Who ya gonna call ??

There was some discussion in the newsgroup about a safety net for geocachers.

If you hunt caches with a half dozen others this won't apply to you, but if you tend to head off by yourself and are worried that if you somehow ended up injured nobody would find you for an extended amount of time....

What I propose to discuss is some form of automated alert system that would work along these lines.

Geocacher X wakes up in the morning and decides to hunt a remote cache.

X is either single, or married to a non-hiking spouse who isn't familiar enough with the hobby to know what to do with a GC number.

Currently X could fire off an email to a buddy and say "I'm hunting GC9876 and I'll be back by 6:00"

That's what I'm looking to do on a grander scale, have a "notification buddies" database where you let it be known that you'll be in a certain area for a certain duration and that if you're not heard from within xx hours to have someone take notice.

The idea that was hashed out would work something like....

After (SOME ~8) hours, the cache seekers email box would receive a reminder to shut-off the notification.

After (MORE ~12) hours a notification would be sent to the email addresses of a hand picked few cachers that are active in the area. Part of this notification would include the cache seekers home/cell number and whatever other contact numbers the cache seeker included.

Anyone on this "buddy list" could shut just off future notifications with a simple reply.

If after (Even more ~16) hours someone was still missing, a broader liost would be notified, all on this list would have opted *in* to allow these types of notices.

They would not seek the cacher themselves but ensure that the local search and rescue had been notified. Replying to this list would let the ohers know that someone had made the call.

[This message was edited by Eric O'Connor on June 18, 2002 at 08:49 PM.]

A. No

B. No

C. Definitely No

D. Maybe, well, actually No

E. What was the question?

Your choices are about as valuable as the above choices. How about one choice that means 'yes'?

I think this is a great idea. It could use some polishing, but I think it could work. I have thought about this as I am off by myself on a 4star hike.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

The reason the poll choices were setup mostly as negative feedback is to cut-short the nay-sayers.

There are a lot of reasons why this should be scrutinized, especially since this is a global sport that is open to pretty much anyone.

We'd have to make sure that search and rescue don't receive pranks that put their people in danger needlessly.

Also, we'd need to be reasonably sure that it doesn't break at a time that's it's actually needed. (I always pick on Mopar so what the heck) If Mopar takes a moment to setup a notice that he'll be caching in those *spooky* New Jersey swamps and then for some weird reason gets himself in a jam that he can't get out of, he might just be hoping that someone takes notice and sends help.

A system that gives a false sense of security is *MUCH* worse than nothing at all in my book.

I really hate caching in remote areas without someone knowing where I am, but I do it all the time since the alternate is to hassle buddies with email messages that leaves them wondering.

This will keep everyone but me out of the loop until something goes wrong.

I'm almost begging you people to spot the flaws.

I *LOVE* this idea but don't think this should be taken on too lightly.

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

I work nights and half the weekend, so I tend to go Geocaching on Thursday or Friday's. So I usually end up by myself on most trails, which is nice if a little scary. Sometimes I will have my dog with me, but after I tried to lose him on one hike, I only take him if I know a little about he hike in advance.

So what I am trying to say is, I think this is a useful idea. It might make a good service for more then just Geocachers. This could make a good side business for Groundspeak.

I travel for business and try to go caching in the evenings when I have nothing else to do. (I can do about 3 a night before it gets dark.) If I get hung up on a cache, it is easy to get stuck in the woods at night. It's happened to me before. Someone like this would be very helpful for me.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Any responsible scuba diver will tell you, use a buddy. If you're are going in to a situation that may be dangerous either take a friend or Don't go.

Me I wouldn't want my life to be dependant on someone checking thier e-mail. I only check my personal e-mail once a day. and on Weekend I don't check it at all (because I am out Geocaching). So I find this idea of a buddy database a 'false sense of security' thing.

Please find a friend to go with, it's better with friends anyway (no matter what you're doing). or if you INSIST on going alone then at least physically tell someone you're going and how long you should be gone, and not a voice mail or answering machine message, talk to a real live RESPONSILBE human.

Sorry to sound like your parents but I would hate to see someone get hurt doing this. Beside that might give this 'sport' a black mark if someone did get hurt geocaching and it made the 6 o'clock news.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

With the way I cache, an automatic notification wouldn't work very well. What I think *could* be a really useful thing, however, would be "geocacher's itenerary". Basically, it would be something like the watch lists, but public and temporary. It'd work something like this:

Before I go caching, I go to Geocaching.com.

