Can multicaches have multiple physical caches?

teambaconpancakes

Newbie here! After just finding our 39th cache, my husband and I are itching to try hiding one of our own. I've read over the guidelines, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to post a multiple physical cache situation.

Basically we'd like to re-create our first date; it has three parts or significant areas we'd like to bring people, but we'd like to put a physical cache at each of the locations. (The first two would be micros -- the last being a small-sized container.) I thought maybe posting them as a multicache. . . but I'm not clear on whether or not multicaches can include more than one physical container, or if they must simply be clues and coordinates that move you along.

Would it just be better to do three traditional caches but have them listed as part of a series like "Cache part 1", "Cache part 2", etc?

The multis I've done have all had physical containers containing the coordinates to the next step. And I see nothing wrong with putting a little paper in there describing the place and why you chose it, if you decided to do that. But only put a log in the last one.

IMHO. :)

Edited by TriciaG

The multis I've done have all had physical containers containing the coordinates to the next step. And I see nothing wrong with putting a little paper in there describing the place and why you chose it, if you decided to do that. But only put a log in the last one.

IMHO. :)

Thanks! As long as there's no rules or complications against it then, it looks like I'm golden! :D

Technically a multi-cache has to have more than one physical container. If it is a clue such as go to this location and count the benches, it would be a ?, or possibly a field puzzle.

Each of those locations has to on the cache page, but they can be hidden so only you and the reviewer will see them. This is because each individual container still has to conform to all of the guidelines, including being .10 miles from other caches.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Technically a multi-cache has to have more than one physical container. If it is a clue such as go to this location and count the benches, it would be a ?, or possibly a field puzzle.

Each of those locations has to on the cache page, but they can be hidden so only you and the reviewer will see them. This is because each individual container still has to conform to all of the guidelines, including being .10 miles from other caches.

That first section isn't true, I've seen plenty with more than one physical container. There has to be more than location though.

According to the Geocache Types page, a multi-cache "involves two or more locations." The details of those multiple locations vary quite a bit from one multi-cache to another.

Sometimes there are only two locations (the first stage and the final cache location). Sometimes there is a series of locations, and each location provides information that leads to the next. Sometimes information from several locations is combined to produce the coordinates for the final location.

Sometimes the information at a stage is provided by the cache owner (for example, on a slip of paper in a micro-size container, or on a metal tag). These stages are listed as "Stages of a Multicache" waypoints.

Sometimes the information at a stage uses pre-existing objects (for example, writing on plaque, or counting figures on a public mural). These stages are listed as "Question to Answer" (or sometimes, as "Reference Point") waypoints.

But all of these variations can fit under the "multi-cache" umbrella.

But there are also regional variations. For example, around here, multi-stage caches where you merely copy information from an existing plaque are consistently listed as multi-caches. But when I visited Massachusetts last year, such caches were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches.

That first section isn't true, I've seen plenty with more than one physical container. There has to be more than location though.

Ummm. You just said what I put was false the provided evidence why what I said was true... :unsure:

Would it just be better to do three traditional caches but have them listed as part of a series like "Cache part 1", "Cache part 2", etc?

An advantage of a series of individual caches is that you can move or archive one of the containers without affecting the others. Plus there's more than 1 smiley! :anicute:

An advantage of having them all as "stages" in a single cache, is it's all on one cache page. Be sure any containers can't be confused for the "Final". When cachers mistakenly assume they've found the cache, they may leave a signed slip of paper and a "Needs Maintenance" log (since the Stage had no cache log to sign).

Edited by kunarion
Technically a multi-cache has to have more than one physical container.
No, a multi-cache has to have more than one location. There only needs to be one physical container.

If it is a clue such as go to this location and count the benches, it would be a ?, or possibly a field puzzle.
Most of the places I've been, a multi-stage cache like that (count the benches, copy information from a plaque, etc.) would be listed as a multi-cache. The first stage is a virtual ("Question to Answer") waypoint.

But there are regional variations. Maybe Alberta is like Massachusetts. When I visited Massachusetts last year, I found that caches like that were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches.

I would just put out 3 traditional caches. Traditionals are found more often and if 1 goes missing, you're not hooped.

This is what I actually ended up doing, haha. Figured it was more likely to entice more cachers this way, and also has the benefit that if they can't find one they can still go hunting for the other ones. It's win-win for everyone~