Ever get the feeling?

Now Im still very new to this... very very new.. But I thought a major part of Geocaching is to bring you to an area of natural beauty or some kind of significance? Or am I mistaken. Iv been studying maps of my local area, and looking at where some of these caches are hidden, and it is a little strange. They are in the middle of council estates, in the middle of every day normal housing estates, roads and even shopping centre car parks.

Now the only reason I ask is I wanna do as much research on the subject before hiding my own. I have spend the last couple of days designing some containers and stuff and I want to make It a little more interesting rather then a 35mm container in Tesco car park.

I just wonder if people ever get the feeling that the caches are sometimes placed in certain places just for the hell of it or am I missing something.

There is a vast woodland area around me that has 0, yeah that right 0 caches in it. I have spoken to the owner of the property and asked him about hiding some in the woods and making sort of a trail from it, and he was more than happy to let me do so. However I want to get the confirmation in writing from him first and make sure that he is the land owner like he claims to be before I take it any further.

I think it will be a matter of months before all my containers/puzzles are finished and before I have selected a route that I believe offers areas of natural beauty. So at this stage I guess I am just asking for your opinion and what you guys think makes a good cache?

Do you think people would appreciate the effort and time I spend designing all this or would it just be another cache and maybe I should just let the guys get on with it that seem to be hiding them in rather strange areas?

Either way your views are welcome

Thank you all in advance.

TheBrofessor

Don't compromise your principles. I agree, some caches are placed for no other reason than there wasn't a cache there. I applaud your intent to place some quality, creative caches out. We need more of that sort of attitude.

Trust me, there's a large demographic of Geocachers out there who truly appreciate some effort being put into hides....picturesque locale, historic site (with some of the history told in the description), old abandoned structures, creative handmade container, clever camouflage, stuff like that.

Check out the Favorite points earned by some caches in your area....compare the caches that have been in place just a few months and already have several Fave points, versus the ones that have been out there 5 years or more and haven't earned a single one. There's proof that cachers DO appreciate quality.

I don't have a whole lot of hides but I prefer quality over quantity. I consider receiving Fave votes on my caches as confirmation that I'm doing something right :)

I can be short about this: you pretty much nailed everything in your opening post. A lot of people place caches simply because there was an open spot.

Before you start investing time and money into your containers, check potential locations and do coordinate checks for them. This way your local reviewer will know you intend to place caches there.

This should give you "dibs" on the area for a couple of weeks, so people can't interfere with uninteresting nanos or something.

Thanks for all of your feedback guys, I really want to do this right so that people can really enjoy it and not just make it another cache out there. So il spend as long as it takes to get it spot on and make it enjoyable for people.

Also I have to think about how many caches I can maintain once I place them. So lots to think about

Once again guys thanks for your comments.

A quote from the long-term cacher and forum moderator briansnat says it all:

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

I just wish more cachers would follow this principle.

MrsB :)

See to me this makes a lot of sense. As i want to bring people to areas that are not usually explored and show people something interesting, something educational and fun. The areas that I have in mind are all steeped in history and have some amazing views of the local area, however they are not visited much due to lack or footpaths and the fact they are not the easiest to get to. But Im sure terrain wont stop any keep cacher :)

Seems like a lot of people have the same opinions on the matter as me.. Its not just about placing a random cache in a random place just for the sakes of it. It more to do with the actual location and bringing people to a certain destination and getting them to experience the beauty of a spot.

Seems like a lot of people have the same opinions on the matter as me.. Its not just about placing a random cache in a random place just for the sakes of it. It more to do with the actual location and bringing people to a certain destination and getting them to experience the beauty of a spot.

I fully agree, and I do something practical about it, visit http://www.amberel.com/topcache.htm if interested. Who knows, if they are somewhere I get to, and they are good enough ... :rolleyes:

Rgds, Andy

I fully agree, and I do something practical about it, visit http://www.amberel.com/topcache.htm if interested. Who knows, if they are somewhere I get to, and they are good enough ... :rolleyes:

Rgds, Andy

Wow those are really interesting.. Im impressed, nice to know someone is willing to go to all that effort to make them. Well done

We are just coming up to our 1300th find. Some have been brilliant, some have been good, some have been drivebys that we got because we were passing. I am now thinking its time to put something back into the game and stick some out, and am of the same idea as you, I have no intention of sticking a magnetic nano or a 35mm film pot out just for the sake of it. I want people to enjoy finding them, and that's why I have left it so long.

A newish cacher near us had been caching for a couple of months and stuck out 15 caches round near us, all tiny plastic tubes, dodgy magnets and in fairly average places, half are now missing and hes not logged on since April. I realise there might be a genuine excuse, but its just a shame that people seem to run in these days and throw out some caches for the sake of it. Clearly I am not including you in this comment, its so good to see someone actually thinking it through! Best of luck, hope you get plenty favourite points. :)

I have a feeling geocaching management are not on our side.

The recent announcement that there are to be souvenirs for each day cached in August has spawned direct requests and social media talk of groups setting caches in patches just so seekers do not have to travel great distances to seek caches on those 31 days.