After logging in (or with my cookie), I go to the caches I'm going to hunt and click "Add to itenerary..."

I go on the hunt. (At this point, anyone who looks at my profile can see the caches I'm planning to hit, and possible the order would be there as well.)

When I get home and log a cache, my itenerary is cleared. (Alternately, there could be a check box for "Continue scheduled itenerary..." that would only remove the cache I'm logging... useful for those who may log caches wirelessly while on the hunt.)

This would allow cachers to have one place where people can go to see where they are, which would make life a lot easier for those of us with slightly usability-impaired friends. Plus, you could play FRS tag if you happened to be close enough to a cache on their list. icon_wink.gif

With the way I cache, an automatic notification wouldn't work very well. What I think *could* be a really useful thing, however, would be "geocacher's itenerary". Basically, it would be something like the watch lists, but public and temporary. It'd work something like this:

Before I go caching, I go to Geocaching.com.

After logging in (or with my cookie), I go to the caches I'm going to hunt and click "Add to itenerary..."

I go on the hunt. (At this point, anyone who looks at my profile can see the caches I'm planning to hit, and possible the order would be there as well.)

When I get home and log a cache, my itenerary is cleared. (Alternately, there could be a check box for "Continue scheduled itenerary..." that would only remove the cache I'm logging... useful for those who may log caches wirelessly while on the hunt.)

This would allow cachers to have one place where people can go to see where they are, which would make life a lot easier for those of us with slightly usability-impaired friends. Plus, you could play FRS tag if you happened to be close enough to a cache on their list. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

Any responsible scuba diver will tell you, use a buddy. If you're are going in to a situation that may be dangerous either take a friend or Don't go.

Many people geocache while on business trips or away from their home area.

Spouses and buddies aren't always available, and let's face it... SCUBA by it's very nature is just a tad more dangerous than most geocaches.

Until Buck8 get's that jetpack and raises the bar that is.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

Many people geocache while on business trips or away from their home area.

And can't check in with a live human via phone? if you have access to e-mail shouldn't you have access to a phone?

quote:

Spouses and buddies aren't always available, and let's face it... SCUBA by it's very nature is just a tad more dangerous than most geocaches.

I am quite aware that buddies/spouses/brother/AA sponsors aren't always available. But going in to unfamilar, un-inhabiated areas alone can be just as dangerous as scuba diving. Anyone living in or around the northen Califonia/Washington/Orgen/Utah area could proabbly tell you that. I just don't care for the concept of hiking with a guardian angel. because I doubt he/she will call an ambulance or air rescue team. sorry but(to paraphrase the bumper sticker) Jesus is not my co-pilot.

And when I go Diving (with a buddy) we make sure someone else knows where we are going and when we will be back. in person ,not via a note of somekind. thats all I am saying.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:

And when I go Diving (with a buddy) we make sure someone else knows where we are going and when we will be back. in person ,not via a note of somekind. thats all I am saying.

I do appreciate your feedback.

We can go round-n-round over phone versus email, or I can admit right now that if we all had access to people who we could call (and this is the important part) without feeling like we're being overcautious or paranoid, then this idea would be as useful as selling sand to a Saudi.

I can only speak for myself, but since most of the caches I seek involve what are basically day trips, I feel goofy letting people know that I'll be *THERE* until *THEN* when the odds are astronomical that this will actually be worth their time to worry about.

I have done this, but it's a little like driving down an open freeway with your hands at the ten and two postion. Technically it's a good idea but human nature dictates that we not be so tightly wound.

I want a way to let people know, but not until they have reason to suspect that something may be wrong.

Note to ClayJar: The itinerary idea is a good one, but it should be invisible until needed to minimize the possibility that someone might stalk you. Some people have actual and legitimate concerns about this sort of thing.

quote:

I want a way to let people know, but not until they have reason to suspect that something may be wrong.

Last one I promise. Given the Quoted statment above. Can't you see how pointless letting someone via e-mail is? By the time they find out that they would need to suspect that somethings wrong you would either, be out of trouble on your own or in need of a bodybag.

I just think if you are so worried about having a system interlinked to geocaching.com that will inform folks when you are overdue. you should be able to redirect that to get over the 'goofy' feeling and just make the call. besides 'overcautious or paranoid' is better than 'found by hiker, Film at Eleven'

And just so you don't think I'm totally against this concept. I kinda like Clayjar's suggestion. It makes more sense to me.

Hope to meet you on the trail someday.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:

Last one I promise.

