First day catching and some questions

Hi guys,

I discovered the whole concept a few years ago from watching David DeFranco videos online. However I never managed to actually got into this properly as my first catch back then was an urban one and not a very good one at that. Since then I have re descovered geocaching. Today was my first day out in the wild doing it... and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Really enjoyed my self, managed to see amazing scenory and wildlife that was on my doorstep that I had never discovered previously. I can see my self getting really addicted to this. Its a lot of fun and a great way to keep fit as well.

Now on to the questions...

First one being what is the best way to let a member know that the catche that they have hidden is missing or damaged?

Second how big is the community in London and Essex?

And lastly how accurate is the iPhone when it comes to posting cords for hides?

Thanks

TheBrofessor

Hi guys,

I discovered the whole concept a few years ago from watching David DeFranco videos online. However I never managed to actually got into this properly as my first catch back then was an urban one and not a very good one at that. Since then I have re descovered geocaching. Today was my first day out in the wild doing it... and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Really enjoyed my self, managed to see amazing scenory and wildlife that was on my doorstep that I had never discovered previously. I can see my self getting really addicted to this. Its a lot of fun and a great way to keep fit as well.

First one being what is the best way to let a member know that the catche that they have hidden is missing or damaged?

Thanks

TheBrofessor

First, Welcome to the game.

Next, it is geoCACHE, not geoCATCH.

Now, to your questions.....

1. If you did not find the cache, log a DNF. It is not a failure and it is not a bad score. It is merely a log that you were there and looked. After however many DNFs the owner thinks is appropriate, they SHOULD go out and check the status of their cache. If you found it but it is in bad shape, log your find, and then log a "needs maintenance" to notify the owner of a problem.

2. Sorry, I'm in Texas. Can't help you there.

3. I've heard and seen various results on using the iPhone, or any smartphone, for getting coords. Personally, I would not do it. If I did not have a GPSr, I would borrow one to get coords.

On a side not, before you hide your first cache PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read and re-read and understand the guidelines and be sure your cache complies. It would also be good for you to find a wide variety of cache types and sizes before you hide anything. It would give you a broader sense of what you can do with a cache.

Again, welcome to the game. Above all, HAVE FUN!

I agree with Semper on 1 and 2 (I'm in Calgary) but as for number 3...

...since I have geocaches with both my iPhone 4S and my Garmin GPSMap 60 Cx, I would use a dedicated GPSr to get the coordinates of a hide. Mainly for the fact that most geocachers will be using a dedicated GPSr to find it with.

Hi guys,

Thanks

TheBrofessor

About using your iphone.............

I have a Samsung galaxy s2 and i dont have great service where i live but usually where i cache i have fine service. I have been using my phone for geocaching but there have been numerous attempts where i had to give up because my phone was driving me crazy.No matter how much service i had, where i was, my power, It took forever to load, or didnt load. It was so frustrating. I finally decided to buy a gps (magellan explorist gc) It should arrive soon. If you really want to get into geocaching buy a gps. It doesnt have to be expensive, but look at reviews first. But keeping your iphone with you for extra help or for quick park and grabs would be a great idea. That is what i am planning to do. Good Luck!

Hi guys,

Thanks

TheBrofessor

Hi also and welcome to geocaching. I'm going toffee a slightly different take and as I'm also from Essex originally it should be a bit more down to earth. In answer to your questions ....

1.' Since we have been geocaching which isn't that long at all there is a slight thing which new geocachers do which is assume a cache is missing because they could not find it. See it quite often. As you geocache for longer you discover that certain cachers will hide a cache under a pile of sticks "stickoflage" or stones. These are usually easy to find but we don't always manage it lol. However some will hide it in a horrendously difficult to find way. As you cache more you will learn from reading the logs and getting used to certain cachers hides, who does what. But the main thing to remember is that it isn't necessarily missing because you could t find it. Just log a DNF. Did not find. This is the best way. As more dnf's are logged it will become apparent to the cache owner that something 'may' be amiss with their cache. Different hides will generate more or less dnf's.

2.The community in Essex is quite large. But it is a bit like how long is a piece of string. What do you call big etc. the best way to see is to see the cache placement amount. The best way to see is to click on play on the menu bar. Type in your village in Essex. Then select 40 miles around it which should take in London. Well it would t when I lived there but will now lol. Then click search. This will bring up a list. Then click on map this location. This will allow you to see all the caches in that area. Click on any of the symbols and this being up a tab showing you the cache name. If you want to get your numbers up quicker I would suggest the Chelmsford canal walk. It's huge and the hides do not come much easier. It's also a great great walk and could be completed in a day if you are dropped off at one end and met at the other end. But most cachers are amazed when they get more than ten in a day. Later you hit these "power trails" and your previous day count is blasted into the near hundred mark. Anyway there are plenty of different trails around there.