I can not foresee all those new placements meeting the standards we desire.

My own placements;

Many are infrequently found often passing a year between finds but most seekers enjoy the experience when they make the effort. Likewise I enjoy those logs much more than receiving 100's of less meaningful ones.

We are just coming up to our 1300th find. Some have been brilliant, some have been good, some have been drivebys that we got because we were passing. I am now thinking its time to put something back into the game and stick some out, and am of the same idea as you, I have no intention of sticking a magnetic nano or a 35mm film pot out just for the sake of it. I want people to enjoy finding them, and that's why I have left it so long.

A newish cacher near us had been caching for a couple of months and stuck out 15 caches round near us, all tiny plastic tubes, dodgy magnets and in fairly average places, half are now missing and hes not logged on since April. I realise there might be a genuine excuse, but its just a shame that people seem to run in these days and throw out some caches for the sake of it. Clearly I am not including you in this comment, its so good to see someone actually thinking it through! Best of luck, hope you get plenty favourite points. :)

I dont thing that placing a cache should just be for the sakes of it, and someone like you with that much experiences knows what makes a good cache. I lack the experience however I look at realistically. Would I want to be brought to this location? Is it worth the treck? Am I going to learn something from it? And am i going to enjoy my self whilst doing it. Even once you find the cache i plan on making it a little more exciting then just a container with a log book. All well stocked containers that require you to sold puzzles before you get inside them.

Im still in the early planning stages when I have some drawings and stuff il post them and see what you guys think of it.

The recent announcement that there are to be souvenirs for each day cached in August has spawned direct requests and social media talk of groups setting caches in patches just so seekers do not have to travel great distances to seek caches on those 31 days.

My own placements;

Many are infrequently found often passing a year between finds but most seekers enjoy the experience when they make the effort. Likewise I enjoy those logs much more than receiving 100's of less meaningful ones.

I thought that caches had to be placed for the long run? And not a temporary ones that are likely to be destroyed? Or am i wrong?

My own placements;

I thought that caches had to be placed for the long run? And not a temporary ones that are likely to be destroyed? Or am i wrong?

I believe they will be placed to remain the guideline 6 months in situ or greater.

What i'm not so convinced about is that they will be of the quality this thread is intimating we desire or that we need such placements being made, merely to effect ease of achieving a challenge.

My own placements;

I believe they will be placed to remain the guideline 6 months in situ or greater.

What i'm not so convinced about is that they will be of the quality this thread is intimating we desire or that we need such placements being made, merely to effect ease of achieving a challenge.

I suppose every one gets something different from this hobby, and if people want to hide and seek caches like that, then that is up to them. For me i would much rather spend a whole day hiking and challenging my self and get 1 cache instead of taking a quick stroll and finding 20.

But again i suppose its down to the individual and what they want to achieve. Having said this, how long before the majority of the caches become way too easy and way too simple. Referring back to the 35mm containers., taking you to shop car parks and run down modern "ghettos" where there really isnt much nice to see. Id hate to see the hobby turn into this. I do admit, it is nice to have different difficulty levels so people with kids and stuff can also enjoy them, however there is no reason why you cant have easily accessible caches that are still fun, by challenging people with puzzles and such. Bringing people to areas where they might learn something (especially the kids) and getting them to think more about our history, heritage and geography that surrounds us.

I really hope that I am not alone in thinking this, and so far from the positive comments on here I can say that there are people that share my kind of enthusiasm about the matter. And I hope that there are still people out there who are willing to push the boundaries and get creative.

I'm going to buck the trend here. I say trend - a handful of comments here, the geocaching community as a whole does not make. It's a petty thread attempting to find a fault where there is none.

The rules or guidelines to cache placement are all that count. And when they are followed and approved by the reviewers that too is all that counts. I suggest the hobby is enjoyed from your perspective and leave it at that. Please think more broadly when criticising. Not everyone can or will be inclined to walk 20 miles for one cache instead of lots. Some don't have transport. Some don't have imagination. This is not a fault it's different to what you would enjoy perhaps. But that's all it is. So I would suggest you avoid those caches and enjoy your 20 mile walks for one cache. But please don't imply you are somehow better or more of an asset to the hobby for doing so. It's terrible narrow minded and if anything is as undesirable an attitude as unimaginative cache placement.

I'm going to buck the trend here. I say trend - a handful of comments here, the geocaching community as a whole does not make. It's a petty thread attempting to find a fault where there is none.

The rules or guidelines to cache placement are all that count. And when they are followed and approved by the reviewers that too is all that counts. I suggest the hobby is enjoyed from your perspective and leave it at that. Please think more broadly when criticising. Not everyone can or will be inclined to walk 20 miles for one cache instead of lots. Some don't have transport. Some don't have imagination. This is not a fault it's different to what you would enjoy perhaps. But that's all it is. So I would suggest you avoid those caches and enjoy your 20 mile walks for one cache. But please don't imply you are somehow better or more of an asset to the hobby for doing so. It's terrible narrow minded and if anything is as undesirable an attitude as unimaginative cache placement.