I for one, am enjoying this conversation so I hope it continues.

quote:
Can't you see how pointless letting someone via e-mail is?

If you're only sending email to *one* person than I agree, I check my email maybe three times a day and I consisider myself compulsive about it.

There have been times that I've checked it every three days, and if someone were relying on me at that time to send help they'd be in a world of hurt.

quote:
By the time they find out that they would need to suspect that somethings wrong you would either, be out of trouble on your own or in need of a bodybag.

That's why the notice (If the idea still has wings) would escalate to a larger audience as time passes. If 100 people are notified, the odds of one of them checking their mail within that hour are pretty good.

People should include the number for their local search and rescue organization in these notices so that someone out of state can make the call without having to hunt for the proper number.

quote:
I just think if you are so worried about having a system interlinked to geocaching.com that will inform folks when you are overdue. you should be able to redirect that to get over the 'goofy' feeling and just make the call.

My daughter (who's five) at one point fell in love with crying wolf, we'd be at the park and she'd climb up onto of the slide and yell "Help!"

Everyone would turn and give her a few seconds of attention.

I'd run over and remind her that she's supposed to save "Help" for when she really needs it.... etc.

That's how I feel when I fire off an email or phone. (okay I've never actually picked up the phone for this).

quote:
besides 'overcautious or paranoid' is better than 'found by hiker, Film at Eleven'

There is a danger that if we all get in the habit of picking up the phone or sending email, that the message will wind up as white noise.

After 20 of such calls I might be less careful about keeping track of time myself.

quote:
And just so you don't think I'm totally against this concept. I kinda like Clayjar's suggestion. It makes more sense to me.

I like his idea as well, but (Yes, I'm being sexist again) I can't imagine that the ladies will want it known that they'll be alone in the woods at a given time. As a guy who doesn't resemble Ned Beatty, I usually don't worry about these things.

quote:
Hope to meet you on the trail someday.

I can't quite get over the feeling that we're 99% in agreement here.

I came >< that close to heading to Chicago for a friends wake last month, I definitely would have made plans to get together with some local geocachers and probably would have bought you a beer.

I'll keep you in mind next time I find an excuse to head East.

quote:

If you're only sending email to *one* person than I agree,

quote:
If 100 people are notified, the odds of one of them checking their mail within that hour are pretty good

or you would geet 99 people asking to have a check box to get off that list because thier e-mail boxes are getting inundated with 'JOE-JOE is over due' because I forgot to post my log for a week.

quote:
I check my email maybe three times a day and I consisider myself compulsive about it.

I don't check my office e-mail that much. icon_smile.gif

quote:

My daughter (who's five) at one point fell in love with crying wolf, we'd be at the park and she'd climb up onto of the slide and yell "Help!"

and then relize it's not thier kid or the child is just looking for attention, then look away and move on with thier life. I too have seen this on the playground with my 4 year old.

And That's what I am afraid of. Everyform of electronic communition is IMHO just another way of brushing someone off until you have time to deal with them. How many people you know look at thier papger/cell phone when it buzzes and say "Oh it's just him/her, I call them later" when they are already doning nothing important or that can't be interupted? How many times have you glanced past a subject line on an e-mail or had one ignored because the recipent is used to seeing the same subject line or from name over and over.

I agree they might get tried of the calls. but itr would be hard for them to ignore when talk to them directly.

quote:

There is a danger that if we all get in the habit of picking up the phone or sending email, that the message will wind up as white noise.

After 20 of such calls I might be less careful about keeping track of time myself.

I guess we agree. but I'd still rather tune thier dials to that annoying scratch then let them leave it on that soothing wave sound.

quote:
I like his idea as well, but (Yes, I'm being sexist again) I can't imagine that the ladies will want it known that they'll be alone in the woods at a given time.

You know with comments like that how am I supposed to keep up a healthy life as a stalker. icon_razz.gif

quote:

QUOTEHope to meet you on the trail someday./QUOTE

can't quite get over the feeling that we're 99% in agreement here.

I came >< that close to heading to Chicago for a friends wake last month, I definitely would have made plans to get together with some local geocachers and probably would have bought you a beer.

If you don't mind a Mike's instead, you're on.

once again this was not a reply. This was not even here. you were not here. this never happened. icon_wink.gif

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

[This message was edited by Clan Ferguson on June 19, 2002 at 12:14 PM.]

quote:

If you're only sending email to *one* person than I agree,

quote:
If 100 people are notified, the odds of one of them checking their mail within that hour are pretty good

or you would geet 99 people asking to have a check box to get off that list because thier e-mail boxes are getting inundated with 'JOE-JOE is over due' because I forgot to post my log for a week.

quote:
I check my email maybe three times a day and I consisider myself compulsive about it.

