Make "Show Nearby Caches" Show Puzzles at Corrected Coordinates

JL_HSTRE

If I go to a cache page and click "Find All Nearby Caches" it is a great way to avoid proximity issues before publishing a cache. However, it doesn't account for nearby puzzles, even if the Corrected Coordinates have been entered for the puzzle. Maybe this could be a PM feature at least?

Good idea but then people could find puzzle caches by guessing at the coords and it will show them how far away they are. They would beable to find the cache without solving the puzzle.

I don't see how it would - if you've entered the coordinates you calculated for a cache and it shows those coordinates on the map or on the list it doesn't tell you whether you are right or not.

If you get the puzzle wrong and conclude the cache is in a park a few miles from where it really is you might end up thinking you can't place a cache in that park when you really can, and you might end up thinking you can place a cache in a park when you really can't (and if you try the reviewer will reject it based on proximity issues) but it won't tell you anything about what caches are where. It certainly won't tell you any more than you currently get to know if a reviewer rejects a cache based on proximity to another cache.

Good idea but then people could find puzzle caches by guessing at the coords and it will show them how far away they are. They would beable to find the cache without solving the puzzle.

I'm talking about the corrected coordinates you can enter on the cache page, not the Final waypoint entered by the CO. If you didn't solve the puzzle correctly you won't get accurate results.

As long as the subject has been brought up, I would like to put a cache in a local park that has a multi-cache with three stages and a three star terrain rating. The park does have several steep hills and I have a bad knee so I don't think I want to go looking for it. It would be a real pain to put mine out and then end up having to go back and move it three or four times. I thought about picking two or three spots and emailing the coordinates to the reviewer, hoping they would give me the info I need. How do some of you guys handle it?

As long as the subject has been brought up, I would like to put a cache in a local park that has a multi-cache with three stages and a three star terrain rating. The park does have several steep hills and I have a bad knee so I don't think I want to go looking for it. It would be a real pain to put mine out and then end up having to go back and move it three or four times. I thought about picking two or three spots and emailing the coordinates to the reviewer, hoping they would give me the info I need. How do some of you guys handle it?

Ask your reviewer.

Sometimes they will want you to create a un-enabled listing with your proposed co-ordinates.

Sometimes they will want you to send a PM with the proposed co-ordinates.

If you have several locations in mind that would work equally well for you, I would think a PM with all the possible co-ordinates would work best...but you will want to do it however the reviewer prefers.

Ask your reviewer.

Sometimes they will want you to create a un-enabled listing with your proposed co-ordinates.

Sometimes they will want you to send a PM with the proposed co-ordinates.

If you have several locations in mind that would work equally well for you, I would think a PM with all the possible co-ordinates would work best...but you will want to do it however the reviewer prefers.

See also the Help Center article Checking for Cache Saturation.

If I go to a cache page and click "Find All Nearby Caches" it is a great way to avoid proximity issues before publishing a cache. However, it doesn't account for nearby puzzles, even if the Corrected Coordinates have been entered for the puzzle. Maybe this could be a PM feature at least?

Great idea. It's hard to believe that the user corrected coordinates haven't been integrated into all aspects of the site. It seems like a no brainer.

Taking the above suggestion one step further I can't see why it would hurt anything to not count the stages in a multi cache other then the posted coordinates and the coordinates for the final cache. There was a cache in a local park that is quite large that had six stages plus the posted coordinates and the final cache. I did this one and it tied up half of the park. You can find a dozen places to hide a micro but the way the rules are now it makes it much harder to find a spot to hide something the size of an ammo can.