Whilst I agree with the general sentiments, it comes across as a bit harsh - no one has stated they are in any way better, just that there appear to be many more examples that juat seem to be there because there is a space?

I tend to agree that there are several in places I don't consider to be in the 'spirit' of the game, however there is a very useful tool to deal with them - the ignore button. I've used it several times for some in our City.

My personal favourites are those that take me for a walk around a rural or countryside location, whether they are a series or just several I can link together - so the OPs plans would suit me.

Everyone has an opinion, and everyone enjoys the hobby differently, however this post was started to find people who dont lack the imagination and the effort required to create something new and exciting. If you do not agree with what I have said, or my views then that is fine. We cant all agree on everything. Im just saying that from my point of view I find certain caches boring and unnecessary. Once again thats just my opinion and no need for you to get upset over it. I welcome peoples feedback on the matter and value their opinions but seems to me that you took the above posts a little personally. And if you are one of those people that are happy to go to Tesco car park to find a cache, then that is obviously your choice. Some people just care about the number or caches other care about the quality of them. Each to their own I suppose.

Whilst I agree with the general sentiments, it comes across as a bit harsh - no one has stated they are in any way better, just that there appear to be many more examples that juat seem to be there because there is a space?

I tend to agree that there are several in places I don't consider to be in the 'spirit' of the game, however there is a very useful tool to deal with them - the ignore button. I've used it several times for some in our City.

My personal favourites are those that take me for a walk around a rural or countryside location, whether they are a series or just several I can link together - so the OPs plans would suit me.

Totally agree with you on this one. A nice rural walk and a few caches sounds perfect. It doesnt have to be 1 cache in 20 miles but it donsnt have to be 70 caches in 2 miles eather. And the ignore button sounds like a good idea.

I disagree I am afraid with you Mike - I was blunt. And I will come back to that. Harsh would have been ...

"Erm do you not think you should go and get a few more caches before you start saying what is good and bad and "not in the spirit of etc". 10 caches in total, most of which are on roads and are cache and dashes and the others are hardly a days hike from a road. More like a 5 minute bimble from a car. Perhaps if you spent more time caching and getting a feel for it instead of getting anal on here you could learn a lot more.

No I was blunt but, and this refers to your point Brof' not upset at all. Incredulous ... maybe, but certainly not upset. Eye rolling ... well a little.

You see I dont understand how any normal person could possibly form any opinion on anything .. well certainly not an informed one, given the microscopic exposure you have had. I really cant.

If you cannot understand the basic principle of the beginnings of geocaching you really shouldnt do it.

1. READ RULES - these will tell you what is permitted. As long as its permitted its allowed and will be published. Once it has been published it has nothing what so ever to do with you or anyone else, where it is, what it is, and how its hidden. It really is that simple. You can tell that because if it did, there would be a rule for it.

So what happens is, you become a member and you go and find them. Its actually fun if you just do it. But if you overthink it, If you over dissect it, well then it all gets a bit boring and people stick their ore in and then people pull that to bits and so it goes on. Then it turns into a thing. And if, heaven forbid it becomes a thing, well then the planks turn up and stuff gets stopped and changed and yet another rule gets written. Then you and your 10 caches clear off and we are left with the fall out.

So the best advice you will get right now is ... put down the laptop or iphone, get your shoes on. Get in your car and go and find more and more and more. Then, then you will soon realise that going 20 miles for 1 cache is a bit idiotic for most because they also want a life. Dinner needs cooking, kids want washing, work needs turning up for. So it would be nice to actually go geocaching instead of it being as a by product of a massive killer walk. I dunno who you are but most cachers I know dont have a days walk in them for just 1 cache. I am sure your needs will be met cache wise, but the wisdom of crowds has spoken for now and therefore cache and dashes seem fine by most as do naff "ghetto" areas. No snobbery there eh lol. Tell me how was that one under the M25 LOL.

Anyway seriously - chill and just go do it. Instead of trying to get a doctorate in it eh. That way lies becoming a cache policeman and moaning about micros etc. And everyone that moans about them has gone for them. Everyone. And they still will.

I disagree I am afraid with you Mike - I was blunt. And I will come back to that. Harsh would have been ...

"Erm do you not think you should go and get a few more caches before you start saying what is good and bad and "not in the spirit of etc". 10 caches in total, most of which are on roads and are cache and dashes and the others are hardly a days hike from a road. More like a 5 minute bimble from a car. Perhaps if you spent more time caching and getting a feel for it instead of getting anal on here you could learn a lot more.

No I was blunt but, and this refers to your point Brof' not upset at all. Incredulous ... maybe, but certainly not upset. Eye rolling ... well a little.

You see I dont understand how any normal person could possibly form any opinion on anything .. well certainly not an informed one, given the microscopic exposure you have had. I really cant.

If you cannot understand the basic principle of the beginnings of geocaching you really shouldnt do it.