I don't check my office e-mail that much. icon_smile.gif

quote:

and then relize it's not thier kid or the child is just looking for attention, then look away and move on with thier life. I too have seen this on the playground with my 4 year old.

And That's what I am afraid of. Everyform of electronic communition is IMHO just another way of brushing someone off until you have time to deal with them. How many people you know look at thier papger/cell phone when it buzzes and say "Oh it's just him/her, I call them later" when they are already doning nothing important or that can't be interupted? How many times have you glanced past a subject line on an e-mail or had one ignored because the recipent is used to seeing the same subject line or from name over and over.

I agree they might get tried of the calls. but itr would be hard for them to ignore when talk to them directly.

quote:

I guess we agree. but I'd still rather tune thier dials to that annoying scratch then let them leave it on that soothing wave sound.

quote:
I like his idea as well, but (Yes, I'm being sexist again) I can't imagine that the ladies will want it known that they'll be alone in the woods at a given time.

You know with comments like that how am I supposed to keep up a healthy life as a stalker. icon_razz.gif

quote:

QUOTEHope to meet you on the trail someday./QUOTE

can't quite get over the feeling that we're 99% in agreement here.

If you don't mind a Mike's instead, you're on.

once again this was not a reply. This was not even here. you were not here. this never happened. icon_wink.gif

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

[This message was edited by Clan Ferguson on June 19, 2002 at 12:14 PM.]

I hadn't thought about the "I don't want anyone knowing where I am unless I need help" aspect of things. (Guess that's why there are threads and not just posts. icon_smile.gif)

Anyway, how about if, when you set your itenerary, you can specify when it should become visible? I would set mine to become visible in one minute, while Wil Wheaton would likely set his to become visible about 24 hours later, even though some of us would like to meet him at a cache (possibly with a Sharpie and a few items).

The itenerary idea is actually rather orthogonal to the missing cacher notifications, though, so if you think it'd be best, we can break it into a separate thread. (As for the notification side of things, I would not *personally* use it, but it sounds intriguing and worthy of discussion in its own right.)

I hadn't thought about the "I don't want anyone knowing where I am unless I need help" aspect of things. (Guess that's why there are threads and not just posts. icon_smile.gif)

Anyway, how about if, when you set your itenerary, you can specify when it should become visible? I would set mine to become visible in one minute, while Wil Wheaton would likely set his to become visible about 24 hours later, even though some of us would like to meet him at a cache (possibly with a Sharpie and a few items).

The itenerary idea is actually rather orthogonal to the missing cacher notifications, though, so if you think it'd be best, we can break it into a separate thread. (As for the notification side of things, I would not *personally* use it, but it sounds intriguing and worthy of discussion in its own right.)

I know that geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon but I'd be willing to bet that there have been very, very few times, if any at all, where a geocacher has needed search and rescue. I'm sure there have been injuries and people that have gotten lost but I imagine everyone lived to tell of the adventure. Those are the kinds of things that make for great logs! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm in Indiana and I know that it's a whole different ballgame in some parts of the country. But it seems to me that there are easier ways to minimize risk. Plan ahead, mark your vehicle as a waypoint (I always forget this), carry adequate water and basic first aid supplies, use a compass, and, if it really truly is a dangerous area, go with a buddy (yeah I'm a scuba diver too).

For out-of-towners or those without regular geocaching partners, maybe geocaching.com could have a discussion forum for hooking up with other geocachers for some of the more challenging hunts.

It seems to me that we can only make our lives so safe. I don't advocate being reckless, but I do get tired of the old "if it saves just one life" argument. I know if I were hopelessly lost or injured and alone I might feel differently but that's the chance you take wandering off into the wilderness. Everyone needs to consider how much risk they're comfortable with and stay within those parameters. At this point in my life (married w/3 young kids), a solo hike in the wilderness sounds wonderful! And no, I wouldn't post it on a public itinerary!

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I know that geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon but I'd be willing to bet that there have been very, very few times, if any at all, where a geocacher has needed search and rescue. I'm sure there have been injuries and people that have gotten lost but I imagine everyone lived to tell of the adventure. Those are the kinds of things that make for great logs! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm in Indiana and I know that it's a whole different ballgame in some parts of the country. But it seems to me that there are easier ways to minimize risk. Plan ahead, mark your vehicle as a waypoint (I always forget this), carry adequate water and basic first aid supplies, use a compass, and, if it really truly is a dangerous area, go with a buddy (yeah I'm a scuba diver too).