3. The general rule of thumb is find at least 100 geocaches before hiding one. Some do some don't. I would say enjoy the hobby first and see if its for you. Experience a few months of it at least experiencing different hides to learn the one you enjoy finding most. Then do the same in an area you would enjoy being brought to. But above all else, as has already been explained - read the rules on geocaching. Sorry 'guidelines'. When you place a cache you will be excited. If someone finds it and puts TFTC (thanks for the cache) it will be ok. But you may feel a bit disapointed. Remember that when you write a log for a cache. Give the cache owner a bit more enjoyment and write a nice log.

iPhones. - had them for years now and although you will get different opinions - never ever put out a cache yourself with an iPhone. The coordinates will be based on triangulation of your location. This can be very accurate or totally crap. Depending on where you are. What network you are on, the weather, the day etc. it's just not worth the risk. Remember if they cannot find it - DNF. If you get lots of dnf's people may moan. If they moan you won't enjoy it. And really there is no need. A friendly cacher will often volunteer to help you. Attend a meeting in your area and get to know some of them. Someone may even have a GPS they will be willing to lend you. My folks lent some new cachers a GPS for a year. It is usually a very friendly hobby. But like all things that involve people it involves all sorts of personalities. Some good some bad. But as you cache longer you will get to know who you get on with. You could even find a cache buddy. Someone who you can cache with.

Finally - because it's not really pushed in the guidelines - TB's. travel bugs. These are various types of object that you may find in a cache. In a cache you may find swaps. Toys, marbles and various bits and bobs. These are swaps. Take something you like but leave something of equal or greater value. But sometimes you will find a TB or geocoin. These are placed in caches by someone and travel the globe, going from geocache to geocache. Sometimes they have a mission and sometimes it's just to gain miles. They can be anything. A huge Smurf toy or a tiny marble or a coin. TB's will usually have a thin aluminium dog tag type thing on it with a Beatle bar code design. But not always. There are variations. And you also get coins. These come in all shapes and sizes. But they all have a unique number on them. This is used to log them. You can find details out here about how they are logged in and out of a cache or how to deal with them. But it is very important that it is done properly. So many new cachers pick them up and they are never seen again. Which is unfair and spoils part of the hobby. Not much emphasis is put on TB's and how to deal with them for new cachers but it is very important to respect this part of geocaching. They aren't cheap and some people have lost hundreds.

Guidelines link - http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

This tells you the answer to all of your questions. TB's have their own section. Just scroll down.

And have a great time and let us know when you get your GPS. I would recommend the garmin 450 myself. Cheapish - well supported - waterproof to depth. But the latest looker on the block is the montanna. Brother has one and loves it. It's bigger but does much more.

The iPhone app in my experience is total pants. But it has been useful in certain circumstances. Like when someone has out out a series using an iPhone for the coords lol.

Best wishes and good luck.

Can't say much abot Essex, but London has quite a healty community. You don't find too many people on these forums these days, but there is an event series organized by goldpot - London event that takes place every month. That is probably the best way to start if you want to get to know local cachers. The next one (GC4F5H3) is on the 23rd and you'll be more than welcome to drop by.

Unlike some, I actually believe today's smartphones usually do give fairly good coords; however, I definitely wouldn't base your coords on only one measurement made by your iPhone. What I normally do is I take repeated measurements with both my phone and my GPSr (and they are usually very close) and check the resulting coords on google and OSM maps before submitting them. Normally your GPSr will have a function called averaging which basically means it will take as many measurements you tell it to and give you the "averaged" coords. There are apps that you can use to make your phone do the same.

Edited by Pja_cz

what is the best way to let a member know that the cache that they have hidden is missing

Log your visit from the cache page and choose "Did not find" from the drop down list. Write some details of perhaps how long you may have searched for it and where you looked. Over time, a collection of these "did not find" logs will alert the owner to the fact that the cache may be missing (or better-hidden than the difficulty rating calls for! ;) )

or damaged?

Log your visit from the cache page and choose "Found It" from the drop down list. Then write a SECOND log, this time choosing "Needs Maintenance" from the same list. Write some details as to what's wrong with the container.

Check out that "well-known social networking site" and search for the term essex geocachers... or look for a regular monthly event being held in the county and go along to say hi.