1. READ RULES - these will tell you what is permitted. As long as its permitted its allowed and will be published. Once it has been published it has nothing what so ever to do with you or anyone else, where it is, what it is, and how its hidden. It really is that simple. You can tell that because if it did, there would be a rule for it.

So what happens is, you become a member and you go and find them. Its actually fun if you just do it. But if you overthink it, If you over dissect it, well then it all gets a bit boring and people stick their ore in and then people pull that to bits and so it goes on. Then it turns into a thing. And if, heaven forbid it becomes a thing, well then the planks turn up and stuff gets stopped and changed and yet another rule gets written. Then you and your 10 caches clear off and we are left with the fall out.

So the best advice you will get right now is ... put down the laptop or iphone, get your shoes on. Get in your car and go and find more and more and more. Then, then you will soon realise that going 20 miles for 1 cache is a bit idiotic for most because they also want a life. Dinner needs cooking, kids want washing, work needs turning up for. So it would be nice to actually go geocaching instead of it being as a by product of a massive killer walk. I dunno who you are but most cachers I know dont have a days walk in them for just 1 cache. I am sure your needs will be met cache wise, but the wisdom of crowds has spoken for now and therefore cache and dashes seem fine by most as do naff "ghetto" areas. No snobbery there eh lol. Tell me how was that one under the M25 LOL.

Anyway seriously - chill and just go do it. Instead of trying to get a doctorate in it eh. That way lies becoming a cache policeman and moaning about micros etc. And everyone that moans about them has gone for them. Everyone. And they still will.

I like how you are taking the time to express your opinions in detail on here.. much appreciated. So i guess it deserves an in detail response.

The number of caches I have found may be minuscule compared to yours, however having looked at the areas around me It doent take long to recognise a pattern. And seeing as you have done the research it to my caches maybe you should have read the responses that I have left too.. In a number of them I state that having lived not too far away from the area i never knew about those places. And I thank the creator of the cache for bringing me there. I appreciate them sharing the views and surroundings with me.

None of those were 5 minutes in a car for me. I had walked to get all of those, and the quickest one took over 3 hours. So I wouldnt judge without knowing the details. Just because they are easily accessible from a road does not mean that i drove there.

One of the main reasons i started Geocaching was to solve puzzles, get my brain firing and go for long walks. Cardio is very important to me, as is challenging my self.

As far as your snobbery comment goes... I live in those "ghettos" I was brought up in areas just like that, and i know for a fact there is not much nice to see there. So why bring people there when there is a vast amount of unspoiled nature out there to be discovered. i dont know if you can understand what I am trying to say by this, but I really think that those caches could be better placed.

As far the the cache under the M25 goes, not sure if you have done that one your self, however this is a perfect example of what I am saying... There is nothing there. A urine soaked tunnel, full of rats and overgrown bushes... Not exactly ideal. However the other in the serious were fun and offered great views and scenery.

Looking at the sorts of caches you have found it really dont think you understand what I am trying to express here.

Talking about basics.... Maybe re read the guidelines yourself...

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

That is according to the guidelines one of the first things to think about...

As you may see from previous posts no one is judging people who seek quick and easy caches, I just want to be different to those. I want to challenge people like I would like to be challenged my self.

And as I said in my previous post its not the number of caches its the quality of caches. So I have no problem with a 20 mile walk for a top notch cache. Does that mean that that is all I will seek? No of coarse not, however i would like to have the option of difficulty levels. not just micros with just log books.

Either way thanks for your advice Im sure it will come in handy one day.

Do you think people would appreciate the effort and time I spend designing all this or would it just be another cache and maybe I should just let the guys get on with it that seem to be hiding them in rather strange areas?

I've never heard of anyone that didn't enjoy a quality cache. I definitely encourage you to do it the way you want to and produce caches you are proud of. You will be much appreciated.

Having said that, it turns out that, as you have guessed, geocaching is mostly about the cache these days, despite the famous quote to the contrary. There are lots of reasons for that, but none of those reasons diminish the value of high quality caches that stand out from all the average. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that because the average is fairly easy and mundane, high quality caches shine all the brighter.

I've never heard of anyone that didn't enjoy a quality cache. I definitely encourage you to do it the way you want to and produce caches you are proud of. You will be much appreciated.

Having said that, it turns out that, as you have guessed, geocaching is mostly about the cache these days, despite the famous quote to the contrary. There are lots of reasons for that, but none of those reasons diminish the value of high quality caches that stand out from all the average. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that because the average is fairly easy and mundane, high quality caches shine all the brighter.

I guess well see what people think of them when they are up in a few months. Still lots to learn and plan before hiding my first cache. Hope people enjoy them as much as im gonna enjoy making them.

Thanks

A quote from the long-term cacher and forum moderator briansnat says it all:

I just wish more cachers would follow this principle.

MrsB :)

While I agree with the general sentiment in this, I feel it does multiparts an injustice. A decent multipart may have a fairly mundane final location through necessity. The enjoyment will be had in the journey. Virtual waypoints can take you where physical locations aren't allowed.