For out-of-towners or those without regular geocaching partners, maybe geocaching.com could have a discussion forum for hooking up with other geocachers for some of the more challenging hunts.

It seems to me that we can only make our lives so safe. I don't advocate being reckless, but I do get tired of the old "if it saves just one life" argument. I know if I were hopelessly lost or injured and alone I might feel differently but that's the chance you take wandering off into the wilderness. Everyone needs to consider how much risk they're comfortable with and stay within those parameters. At this point in my life (married w/3 young kids), a solo hike in the wilderness sounds wonderful! And no, I wouldn't post it on a public itinerary!

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

GeoMedic, I couldn't agree more. I scratched my head when I read this one. If this is what people want to go through before they go out and find a cache...why even go cache hunting?

I've found 50 or so caches alone, by myself, and I never told anybody specifically where or what I was doing. Call me reckless but I never felt a need to have a safety net. I feel more threatned just driving to work. Its common sense to take the few precautions you suggested, but for the most part its just a walk in the woods.

That being said, there are a few (very few) caches where I would not venture forth without notifying someone. Again, common sense rules.

Lets keep this simple and fun.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

GeoMedic, I couldn't agree more. I scratched my head when I read this one. If this is what people want to go through before they go out and find a cache...why even go cache hunting?

I've found 50 or so caches alone, by myself, and I never told anybody specifically where or what I was doing. Call me reckless but I never felt a need to have a safety net. I feel more threatned just driving to work. Its common sense to take the few precautions you suggested, but for the most part its just a walk in the woods.

That being said, there are a few (very few) caches where I would not venture forth without notifying someone. Again, common sense rules.

Lets keep this simple and fun.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

quote:
GeoStars: I'm in Indiana

quote:
(yeah I'm a scuba diver too).

I know this is a discussion about something else....

But my mind just isn't able to wrap around these two statements.

As a Republican in Berkeley you'd think I could relate to this line of thinking but I've been to Indiana. The closest thing I ever did to SCUBA diving was to drive there from Ohio to save money on beer. (We didn't come for air after that trip for a long-long time)

Obligatory topic: That nobody has been seriously injured is a wonderful thing. I personally have almost punched my ticket when I lost footing on a steep slope.

I'm not saying that what I'm proposing is *THE* way to go with this.

I'm hoping that someone (like Clayjar) will come up with an even better idea.

Statistically speaking, this type of thing will eventually help someone in someway. If 99.99999999% of the effort is wasted, but that wasted effort is almost entirely performed by a computer, I can live with that.

YMMV

I am one of those that like to just go out and have my fun with out feeling like I need to tell someone where I’m going.

Here is my Idea!

Cacher hider places a new cache in a remote area. When filling out the cache info page he checks a box for “Remote Area Cache”

Cachers who like to cache alone can log into the site before going to hunt the cache and click a “going to try it today icon”

If the Cacher has not logged his find, non-find, or note in X number of hours emails are sent registered folks in the area.

There could also be a way to deactivate you “going to find” status for reasons such as: You went out to do another cache first and it took longer than you expected, something else came up, flat tire etc.

What do you think?

quote:
Originally posted be Eric O'Conner:

But my mind just isn't able to wrap around these two statements.

I originally became dive certified as part of newly forming county dive team (i.e. rescue diving). We have lots of lakes around here and unfortunately that means periodic drownings. The dive team didn't work out do to a lack of leadership and organization but I did enjoy diving and decided to pursue it as a hobby. We do quite a lot of traveling and I'm hoping to dive in other areas of the country. Right now, I'm currently without a dive partner so I haven't been out at all this year.

I'm sure lake diving isn't nearly as exciting as ocean diving but we do have some interesting things around here. There is a quarry in Ohio (but still reasonable close) that is set up purely for divers. It has lots of interesting fish that you can hand feed, various things that have been submerged (a plane, a bus, etc.) that you can dive in and around, and it's 100' or deeper so you can practice you deep diving skills. As odd as it seems, there are quite a number of dive shops in northern Indiana. People actually dive year-around here. I'm not quite that into it and don't want to spend the money for a drysuit so I stick to the warmer months.