Not brilliant, but you can increase your chances of getting the co-ordinates right by taking several readings over several days and taking an average of them.

Seaglass Pirates - Thank you very much for the in depth answer, it has cleared up a lot of confusion. Much appreciated.

Pja_cz - im off work that day so hopefully Il see you down there. Any more info on where and what time?

The Blorenges - Will check it out and send a request. Thanks

mellers - Thanks for your help too.

MartyBartfast - Is the London group a closed one too?

Im really surprised by the amount of responses and how quick you guys have wrote then. Thank you all very much. I was expecting it to be rather quiet in this part of the world as it doesn't seem to be as big as it is the USA or elsehwere. But guess I was wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on where is a good place to shop for a GPS? If you have please drop me a pm.

Thanks all once again.

MartyBartfast - Is the London group a closed one too?

I think all the UK Geocaching groups I've joined are closed groups, but that's just to keep out spammers trying to sell handbags/trainers etc. Just send a request to join and you should be let in straight away.

The next London Event is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0f8363b1-93ec-49f5-be72-1d046a8186bb which is at the "Dogget's Coat and Badge" on the Thames at the Southern end of Blackfriars Bridge. They usually kick off from 17:00, until the last stragglers get booted out by the Landlord ;-) I'll be there as well as Pja_cz. Just look for a loosely grouped bunch of people hanging around chatting, I would expect there to be in the region of 30 attendees but they tend to come and go through the evening however there's usually a core of at least a dozen at any one time, also there will usually be a table with a pile of Travel Bug on it close by. The plan is to be in the garden at the back if it's nice or somewhere inside if not. Don't do what I did last time we had an event there and turn up the day before 'cos it's a large pub on about 4 floors and I was wandering around for ages looking for everybody before I eventually realised what I'd done and just settled down for a pint on my own :-(

Re buying a GPS, if you're intending to go to the event I would hang on until then, as there will probably be a number of cachers who've brought their GPSs along so you'll have a chance have a good look and get personal feedback on them all.

When all's said and done though you'll almost certainly get the best price from an online retailer whichever GPS you go for.

Agree with Marty but the problem with that is everyone will have two or three options and will usually always prefer their own gps lol.

What you want is ... one that makes caching easier and to do that the best is based on:

1. Price price price

2. Accuracy for price

3. Ease of use with geocaching.com and as an external device so maps available for other activities.

4. Protection available for your device.

You can decided what one is best based on reviews but a better guide is how many good reviews a GPS unit has in the price range you can afford. When I got mine it was a christmas present. At the time a famous online store that is having scrutiny about its tax payments was offering the maps and GPS unit for less than just the GPS unit. That was last christmas. The maps can be downloaded from garmin or bought in a micro SD card. Either way the maps alone will cost you £115.oo from garmin for the whole of the south of england and wales at 1 to 50,000. resolution. 1 to 25,000 are more accurate but I cannot find them or a price for the orgegon 450. The 450 also has a slightly more expensive brother and has a camera onboard for taking pictures. If you get into Waymarking later, this may be useful but if you are going to cart an iphone around as well ... no point. Better camera on that. You have it anyway. May as well save a few quid.

Anyway there is also a less goochi looking version of the oregon for the exact same price and looks like a 90's mobile phone. But it is slightly more accurate. My folks have one and she always homes in on it faster. Its not touch screen though like the 450. And thats boring because you cannot finger drag the maps across you have to press paddles to scroll across the map. But it is slightly more accurate because of its external antenna. There is always an argument between Garmin and Magellan - but its not quite the argument between HTC and iphone and Mac or Windows. The magellans have their fans but snce ive been caching the most GPS units we have seen around are the 450 and the montanna. Montanna does much more. You will also see a lot with a bright yellow one ... an etrex i think it is. Dunno much about them to be honest but accuracy for your budget is the key principle.

Garmin support - well the oregons and older do - paperless geocaching. Which some of the old and bolds dont even know about. But basically every time you log a find on your GPS it will make a record and a record of the time. The time is set by its sat signals so you dont have to worry. This is useful for seeing how long a cache took to find. Anyway it logs each cache on a 'visits list' You connect GPS up to your pc when you get home. Go to geocaching. From the menu system select upload field notes. It will open your PC files and folders. The GPS is an external device listed under 'my computer'. Click on the garmin blue triangle. Then find a txt document called VISITS.TXT. Select that file and upload. The screen refreshes and all your finds and DNF's appear as field notes. Then you can access these from your geocaching profile at any time and write a log of the cache. Submit it and it posts it on that caches page. You can also write small notes as you go to remind you of that cache ... "angry cow" - "dropped pathtag" etc. I usually write the hint of that cache to remind me. Anyway no paper was used to record your visits. Otherwise you will have to write each cache down you visit. When you get home, search for that cache, then log your visit very manually. It does not sound much but when you are doing 50+ its becomes a bind to search for each GC number or cache by name so you can log it. So anything that supports paperless geocaching is very handy.