Incidently, I too have similar cache setting ideals and have only recently taken up placing caches. I can only reiterate how beneficial you will find it if you get a heads up as to potential locations. My first cache was originally too close to the final, hidden location of a multipart. I had no idea it was there, as there were no waypoints for it. I only found out once I submitted the cache for review.

My main advice though, would be to make sure you have fun doing it.

There are a lot of good comments in this thread, to a question which is multi-dimensional.

The 2 main dimensions being the location and the type/quality of caches.

Some thoughts:

Location is important, and most cachers like being taken to a "nice" location. And a nice woodland, or other beautiful place in the countryside will always be appreciated.

There are caches hidden in locations which most would agree are unpleasant/unsuitable... e.g. attached to a rubbish bin.

There are lots of caches hidden in urban/suburban locations which might not look interesting on the map but turn out to be "hidden gems". A cache in a nice little park or off a pleasant suburban footpath. Or near an interesting building or feature. I have learned about local history doing such caches.

An urban/busy location can also be a good place to hide a clever cache; one which blends in so well that muggles can not see it.

So yes, location is important; but that doesn't make all urban/suburban locations unsuitable.

"Quality": Type and number and other factors

Let's use the woodland described by the OP as an example. I don't know how large it is, but for argument's sake let's assume it is large enough to hide a ring of 20 caches.

There are many variations of things one could hide, but to keep it simple consider 3 choices. And assume the same route and it takes the same amount of time (say 3 hours) on average to find the cache(s) for each option.

1. Hide 20 film canisters (traditional caches).

2. Hide 20 traditional caches, but using a variety of sizes and types of containers and methods of hiding and camouflaging the caches.

3. Hide a single multi or multiple stage puzzle cache. Have a well thought out theme with stages that fit the theme. For example if the theme is crime based and you are the detective you may need to find "fingerprints" along the way.

Now all 3 options involve the same walk in the woods. Most would feel option 1 was somewhat of a disappointment - in spite of the nice walk.

Between options 2 and 3 it is less clear. Option 2 will get far more finds. Probably no single cache will get a lot of favourite points; though the final one in the series might get quite a few as a way of finders giving an general "award" to the series.

Option 3 will get fewer finds; but if done well a high percentage of favourite points.

The simple view comparing Option 2 and 3 is one of quantity vs. (more) quality... but I don't think it is that simple. I've enjoyed both types.

Even the most mundane of caches fulfils purposes. Good for beginners or kids; maybe disabled-friendly; good for a cache and dash for that daily fix perhaps.

The Take Me Somewhere Beautiful argument is not that easy for everyone - so does that mean they should not put out a cache at all? Arguments either way.

I'd say 2 of my 6 caches are scenic - one by the Thames (and there's still a lot of Thames Path cacheless. Does that mean it MUST have a cache every 528'? Of course not) - a homemade / natural container and explicitly placed to help make a circular route with other caches. The other is on a nature reserve by my house and I'm proud to have got the local wildlife trust to re-consider their previous ban on caches after something went wrong elsewhere about 5 years ago.

Of my other caches, one's a devil to find (but the name and the place it is, will help the thoughtful cacher to work out where to look); another's a multi, just a magnetic nano and a silly pun based on a signpost (but judging by the fave points, well-received); there's a puzzle to make people look around them in Abingdon; the last (well the first) probably the lamest as I had an idea for a multi that involved the cache occasionally changing places between two adjacent spots, but the reviewer wasn't up for that so it's a trad.

So my humble opinion would be, give people a puzzle / challenge to solve; try to make your caches complementary to those already in the area (eg in Abingdon there's one guy who specialises in off-piste camo bags - so I'm not going to do anything similar). And if you do have that scenic / interesting area and can lay out a rewarding route (consider a bonus cache but don't feel obliged to do so), all the better.

Edited by Oxford Stone

This hobby has moved on since it's rose-tinted hey-day of great cache spots.

Whose to blame?

New cachers without imagination? Reviewers sticking to their guidlines?

Or just plain Corporate greed?

Whatever.

It's easy to choose where you want to cache.

Maps / Cache Descriptions / Past Logs / Google...etc etc.

You have already worked out how to see caches on Council Estates and car parks.

Just cache in the AREAS OF COUNTRYSIDE AND THAT SHOULD DO.

Edited by JoLuc

Guys thank you all very much for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated. Im very pleased that all of you have taken the time to write such detail posts and express your opinions. It gives me great ideas that I will work on and design to put in to practice. Reading all of you posts I have learned a lot, and you have all made me realise that the hard work and the hours that I am putting into planning and designing the caches will be appreciated by those who seek and find them.

Furthermore I am also starting to see why people are hiding caches in unattractive areas, they are good for a quick fix as Oxford Stone said and I am now beginning to realise this. As this really gets addictive.

