Your Statistics - Add Elevation

DellerClan

This would be difficult, since elevation is not one of the parameters of a cache as displayed on Geocaching.com.

There is a GSAK macro that will find the elevations of the waypoints (caches) in your database and update the 'Elevation' field.

Sadly, the macro only works for caches in the US.

With the FindStatGen macro (and another helper macro) you can show your impressive high and low elevation stats on your profile page.

See my public profile as an example.

This would be difficult, since elevation is not one of the parameters of a cache as displayed on Geocaching.com.

There is a GSAK macro that will find the elevations of the waypoints (caches) in your database and update the 'Elevation' field.

Sadly, the macro only works for caches in the US.

With the FindStatGen macro (and another helper macro) you can show your impressive high and low elevation stats on your profile page.

See my public profile as an example.

The macro is deprecated since elevation is now built in to GSAK. I believe that the elevation field is world wide. Check here.

The macro is deprecated since elevation is now built in to GSAK. I believe that the elevation field is world wide. Check here.

Interesting!

I guess I need to dig in and look at my GSAK configuration since I still have waypoints with ZERO elevation.

In other words, if it's built-in, why isn't it working?

You need to proactively retrieve the cache's elevation and apply it to the GSAK record. Its like the FTF field; it is part of the GSAK database record, but isn't updated by downloading a PQ or updating through the API -- its up to you to check it off or not.

The way my elevations get updated is by running the FindStatGen macro. There's probably a way to do the elevation updates separately but I haven't looked.

Interesting!

I guess I need to dig in and look at my GSAK configuration since I still have waypoints with ZERO elevation.

You need to proactively retrieve the cache's elevation and apply it to the GSAK record. Its like the FTF field; it is part of the GSAK database record, but isn't updated by downloading a PQ or updating through the API -- its up to you to check it off or not.

The way my elevations get updated is by running the FindStatGen macro. There's probably a way to do the elevation updates separately but I haven't looked.

If the resolution field is non-blank then the elevation field will not update. To update automagically, in the load dialog you need to have an M or A in the elevation option. They will update on a refresh.

Interesting!

I don't think the FIndStatGen macro can update the elevations in your database, it generates your stats based on what is already there.

Interesting!

If the resolution field is non-blank then the elevation field will not update. To update automagically, in the load dialog you need to have an M or A in the elevation option. They will update on a refresh.

Thanks!

I see the field now and have added an 'A'.

OoOoOo! GSAK is 'checking for updated elevations'!

AWESOME!

I don't think the FIndStatGen macro can update the elevations in your database, it generates your stats based on what is already there.

It definitely does. I just ran it and print-screened the dialog box that appears when there are entries with no elevation. Unfortunately, the macro uses the clipboard and the screenshot was unavailable for pasting into Paint afterwards.

So I went right to the source and opened up the macro file itself. Interestingly, it will look in multiple places to find the info it needs (I snipped the actual macro code and left the comments showing from where the data is retrieved):

BEGINSUB name=GetElevationsFromWeb
	# First try USA 3m/10m - Thanks to Cairngorm for this code! :-)

# Next try Geonames Aster 30m if we haven't timed out in this run

# If no 30m data then try Geonames 90m if we haven't timed out

# If no 90m data and we haven't timed out then try Geonames 1km resolution
ENDSUB # GetElevationsFromWeb

I think the reason you aren't seeing this dialog is that you are already having the elevation information applied to the entries when you import the file.