Waterproof. You will fall in or drop it at some point. And also you need a good case for it if you want it to last longer. The 450 and others are supported by cases available on the same site as the GPS units and sell for about £12.00 But the corners are not covered. Bit of a nightmare if you lean foreward to look for a cache and it bangs of a granite rock. However you can get a very tough, thick, and it floats, case which is much better but takes a while to come and that is the gizmovest case for the GPS. It has just cost me £30.00 to come from the states but other half has one and its really tough. However the screen is always going to be vulnerable because its touch screen. So has to be exposed to a degree. The gizmovest has a high edge to help this be safer. The screen of the iphone works on conductivity but garmins work on pressure. So you can calibrate the 450's screen to work within a case and even with a thick screen cover on it. And it works perfectly.

I know the montanna has a gizmovest cover, as does the 450 ... well actually it covers the 0regon 300 to 550T? i think it is.

I mean the variable on different GPS's are endless. If money was no object I would still choose the 450 as the montanna seems a bit big. Slightly larger than an iphone 5 and thicker. The 450 is the size of a nokia. But as I said it can do much more and so potentially will be supported for longer. Someone else will have to comment on other brands but I know I wouldnt change. Oh and you can also tweek with the 450 under tree cover to make it more accurate. I've tried it and it does work. And thats to go to settings and select WAAS. Its supposed to average the readings better.

But really the biggest thing to remember is, get the most accurate for your budget that you like. And bare in mind that its only as accurate as the person who put the cache out and their GPS. So if yours is a budget model as well it will maginify the error in coordinates when you are searching.

Quick price comparison - http://www.price4.co.uk/garmin-oregon-450-11302.aspx

I think all the UK Geocaching groups I've joined are closed groups, but that's just to keep out spammers trying to sell handbags/trainers etc. Just send a request to join and you should be let in straight away.

The next London Event is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0f8363b1-93ec-49f5-be72-1d046a8186bb which is at the "Dogget's Coat and Badge" on the Thames at the Southern end of Blackfriars Bridge. They usually kick off from 17:00, until the last stragglers get booted out by the Landlord ;-) I'll be there as well as Pja_cz. Just look for a loosely grouped bunch of people hanging around chatting, I would expect there to be in the region of 30 attendees but they tend to come and go through the evening however there's usually a core of at least a dozen at any one time, also there will usually be a table with a pile of Travel Bug on it close by. The plan is to be in the garden at the back if it's nice or somewhere inside if not. Don't do what I did last time we had an event there and turn up the day before 'cos it's a large pub on about 4 floors and I was wandering around for ages looking for everybody before I eventually realised what I'd done and just settled down for a pint on my own :-(

Iv added it to my diary, so as long as I dont get called in to work I shall be there to meet a few of you guys. And il make sure to have the right date ;)

Also the GPS advice sounds good, its best to see it in person and see what people think of it before committing to the purchase.

Thanks

Agree with Marty but the problem with that is everyone will have two or three options and will usually always prefer their own gps lol.

What you want is ... one that makes caching easier and to do that the best is based on:

1. Price price price

2. Accuracy for price

3. Ease of use with geocaching.com and as an external device so maps available for other activities.

4. Protection available for your device.

You can decided what one is best based on reviews but a better guide is how many good reviews a GPS unit has in the price range you can afford. When I got mine it was a christmas present. At the time a famous online store that is having scrutiny about its tax payments was offering the maps and GPS unit for less than just the GPS unit. That was last christmas. The maps can be downloaded from garmin or bought in a micro SD card. Either way the maps alone will cost you £115.oo from garmin for the whole of the south of england and wales at 1 to 50,000. resolution. 1 to 25,000 are more accurate but I cannot find them or a price for the orgegon 450. The 450 also has a slightly more expensive brother and has a camera onboard for taking pictures. If you get into Waymarking later, this may be useful but if you are going to cart an iphone around as well ... no point. Better camera on that. You have it anyway. May as well save a few quid.