On my way home from the gym today I had to get my "fix" for today, so naturally I chose a longggg route that enabled me to find 3 caches. Just to get more of an idea and understanding of these quick caches. Now I must say I visited all 3 areas, however in all 3 areas there were too many moggles congregating and drinking so I will have to return tomorrow. All 3 of the caches were in rather puzzling areas, one in particular was hidden under a pedestrian bride used to cross a busy motorway, now literarily about 400 metres down the road there is a lovely little bit of forrest with a small stream running through it. Would have been a much better placement I believe. At first I thought maybe this cache was hidden to be disabled friendly, however the actual location of the cache is not accessible to wheelchair users. So I am a little puzzles as to why this person would hide it under the bridge rather then in the forest. Furthermore that piece of forest is the last standing in the area that once used to be covered in forestry, now there must be a good story as to why that piece is the last to be standing. Maybe bring people there and tell them the story and teach them about why this piece of forest is still standing.

Also redsox_mark you have given me a lot to think about, and that is a reat way of putting it. Thank you very much for that.

Having said this I have drawn up a list of around 50 urban caches that I want to go and find, to try and understand why people hide them there, maybe I am missing something.

As I have said in my previous posts I want to learn as much as i can, plan and design caches that people will enjoy. So once again guys I just want to thank all of you for all of your input, because each and every post teaches me something new, makes me reconsider my previous thoughts or gives me a great idea.

Its also nice to see that the community is rather helpful and I am glad to be a part of it.

There is so much on this post that I agree with and it's very well written, that I laughed out loud at some points! Thank you for being the first disagreeing voice - I always have a lot of time for anyone who is brave enough to speak against the crowd.

Not sure that I'm a fan of the term "cache police" though. I think there is always a need for some rules in any game. Without them any game is meaningless and if no-one monitors some things now and again, it can be the same as having no rules at all. Some people can and do take the p*ss - but then we all have our "Buttons" which we don't like pushed, don't we?). However, I take my hat off to anyone brave enough to (a) raise their head above the parapet, and say, "...erm actually, that's not necessarily the case have you thought about this alternative instead" and then (B) "no that's NOT what I said and here, see me back up my point of view with facts and reason and some entertaining banter"

As someone very wisely said to me on a group caching outing the other day, if you don't like the fact that caches are hidden every 0.1mile, then don't go and look for them. Walk past them and find every fifth cache, which will be every half a mile instead!

now literarily about 400 metres down the road there is a lovely little bit of forrest with a small stream running through it. Would have been a much better placement I believe. At first I thought maybe this cache was hidden to be disabled friendly, however the actual location of the cache is not accessible to wheelchair users. So I am a little puzzles as to why this person would hide it under the bridge rather then in the forest.

Maybe permission was refused for the woodland.

Maybe if the woodland is 'delicate' someone felt that bringing a hoard of cachers to start searching it might disturb/damage it.

Maybe there was already a cache in the woodland when the one under the bridge was placed, which has subsequently been archived.

Maybe the one by the footbridge is part of a series along that footpath.

Maybe the footbridge is of a particular type much admired by bridge spotters.

Maybe the hider just didn't have much imagination.

On the whole it sounds like you and me think along the same lines, but clearly not everyone does and we'll never be able to figure out what's going through everyone's minds, so just do your own thing - it will be appreciated - and enjoy the choice!

Hi Brofessor and welcome to the hobby.

I would suggest there's only one guideline you should follow in deciding what sort of cache you should create, where you should hide it etc (with the proviso that it needs to follow the actual rules etc)

Think about the caches you've done, and which ones you've enjoyed most and which ones you haven't - and which ones could've been made better with a simple tweak somewhere.

Now using that info, hide a cache that you would enjoy finding, somewhere you'd enjoy looking for it. You won't be the only cacher who enjoys that sort of cache so if you'd like it so will others.

Accept that you won't please everyone - some people hate drive bys, others love them. Personally I prefer caches that take me on a nice long walk, but because of a knee problem at the moment I have to choose between caches within five minutes walk of a car park, or no caches - I'm using the time to clear up some local puzzles that I hadn't had time for previously!

Like you I don't really see the point of caches in unattractive urban areas (although have a look at the caches in Central London, in particular the earthcaches - some of them are done really well and take the cacher to some unexpectedly interesting places). But some people hide caches in what seems to me to be the most uninteresting places and others choose to find them, so they're making people happy.

As Seaglass said, just do it and enjoy it. You'll make mistakes with your first hide, we all did. Learn from them and act on the lessons when you place number two. Then learn from the lessons from number two...

And enjoy it!

Edited by Paul G0TLG

I am very new to this (I have only found one cache) but that one was in a supermarket car park! and I am very grateful to the person who thought to leave it there. The supermarket is one I go to every week and before this site I never even thought there would be such a thing there. Would I have traveled miles to find it no, but it was right on my doorstep in a area which meant I could go about my normal business and introduce my six year old to a bit of fun along with the boring shopping.

We will be finding caches in more scenic areas but these will involve a car trip and more organisation. I might not have been so keen to start this if every cache I had to travel miles before I start searching. To have ones in urban areas for me it means it keeps us interested, as lots are within walking distance from our home. Ok we might not see anything spectacular but we will be getting out walking and enjoying the exercise (something it can be hard to encourage kids to do).

