Geo Coins

Stryker66

Why do people find it necessary to take your Geo Coins out of a geocache and decide to keep it instead of placing it in another one so that it can try to complete its journey.

They don't know any better.

They have little respect for others, or others' property.

They'd like to do the right thing, but the logs are so scrambled, they can't figure out what to do next.

They're disorganized and lose things, and have been burned before by angry coin owners, when admitting they lost a Geocoin, so now they just let it vanish in silence.

They take and keep everything they find, as a force of habit.

They let their young children take anything they like from a cache container, with no parental oversight.

They're jaded by losing Trackables themselves with no recourse, and want to show people “what it's like”.

They profit by stealing and selling the coins, since there's no real penalty.

They're angry in general, and do this kind of thing in every aspect of their lives as a cry for help.

They are non-caching neighbor kids who use the well-known Geocache as their own personal toy box.

They tried Geocaching a couple of times and have lost interest, and everything's in a drawer somewhere.

The coin is in a little-visited cache container, doing just fine, but the logs were done incorrectly.

And there are many more reasons.

Edited by kunarion

Why do people find it necessary to take your Geo Coins out of a geocache and decide to keep it instead of placing it in another one so that it can try to complete its journey.

They don't know any better.

They have little respect for others, or others' property.

They'd like to do the right thing, but the logs are so scrambled, they can't figure out what to do next.

They're disorganized and lose things, and have been burned before by angry coin owners, when admitting they lost a Geocoin, so now they just let it vanish in silence.

They take and keep everything they find, as a force of habit.

They let their young children take anything they like from a cache container, with no parental oversight.

They're jaded by losing Trackables themselves with no recourse, and want to show people “what it's like”.

They profit by stealing and selling the coins, since there's no real penalty.

They're angry in general, and do this kind of thing in every aspect of their lives as a cry for help.

They are non-caching neighbor kids who use the well-known Geocache as their own personal toy box.

They tried Geocaching a couple of times and have lost interest, and everything's in a drawer somewhere.

The coin is in a little-visited cache container, doing just fine, but the logs were done incorrectly.

And there are many more reasons.

I think this summoned it up well :-)

Any number of things could happen. Some inadvertant, some greedy, some accidental, some through lack of education, some beyond our control.

I have found a geocoin in the bottom of my geocaching knacksack months after I picked it up out of a cache. I felt so bad and immediately placed it in a cache with an "I'm sorry" e-mail to the geocoin owner.

In the case of a Travel Bug, which could have been a Christmas geocoin, I took it from a cache because it was a broken porcelain couple representing their wedding or anniversary. I e-mailed the TB owner I was going to fix it and then return it to a cache. I tried a couple of pretty strong adhesives, which didn't work. Then it disappeared - for a couple of years. Then we discovered that one of my wife's caregivers (who no longer works for her) had put the porcelain wedding couple in one of the boxes of our Christmas ornaments. So I now have it back after a couple of years and I need to get it fixed and back in the cache.

What kunarion said... and was doing such a good job I wish they'd gone on a little longer.

Also people like pretty things that are shiny and with no one looking larceny creeps into the heart of the uncivilized barbarian, or just the poorly raised (see reason #6).

Edited by Droo

In the case of a TB connected to a toy or trinket, it can be taken by a young member of a caching group unbeknownst to the parents so then the "hotwheel" they took out of the cache (with a dogtag) as swag inadvertenly left the tracking scene and into someones toybox forever. I had a geocoin I started out in one of my ammo can geocaches. After a few months I went back to get it and it was gone. Maybe since it was a micro coin it may have got dropped on the way from the cache back to the cachemobile.

I think alot of people just try to see how many they can get and keep for themselves. The thing may have traveled halfway around the world but all of the sudden it lands in their possession and they decide it's their personal property. It's not an oversight when they are logging that they "took" it here and there for weeks, months, even years on end. Unless they think that constitutes moving the coin.

I like to see coins move from cache to cache, from person to person. I'm leery of placing trackables because I know that if found by certain geocachers in my area it will be "taken" from cache to cache constantly but never dropped off again. I was just looking at one this morning that a local cacher picked up on 1/31/2012 and logged with the note "will move soon". It's moved allright in the last year and a half, but has never left their possession.