I keep coming back to this thread. I guess it's because, for some reason, I think there is the kernel of a good idea here.

We call my wife's mother to let her know when we are caching in unfamiliar territory and when we should be back. But she doesn't really understand geocaching and has no idea what GPS coordinates are, so I can just imagine the phone call she would make to the police if we didn't return. I would rather have that call made by a cacher, but we don't know many in this area (maybe after a few more event caches).

As stated above, only those on your "buddy list" would be involved so others would not be inconvenienced in any way.

We've heard the argument about "use the phone", but I'd like to hear more ideas about how to make it workable.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

We've heard the argument about "use the phone", but I'd like to hear more ideas about how to make it workable.

I am self-employed and work at home so I tend to do most of my Geocaching during the week to reduce my chances of being foiled by "civilians." Unfortunately this also reduces the chances I'll be found if I become injured.

Most of the caches I search are in "greenbelt" areas within urban/suburban areas where there is adequate cell coverage. But I've also searched for a few that were "in the sticks" where I couldn't get a cell signal to save my life (fortunately it hasn't come to that).

Here's what I did those times:

1. Before leaving civilization, I use my cell phone to call home and leave a message on the recorder telling where I am going, and when I expect to return. If you don't a cell phone, just pull over and use a payphone before heading into the hills/forest/swamp/whatever.

2. Search for cache.

3. When I return to civilization, I call home again, enter my passcode to listen to the messages, and delete my message.

The idea is, if I don't return and delete my message, my wife will hear the message when she gets home and take appropriate action (which hopefully won't be to open the champagne).

And my wife knows that if she isn't going to be home until late, then she will call home to make sure I am there, and if not she'll listen to the messages remotely.

Fortunately I haven't had a problem yet, but when I'm out there, it's comforting to know that someone could at least FIND OUT where I am by listening to my answering machine.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:

If you hunt caches with a half dozen others this won't apply to you, but if you tend to head off by yourself and are worried that if you somehow ended up injured nobody would find you for an extended amount of time....

or simply use the dry erase board... at home, when i go off scuba diving or kayaking, i leave message on board for my wife stating: where we put in/what time, expected time of take out/where, and anticipated time home. i add to this a "panic time", where if no one sees me or hears from me, start thinking how you gonna spend the "big check". and if wife is not home i find a friend/neighbor i can rely on. no one home, save trip for another time.

i take full responsibility for my actions out in the field. i don't carry cell phone, but do carry emergency equipment for overnighte stays. so notifications don't have to be technical, nor do they have to be made at all if you are seriously not worried about consequences, and that's o.k. btw, if i knew 50 people got my e-mail of overdue cacher, i would worry about the recipients thinking "oh cacher-x MUST of notified someone by now", "hmmmm, cacher-y called it in i bet..." everyone thinking the OTHER person did, when NO ONE did. just some low tech thoughts, thanks. icon_rolleyes.gif

still lookin...

quote:

or simply use the dry erase board... at home, when i go off scuba diving or kayaking, i leave message on board for my wife stating: where we put in/what time, expected time of take out/where, and anticipated time home. i add to this a "panic time", where if no one sees me or hears from me, start thinking how you gonna spend the "big check". and if wife is not home i find a friend/neighbor i can rely on. no one home, save trip for another time.

i take full responsibility for my actions out in the field. i don't carry cell phone, but do carry emergency equipment for overnighte stays. so notifications don't have to be technical, nor do they have to be made at all if you are seriously not worried about consequences, and that's o.k. btw, if i knew 50 people got my e-mail of overdue cacher, i would worry about the recipients thinking "oh cacher-x MUST of notified someone by now", "hmmmm, cacher-y called it in i bet..." everyone thinking the OTHER person did, when NO ONE did. just some low tech thoughts, thanks. icon_rolleyes.gif

still lookin...

I have long thought that it would be a great way of meeting people/fellow cachers if we could search areas for geocachers much the same way we can search for the caches themselves. ie enter the coordinates for a given area and the geocache.com site pulls up a list of the 25 closest registered geocachers screen names, then you just email them to get together to hunt. This would be a great way for nubies to the sport, to get to know/meet some of the local hunters in their area. Sort of like the threads +++ regarding using FRS units @ the caches to help cachers meet each other.

An alternative would be to have a hot button to click on in the individual cache pages that registers you as wanting to hunt that cache in the near future. Anyone else interested in also hunting said cache can email the others to see if their hunt dates mesh to do it as a team/buddies.

GPS's...A step in the right direction!