Anyway there is also a less goochi looking version of the oregon for the exact same price and looks like a 90's mobile phone. But it is slightly more accurate. My folks have one and she always homes in on it faster. Its not touch screen though like the 450. And thats boring because you cannot finger drag the maps across you have to press paddles to scroll across the map. But it is slightly more accurate because of its external antenna. There is always an argument between Garmin and Magellan - but its not quite the argument between HTC and iphone and Mac or Windows. The magellans have their fans but snce ive been caching the most GPS units we have seen around are the 450 and the montanna. Montanna does much more. You will also see a lot with a bright yellow one ... an etrex i think it is. Dunno much about them to be honest but accuracy for your budget is the key principle.

Garmin support - well the oregons and older do - paperless geocaching. Which some of the old and bolds dont even know about. But basically every time you log a find on your GPS it will make a record and a record of the time. The time is set by its sat signals so you dont have to worry. This is useful for seeing how long a cache took to find. Anyway it logs each cache on a 'visits list' You connect GPS up to your pc when you get home. Go to geocaching. From the menu system select upload field notes. It will open your PC files and folders. The GPS is an external device listed under 'my computer'. Click on the garmin blue triangle. Then find a txt document called VISITS.TXT. Select that file and upload. The screen refreshes and all your finds and DNF's appear as field notes. Then you can access these from your geocaching profile at any time and write a log of the cache. Submit it and it posts it on that caches page. You can also write small notes as you go to remind you of that cache ... "angry cow" - "dropped pathtag" etc. I usually write the hint of that cache to remind me. Anyway no paper was used to record your visits. Otherwise you will have to write each cache down you visit. When you get home, search for that cache, then log your visit very manually. It does not sound much but when you are doing 50+ its becomes a bind to search for each GC number or cache by name so you can log it. So anything that supports paperless geocaching is very handy.

Waterproof. You will fall in or drop it at some point. And also you need a good case for it if you want it to last longer. The 450 and others are supported by cases available on the same site as the GPS units and sell for about £12.00 But the corners are not covered. Bit of a nightmare if you lean foreward to look for a cache and it bangs of a granite rock. However you can get a very tough, thick, and it floats, case which is much better but takes a while to come and that is the gizmovest case for the GPS. It has just cost me £30.00 to come from the states but other half has one and its really tough. However the screen is always going to be vulnerable because its touch screen. So has to be exposed to a degree. The gizmovest has a high edge to help this be safer. The screen of the iphone works on conductivity but garmins work on pressure. So you can calibrate the 450's screen to work within a case and even with a thick screen cover on it. And it works perfectly.

I know the montanna has a gizmovest cover, as does the 450 ... well actually it covers the 0regon 300 to 550T? i think it is.

I mean the variable on different GPS's are endless. If money was no object I would still choose the 450 as the montanna seems a bit big. Slightly larger than an iphone 5 and thicker. The 450 is the size of a nokia. But as I said it can do much more and so potentially will be supported for longer. Someone else will have to comment on other brands but I know I wouldnt change. Oh and you can also tweek with the 450 under tree cover to make it more accurate. I've tried it and it does work. And thats to go to settings and select WAAS. Its supposed to average the readings better.

But really the biggest thing to remember is, get the most accurate for your budget that you like. And bare in mind that its only as accurate as the person who put the cache out and their GPS. So if yours is a budget model as well it will maginify the error in coordinates when you are searching.

Quick price comparison - http://www.price4.co.uk/garmin-oregon-450-11302.aspx

Thanks a lot for that information. Gives me something to think about.

One question tho, How are the GPS systems to use with Mac? Are they supported by the GPS software?

Mac compatible - pass, I dont like being told I cannot do something when I know it can be done lol so its windows for me. I mean it will be. Erm found this ...

http://www8.garmin.com/osx/

but a mac user is really the best source there because "hey we are mac and we work with everything" does not mean they do easily. Eventually maybe but sometimes it draws blood in the process. I would imagine its no different from a users perspective.

Mac compatible - pass, I dont like being told I cannot do something when I know it can be done lol so its windows for me. I mean it will be. Erm found this ...

http://www8.garmin.com/osx/

but a mac user is really the best source there because "hey we are mac and we work with everything" does not mean they do easily. Eventually maybe but sometimes it draws blood in the process. I would imagine its no different from a users perspective.

Thanks for the link

Just because you cant find it, doesn't mean it's missing!

Don't be embarrassed about a DNF (Did Not Find) log.

Often they are the better logs!

Garmins work well with Macs.

The only reason im thinking its missing is because I have found the magnet that i believe was holding the micro but the resto of the cache is gone?

Maybe its just a coincidence.

And thanks for the heads up about the mac.