)

6. First aid (band aid/ neosporin)

7. Batteries

8. Leather glove for dadgum stickers bushes

Ok cachers . What would you put in spaces 9-12

I just picked up the eTrex 20, you won't be disappointed. It's geocaching features are quite good and the lack of a touch screen means you can actually see it in the daylight.

I can see my Dakota 20 in direct sunlight too. I think it's because they're old style touch screen and need a proper press unlike most modern smartphones. Plus they're kind of made for it, not to watch videos and look at high quality pictures and such. :)

I now want to make a UV cache.

A long stick/pole. Hiking or walking stick to allow you to move stuff out the way, or to help up steep hills etc. Obviously, not so much for city caches... although then may be useful for self defense!

Currently I have a pen with me along with my Casio Commando smartphone that is my GPS. Once in a while I will grab something from home to trade with, and am in the process of making a walking stick to take with me. I will also be be putting together over the winter a cache bag to carry with me as well. I have a small list of basic stuff I want to carry with me to include swag, extra pens, some paper, basic first aid kit, flashlight, and a few other odds and ends I may need for my caching area.

I believe Garmin markets this as a 'Trans Reflective LCD', engineered for readability in direct sunlight. Indoors, my eTrex 30 screen can't compare to my AMOLED screen on my Samsung phone. Outdoors in sunlight, I have to find or make some shade in order to read the Samsung. eTrex is very readable in sunlight.

Edited by JohnCNA

Fine point pen, spare batteries, mechanics mirror, tweezers, small flashlight, small notebook, gardening gloves, water bottle sling and my most recent acquisition: bi-focal sunglasses. Seriously, I can't see anything in front of my face without reading glasses. I had cheap drug-store readers in my geo-bag so my good prescription glasses would not get scratched or otherwise damaged, but constantly switching off between the readers and sunglasses was a pain. So I splurged and used my Costco rebate check to purchase the bi-focal sunglasses - love them!!!

And geo-clothes: long cotton pants with deep pockets and hiking shoes - sturdier than sneakers and I don't care if they get dirty, wet, etc.

Except for the pen and batteries, most of my 'equipment' has been acquired over time as I experienced the need for a 'tool' I didn't have.

I like the idea of toothpicks to roll up nano-logs - thanks for the idea! I'll add some to my geo-bag.

And don't forget a cell phone in case you get in trouble.

Have fun!!

We also carry in the geomobile, a jug of water for hand/face/leg washing. And a roll of paper towels. In the backpack, we carry, first aid stuff, BUG SPRAY, extra logs, baggies, pens, our swag, leatherman tool, tweezers, flashlights. Hanging from the backpack is a "poking" stick as my granddaughter calls it. And speaking of my granddaughter, she is responsible for the most important to her, item - the snack bag. :D We also have a cooler bag with bottles of ice water.

Hello, I'm new to geocaching. I saw it on a TV show not too long ago, Googled it and BAM! Here I am! I've read through much of the site and didn't find anything on the topic at hand.

What kind of supplies do I need to bring with me to geocache?

Where do you get your trade items?

Can you go through sites like orientaltrading.com?

Any answers are much appreciated!

Tweezers!

great question Mrs Gunny and thanks to all replies - some great suggestions to add to our geocache ruck sack. So far we only going for level 2 difficulty so not so special agent kit needed but have had to have hand gel as my kids have got filthy and then ask for snacks - they love poking about and hands everywhere

I also take sting relief for my kids as they often get nettle stings -( enthusiastic finding!) and a mini first aid kit which has been used but that is geocaching with kids.

I stopped carrying a backpack this summer. Now, I usually geocache with my Scottevest Travel Vest. It so much lighter to carry and I don't worry about setting it down and forgetting about it.

It fits so much more than what I put in it:

• pencil
  • swag
  • tweezers
  • flashlight or headlamp (although that goes on my head)
  • small hand mirror
  • my leatherman utility tool
  • small first aid kit
  • GPS
  • camera
  • cell phone
  • gloves
  • plastic baggies
  • water

Happy Caching.

I carry those towels that are super tiny but get really big when wet....handy when you get too yucky or muddy

I also carry those disposable rain poncho's

and a bandaid pack

and lots of kid friendly swag

and even more Canadian themed swag - lapel pins etc

a small pen light and also a small LED light...and a small head lamp that I got as a gift (haven't used that one yet)

I got all these at the dollar store

Plus many of the other items mentioned above....but thinking that tweezers would be a good addition....rolling up those micros usually takes me longer then finding it!!

Edited by caa3065

I pack in different things at different times, but the things I usually keep in my pack are:

pens/pencils

batteries

a little bit of swag

TB's or coins to move

small pad of paper

ziplock bags

a small log roller (barely use it, but it's small)

gloves

water/granola bars

a small roll of duct tape

small LED flashlight

teeny-weeny magnets I took from a CD drive

mini first aid kit

mini big spray

I also carry a multitool on my belt (knife, pliers, screwdriver, etc..)

Everything is small so it's pretty light.

Depending on what my plans are, I'll also add:

collapsible dog bowl and water (if my dog comes)

headlamp, big flashlight, batteries (night caching)

Collapsible mini shovel (snow caching)

an ammo can or two :P

tools and pump (mountain biking)

dry box (kayaking)

UV flashlight

kneepads

whatever other special tools a cache needs to be found

And I keep some separate backpacks that I just grab and carry with:

hip waders

climbing stuff

I would like to eventually add cheap rubber crampons for icy spots in the winter and to get a collapsible ladder to keep in the truck.

Well, since my previous post I've altered my set-up a little, decided I'd invest a little more in caching.

Backpack Contents

1. Etrex 10 (New Addition)

2. Rope (New Addition)

3. Swag Bag (Always carried a little swag, but now have a little more in a separate bag.)

4. Any GC or TB's I'm in possession of and waiting to move on.

5. Pop and Snacks.

6. Few Pens/Sharpies.

7. Ready to set up geocache incase I come across a good set-up spot.

The Etrex was only bought yesterday, so I'm yet to try it out properly, though I'm loving the feel of it so far, lack of maps and storage aren't an issue to me, it stores around 1000 caches and way-points, which is more than enough for me, and it's the compass and battery life that I wanted mostly, smartphone let me down on those.

Rope has been an edition for a little while now, and the £1 I paid for it has more than paid off numerous times over. Helps so much with scaling down muddy banks, and even more so climbing back up them.