Not everyone who does this intends to be a 'die hard' addict of it. I will be unable to find the more difficult ones on the longer routes as I have a young child to consider and these may be a bit much for him. I will be looking to find caches that are easily accessible to us where the terrain is child friendly and the urban ones are ideal for this.

Where the history of the site is given in the information, I am very grateful to the owners for taking the time to research this as it means myself and my son will be learning about our local area as well.

I thought that geocaching was supposed to be for everyone, not everyone is capable of walking around countryside, the urban caches mean everyone can enjoy this, the disabled, families with babies that need a pushchair etc.

I am very new to this (I have only found one cache) but that one was in a supermarket car park!

When we went to the first UK Mega back in 2009 (I think), it was when the Supermarket Sweep idea was still in it's infancy, but someone had the brilliant idea of placing a Supermarket Sweep cache at all the supermarkets in the area of the camp sites - so every cacher who needed supplies automatically had the Supermarkets on their GPS, and could grab a smiley while they were there :lol:

What a shame that you feel 'the rules or guidelines to cache placement are ALL that count'. Thank goodness New cachers like the OP are coming into the game and not following that philosophy!

What a shame that you feel 'the rules or guidelines to cache placement are ALL that count'. Thank goodness New cachers like the OP are coming into the game and not following that philosophy!

I think you have a little thing for me. You sit there all meek and quiet and then find a post of mine and have a dig. While its flattering I have to say I'm spoken for. Sorry no means no ok buddy.

Oh but to your point - the rules count first and foremost. I'm sorry to be a rule follower. Making my life and the reviewers job easier. Preventing the possibility that I personally might put geocache placement in a bad light and open for criticism to all and sundry and potentially effect everybody.

But actually it was a poorly aimed slur at implied lack of imagination or some such because "only" using the rules as a guide was apparently all that was important to me and aiming high in location snd design is really the only proper way to go etc. Sigh. Well lets just enjoy geocaching as indeviduals. As a previous poster said -

Geocaching is for everyone and not just you.

What a shame you didn't take that comment on board and quote that instead of my pointless opinion.

I think you have a little thing for me. You sit there all meek and quiet and then find a post of mine and have a dig. While its flattering I have to say I'm spoken for. Sorry no means no ok buddy.

Oh but to your point - the rules count first and foremost. I'm sorry to be a rule follower. Making my life and the reviewers job easier. Preventing the possibility that I personally might put geocache placement in a bad light and open for criticism to all and sundry and potentially effect everybody.

But actually it was a poorly aimed slur at implied lack of imagination or some such because "only" using the rules as a guide was apparently all that was important to me and aiming high in location snd design is really the only proper way to go etc. Sigh. Well lets just enjoy geocaching as indeviduals. As a previous poster said -

Geocaching is for everyone and not just you.

What a shame you didn't take that comment on board and quote that instead of my pointless opinion.

At this stage I will ignore the accusation you seem to be aiming at me as I am absolutely at a loss to understand where you have got that opinion. I have checked back on all my previous forum posts and can only find one previous interaction with you where I made what I consider to be a harmless comment defending Scouts going on geocaching walks as a group. I would never attempt to try and affect your desire to detail your views and issues within forum posts but please don't deny me the right of disagreeing with you by accusing me of anything more malicious which is totally unfounded.

On topic, I do not think the OPs posts are poorly aimed slurs at unimaginative/or unpleasant cache placements but a very eloquent attempt to try and understand why CO's choose some places to put caches which is a question I also regularly ask. I think the OP should be commended for his insight and outlook rather than being chastised for his lack of experience. As others have said I wish all CO's approached cache placement with this amount of thought.

I reiterate my opinion that placing a cache is not JUST about meeting the guidelines and I will always champion the cause of any CO that sets out to make his cache/series as positive an experience as they possibly can.

The thing about our shared hobby is that we can all cache in the way WE chose - whatever that may be. I don't do hills ( and living in S Wales that is interesting LOL) but can still appreciate the ones that are put on them. I have enjoyed short stops, motorway caches, ARoad Anarchy, being able to find supermarkets when camping.

I have found some and thought 'Why here?????' :(

One of ours looks over one of the best beaches in S Wales Rest Bay - famous for surfers - beautiful but then sometimes I get complaints of bottles being smashed or rubbish / nappies around which is out of my control.

My main wish is to thank the Original Poster for taking the time to think through what he wants to do with caching and how he can give back to the caching community - if no-one puts out caches then there won't be any for the rest of us to find and enjoy :D

You make some valid points although even so if someone is going to place caches that are easily accessible they would still do well to make them interesting.

You are entirely right that some people lack the ability to walk 20 miles, or 2 miles, and some lack the ability to walk at all. Wouldn't it be better for things like wheelchair-accessible caches to be physically accessible but placed near a point of interest, rather than be utterly unimaginative variations of a wet film pot behind a sign with no reason to visit the area other than to grab the cache? Otherwise effectively what we're saying is that the less mobile among us deserve nothing better than the caching equivalent of being tossed a few crumbs from the table.

