How does a reviewer actually review a cache?

teambaconpancakes

I know that after you hide a cache it has to get reviewed by a volunteer before it gets published on the site, but I'm unclear about what exactly the reviewer does. I read that reviewers don't actually go out and physically find the cache itself. . . so what exactly do they review? The description you write for it? What else are they checking for when they review? o_O

They look at the co-ords, and anything you put in the description. They look to make sure it's not too close to another cache-this includes parts of a multi cache, or a ? cache where you might not be able to see if one is there. Some places, there are no caches allowed, such as military bases, and such. They just check to make sure everything is good and nothing goes against any guidelines.

Primarily they check to assure that your cache hide has complied with the guidelines.

This applies to both the placement itself and the page write-up.

They generally don't go out and physically check a placement... but, in the course of their caching (most always with a different username/profile) they may end up "Finding" the cache anyway. They have a lot of "tools" at their disposal; maps, legal decisions, landowner/manager rules and regs for various types of properties, etc. One of their most important "tools" are other cachers.

I'm getting ready to do my first hide and just a quick question which probably fits on here, I emailed the people who own the land, and got an email back about 15minutes later saying sure, sounds like fun, go ahead (was expecting it to take longer) - do you send this proof to the reviewer? or just write on the cache page 'permission to place cache granted by XXX'?

I'm getting ready to do my first hide and just a quick question which probably fits on here, I emailed the people who own the land, and got an email back about 15minutes later saying sure, sounds like fun, go ahead (was expecting it to take longer) - do you send this proof to the reviewer? or just write on the cache page 'permission to place cache granted by XXX'?

I'm sure the reviewer would be pleased to see a copy of the email. I would still mention it on the cache page to assure any potential seekers. If you send the reviewer any emails, make sure to include a GC number, so they know what cache you're referring to.