If anything I'd argue that when considering the needs of people who are less mobile it's even more important to make a cache interesting. For me it's no big deal to walk or cycle to a cache so if it turns out to be a disappointing keysafe behind a road sign I still got some exercise out of the process. If someone is going to make a reasonable effort (whatever "reasonable effort" means based on their own mobility) to get to a cache it seems a shame for them to go to the trouble only to find the cache setter just threw down a lame micro without much thought.

You make some valid points although even so if someone is going to place caches that are easily accessible they would still do well to make them interesting.

You are entirely right that some people lack the ability to walk 20 miles, or 2 miles, and some lack the ability to walk at all. Wouldn't it be better for things like wheelchair-accessible caches to be physically accessible but placed near a point of interest, rather than be utterly unimaginative variations of a wet film pot behind a sign with no reason to visit the area other than to grab the cache? Otherwise effectively what we're saying is that the less mobile among us deserve nothing better than the caching equivalent of being tossed a few crumbs from the table.

If anything I'd argue that when considering the needs of people who are less mobile it's even more important to make a cache interesting. For me it's no big deal to walk or cycle to a cache so if it turns out to be a disappointing keysafe behind a road sign I still got some exercise out of the process. If someone is going to make a reasonable effort (whatever "reasonable effort" means based on their own mobility) to get to a cache it seems a shame for them to go to the trouble only to find the cache setter just threw down a lame micro without much thought.

Hear hear.

Well written and I completely agree.

Yeah yeah, I know that some of you may come back and say that they do have limited mobility and yet live for lame micro's but I would guess that most would prefer something interesting or clever.

Interesting points on here - makes me want to look out for low terrain caches with lots of fave points &/or high D (but not necessarily puzzles).

Since I last posted I've put out a 7th cache, having picked up a nano as swag. Had to be urban because of the cache size, so had to be my home town - and as luck would have it, found a spot on a picturesque bit of riverfront.

You know the attributes on caches that evryone ignores - walk length, loos nearby etc? I'd love a system whereby when you find a cache you can say you liked it for scenery / container / fun or challenging to get to / fun or challenging to find once at GZ / good puzzle. So it's the finders saying that it's scenic, not the CO. This would expand nicely on the current favourites system.

You know the attributes on caches that evryone ignores - walk length, loos nearby etc? I'd love a system whereby when you find a cache you can say you liked it for scenery / container / fun or challenging to get to / fun or challenging to find once at GZ / good puzzle. So it's the finders saying that it's scenic, not the CO. This would expand nicely on the current favourites system.

:blink: I always thought that was what the log was for? :blink:

You know, "Really enjoyed this cache, sat and took in the lovely views, thanks for bringing me here..."

:huh:

Thanks SP, yes somewhere where you could see at a (longish) glance - 100 finds, 10 DNFs, then 42 people liked the cache container etc etc. The sort of numeric stuff that pocket queries work on.

I think I most often read logs when I'm stuck at GZ and am looking for subtle / blatant hints. Some interesting caches I'll read them when storing or afterward finding (did other people enjoy that as much / as little / find it as difficult as me?) - but not really to choose whether to go or not.

Back to the original post.

Even though there are 2 million+ caches, whatever you put out will affect the expectations of a newbie who finds it. My first cache last October was tupperware in a pub car park. Then a film pot behind a phone junction box. Then another film pot in a crash barrier. Ho-hum, I thought - so that's geocaching. Plastic boxes in urban locations. But a few finds later I'd come across magnetic nanos, bison tubes, false stones, clever camo techniques. By the time I felt ready to become a CO I'd done several caches by JJEF, which are all home-made containers / contraptions. Believe me, when you've seen those, you would feel ashamed to drop a film pot at the base of a fence post or a clip lock box behind a tree.

So do your bit to raise the game. Show some ingenuity, take people somewhere scenic / interesting, bend their minds with a puzzle (but maybe try it out on a friend first), look around for containers in shops or in nature (I found a lovely hollow branch at one GZ, it became my 6th cache) and then you'll pass on the inspiration to the next new CO to do something beyond the ordinary.

I have a real range of quality/typoes of caches hidden so I'm not one to realy give advice. I was pressed for advice at event, I think as I'd just placed a new series out. My advice is simple, place what you like to find. I read good advice on here before, cache setters are partly responsible for the direction of the hobby in their area. And this is so true near me where there are a lot of good puzzles and due to one cacher there as some exceptionally good quality hides.

SO back to me. Mine is a range of what I think is quality, fun, nice place, nice walk, just because I can, why not, "really, here?" and "go on, I dare you". Well only a couple of the last a challenge and a diving cache. But then if you see my finds, it's the same, I find those types too; long walk of mundane in nice area, challenges, puzzle etc.

Most of all enjoy it as if you do boith finding and hiding can be addictive.